IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Bates have skeletons, I would think this whole Duggar thing is making them very itchy.

If I were in Kelly and Gil's shoes, and I knew we had skeletons, I would call it quits on the show right now, because it just seems inevitable that those skeletons will emerge.

One thing that I think is a big advantage for the Bates kids, is that they all seem much less sheltered and isolated. I mean, in all the Duggar shows, we have really only seen them with Michelle's family once, and other than Amy ( and sometimes her mom), no other real relatives.

With the Bates we have seen them fairly often with their more mainstream grandparents/aunts/uncles and cousins.

I get the feeling that JB was happy to keep Michelle away from her family, and just raise their child army away from everyone else, where as the Bates seem to welcome and embrace their extended families. Seeing the Bates kids with their adopted cousins, seemed like they were fairly close and spent time together as they were growing up.

I feel like, with the Duggars, they have this arrogant attitude that they are superior and better Christians, parents, etc, and everyone should want to be like them. Where as I don't get that feeling from Gil and Kelly. They seem to have some insight that many people would find their lifestyle interesting, but not want to adopt it.

I think JB and M really wanted to convert people to their wacky beliefs through the show. Where as I think Gil and Kelly are more like "Here we are, this is how we live some of the time" True, I am sure that on some level they hope that they might draw some to their cult, but it doesn't feel as obvious to me.

You can almost here JimBob saying "to be more godly you should be like us". For the Bates it feels more like 'This is how we are, or at least how we want you to think we are, and if you are entertained by that great, if you want to learn more about our beliefs, that is great too". At the end of the day, the Bates are showcasing a loving and fun view of big family life, where as the Duggars were showcasing, a "we are better Christians than you are so you should try to be like us"

It can and has been argued, that the Bates have the potential to be more "dangerous" because they are just naturally warmer and more charming. Their lack of arrogant superiority makes their message more subversive, where as JB and M were more offputting from the start because of that very arrogant and we know how to be better Christians than you do" attitude.

Had the Bates, in their current incarnation been the first big family to be featured on a bigger network, I think they would have been far more influential in bringing in even more people to ATI.

I wonder why it was that JB and M were the ones that seemed to attract the most attention? They are both much less attractive people, their kids are cute, but lets be honest, as a whole the Bates kids are much better looking and have more spontaneous personalities.

So how is it the Duggars were given the brass ring to be the poster family for ATI/Gothardism, etc?

I also, don't get the "vibe" the Bates have "skeletons" to hide the way the Duggars have. I was not at all surprised when these things came out about Josh. When you look at the Duggars and play that childhood game "one of these things is not like the others", my eye immediately went to Josh. I had no idea it would be so sexual.

The married Bates kids seem to truly love their spouses. I never got that vibe from Josh. Since he was the first to marry, I though, maybe he was just holding it in for appearances. Then, seeing all the now married Bates, plus Jill and Jessa, I don't think he was ever in love with Anna. I think he does care for her. I'm not sure if Anna was ever in love with Josh. I see it more as being "in love with being in love". Or, kind of like your first real middle school "crush". In her case, the boy DID ask her out and married her. Her upbringing has trained her how to be the "prefect" fundie wife and mother.

The reason the Duggars got their own show is that a photo was taken of the family on Election Day when Jim Bob was running for the Senate. There were 13 kids back then. The photo was published in the New York Times and was seen by someone who works for Parents Magazine who wrote an article about the family that was published in the magazine. Someone who works for Discovery TV saw the article and decided to do some specials about the family, which led to a TLC show. There's no way the Bateses would've gotten a show instead of the Duggars because no one knew who they were at the time the Duggars got their own show. People only know who they are because they appeared on 19KAC.

The Bates: 19 Kids and Protecting a Cult Leader Who Just Happens to be a Sexual Predator.

Crown College = a place to find the one God has chosen for you.

That we know of.

We have no clue really. Just because there's alleged absence of physical abuse doesnt mean there's no emotional abuse, control, or manipulation. The scary thing is none of the Bates kids have shown no signs of major rebellion and i dont mean just wearing pants or taking a couple of classes at Clown err Crown college.

The Bateses may seem warm on tv, but from comments I read on other articles,I get a different vibe. Gil goes around telling women they should quit their jobs. One comment was from a woman who met them when the last Bates was born. Gil asked her how many kids she had she said none because she used birth control and they acted like she had the plague.I take this with a grain of salt but wouldn't put it past them. They are also great grifters. Alyssa is barely 20 , married a year, and has a baby already.Her DH is a prominent members of ATI. I don't give them a pass at all.

Some Bates and Duggars went to Sadie Robertson's (duck dynasty) "live original" festival yesterday

liveoriginal.com/liveoriginallive/

pics:

Josie and Whitney iconosquare.com/p/1063261735071520887_1504273333

Trace with Zach/Josiah in the background

iconosquare.com/p/1063141474418697261_247973464

Josiah

iconosquare.com/p/1063044406477915162_40821344

Oh here's that pic of Nathan and the salyers:

iconosquare.com/p/1052609860229582094_1381725946

Some Bates and Duggars went to Sadie Robertson's (duck dynasty) "live original" festival yesterday

liveoriginal.com/liveoriginallive/

pics:

Josie and Whitney iconosquare.com/p/1063261735071520887_1504273333

Trace with Zach/Josiah in the background

iconosquare.com/p/1063141474418697261_247973464

Josiah

iconosquare.com/p/1063044406477915162_40821344

Oh here's that pic of Nathan and the salyers:

iconosquare.com/p/1052609860229582094_1381725946

Josiah is spending a lot of time latelly with the Bates, and he doesnt seem afected at all by the broken courtship.

Mmmh thats a proper side hug between Nathan and Ashley, i know the Bates aprove side hugs with regular friends, but they seem close, who knows maybe they are indeed courting.

If the Bates have skeletons, I would think this whole Duggar thing is making them very itchy.

If I were in Kelly and Gil's shoes, and I knew we had skeletons, I would call it quits on the show right now, because it just seems inevitable that those skeletons will emerge.

I have no idea if the family has skeletons in their closet. Nothing has come to light but if there are some, then yeah, I would expect them to be watching the Duggar situation very closely and nervously. Not sure that if they would call quits on the show in that case because I don't think they could stand to say no to the money.

I won't assume that because of their similarities to the Duggars that means that there has to be something. The one thing that does make me concerned is that they have supported, and continue to support, a known sexual predator. But that in itself doesn't mean that sketchy things have gone on within the family.

While I think the family is just as dangerous as the Duggars in terms of their beliefs, for now, I will grant the benefit of the doubt on any skeletons being in their closets based simply on no information. However if any emerge, it won't shock me either.

I have no idea if the family has skeletons in their closet. Nothing has come to light but if there are some, then yeah, I would expect them to be watching the Duggar situation very closely and nervously. Not sure that if they would call quits on the show in that case because I don't think they could stand to say no to the money.

I won't assume that because of their similarities to the Duggars that means that there has to be something. The one thing that does make me concerned is that they have supported, and continue to support, a known sexual predator. But that in itself doesn't mean that sketchy things have gone on within the family.

While I think the family is just as dangerous as the Duggars in terms of their beliefs, for now, I will grant the benefit of the doubt on any skeletons being in their closets based simply on no information. However if any emerge, it won't shock me either.

No clue if the Bates have any skeletons in their closet, but I bet even if they do they'd keep right on with the show because they need to grab that money while they can. I couldn't tell you which family are better at grifting, the Duggars or the Bates.

As per Erin Paine's instagram, Carlin Bates is back in the states. She's riding a ferris wheel with Erin and Josie in Dollywood. I wonder if that means Jill and Derrick are going to be back in town for Amy's wedding?

As per Erin Paine's instagram, Carlin Bates is back in the states. She's riding a ferris wheel with Erin and Josie in Dollywood. I wonder if that means Jill and Derrick are going to be back in town for Amy's wedding?

I'm sure they will be! They have lots of people giving them money for their "mission". They should be able to spend it traveling back and forth to the states! . :roll:

From the Bates Family Blog (run by leghumpers Ellie and Lily):

Two weeks after their wedding in Knoxville, Tennessee, newlyweds Michaela (Bates) Keilen and Brandon Keilen are headed back to their new home in Chicago, Illinois, where Brandon is on staff with a local ministry. They spent their honeymoon in the picturesque, American Rocky Mountains.

Local ministry, of course, meaning ATI/IBLP. The apple does not fall far from the tree, especially if it meets another apple from a different tree.

I'm sure they will be! They have lots of people giving them money for their "mission". They should be able to spend it traveling back and forth to the states! . :roll:

I'll actually defend them--we don't know that they are using funds given for missionary work for travel to and fro. Most mission organizations give a trip every few years. My guess is that the family pays for their travel. The Duggars are in no way broke. That they gave folks the opportunity to Give them money [before they took it down] is like a "love offering" to a revival preacher. Jim-Bob is very well off these days. Plus did they get frequent flier miles as part of the "travel the world on TLC deal"? If so, SWEET!

No, back to our regularly scheduled snarking.... Because there's just so much we can discuss! Like free admission to Dollywood....

No clue if the Bates have any skeletons in their closet, but I bet even if they do they'd keep right on with the show because they need to grab that money while they can. I couldn't tell you which family are better at grifting, the Duggars or the Bates.

I bet Gil has seem some very questionable things at IBLP's headquarters. Maybe even some Gothard perving? But I agree they'll hold on to the show as long as they can. They don't seem to be as well off as the Duggars are.

Duggar family blog posted some photos of carlin and joy in guatemala, i hope they got to do anything else that babysiting Israel... also aparently the spanish language course was only a 2 week course, and it already ended, so the Dillards are free to come back for Amys wedding, i wonder if they did travell back with the girls, i would be shocked that they let the girls take a international plane travel alone.

Duggar family blog posted some photos of carlin and joy in guatemala, i hope they got to do anything else that babysiting Israel... also aparently the spanish language course was only a 2 week course, and it already ended, so the Dillards are free to come back for Amys wedding, i wonder if they did travell back with the girls, i would be shocked that they let the girls take a international plane travel alone.

Part of me is annoyed by the idea that Carlin & Joy perhaps spent all day every day of the trip babysitting Israel while Jill & Derick were in class. But part of me says that for Joy, anyplace is better than the Duggar compound right now, and at least they got to do a bit of sightseeing, without their parents, and only 1 child to take care of instead of a whole handful.

I thought it was against Gothard tenets to work for a person other than yourself?

If this is true, how can some of these people work in businesses outside the home and still consider themselves part of Gothardism?

I thought it was against Gothard tenets to work for a person other than yourself?

If this is true, how can some of these people work in businesses outside the home and still consider themselves part of Gothardism?

If the boss is like-minded it can be done.

Archived