IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

Was it Carlin who had the totally awkward shopping scene with Erin when they were getting ready for Whitneys baby shower?

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it Carlin who had the totally awkward shopping scene with Erin when they were getting ready for Whitneys baby shower?

Yup.

The word I was looking for is 'pushy'. Carlin's quest for attention and patronizing know-it-all attitude paints her as the stereotypical pushy backseat driver. Don't get me wrong, I think those girls will definitely grow it out once they get older. Also,not everyone needs to be shy and humble like Michaell. Of course there's always a big grey space between being a doormat and a pushy smart-ass.

Hanging out on the dock during lighting wasn't much safer then actually being in the water. They should have moved far away.

So true, any place near water is a dangerous place to be during lightning, whether it's a dock or beach.

How is that role play then? :lol:

I think Jana&Michael and Carlin&Joy are the really authentic friends when it comes to Duggars and Bateses. Maybe Zach and John David, but I don't think the rest are too fond of each other. :whistle:

JD was Zach's best man, so I'm guessing they're pretty close. I think Jill and Erin are pretty close (IIRC their ages are days apart as are Jana and Michael). I don't see Jessa or Jinger as close to any of the Bates girls, as with Alyssa and the Duggar girls.

Not sure about the younger kids. I think if a Duggar Bates marriage happens, it will be with Joy or younger on the Duggar side. I'm going to go out on a limb and keep the Jackson Johannah thing going, only she ends up with Jackson Bates.

JD was Zach's best man, so I'm guessing they're pretty close. I think Jill and Erin are pretty close (IIRC their ages are days apart as are Jana and Michael). I don't see Jessa or Jinger as close to any of the Bates girls, as with Alyssa and the Duggar girls.

Not sure about the younger kids. I think if a Duggar Bates marriage happens, it will be with Joy or younger on the Duggar side. I'm going to go out on a limb and keep the Jackson Johannah thing going, only she ends up with Jackson Bates.

I would add Joseph and Lawson(and maybe Nathan?)

I find Tori and Carlin to be over the top on the show, but that might just be their TV personas amplifying their natural teenage-ness. Personally I find it refreshing that they have personalities and aren't just stating the party line and keeping sweet and smiling all the time. I think also a lot of people compare the Duggar and Bates families so that they have parity, but with the Duggars there's a swath of girls, then boys, then girls, whereas with the Bateseses there is a more even distribution of genders down the line so the ages/genders of the middle kids don't line up as closely. I would say the older Duggar girls are taken as a unit often (especially after their book came out) whereas on the Bates' current show Lawson, Trace, and Nathan are lumped together more often as the single brothers.

I've always thought Tori is extremely pretty. Even as a little girl she had that "I'm going to be gorgeous when I grow up" look about her.

Carlin is too scatter brained for me. Hopefully, she'll grow out of it. Some of the little girls (Callie?) have very cute personalities and Jeb and Judson are too cute for words.

I've always thought Tori is extremely pretty. Even as a little girl she had that "I'm going to be gorgeous when I grow up" look about her.

Carlin is too scatter brained for me. Hopefully, she'll grow out of it. Some of the little girls (Callie?) have very cute personalities and Jeb and Judson are too cute for words.

I agree so much! Tori is beautiful and charming, Carlin not so much.. Even Tori told her to stop once in BUB :lol:

Callie is cute as a button!

Carlin doesn't actually bother me too much. She's a 17 year old girl and 17 year old girls tend to be a little obnoxious. Being a middle child in such a huge family probably reinforces her 'need' to get a bit of attention. I do like that she has a personality other than 'keeping sweet'.

I also like that she is genuinely friends with Joy Duggar. Joy needs a friend outside the disaster that is her family, even if its another fundie. I kinda keep secretly hoping they decide to run away to a secular college together next summer and get proper educations. That is one gofundme page I'll happily throw a $100 donation to.

I do find Tori incredibly endearing though. I feel like she'd be fun to hang out with even if she is a fundie.

Carlin doesn't actually bother me too much. She's a 17 year old girl and 17 year old girls tend to be a little obnoxious. Being a middle child in such a huge family probably reinforces her 'need' to get a bit of attention. I do like that she has a personality other than 'keeping sweet'.

I also like that she is genuinely friends with Joy Duggar. Joy needs a friend outside the disaster that is her family, even if its another fundie. I kinda keep secretly hoping they decide to run away to a secular college together next summer and get proper educations. That is one gofundme page I'll happily throw a $100 donation to.

I do find Tori incredibly endearing though. I feel like she'd be fun to hang out with even if she is a fundie.

You're definitely onto something with her being a middle child in a huge family. That got me thinking, I wonder if part of it isn't caused by her being so close to Tori. I'm sure people compared them all the time and Tori is naturally very loud and outgoing and funny. I wouldn't be surprised to know that Carlin was overcompensating and trying to be more like Tori, even subconsciously.

Plenty of kids get into habits that they find it hard to break as they get older because it's become such an intrinsic part of the way they act.

You're definitely onto something with her being a middle child in a huge family. That got me thinking, I wonder if part of it isn't caused by her being so close to Tori. I'm sure people compared them all the time and Tori is naturally very loud and outgoing and funny. I wouldn't be surprised to know that Carlin was overcompensating and trying to be more like Tori, even subconsciously.

Plenty of kids get into habits that they find it hard to break as they get older because it's become such an intrinsic part of the way they act.

I watched a few eps of United Bates a couple of days ago and Carlin appeared quiet and reserved, not loud and obnoxious at all. I think you're right. She overcompensates being so close to Tori, who is naturally bubbly and speaking her mind.

I watched a few eps of United Bates a couple of days ago and Carlin appeared quiet and reserved, not loud and obnoxious at all. I think you're right. She overcompensates being so close to Tori, who is naturally bubbly and speaking her mind.

Hmm interesting. I kind of want to watch them now and see how they differe between that show and BUB.

I wasn't busy and I am a TEENSY bit tipsy from plum wine, so I decided to go ahead and watch the United Bates. The first episode has Jeb being born and he has trouble breathing when he was born. I will NEVER understand how fundies can go on saying that there is no risk to the mother having babies as they get older when so many of them have problems! Michelle had a premature birth and a miscarriage, Kelly had Jeb who had breathing problems, and Erika Shupe had a miscarriage. These are only the ones I know off the top of my head.

I mean, if anything, they could say that God makes it harder on older women on purpose to make sure they are worthy or some shit like that. It would be easy enough to find "reasoning" for. But instead they just stick their heads in the sand and are like "nope nope nope nope nope." :angry-banghead:

Uhh guys, I am confused. Episode 2 of United Bates everywhere I've seen it is the Papa Bill's Farm episode. But that's an episode of BUB and the ages in that episode are different than they are in the first episode. How did all of these sources get that wrong? Weird.

Another characteristic of teenage girls = they really, really, really want to be liked. They haven't hit that point in your mid twenties where you no longer give a flying f**k what anyone else thinks of you.

Combine that with the 'middle child in a huge family' factor and you have a girl who wants to be noticed and seen as funny/cool/etc etc and tried to be like her cool, and funny big sister.

Uhh guys, I am confused. Episode 2 of United Bates everywhere I've seen it is the Papa Bill's Farm episode. But that's an episode of BUB and the ages in that episode are different than they are in the first episode. How did all of these sources get that wrong? Weird.

Not sure if I understand the question competely, but I believe they did an episode visiting Papa Bill's farm for both BUB and UBA. In United Bates they visited the farm and you got the distinct impression Grandma Janey was thrilled to see them leave. In BUB they visited for Thanksgiving and again seemed to overwhelm Janey.

in the BUB episode we also saw more of Gil's brother and his family.

I enjoyed the Thanksgiving episode, Carlin's table walking not withstanding. I really loved the scene when Janey and Bill did a dance, and then Nathan danced with Janey. It was very sweet.

I like Nathan, yes, he seems to have a lisp, but he also comes across as nice kid. Impulsive and not always safe with his risky stunts, but he seems like a nice kid. Lawson seems a bit full of himself, and Trayce is quieter so hard to see his personality, though he seems like a nice kid too.

I get the impression that Nathan and Trayce are naturally athletic. It is a shame they weren't able to be part of a school team, like their dad was. They probably would have really enjoyed that.

I like Tori and Carlin. Yes, they can be obnoxious at times, but they are spunky. And it is clear in how they talk to both their mom and dad, that they are allowed to disagree, and express their own opinions. Gothardism and fundie values aside, this shows a much more intimate and natural relationship between parent and child than we see from the Duggars. I can't imagine the Duggar girls talking to JB like the Bates girls talk to Gil.

I know the Kelly and Gil have the same craziness in them re: their religion, but they seem to have been more successful at raising their kids, at least as far as their family dynamics and their relationships within the family.

They also seem to allow their children a bit more freedom to choose their own path in life.

They are still grifters, they are still promoting the awful cult, they are still patriarchal and nuts, but I believe they are more naturally happy as a family unit, and are more comfortable with individualism from their children.

As others have pointed out, this does, in effect make them more dangerous because they have that veneer for normalcy about them compared to the veneer of freak show that JB and M had about them in the beginning.

And, Yes, do I think there are some dark secrets in the Bates family? Yes. I suspect that the first half of the kids suffered harsher discipline and brainwashing than the younger half. In season one, Tori even commented that she can't believe how much the littles get away with compared to when she was little. I think the association that Gil and Kelly have with Gothard is a real dark and shadowy thing.

Speaking of Carlin - anyone see that she's off to South America with Joy and the Dillards?

instagram.com/p/6db7f-rswS/

Speaking of Carlin - anyone see that she's off to South America with Joy and the Dillards?

Was just coming to post that. I didn't see that coming at all.

Even if it's not the best place/people Joy could be with, I'm glad she's getting away from this madness in some capacity. I still have hope for her breaking away. Maybe she can take Carlin with her lol.

Even if it's not the best place/people Joy could be with, I'm glad she's getting away from this madness in some capacity. I still have hope for her breaking away. Maybe she can take Carlin with her lol.

I think it's good that Joy (who I've always thought of as the real "lost girl" in the Duggar family - she doesn't really fit in with the other two sets of sisters, she's going through this awkward puberty stage on her own in the public eye, etc.) is such good friends with the much more outgoing and outspoke Carlin. I hope that their friendship will be beneficial for both girls, but especially to help give Joy more of a voice.

I have the impression that Carlin and Joy are very good friends, so i hope they enjoy the travel, althought i dont aprove on the "missionarie work" vacations the fundies take.

This makes me wonder if every couple of weeks, Jill and Derek will come home and grab another couple girls to come with them...then they will have constant childcare for Izzy while they "witness"... One has to wonder if this is the plan. And it's a win-win because these babysitters would really be on the "mission field" even if they are in some hot hut watching a baby that looks like JimBob.

Archived