IGNORED

John Shrader in Zambia Pt 5: Witnessing, Weeping & Wondering

happy atheist

I feel compelled to comment on this thread tonight, with nothing of substance to add other than of all the fundies in fundieland, John Shrader makes me the maddest. I think of all of the money that this guy has burned through and can't help but think of how it could've been used wisely. Ice cubes, reams of paper, Bible cases for John instead of food, clean water, medical care, etc desperately needed all over the world. I'm speaking broadly, but hopefully my point is clear.

Also, I WORRY about the safety of his children and Esther. Every time I check this thread, I hope I won't see that someone has a fever. Hopefully John keeps his fever to himself. :(

Ditto. I don't even know why I'm here, because all Shrader threads do is piss me off and raise my blood pressure levels through the roof.

For the record, I think Shrader and Jim Bob are very alike. Remember that time he blew through 500K for a failed campaign when he could barely keep a roof over his kids' heads, and food on the table?

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto. I don't even know why I'm here, because all Shrader threads do is piss me off and raise my blood pressure levels through the roof.

For the record, I think Shrader and Jim Bob are very alike. Remember that time he blew through 500K for a failed campaign when he could barely keep a roof over his kids' heads, and food on the table?

The particular brand of fundie that the Shraders, Duggars, et al subscribe to is a magnet for narcissistic men with superiority and entitlement complexes.

I don't see the post about being sick on his FB page, did he remove it?

I can still see it. He posted daily updates for Thursday and Friday. As of Friday morning, he'd gotten a bit of sleep in between bouts of SEVERE nausea and was starting to feel a little better.

I can still see it. He posted daily updates for Thursday and Friday. As of Friday morning, he'd gotten a bit of sleep in between bouts of SEVERE nausea and was starting to feel a little better.

Awww, John. Bless your heart. We know just how you feel, buddy. We experience SEVERE nausea, too, when we read about your exploits.

I wonder if you have to be friends with him to see those posts because all I can see are the piano ones.

I wonder if you have to be friends with him to see those posts because all I can see are the piano ones.

I can't see the sick posts either.

Yep, you have to. I friended him and i can see his posts.

At least it's him and not the kids.

Apparently some of the kids have it now. He had it worse because he has been working so very hard and was worn down. His fever broke and he is looking forward to exposing everyone to the mystery disease at church as an attendee while one of his converts preaches.

Did anybody watch Amazing Race last night? They were in Zambia. I kept searching the crowds for John Boy.

So did I! We need to get that blessings lady to spit in his face a few times.

John has written a long rambling post where he admits he got a lot of criticism for cramming his large family into a pop-up tent(but it showed he was serious about being a missionary!) and talks about all the money people are just throwing at him. Where in the world are these fools coming from that keep tossing money to John?! It sounds like he has gotten around $7000 from his sister dying.

We were in awe how God had used the tragedy of my sister's untimely death from pancreatic cancer at 36 to accomplish something she loved and had long desired, to be a part of her only older brother's ministry and calling in Zambia. She loved me so much and I know is honored

So God used his sister dying young to get John lots of money. :angry-banghead:

Our missions philosophy is to strive to be very careful to not build a dependency mindset into the people, and so our plan is not to build building after building.

Oh yes, a dependency mindset is horrible in John's mind, at least for others. It is fine and dandy for him to expect people to give him whatever his little heart fancies. But everyone else needs to work for their shit, he isn't sharing.

There are some that would say that we've already violated this principle,

You kind of did John because you wanted to build buildings and so you got money and did that.

but the Lord (my sincere heart and desire is that it's been Him) has slightly modified my thinking on the initial start-up.

John changed his mind but he can't say that so he has to say that the Lord has "modified" this thinking. What happened is that John got to Zambia and nobody was interested in building him any buildings so fuck it, he had to build his own.

Even how some stepped up their giving for a time to make up for the loss in support from being falsely accused of preaching a false "another gospel."

John is going to hold this grudge for a very, very long time. He has the One True Gospel and nobody better say otherwise! Please send more money.

Bringing over latest discussion from the Shelter:

Have we all noticed that when John Shrader is criticized the family invariably has a crisis and needs many prayers? They are all sick now and  "dropping like flies" from some unknown ailment.  John is whining (as usual) about having a bad cough but I am more worried about the kids and Esther. 

I also notice that Bobby Bonner (previously I AM in Kafulafuta) commented on John's post about getting the land for the church really cheap.  Yet another of John's miracles from God.  Bonner thinks that the story is too good to be true and wonders whether John was suckered.  Bonner has 20 odd years experience in Zambia so may have reason for his suspicions.

I think we need to change the thread title:  Whining, weeping and wondering.

John has the thickest skull of any "missionary," "preacher," "Christian," I have ever heard about.  He doesn't learn from his mistakes (because, of course, he is right and everyone else is wrong), he doesn't adapt to the culture in which he lives, he doesn't think ahead, he adamantly holds to his hole-filled (versus "holy") opinions, he doesn't think more highly of others than of himself, and...God gets the praise (blame) for anything that incurs criticism.  BTW, is he still wearing that gold ring on his right hand?  Does he buy his Brylcreem locally or does his daddy's church ship it to him?

Brylcreem Original Hair Groom

The remarks about his sister's death are really, really low.  I hope his brothers take him to task on that.

Oh god, I just read his "field medic report" about the family's illness...it's written in the style of a 1940s news broadcast about the war :roll:

If my children were being struck with an illness that knocked a grown man on his ass for days, I don't think I'd be making jokes.

And really, illness is not a "demonic attack" or for the glory from god...IT'S JUST A VIRUS. John and his unvaxxed american children are particularly at risk for them in a new country, he's just lucky it's hasn't been worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Is John Boy still sick? I hope his kids are OK.

I presume the children have recovered from the bug.  John hasn't bothered to tell us how they are.  He has, however, got the roof on his church.  Praise the LORD.

And her is spamming his own Facebook with multiple quotes from Tozer.  I don't know who Tozer was, but if John likes him I probably don't.

I was basically accused of "heresy" or "preaching another gospel" on this same point...but many of the godly preachers of yesteryear cried out against this "easy-believe-ism" which calls for no Biblical repentance and produces no change in the life. Tozer was spot on...

I hope the kids are alright.... I hope John gets sick enough to "have to be sent back to the states." As long as the kids don't catch whatever he's got....

I hope the kids are alright.... I hope John gets sick enough to "have to be sent back to the states." As long as the kids don't catch whatever he's got....

According to John, they did and so did Esther.  He asked for prayers last week.  I'm sure he'd be milking the situation for money if they were still sick.  He's just being his usual self-absorbed self.

A.W. Tozer was a Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor and the author of many books on theology. He was not a Calvinist, but seems to be frequently quoted in Reformed circles because of his anti-easy-believism statements. (more than you wanted to know, probably).

I am fairly convinced that it takes some mental gymnastics to turn Tozer into a Calvinist (selective reading IMO).

They are several months overdue for a baby. If today was Esther's last mentral period, they'd be looking at the longest time ever between births, at about 23 months. It's possible the stress of living in Zambia has made Esther less fertile, or there were complications from the last birth that were never mentioned. I also wonder if John is so focused on whatever fun project he's currently doing that he's not as interested in sweet fellowship like he used to be. That last part I think is unlikely, but you never know. 

It's also possible she's pregnant now and John just hasn't announced it for whatever reason. The last announcement was at the end of a long letter and was only a sentence long, so perhaps he thinks a pregnancy anouncement will take attention away from him. 

Well, I have found my next fundie rabbit hole!  Please send the ferrets if I am gone more than a few days!  :ferret:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived