IGNORED

Derick, Jill, and Izzie

Coconut Flan

no you don't :D

Michelle-Duggar-so-excited-for-daughters-Jill-and-Jessa.jpg

Aw this is my favorite Michelle!

Let your fundie flag fly, Mother of the Year!

:cracking-up:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow...they are really stepping up their attempts to be the Kardashians of the fundie world. Barf.

As for those "makeover" pictures: Michelle looks so much better without that obnoxious poufy thing she usually does. Joy Anna is adorable. Jill looks 35. Jessa looks the same. Jinger needs upper lip bleach or something (and I do too...I have the utmost sympathy. My upper lip got darker during my pregnancy with baby #3 and never got light again). And Jana...Jana is a queen. She is so pretty and dignified. She has gorgeous posture and she's really classically pretty. I hope that she is happy and not withering away in that house playing sister mom. :(

ETA: I am reading between the lines here, but I think it might be significant that Jinger's photo is much larger than Jana's. Subliminal messaging says This One's On the Market. And Cinderjana is not. :( ::sob:::

How do these homeschool courses like SOS handle lab sciences and upper level math like advanced algebra, geometry and trig? If the parent doesn't know how to do this stuff, how can the child learn it? Pretty hard to score well on ACT/SAT with low math skills.

Full lab kits can be purchased to go along with SOS. As for math, in a COMPETENT home, a parent who lacks upper level math skills has many rescources available to address this. They can partner with another homeschool parent (who IS competent in the needed subject), can place the student in online live courses, can work through the curriculum along with the child, pay a tutor, etc. I know it seems, to someone who is not homeschooling or does not know someone who is successfully homeschooling, that difficult material cannot be adequately tackled, but that simply is not accurate (speaking from my own 9 years of homeschooling experience "and counting", pun intended, lol.)

I can't speak for the Duggars in terms of their diligence to the upper levels, but strictly from an SOS vantage point, the curriculum is sufficient enough for moving on to college. I actually had 3 of mine enrolled in our state's public school online for a short time, and from my own experiences, SOS is superior to that.

Re: homeschooling and college

Short answer - uh. yeah. It's possible to get into college as a homeschooler. It's one of those questions that make homeschool students roll their eyes. Here's the truth: the homeschool families that are most likely to under educate their children and NOT prepare them for higher education, are also the most likely to have religious or other objections to the notion of college in general. I hate to say it, but their kids are screwed anyway.

My parents chose homeschooling for religious reasons, but they also planned on their kids going to college (we all did, to one degree or another based on our goals and life choices). When our needs and abilities in math and sciences surpassed the skills of my parents, we had a math tutor and then did co-enrollment in community college for things like lab sciences and higher math. I graduated high school with almost a full A.A.'s worth of college credit.

Now...I have my own opinions about the usefulness of accumulating large amounts of student loan debt in the name of College For It's Own Sake, but I think parents have a duty to ensure their kids are prepared to have choices in life, including what profession they pursue. The real problem with the ATI and it's anti-intellectual friends is that they do not believe the adult children of these families should be able to choose anything outside a limited range of options the parents deem to be "god's will."

(ftr - I am also homeschooling my kids. Not for religious reasons, but I am definitely sure that for now it is the best option for my oldest who would not thrive in the local public school system with her learning issues and personality)

Wow, in that picture of Jessa holding Izzy he is huge! Yeah, there is no way that baby was coming out of Jill vaginally. And his head doesn't look like it was ever in the birth canal.....

I have never seen a new baby look so much like someone in their family as much as baby Izzy looks like Jim Bob. However, I don't think Jim Bob's look are the problem with him and his good looks did land him the cheerleader Michelle.

I can sit here and rattle off a huge list of things I detest about J'Uterus, but I have to admit that she looks very good for her age. She looks more like she just turned 40 rather than pushing 50. I've always said that she is actually very pretty. The problem is she does that stupid crunchycurlpoofymullet thing with the weird bangs that does her no favours at all and makes her look terrible.

I can sit here and rattle off a huge list of things I detest about J'Uterus, but I have to admit that she looks very good for her age. She looks more like she just turned 40 rather than pushing 50. I've always said that she is actually very pretty. The problem is she does that stupid crunchycurlpoofymullet thing with the weird bangs that does her no favours at all and makes her look terrible.

The crazy eyes and excessive fake tan aren't doing any favors either.

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
I DID! And then he DIED. COINCIDENCE? I think NOT!! :penguin-no:

Ofglen - to your last comment under the spoiler :lol: :worship: :worship: :worship:

The crazy eyes and excessive fake tan aren't doing any favors either.

Fundie combination of trying to be babyish and emphatic for Fascinating Womanhood points mixed with mainstream ideals of bronzed is beautiful = :shock:

But mostly it's the childish affect. I wonder what she's like on a normal day. Just be that, Michelle. If you still can.

I just assumed that hospital protocol wouldn't permit it. Maybe things have changed since I was a kid. Anyone else who is middle-aged remember not being allowed in certain areas of hospitals (including maternity) if you were under a certain age?

If she's in a recovery room, she can have visitors :) The recovery area may have been in a different ward than labor & delivery. I was in a room similar to that for three+ days after my "induced but time's up" c-section (another dumb long story), and the bed was like that. It was heavenly. Some kind of air mattress thing. My aunts and my grandma came to visit, and my sisters brought their littles too. The food was divine, they even had cheesecake on a paper doily once. It was fun. And dang it i'd worked full time all the way up to 8 months preg. for that insurance so i didn't feel bad about resting. :lol:

I wonder if Jill had clothes big enough for Izzy. (if she packed for the hospital, it seems like she said that somewhere they had an emergency bag)

Derick might have had to go raid the 6m section of Walmart. :lol:

I mean, her daughters are absolutely gorgeous, and that had to come from somewhere. I don't think JB is the most attractive guy, but Michelle is quite the looker; she just needs a better hairdo and to lay off the fake tan.

Izzy is kind of weird looking..is that mean? I know newborn babies aren't the cutest (My poor one's nose was pushed in for a few hours after delivery. lol) I don't know, had to throw that out there. It's a snark board of course.

But as for the cutting bras out of tank tops. That's kind of stupid, why not just buy the cami's that have the bra like straps that you can adjust to take the chest up higher if you want?

Izzy is kind of weird looking..is that mean? I know newborn babies aren't the cutest (My poor one's nose was pushed in for a few hours after delivery. lol) I don't know, had to throw that out there. It's a snark board of course.

But as for the cutting bras out of tank tops. That's kind of stupid, why not just buy the cami's that have the bra like straps that you can adjust to take the chest up higher if you want?

As a women who is rather well endowed, I can say shelf bras in tanks and camisoles are awful. They are never large enough to cover everything. If I wear the shirt with the bra band where it should be below my breasts, then the neck line cuts across the middle of my breasts. If I pull the neck line up to where it should be (still with more cleavage than the Duggars would allow), then the bra band cuts across the middle of my breasts. Of course, my solution is to just buy tanks and camisoles that don't have shelf bras, but that can be a challenge. There are some stores that only have tanks with shelf bras, and the availability of tanks without shelf bras at other stores varies from year to year. If you are limited to shopping a thrift and discount/big box stores, then it may be impossible to find a tank top without a shelf bra. Way back when I was Joy's age, I did buy tanks with shelf bras and cut the bra out.

Same here. I've been 'blessed' with E cup bras and shelf bras are uncomfortable for me because they sit on the middle of my breasts. But sometimes if I just like the design of a tank with a shelf bra, I'll buy it and have my aunt take it out (she's an excellent seamstress and doesn't mind doing it).

Izzy is kind of weird looking..is that mean? I know newborn babies aren't the cutest (My poor one's nose was pushed in for a few hours after delivery. lol) I don't know, had to throw that out there. It's a snark board of course.?

I thought the same thing, but I always think babies are ugly till about two months so I thought it was just me.

I agree. I really hate to say that. I am the type of person that thinks all babies are adorable and precious but Izzy is just, hmmm. I am going to blame his parents sharing really bad photos of him, because that has to be the reason. However, I cannot help but think he looks like the freaky nightmare baby from the episode of Rugrats where Angelica thinks she is going to have a brother.

latest?cb=20111215225323

angelicas-worst-nightmare-rugrats-big-baby.jpg

I feel really bad for thinking it

I agree. I really hate to say that. I am the type of person that thinks all babies are adorable and precious but Izzy is just, hmmm. I am going to blame his parents sharing really bad photos of him, because that has to be the reason. However, I cannot help but think he looks like the freaky nightmare baby from the episode of Rugrats where Angelica thinks she is going to have a brother.

latest?cb=20111215225323

I feel really bad for thinking it

:laughing-rolling:

I think they're getting too close with the camera. It almost looks like they're using a fisheye lens. :?

Re: homeschooling and college

Short answer - uh. yeah. It's possible to get into college as a homeschooler. It's one of those questions that make homeschool students roll their eyes. Here's the truth: the homeschool families that are most likely to under educate their children and NOT prepare them for higher education, are also the most likely to have religious or other objections to the notion of college in general. I hate to say it, but their kids are screwed anyway.

My parents chose homeschooling for religious reasons, but they also planned on their kids going to college (we all did, to one degree or another based on our goals and life choices). When our needs and abilities in math and sciences surpassed the skills of my parents, we had a math tutor and then did co-enrollment in community college for things like lab sciences and higher math. I graduated high school with almost a full A.A.'s worth of college credit.

Now...I have my own opinions about the usefulness of accumulating large amounts of student loan debt in the name of College For It's Own Sake, but I think parents have a duty to ensure their kids are prepared to have choices in life, including what profession they pursue. The real problem with the ATI and it's anti-intellectual friends is that they do not believe the adult children of these families should be able to choose anything outside a limited range of options the parents deem to be "god's will."

(ftr - I am also homeschooling my kids. Not for religious reasons, but I am definitely sure that for now it is the best option for my oldest who would not thrive in the local public school system with her learning issues and personality)

Good for you for being so invested in your children's education! Me and my siblings were home schooled ever since I was in 5th grade because we were all under challenged in our rural public school. And all of my siblings have gotten into good accredited colleges and are working on legitimate degrees ( mechanical engineering, Nursing, International studies). Depending on your state, homeschoolers have just as much chance of getting into college as public school student. Instead of looking at your GPA they look at SAT and ACT scores as a way of gaging your level. Also most states require yearly tests to make sure kids are falling too behind. I think i remember hearing in the original 14 kids and pregnant again special that the Duggars did standardized tests to make sure the kids were on track. But that was quite a while ago and I don't know what the regulations in arkansas are.

I can go way into detail about how Homeschooling can be way more beneficial to a child than public school in many cases, but I won't bore you.

Just my 2 cents there :)

Good for you for being so invested in your children's education! Me and my siblings were home schooled ever since I was in 5th grade because we were all under challenged in our rural public school. And all of my siblings have gotten into good accredited colleges and are working on legitimate degrees ( mechanical engineering, Nursing, International studies). Depending on your state, homeschoolers have just as much chance of getting into college as public school student. Instead of looking at your GPA they look at SAT and ACT scores as a way of gaging your level. Also most states require yearly tests to make sure kids are falling too behind. I think i remember hearing in the original 14 kids and pregnant again special that the Duggars did standardized tests to make sure the kids were on track. But that was quite a while ago and I don't know what the regulations in arkansas are.

I can go way into detail about how Homeschooling can be way more beneficial to a child than public school in many cases, but I won't bore you.

Just my 2 cents there :)

{L_OFFTOPIC} :
My state doesn't require standardized testing for homeschool students...which at this point I am thankful for because my oldest would NOT do well (which is kind of the whole point of choosing homeschooling in her case). I keep track of the standards for each grade and try to ensure that we are mostly on track, covering the material in ways that are meaningful and understandable for her individual needs.

I remember taking standardized tests around 4th grade and I came back with way above grade level reading/writing skills and only very slightly above grade math (big surprise, my parents bought into the whole "girls aren't good at math" tripe and while I realized in college I actually really enjoyed math, it definitely impacted my performance in elementary and jr high). I also did the high school exit exam at 16 (not GED) and the PSAT and SAT. My scores weren't crazy high (I knew a guy who got 1600 back when that was the highest score you could get), but they were definitely better than most of my friends who went to public school.

So yeah...I agree with you, depending on the child and the family, homeschooling can be a much better option than public school. :-)

Archived