IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So she was 13 at the time. Yikes, I hope people don't judge me by things I said and did and thought when I was 13! !  [and as others have said here--I'm thankful that my journal isn't online for the whole planet to see!]

If i had to guess i would say chances are her opinions are not much diferent nowadays, taking into account the photos with multiple Duggars and the religious speach in her instagram.

Obviously she is probably embarrased abot the car photo, since Gothard has fallen into disgrace. Not nice to asociate yourself with him now.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I think she has more actual classroom experiences with non-ATI peers/siblings than do most of the Bates and Duggars.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have attracted her away from her fun die lifestyle

4 hours ago, Diana said:

She went in 2009, there is a picture in her blog (http://feminineatheart.blogspot.com.es/2009/09/in-this-picture-we-had-just-arrived-to.html#comment-form). Her team leader was Priscilla (Anna Duggar sister).

does JTTH have an "exotic looking ethnic girl" camp or something? Seems like a weird coincidence that their camps are usually 100% caucasian girls with long, perfect, curly locks and this particular group (except Pris) are almost all non-caucasian. Judging ATI/IBLP/Gothard, I don't think it's a coincidence. 

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So she was 13 at the time. Yikes, I hope people don't judge me by things I said and did and thought when I was 13! !  [and as others have said here--I'm thankful that my journal isn't online for the whole planet to see!]

Yeah. 

It's too late for FJ, but given that she is now on TV, she needs to be ripping that blog off the internet quick smart.....unless she's forgotten the password/log in credentials and that's the reason she hasn't done it. 

6 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Yeah. 

It's too late for FJ, but given that she is now on TV, she needs to be ripping that blog off the internet quick smart.....unless she's forgotten the password/log in credentials and that's the reason she hasn't done it. 

I'm also surprised she hasn't made her IG private.  (I get the gag order about posting pics before the relationship is public).

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

does JTTH have an "exotic looking ethnic girl" camp or something? Seems like a weird coincidence that their camps are usually 100% caucasian girls with long, perfect, curly locks and this particular group (except Pris) are almost all non-caucasian. Judging ATI/IBLP/Gothard, I don't think it's a coincidence. 

I looked at the other photos from that trip on her blog and it is implied that the whole group of girls is from NYC. I assumed that it was all the young women from her church.

On March 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM, sunshine said:

I listened to Nathan described his date with Ashley. Apparently, they went on a road trip. I want a Duggar girl to go on a road trip with their "boyfriends."

As if any of the Duggar girls are ever dating again...they're practically shunned. 

53 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I looked at the other photos from that trip on her blog and it is implied that the whole group of girls is from NYC. I assumed that it was all the young women from her church.

That makes me feel a little better, I guess, that it wasn't a deliberate  separation between the girls who are "Gothard's type" and the others. 

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Could someone here with more knowledge talk about ATI popularity throughout the years?  I'm curious to see when they peaked and where they were around 2009 (IIRC the Duggars were in season 1-2 then).   This was 2009.

I'm sorry if I seem testy here but - that has already been done on so many other threads - including some threads where you have been a very active participant.  Rather than asking people to repeat themselves perhaps you could encourage people to read those other threads.

It is quite easy.  You may want to include a warning about potentially upsetting material sometimes.  For example:

Warning: Very difficult material in this thread but it does give a perspective of the evils of Gothardism over the years:  

7 hours ago, Diana said:

She went in 2009, there is a picture in her blog (http://feminineatheart.blogspot.com.es/2009/09/in-this-picture-we-had-just-arrived-to.html#comment-form). Her team leader was Priscilla (Anna Duggar sister).

love love LOVE this. i feel like i'm riding the fundie version of the "it's a small world" ride!

Guys there's so much sexual tension between these two lol. So many moments where you can tell they would love if they could just kiss.

Poor kids. Wish they could.

13 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

So now that the episode has aired, did she say yes?

She did.  Good thing, since the Bateses had already bought her a plane ticket to come back and spend Christmas with them and Anastasia had packed her bag.

On 4/4/2016 at 8:47 PM, Dandruff said:

IIRC, Nathan helps out with Gil's tree surgeon business, is trained as an EMT, was working toward getting a pilot's license, and is studying - or studied - at Crown to be a preacher.  Seems like he's got some skills and a solid work ethic.  

I'm sure the Rod's wouldn't want to miss this wedding (assuming they get an invite), especially if UP is filming.  Wonder how they'd deal with the crowds and general unfundiness of NYC...

The J-Rods are from New York state, so I am sure there is at least a passing familiarity with NYC.

6 hours ago, Casserole said:

Interesting thought. Yikes!

Is anyone else a little confused that they officially entered a "courtship" after they already consider themselves bf/gf AND say "i love you" AND--the most treacherous of all--they already go to fundie version of third base? Gil's whole sanctimonious TH of how courtship is superior, yet again, does not make sense with these two. If it ends, it will hurt, like any other break up, and heart pieces will be strewn about the Appalachian chain. 

But on that note, kudos for being the first of these a courtin' couples we've seen televised that didn't look awkward AF together. They might actually enjoy one another's company, in a healthy, adjusted, and age appropriate way. 

1 hour ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

Is anyone else a little confused that they officially entered a "courtship" after they already consider themselves bf/gf AND say "i love you" AND--the most treacherous of all--they already go to fundie version of third base? Gil's whole sanctimonious TH of how courtship is superior, yet again, does not make sense with these two. If it ends, it will hurt, like any other break up, and heart pieces will be strewn about the Appalachian chain. 

But on that note, kudos for being the first of these a courtin' couples we've seen televised that didn't look awkward AF together. They might actually enjoy one another's company, in a healthy, adjusted, and age appropriate way. 

Basically because this shit is just "hey, start a pinterest board, you have 6 months"

5 hours ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

I am wondering if this was mostly staged for the show and that the real agreement to enter into a courtship happened in private well before they let people know. Kelly has said in the past that after the disaster that was Zach's courtship proposal, the family was going to be more careful when being public with courtships. 

I just wouldn't be surprised if off screen there had already been an agreement to courtship and that is why they were calling each other bf/gf and hugging before they "officially" announced the courtship and why they didn't look as  awkward. 

Anyway, another young fundie couple getting married. Gil and Kelly do know how to marry their kids off. Gil's position in the cult probably helps with finding a good IBLP approved spouse. 

8 hours ago, PracticeMakesProgress said:

I guess it is just taking their relationship to a higher level.  Seemed like Ashley was already expecting a proposal and a ring, but Nathan had to do things in order.  Their relationship is certainly a lot more open and touchy/feely than a Duggar "get to know you" and even courtship/engagement is.  I was actually surprised at all the hugging (no side hugging either) and hand holding etc.   They still seem so young, sheltered and immature, but they seem a lot happier than the married Duggar's ever acted during their pre-wedding relationships.

I don't think the Bates would have allowed anything to be shown unless they were 100% sure that it was a done deal, which is why she was expecting a marriage proposal and a ring.  I think the whole courtship proposal was for the show and that they had been courting for a good long time before, which explains why they were all hugging and saying "i love you" before the TV show showed them officially in a courtship. 

I saw the clip on of Ashley at an ice skating rink. Yes, Ashley. It is weird that someone is packing for you while a minute later you found out that you are going to TN.

On 4/7/2016 at 6:48 AM, elliha said:

I agree. I have never gotten the slightest hunch that Kelly is afraid of Gil and he seems to treat her well despite them believing in wifely submission the same way the Duggars do. With Michelle on the other hand it feels like she constantly looks out for the right answer from JB and I sometimes do get the sense she is scared of him which is one of the reasons I don't like watching their show. As much as might have been taught of wifely submission I think the Bates kids have seen a relatively normal and healthy marriage while this is not what I think the Duggar kids have seen. They will use what they have seen to understand what they have been taught and I think that the Bates picture of submission is a totally different thing from Duggar submission. Kelly probably does not openly challenge Gil but I would be surprised if he does not get to at least hear her opinion once the bedroom door is closed. 

So I could be wrong and please correct me if I am because I'm relatively new to watching the Bates family, but I read online that Gil and Kelly met in college, correct? She was his TA in a chemistry class? And the kids often refer to their mother as 'brilliant' when she does her homeschooling at the dining room table.  I actually feel (and maybe its just for tv, again correct me if I'm wrong) that Gil is more respectful of his wife's intelligence and personality than JB is.  He looks to her to be fellow grown up in the house to Michelle's little girl nature. Carlin is certainly allowed to have a lot more personality than the Duggar girls (who of course we now know were victims of sexual abuse.) I'm sure Nathan will be the patriarch he was raised to be but like the others I just think the Bates kids seem happier in their marriages.  Erin denounced Goddard's group publicly and Alyssa is dying her hair and wearing pants. Am  I wrong?

9 minutes ago, sunshine said:

I saw the clip on of Ashley at an ice skating rink. Yes, Ashley. It is weird that someone is packing for you while a minute later you found out that you are going to TN.

I think that her sister was in on it the whole time.  

I wouldn't want someone else to pack for me. I'm not picky about clothes but I want to be able to make sure I have what I want (and enough clean undies LOL).

I can't believe that Nathan's cowboy outfit would cause any kind of reaction. We spent some time in NYC last year and people were wearing/doing all kinds of things much stranger than wearing a cowboy hat and I didn't see anyone responding. 

2 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Erin denounced Goddard's group publicly

I hate to point this out again, but Erin denounced Gothard only after there was  a huge falling out between Gothard and Gil. Gil isn't even liking Gothard these days, so Erin was hardly showing rebellion against her parent's thinking.  Gothard has a new ministry and that is most likely what she was talking about. 

What Erin did really isn't that huge of a deal and it isn't like she spoke up against the dangers of IBLP or the way she was raised. The Bates kids still seem to be fundie and none of them have shown any sign that they are leaving the teachings of IBLP

Ok. Im down the with Lawson is obnoxious camp. Good lord he was hamming it up for the cameras. His relationship "advice" to Nathan is odd considering his apparent distaste for dating and women. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived