IGNORED

John Shrader in Zambia Pt 5: Witnessing, Weeping & Wondering

happy atheist

He got the fake Zambian accent, why should he try and learn the language? John seems like the type that will pick up a couple of phrases that he will use when he goes back to America just to show off, but he isn't going to put any real effort into learning the local language.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If John doesn't speak the language, how would he know Roderick accurately interpreted what he said?

John:

"Blah, blah, blah...hot air...fake accent...yada, yada, yada..."

Roderick:

OK, so the dude just tried to make a joke. Just laugh to be polite. Think about his fake accent.

Wow. This is really boring stuff. Just nod and go "Hmm..." ever so often.

Quickly, flip through some pages of your Bibles and pretend to read along. If you're "taking notes," I'll give a stick of gum to whoever draws the best caricature of this blowhard. Wait! Don't smile just yet.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

NOW!

OK. Now show some righteous indication and nod.

Sooo...my brother-in-law is running a special on cookware at the Lusaka market this week...

I noticed that the Sunday John bragged that they had so many visitors was the Sunday they prepared a meal for after the service. People came for the free food, not to hear John preach.

How on earth are they going to tune that? Or fix whatever was damaged in transport? It makes absolutely no sense to ship a piano to Africa. I don't get this "mission" at all.

How on earth are they going to tune that? Or fix whatever was damaged in transport? It makes absolutely no sense to ship a piano to Africa. I don't get this "mission" at all.

Nothings broken on it. He says in the bit I quoted above that the original piano was damaged, so the moving company shipped them a replacement for free.

Now John can carry it on his back as he gallivants around, trying to convert the Zambian Christians into The Right Sort™ of Christians.

Nothings broken on it. He says in the bit I quoted above that the original piano was damaged, so the moving company shipped them a replacement for free.

Now John can carry it on his back as he gallivants around, trying to convert the Zambian Christians into The Right Sort™ of Christians.

Don't be silly. John isn't going to carry it. That's why he has the kids. And Roderick.

I suspect that the sending church is gullible as hell and might actually think John is living in an area with wooden huts like his family picture shows. He also made it seem like finding a piano in Zambia is almost impossible. I don't think John wants people to realize that he could run down to a modern music store and just buy a piano there, because that would take away from the illusion he has created where he is out in the middle of no where teaching "natives" about Jesus just like missionaries in the olden days.

Why the fuck has none of his supporters brought up that damn plane?! What happened to the plane? That is a hell of a lot of money to have just tossed away.

Rea has been blogging about life in Zambia.

rea.teamzambia.com/2015/08/

Dang! John even SINGS with that stupid fake accent!

If they absolutely HAD to have a piano, I would think a keyboard that runs on electricity/batteries would be more practical in terms of traveling. FG is right. That thing is going to need tuning. Can you image the havoc the rainy season will play on the strings and wooden innerworkings?

There's a reason many missionaries are encouraged to learn acoustic guitar. Of course, John always has his accordion.

Dang! John even SINGS with that stupid fake accent!

If they absolutely HAD to have a piano, I would think a keyboard that runs on electricity/batteries would be more practical in terms of traveling. FG is right. That thing is going to need tuning. Can you image the havoc the rainy season will play on the strings and wooden innerworkings?

There's a reason many missionaries are encouraged to learn acoustic guitar. Of course, John always has his accordion.

Right? Like, who in the hell would ship an entire piano to a foreign country? Why not just use an actual portable instrument? Musical accompaniment is hardly a requirement for soul winning :roll:

I just watched the videos. He is still sticking with the fake Zambian accent. :? It is awful. So awful. How can anyone take him seriously? In Part 1 of the two part video John keeps forgetting his accent and slipping into how he normally speaks before he remembers and jumps back into a fake accent.

Man I wish ShraderFriend would come back and share how people view John now that he has done crazy shit like adopt a fake accent and be dropped from his sending church.

Don't be silly. John isn't going to carry it. That's why he has the kids. And Roderick.

This brings to mind the transportation

scenes from "The Piano," for anyone who remembers that movie.

Maybe some of the locals should steal the keyboard from the Yamaha and John can barter the keys back, by:

Dropping the fake accent (gets middle C)

Losing the neckties (good for 3rd octave F#)

Breaking a sweat (Bb above middle C)

Using birth control (All G naturals)

Producing an airplane (Entire octave of his choice)

Taking his kids to a doctor (All white keys)

I just watched the videos. He is still sticking with the fake Zambian accent. :? It is awful. So awful. How can anyone take him seriously? In Part 1 of the two part video John keeps forgetting his accent and slipping into how he normally speaks before he remembers and jumps back into a fake accent.

Man I wish ShraderFriend would come back and share how people view John now that he has done crazy shit like adopt a fake accent and be dropped from his sending church.

If it were a few words here and there, I'd hold my tongue, since some people do unconsciously start mimicking the accents they're surrounded with (when I lived in China, I caught myself using some Chinese ESL-speaker pronunciations and speech patterns, not to mention slang words and speech patterns in Mandarin, and now that I live in the UK, I'm sure I'm going to start picking up some Britishisms), but this sounds so put-on and condescending.

I took a look at Shrader's videos earlier. When the pseudo-Zambian accent kicked in, I lost it. This guy can't be serious, can he? He's like a parody.

I sometimes have a hard time not slipping into a certain accent if I'm immersed in it for long enough. But I try not to because i know it bothers other people. I could see myself doing as John does, but I would be trying to retain my accent so as not to insult the locals, Nd I wouldn't blog about it proudly.

I sometimes have a hard time not slipping into a certain accent if I'm immersed in it for long enough. But I try not to because i know it bothers other people. I could see myself doing as John does, but I would be trying to retain my accent so as not to insult the locals, Nd I wouldn't blog about it proudly.

I think that's normal though. I think if you move somewhere, it's inevitable that you'll pick up the dialect, slang, and even change your accent.

I do so as well visiting the UK. My husband is from there and we have a lot of friends from there as well, so when I'm surrounded by it I find myself using some pronunciations as well. I try not to, or I'll do it occasionally if I'm someplace and I don't want to be recognized as a yank - even then I say as little as possible so I don't draw attention to myself.

And so it begins...

John Esther Shrader

4 h ·

Sick and requesting Sweet Supplications

Dearly beloved,

I've got something really bad...high fever and major head and body aches...pain when coughing...

Could you please pray for me dear friends?

Whatever this stuff is it's super nasty and I really need your prayers on my behalf.

Thank you dear friends. So thankful for your faithful prayers.

Bro. John Shrader

Zambia

Two possibilities:

1) He's not really that sick and is just milking it for attention. He'll get over it quickly and thank Jebus and essential oils for the healing.

or

2) He's actually super sick, the oils don't work and it scares him enough that he decides to come home for actual medical care, which he will later deny did anything at all.

My vote is on him being whiny/overly dramatic. He did the same with Stephen a few weeks ago.

I just hope he can keep the kids from getting whatever he has :|

He still made an alliterative title, so I'm going with not that sick, just an attention whore. Look for another post about miracles and prayers saving him from certain death.

ETA: Powerful Prayer Prevents Pain.

I feel compelled to comment on this thread tonight, with nothing of substance to add other than of all the fundies in fundieland, John Shrader makes me the maddest. I think of all of the money that this guy has burned through and can't help but think of how it could've been used wisely. Ice cubes, reams of paper, Bible cases for John instead of food, clean water, medical care, etc desperately needed all over the world. I'm speaking broadly, but hopefully my point is clear.

Also, I WORRY about the safety of his children and Esther. Every time I check this thread, I hope I won't see that someone has a fever. Hopefully John keeps his fever to himself. :(

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived