IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

Someone on Instagram said Jenny Lake, and I googled it and that's where they are. Same rock wall. It's in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. Looks gorgeous

wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenny_Lake

It seems like a very appropriate honeymoon spot for them-- simple,naturally beautiful. They might be staying at the Jenny Lake Lodge.

Cousin Amy, on the other hand, is sure to have some blinged out Caribbean cruise honeymoon w/ lots of fruity drinks.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like a very appropriate honeymoon spot for them-- simple,naturally beautiful. They might be staying at the Jenny Lake Lodge.

Cousin Amy, on the other hand, is sure to have some blinged out Caribbean cruise honeymoon w/ lots of fruity drinks.

Nothing wrong with fruity drinks. Dole makes a pineapple orange juice that goes great with some coconut rum. :lol:

Oh my god, the kissing pic they just posted on Instagram -- was not expecting that! I'm scandalized. They look like they figured it out a lot more quickly than Jessa and Ben though :clap:

37RNgNy.png

Wow. I did NOT expect this from Michael of all people. :pink-shock: Now if only it didn't look awkward as fuck. What is Brandon trying to do, eat her face?

Wow. I did NOT expect this from Michael of all people. :pink-shock: Now if only it didn't look awkward as fuck. What is Brandon trying to do, eat her face?

This IS a surprise! I don't think it looks awkward as fuck, though. I'm rather impressed, actually. I think they are the only recently married couple who DON'T look awkward. Maybe Brandon really does like her after all! That's a happy looking couple to me.

This IS a surprise! I don't think it looks awkward as fuck, though. I'm rather impressed, actually. I think they are the only recently married couple who DON'T look awkward. Maybe Brandon really does like her after all! That's a happy looking couple to me.

Yep -- that was my feeling. The only thing that's awkward about it is that we're seeing it :lol:

I think they look amazingly comfortable, and they certainly seem to have it figured out to me! Ain't nuttin' wrong with that picture...

The picture that has me more confused is the one with the rings. I thought they were picking out a wedding band for Michael, too - but it doesn't look like she's wearing one. Am I missing something? Looks like only her engagement ring to me.

I think they look amazingly comfortable, and they certainly seem to have it figured out to me! Ain't nuttin' wrong with that picture...

The picture that has me more confused is the one with the rings. I thought they were picking out a wedding band for Michael, too - but it doesn't look like she's wearing one. Am I missing something? Looks like only her engagement ring to me.

I just scrolled through to the first ring picture on their instagram and compared the photos. The ring definitely looks different now to me -- is it possible the engagement setting is now sitting above a band? If you look closely, it seems to match Brandon's ring in terms of the bevel or banding.

I just scrolled through to the first ring picture on their instagram and compared the photos. The ring definitely looks different now to me -- is it possible the engagement setting is now sitting above a band? If you look closely, it seems to match Brandon's ring in terms of the bevel or banding.

I kinda see what could be a ring wedding ring sitting almost under the engagement ring in the hand picture. Of course, I'm not sure because of the odd placement if it is a wedding band - how would it actually be under there? Isn't it also backwards? As in, I always wear my wedding ring closest to my heart then my engagement ring. So, wedding ring on first, then engagement ring for me. I guess that may just be the tradition I'm used to. Of course, I also tried to look closely at the rings off their fingers, and I really can't see a wedding band in that one at all. I'm obsessed! I love looking at wedding rings. I'm determined to figure this one out.

I kinda see what could be a ring wedding ring sitting almost under the engagement ring in the hand picture. Of course, I'm not sure because of the odd placement if it is a wedding band - how would it actually be under there? Isn't it also backwards? As in, I always wear my wedding ring closest to my heart then my engagement ring. So, wedding ring on first, then engagement ring for me. I guess that may just be the tradition I'm used to. Of course, I also tried to look closely at the rings off their fingers, and I really can't see a wedding band in that one at all. I'm obsessed! I love looking at wedding rings. I'm determined to figure this one out.

Hmm, yeah there's not a way to get a good look at the band. I still haven't figured out how the wrap Ben designed for Jessa works, either. Same-hand wedding and engagement rings are a total mystery to me though -- in my family's tradition (and I always assumed this is how everyone did it if they had two rings), the engagement ring is moved to the right hand on the wedding day and the wedding band replaces it on the left -- so the rings are always on different fingers and they don't match or wrap or do anything crazy. I know you can get matching sets for the same hand these days though.

I will be honest.....Michael is one of my favorite Bates because she reminds me of a lot of...me. Me when I was fundie. And if I'm right in any regard about this assumption, she has a secret, deep-seeded hate for everything fundie and is slightly obsessed with sex (hehehe). :romance-inlove: I'm not surprised. This gives me hope I'm right. It's still within the rules, but it's like saying "FUCK YOU" in your own little way without it being technically wrong.

...Or you know, at least I can imagine that. :D

I will be honest.....Michael is one of my favorite Bates because she reminds me of a lot of...me. Me when I was fundie. And if I'm right in any regard about this assumption, she has a secret, deep-seeded hate for everything fundie and is slightly obsessed with sex (hehehe). :romance-inlove: I'm not surprised. This gives me hope I'm right. It's still within the rules, but it's like saying "FUCK YOU" in your own little way without it being technically wrong.

...Or you know, at least I can imagine that. :D

If you don't mind me asking (in your opinion), why would Michael marry someone that works for headquarters if she hates fundamentalism so much?

[attachment=0]11902229_734932446612636_8047559834925480634_n.jpg[/attachment]

Aww, Allie Jane is a cute little thing! Nice to see her without a flower headband.

I remember an article or an interview where he mentions the Lord leading him to leave his job and Nabisco to spend more time with his kids and that he was worried because the company van was the one they drove, but then someone gave him a van so it was all good. I've gone back and looked at the original threads where the Bates were first brought up and there are lots of discussions about how crazy it was he quit is job. I think this "laid off" is a retelling of history to make them look less crazy.

But even if he did get laid off, and at that time the only thing he could do was cut trees, once he realized he wasn't making enough money, why didn't he start looking at other options?

Lawson is a hard worker because in all the articles and interviews Gil mentions that the tree business was a family thing were all the oldest boys helped Gil out, and this included Lawson. So Lawson, ran his own business, had to help Gil cut trees, plus had to help pay his family's bills and buy groceries.

This is likely old news now, but I bought an Embassy institute membership for a while when I was dabbling in sipping le kool-aid, and I vaguely remember watching/reading a Gothard video/post where he mentions Gil wanting to leave because he didn't think the job he held was "godly" job, meaning that manual labor/serving others was going to be more acceptable and Gothard kind of poo-pooing that because you can be useful anywhere. Still I think he helped Gil figure out how to get out from under "the man." Like I said, this is a vague memory. As I'm finishing typing this, I'm now thinking it was a video where Gil was telling the story.

Even so, that indicates that when he did leave the job, it was willingly.

I think they said in the ring shopping episode of BUB that Brandon hadn't thought of what wedding band would go with the engagement ring when he designed it, so she may have gotten one that sits under it in order to work with the special design of her engagement ring which has a lot of curves to it and might not have fit well with a band. When I got married 20+ years ago the wrap around wedding band/engagement ring combo was really popular, but I wanted to wear my rings separately so I wore my wedding band on my left ring finger first with my engagement ring above it. (I had friends who had their rings soldered together after the wedding for convenience.) My husband and I have matching gold wedding bands and I had my engagement solitaire made into a necklace pendant on our fifth anniversary, so it depends. When I lived in Denmark, married people wore their wedding bands on their right hands, so once again, it depends.

And as for Brandon and Michaela kissing - she's waited long enough to be physical with him - good to see things are moving along!

Just to be clear, I agree that they look comfortable and happy together. Good for them! What I meant was that the kiss itself (as in, the lips) look super awkward. Like, both of her lips are inside his mouth (you probably have to look at the original on IG to see that) and I think that's really weird. Now I'm weirding myself out for overanalyzing other people's kisses. But, ya know, if you post a picture like that on your public Instagram, you gotta live with people talking about it.

(FTR: I get that it doesn't actually matter what I think of their kiss, or what you guys think. 8-) Hopefully they're happy and, you know, will surprise us by leaving fundamentalism and becoming pro-choice activists. What, a girl can't dream around here?! :cracking-up:)

Oh my god, the kissing pic they just posted on Instagram -- was not expecting that! I'm scandalized. They look like they figured it out a lot more quickly than Jessa and Ben though :clap:

37RNgNy.png

!!! I've been stalking her instagram (no shame) since the wedding but I figured she must've been real ~busy since she hadn't updated. Imagine my surprise when I checked today and that jumped out at me! They look real happy and a lot more comfortable than I expected. I was kinda scared for Michaela because she seems to be the most fundamentalist of all her sisters and I know that can be overwhelming. But she's catching on and seems happy about it lmao! I'm happy for them.

Aww, Allie Jane is a cute little thing! Nice to see her without a flower headband.

OMG, yes! I only have two boys so I don't understand the head band thing on babies. They look adorable but I'd have to imagine they'd hurt after awhile. Headbands, ponytails, clips of any sort kill me personally after wearing them for a bit. Wonder if that's the same for a baby? I've had some headaches from hell from making my hair look pretty. Anyway, she's so adorable...

I think they said in the ring shopping episode of BUB that Brandon hadn't thought of what wedding band would go with the engagement ring when he designed it, so she may have gotten one that sits under it in order to work with the special design of her engagement ring which has a lot of curves to it and might not have fit well with a band. When I got married 20+ years ago the wrap around wedding band/engagement ring combo was really popular, but I wanted to wear my rings separately so I wore my wedding band on my left ring finger first with my engagement ring above it. (I had friends who had their rings soldered together after the wedding for convenience.) My husband and I have matching gold wedding bands and I had my engagement solitaire made into a necklace pendant on our fifth anniversary, so it depends. When I lived in Denmark, married people wore their wedding bands on their right hands, so once again, it depends.

And as for Brandon and Michaela kissing - she's waited long enough to be physical with him - good to see things are moving along!

My mom had the wrap too, so she could never wear her rings separately. I actually learned from that a bit I think, because I wanted to be able to wear just a band if I wanted to. I have a plain solitaire with a plain band so I can't do just that. The only time the engagement ring goes on is if I'm leaving the house - sometimes not even then! I couldn't imagine having them soldered or having an intricately designed ring that made it into a wear it all or nothing scenario. But, that's just me. I'm a plain and simple girl and not a jewelry person. I do love looking at wedding rings, though! Not sure where that obsession came from. I also find all of the ring customs fascinating!

I remember that episode, so I am definitely waiting with bated breath (no pun intended) to see if she explains it. I'll figure this one out yet. :D

Michaela looks adorable, relaxed and they really seem so comfortable together. I think I'd even go as far as to say that they seem the most comfortable at this point than any of the married couples did. That's a hot kiss for sure, and I say good for them!

!!! I've been stalking her instagram (no shame) since the wedding but I figured she must've been real ~busy since she hadn't updated. Imagine my surprise when I checked today and that jumped out at me! They look real happy and a lot more comfortable than I expected. I was kinda scared for Michaela because she seems to be the most fundamentalist of all her sisters and I know that can be overwhelming. But she's catching on and seems happy about it lmao! I'm happy for them.

She's the most modest, yet modest doesn't necessarily mean inhibited, ignorant or sheltered. Actually, I have the impression that Michael is the one who knows exactly what she wants and won't let others talk her into something she's not comfortable with. Modesty doesn't necessarily mean afraid of getting physical with someone. She's been shown to really enjoy being close and together with Brandon, I always assumed she really anticipated living a married life with him rather than having her fundie princess wedding dreams fulfilled.

ETA: Just looked at their honeymoon pics and well, they're newbies to kissing so I'll give them a pass. Most likely it went down like this:

Brandon:"So glad we're done with all the annoying wedding stuff"

Michael: "Yeah, so glad that's over. Now people will want to know how we're liking married life"

Brandon: "Well then let's show them" *Puts camera on autotimer* *tries to pose as naturally as possible (of course,looks even more staged)* *bents down to Michael* 3...2...1.. *docks on her lips*... Extremely sweet from afar, extremely awkward up close kissing picture DONE.

Now all I can say is they both, Brandon especially, look so happy and relaxed in the honeymoon pictures that I think he really loves her and enjoys being with her but is so glad the circus is finally over. I guess Michael was willing to overcome her stage-fright and engage in all the big ATI wedding circus stuff for the sake of her over-excited family and their TV show, but Brandon was really intimidated and that's why he seemed so uncomfortable lately.

Is it weird that my first thought was "wait, who's taking the photo?"

Is it weird that my first thought was "wait, who's taking the photo?"

My bet is on auto timer and that's why the kissing pic looks so weird. It's not easy to shoot natural looking kissing pictures with a professional photographer and an experienced couple. Just imagine how awkward it is being all new to kissing and having that auto timer countdown running in the background.

I'm just happy that we have a fundies new to kissing photo that doesn't involve that weird Duggar head angle.

The closest Nabisco facility to the Bates is in Morristown, Tennessee, which isn't far from Knoxville. They are hiring. Per a friend of mind there wasn't a layoff that fits the Bates timeline.

Archived