IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

Last night Erin said she can't look at Carson without picturing him with a brother. I thought oh boy, here it is, the kids a month old and they're talking about another one. But then she said that before they have anymore kids she needs to get some sleep. And that having kids was hard and she was still learning how to be a parent. So I'm hoping it won't be too soon.

Uh, it's entirely possible, even if she is capable of having a ton of kids, that she never has another boy. I once met a woman with 12 daughters and one son (the dad just had to have a boy). I hope she knows that.

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? If he went through a legitimate Academy (which seems likely to me) then good for Zach! It takes a good deal of time, patience, and hard work to get through the Police Academy. Here's hoping he has a fulfilling and long career!

Also, I love how proud Whit and Erin seemed when they posted the pictures!

I have never understood when people have an aversion to having a job along with an affinity for having lots of kids. Good for Zach for breaking that trend.

There are women training in that class, I wonder Zach thinks of working with strong minded tough women who don't expect to submit to men and are prepared to take down men physically on the street?

Must be a bit of a shock :pink-shock:

Still maybe getting to know educated opinionated self reliant women will positively change the expectations he has for his potential future daughters :pray:

I have never understood when people have an aversion to having a job along with an affinity for having lots of kids. Good for Zach for breaking that trend.

It's interesting that all the married Bates children have chosen mates who hold more traditional jobs with regular pay or, in Zach's case, is pursing a career after marriage. Chad has some sort of supervisor or administrative position at the scrap metal yard (Zach worked there too). John Webster works for his family's air conditioning business as well as cleaning offices at night. Brandon may be working for Gothard but at least it's an actual paid position. I'm sure they would never admit it, but I do think the older children remember the stability of Gil holding a regular job and want something different for their families. The whole only working in the family business ideology held by Gothard, Geoffrey Botkin, Steve Maxwell, etc. is just not sustainable with so many stay-at-home children. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more adult kids from these families looking for work in the real world.

I could see the adult, married kids liking the idea of having a steady income and being on an insurance plan vs. Gil's occasional tree work and going to the ER.

Honestly, I don't think Zach cares at all about ATI and Gothard. I think he's ditched the fundie believes once courtship #1 didn't work out and he dated a girl with a job, wearing pants and they kissed before marriage. He sees beyond the sham that is the Gothard life.

I could see the adult, married kids liking the idea of having a steady income and being on an insurance plan vs. Gil's occasional tree work and going to the ER.

Honestly, I don't think Zach cares at all about ATI and Gothard. I think he's ditched the fundie believes once courtship #1 didn't work out and he dated a girl with a job, wearing pants and they kissed before marriage. He sees beyond the sham that is the Gothard life.

Eh, I think he's still fundie. But more fundie-lite than his parents. Whit wears skirts exclusively (isn't there that rumour that Kelly tried to persuade her that way?) but she didn't come from an ATI background, whereas Brandon, John and Chad did. It's probably different cos Whit's female though, there hasn't been another male Bates courting yet. Kelly and Gil might be more stringent over the potential husbands than over the potential wives, because it's the potential courting partner who'll be the headship, not the Bates being the headship. Hope that makes sense...

Lawson Bates on twitter posted photo of him and one of the Duggar boys at a Razorback football game.

Also noticed a photo earlier in the day of Benessa in Ark. football gear babbling about football.

this was an article, looks like legit training. I mean, it isn't like the official Police Academy, but looks like some legit beginners training to get them started.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/bcso- ... 089bd.html

I wouldn't argue that it isn't "official"-- the article says it is "Blount County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy." -- even though it indeed just beginner training. But still, I congratulate Zach on completing his secular training course!

I wouldn't argue that it isn't "official"-- the article says it is "Blount County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy." -- even though it indeed just beginner training. But still, I congratulate Zach on completing his secular training course!

It also says "The training academy, certified through the state Peace Officers Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Commission, takes place at the BCSO training facility off William Blount Drive in Maryville. Some of the activities, like the self-defense course, are held inside the Blount County E-911 Emergency Communications Center building."

I don't know how that's not official when the state has certified it.

I have always felt like the Bates kids grew up to be hard working because they spent their childhoods with a grifting father who expected people to give him stuff. They probably don't want to live that way anymore.

Eh, I think he's still fundie. But more fundie-lite than his parents. Whit wears skirts exclusively (isn't there that rumour that Kelly tried to persuade her that way?) but she didn't come from an ATI background, whereas Brandon, John and Chad did. It's probably different cos Whit's female though, there hasn't been another male Bates courting yet. Kelly and Gil might be more stringent over the potential husbands than over the potential wives, because it's the potential courting partner who'll be the headship, not the Bates being the headship. Hope that makes sense...

Glad to hear that Zach completed his training. It's a good first step for him.

Agree that Zach is more fundie-lite than his parents. Still think that the first failed courtship was probably an eye-opener for him. He was the first Bates kid to court and his parents decided to go by the book with no touching, etc., etc. When that didn't work out that it was a huge shock to both Zach and his parents. This was not what was supposed to happen. You do xyz in courtship and viola, you get engaged, then married, the process is supposed to avoid giving away pieces of your heart and being hurt. Didn't happen.

I do see one similarity between Whit and Sarah: both had a lot more going than your average SAHD. Whit was going to school and had a job, Sarah had her career with her family band and was obviously very talented. That says something about Zach. He's attracted to women who have something going for themselves.

As far as Whitney being "convicted" to wear skirts, well I would like to bet that she wears them at home, I hardly think Zach objects to it. Also, now knowing a bit more of her background, she was probably happy to join a large family and was "convicted" in order to fit in.

Let's see where Whit and Zach are 10 years from now. I bet they will be at the very least fundie-lite but I wouldn't be surprised if they go more mainstream over time.

I have always felt like the Bates kids grew up to be hard working because they spent their childhoods with a grifting father who expected people to give him stuff. They probably don't want to live that way anymore.

And the fact they had to work to help support the family. I don't think for a moment that Lawson has been the only one helping out. I suspect Erin's earnings from piano teaching and Alyssa's flower shop earnings helped out too.

One good thing for the married kids is that their earnings can help support their own families now.

One Duggar vs. Bates thing I've always noticed--the Bates seem to be genuinely proud of their kids accomplishments in areas other than marriage & procreation. They were very proud of Erin's college graduation and proud of Zach's police academy graduation. The Duggars rarely mention home school graduations, & did anyone other than Jessa celebrate Ben's community college graduation? The FJ air traffic controllers have noticed that JD recently passed a pilot certification (instrument rating, perhaps?) but it hasn't been mentioned by his family.

All the Duggars seem to want their kids to do is "love the lord," "have a servant's heart" and make babies for Jesus.

One Duggar vs. Bates thing I've always noticed--the Bates seem to be genuinely proud of their kids accomplishments in areas other than marriage & procreation. They were very proud of Erin's college graduation and proud of Zach's police academy graduation. The Duggars rarely mention home school graduations, & did anyone other than Jessa celebrate Ben's community college graduation? The FJ air traffic controllers have noticed that JD recently passed a pilot certification (instrument rating, perhaps?) but it hasn't been mentioned by his family.

All the Duggars seem to want their kids to do is "love the lord," "have a servant's heart" and make babies for Jesus.

And this is why the Bates are more dangerous. I look at the Bates and have that momentary thought of "I could hang out with these people." The Duggars have always been odd balls, nothing about them ever made we want to be friends with them. I still wonder how the Duggars got the blessing to be the poster family for Gothard when I think Bates are a better option.

And this is why the Bates are more dangerous. I look at the Bates and have that momentary thought of "I could hang out with these people." The Duggars have always been odd balls, nothing about them ever made we want to be friends with them. I still wonder how the Duggars got the blessing to be the poster family for Gothard when I think Bates are a better option.

In ATI the Bates are a poster family, the Duggars just got more national attention because of the TV show. Gil and Kelly do a lot for IBLP and ATI. They teach classes(about grifting and popping out baby after baby even if you don't have a steady income) and speak at conferences. I am pretty sure the whole family performs on the stage during the yearly conferences too. Gil and Kelly are more educated about how they need to portray themselves to the rest of the world so that part of their life isn't as well known.

Please can the new thread have one of the names suggested ealier/anything more exciting than Bates Family - Part 4?

While I have no doubt that Zach will remain a conservative Christian, I don't get the impression he is drowning in the Gothard Koolaid like some others (Brandon, The FAB David Waller etc). He did undertook training for a real, bonafide career/job rather than 'taking his financial needs to the Lord' and I for some reason I can't really explain, I easily see him and Whitney being strategic with pregnancies so he doesn't end up with more kids than he can afford. I don't see them being the type to try and pop out as many as humanly possible to build a 'Quiverfull trophy case' of kids.

(Actually, out of all the married Bates kids...I don't see any of them as the type to do that. I think Michaella will have a biggish family, but not as 'trophies' but because she seems to type to genuinely want a few kids, she seems to genuinely like looking after children. Chad/Erin will likely have a small family with her health issues, and I can see Alyssa having three or four...maaaaybe five before 30 and then God just happens to decide to stop blessing her around then).

Way to go Zach! Police training, even at the beginner level, is usually quite challenging. I too hope that this is a step in the right direction (ie, out of fundiedom).

Archived