IGNORED

Romantic History's Sarah Jane Leaves Husband Part 2

Coconut Flan

I dunno, but I will take this opportunity to say that I got my fingernails shallacked for the first time and I absolutely LOVE IT. I can be as hard as I want to on them and they haven't chipped or flaked yet. I may be converted to a nail polish wearing woman after all.

I love shellac but it really wrecks my nails what with all the soaking in pure acetone and scraping and so on. So I'm letting my nails heal a bit right now.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did my first manicure on Good Friday, and got shellack, so worth it, but it is a bit rough on the nails...I work daycare, clean lots of toys,mand they didn't chip at all until at least a week later. The two nails I had designs on, the polish all came off on one go, in tact, and I kept them. I figure I can match my color, and nail glue them on some day. LOL!

Huh. They didn't do any scraping with mine, is that when they take it off? I know with gels they rough up the nail bed with an emory board, but they didn't do that with the shellac, just the polish and the lights.

Huh. They didn't do any scraping with mine, is that when they take it off? I know with gels they rough up the nail bed with an emory board, but they didn't do that with the shellac, just the polish and the lights.

Yes, to scrape off residual polish. My nails have split all the way down due to this pressure. Nightmare! Plus, I always believed we shouldn't cut our cuticles, yet everyone does! I end up with hang nails everywhere a few days after mani.

I can only do regular polish. I discovered the hard way that there's a reason my nails break all the time and any process that stops their breakage flat out hurts.

But I polished them for the first time in three weeks today and they are a very pretty dark purple now.

I've done gels for YEARS! They last forever. To get the gel off, they rough up the topcoat and then use acetone to dissolve the rest. I chipped one not long ago but it had something to do with scissors. The gel will survive gardening, working on cars, baking bread, you name it...they're almost indestructible.

Right now I'm sporting red with glitter but I'm due for a change...going to wait until I know about the job situation.

My lovely daughter did my nails for me, turned out alright! Neon pink on the toes, which looks so cute if I do say so myself, and salmon pink on the fingers. Don't match at all but I love it!

I'm terrified now of what's going to happen to my nails when I get this stuff off. :? But they were not in good shape to begin with, so I'm not losing out on much.

In the meantime, I've been loving them though. I went bright red, because why the heck not? It's very fun and super flirty.

I'm more a pedi girl. My sister and I went on Good Friday for manis and pedis, it was my third pedicure ever. We splurged on the pedicures, and it was SO worth it! I could barely put pressure on my left heel for weeks, and afterward, the pain was gone and weeks later, I'm still pain free.

Edited for Viola - Don't worry, mine wore itself off, and when I picked, it just made my nails rough. I'm WAY too cheap to be a regular at the nail salon, so I just left them until the gel was lifting off my nail bed. :3

Has anyone had issues with the gel nails? I got a home kit for my birthday. They looked fine for about a day then the polish started peeling off my nails, taking a layer of the nail with it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I have ridges in my nails, drives me nuts. I don't like dark polish because my hands look old. It's odd. I stick with lighter colors.

Did you have a gel base coat? I love the look of gel but it made my nails so thin and damaged. Once you start, it's very hard to stop as actual nails look pretty bad.

I also have ridges! Partly why they scrape and buff them into oblivion.

Did you have a gel base coat? I love the look of gel but it made my nails so thin and damaged. Once you start, it's very hard to stop as actual nails look pretty bad.

Good to know, I've been considering getting mine done. Sounds like it won't be worth it.

I have ridges in my nails, drives me nuts. I don't like dark polish because my hands look old. It's odd. I stick with lighter colors.

Same. The glitter top coat helps with that, too. I can never buff mine out well.

NO!

This is the most interesting thing to happen to me since Cabinetman.

There is something about this comment that makes me love you.

I'm taking a mechanics class that requires lots of physical labor right now, so I can't have pretty polished nails. The class ends in a couple of weeks, though, so I look forward to getting my first manicure in a long time in May.

I once had my nails shellacked - it wasn't cured properly, so the paint and treatment popped off in whole sheets. I was definitely less than thrilled.

I have been either blessed or cursed with some serious nails. I give my nails a break from gel every few months and go with the natural look. With or without gel, my nails are lethal weapons. My kitties love them because I can get right down to their skin through their thick coats...maybe it was the years of biting my nails when I was a kid. My nails got ridiculous when I was pregnant with my first kid. Now, biting my nails isn't an option, I'd break my teeth!

NO!

This is the most interesting thing to happen to me since Cabinetman.

Tru dat.

As an aside, I miss snarking on Boobert but watching this dog-and-pony show is rather entertaining (the trolling, I mean. SJ's whole mess is just incredibly sad.)

I have been either blessed or cursed with some serious nails. I give my nails a break from gel every few months and go with the natural look. With or without gel, my nails are lethal weapons. My kitties love them because I can get right down to their skin through their thick coats...maybe it was the years of biting my nails when I was a kid. My nails got ridiculous when I was pregnant with my first kid. Now, biting my nails isn't an option, I'd break my teeth!

I have some wickedly strong nails too. Maybe it is because of the supplements I take, but nothing destroys my nails. I had acrylic over my natural nail for years and moved to gel over the last several years. I periodically give my nails a rest, and I have never had any damage to my nails ever. I love polish, so during the rest periods, I have been using Dior gel and Formula X polish system. I can get about 10 + days of wear with either systems and can take the both polishes off with my regular Zoya nail polish remover.

See, I can't stand gels or acrylics, I end up with my fingertips aching. I'm actually going to try out nail wraps for a bit of pretty, see if I like them better.

My nails are starting to get to that length that starts bugging me...My husband laughs when I take the big toenail clippers to my fingernails. Seeing as how I am broke right now, I'm going to take the topcoat off the gel and then work on getting the rest of it off and give the fingers a rest. Watch it...no sooner I do this I'll get a call for a job interview and have to go to the spa for the full treatment. Brows, lip, chin wax, mani/pedi.

Here's hoping that job interview thing happens sooner rather than later...I NEED a damn job.

I've done just gel top-coat and it worked (I have a lamp), just FYI. It's a lot less awful to remove. I don't think it lasts as long as salon, but better than even my fussiest DIY job.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived