IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

On 3/31/2016 at 5:05 AM, Finduilas said:

The Pinterest links to a fb . Is it the real fb?

I just checked......it links to a Facebook account that seems pretty legit and has been around for some time. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I think that's what he's studying at Crown with the intention of becoming a missionary/preacher.  Right now he's involved in Gil's Tree trimming/cutting business.

Well, judging by instagram Ashley LOVES to go on missions (aka travel around the world posing for photos with the children.) Maybe they'll both be missionaries? At least she speaks spanish 

Does anyone think that it's strange that neither  Nathan or Ashley's family or friends have mentioned the couple on social media like a congrats or cute pics of them? The only mentions have come from Bates fans and the recent pics that I have seen are from next weeks episode of BUB!

They may have been asked to hold off on any posts until after the episode, but I agree it does seem a little odd.

8 minutes ago, what the heck said:

Does anyone think that it's strange that neither  Nathan or Ashley's family or friends have mentioned the couple on social media like a congrats or cute pics of them? The only mentions have come from Bates fans and the recent pics that I have seen are from next weeks episode of BUB!

Weren't there some pics of the two of them together hanging out at the TTH around xmas (in groups)?  I vaguely remember Famy mentioning her on social media.  

I also haven't seen a pic of the two of them together from Kelly's IG, maybe they're holidng off until next week's episode.

Yes I did see some of them around Christmas. They were at the Duggar compound with other single Fundies! I don't get this tradition! Unless I'm engaged, married, or close to it, I'm spending Christmas with my family!!

35 minutes ago, what the heck said:

Yes I did see some of them around Christmas. They were at the Duggar compound with other single Fundies! I don't get this tradition! Unless I'm engaged, married, or close to it, I'm spending Christmas with my family!!

It's been discussed before - the Bates family does their winter family celebration on I Love You Day (Valentines Day) instead of Christmas. I've seen it said on here that they did so to allow their married and courting children to be able to celebrate with their in-laws or friends. On the show this season, Kelly says it's because they get so many gifts on Christmas from families and friends that having the family celebration later makes it easier.

I know they celebrate I love you day and that's great. I just meant that a lot of the Duggars friends including some of the Bates hang out over at their house during the Christmas holidays. Even If my family didn't celebrate Christmas during that time I don't think I would want to go to a friends house I would want to spend the day with family!  Christmas isn't about getting gifts for me. It's time that I want to spend with family! 

I'm just so used to being with family during that time, that being without them just seems foreign to me!

56 minutes ago, what the heck said:

I know they celebrate I love you day and that's great. I just meant that a lot of the Duggars friends including some of the Bates hang out over at their house during the Christmas holidays. Even If my family didn't celebrate Christmas during that time I don't think I would want to go to a friends house I would want to spend the day with family!  Christmas isn't about getting gifts for me. It's time that I want to spend with family! 

I'm just so used to being with family during that time, that being without them just seems foreign to me!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you aren't constantly around your entire immediate family the way the Bates offspring are - no breaks from them for really anything. If I were, I'd probably jump at the chance. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

It's been discussed before - the Bates family does their winter family celebration on I Love You Day (Valentines Day) instead of Christmas. I've seen it said on here that they did so to allow their married and courting children to be able to celebrate with their in-laws or friends. On the show this season, Kelly says it's because they get so many gifts on Christmas from families and friends that having the family celebration later makes it easier.

I thought they did that when they started marrying off their kids so the kids could spend Christmas with their in laws and there'd be no conflicts?

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

No I'm an only child, but when I say Christmas with family I meant my Aunt, Uncles and Cousins!

11 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I thought they did that when they started marrying off their kids so the kids could spend Christmas with their in laws and there'd be no conflicts?

I said that in my post. On the show though, Kelly specifically mentioned the gifts for some reason.

7 minutes ago, what the heck said:

No I'm an only child, but when I say Christmas with family I meant my Aunt, Uncles and Cousins!

The Bates family may get together with extended family at other times - such as Thanksgiving or over the summer. I'm guessing the parents are fine with some of the kids visiting friends at Christmas for that reason. Plus, it might be viewed as a type of compromise for the parents - the kids get to do something fun that they want to do and they don't have to worry much about them being tempted by the ebil wide world because they're with families with the same beliefs as them.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you aren't constantly around your entire immediate family the way the Bates offspring are - no breaks from them for really anything. If I were, I'd probably jump at the chance. :pb_lol:

Agreed--I think for those of us who weren't homeschooled, holidays feel different than they do for the ATI!

Also, for most of them--they have no experience with kids coming back from college (or the military) for Christmas.

I have a relatively big family and "just" family means about 20 people. I have about 30 cousins out of which most have a spouse and a couple children. I almost never hang out with extended family and I understand if the Bates don't go out of their way to do so given that their regular family is so big. In a couple of years when most of the adult children are married everyone getting together is going to mean that they will have to rent somewhere to meet. Say when ten kids are married just their spouses will add 10 more people to an already huge family and given their background they are not going to be satisfied with just 2 kids most of them. If we make a very conservative estimate that 10 married children will have 3 kids each their children and spouses will add 40 people to just their regular family. I have 4 brothers and sisters and they have 11 children in total, I have one and one on the way so we will be at least 13 just that generation. My nieces and nephews have already produced 3 kids and the older ones are just entering the "baby season" so there will be more. With the numbers adding up from just 5 children I get heart palpitations just thinking about future events for the Bates and Duggars. The numbers of grandkids are going to be astronomical.

On 4/1/2016 at 3:13 PM, JMO said:

Not that it's any surprise if they get engaged and married but "They will be great parents someday!" shows some serious endorsement of the way things are going,  Then again she will probably be pregnant before the year is up.  I'm assuming a late summer wedding if they aren't already engaged.  They have been courting just over 3 months. 

I'm betting the engagement is a done deal or very, very close to being done. 

22 minutes ago, maple802 said:

I'm betting the engagement is a done deal or very, very close to being done. 

Perhaps they could get engaged on her 21st birthday in May

On 3/31/2016 at 4:04 PM, formergothardite said:

Let instead focus on what is most likely the reality instead of gushing over the fake life they like to present. And most likely the reality is that this isn't anything that the Duggars wouldn't have done and was a heavily chaperoned trip. 

I believe in the episode it was implied that two of his brothers were with him, and I assume she also brought a sister or two (probably Anastasia).

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Does anyone know more about Ashley's family. Like does she have a lot of sibings. 

She comes from a family of 8. 4 biological children, 3 adopted. 

I can add photos of the salyer family but do not want to break any rules. Since its from public Instagram accounts can I post?

Just now, Exjw2015deed said:

I can add photos of the salyer family but do not want to break any rules. Since its from public Instagram accounts can I post?

If it's a public Instagram, then it's fine to post here.

15 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

If it's a public Instagram, then it's fine to post here.

Thank you for the clarification.

This is the salyer family. 4 oldest sisters are biological. I think the oldest sister is noemi (not sure of the spelling)  and she is 25, and is married with two children. She seems to be pretty conservative Christian. Ashley wrote a long post about her allowing her dad to choose her husband and being a great homemaker. 

Then its Ashley and her sister Anastasia. I don't remember the name of her younger sister, and I believe there is 3 adopted little ones.

I think her parents used to run a daycare. I don't have any other info, but could easily find it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wait so Ashley wrote about letting her father pick a husband for her? Is that how she met Nathan?

7 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Wait so Ashley wrote about letting her father pick a husband for her? Is that how she met Nathan?

No, sorry for the confusion, her older sister allowed her father to choose her husband. If you check Ashley's Instagram she makes a long rambling post about it. 

Just to add, she says that when her sister was little she used to ask her dad to pick her husband for her, and that it shows she really trusted him.

And I believe Ashley is 21 or 22. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived