IGNORED

Pennington Point daughter escapes/ Has no ID's Part 2

Mama Mia

Hi Faith! So many of us understand what you are going through. I can't even imagine how hard it would be when you don't even have an identity.

You are so brave and strong. So many are so proud of you! You go girl!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faith, welcome to FJ from Maryland.

You've had some good advice from here. The one thing I'd like to reiterate is to please be careful about the people from whom you take counsel. Ditto the people who want to use your story to make money for themselves.

My hope for you is that you find good counsel and good support, that you find a good, healthy place to live, a good job, and are able to educate yourself in the way you need or want. After that, I wish for you a love worthy of you, and perhaps even a reconciliation with your parents, and access to your siblings in a meaningful manner. All this with the proper identification and records.. Hugs.

Welcome, Faith! Wishing you a happy and exciting trip to independence!

Nice update in the Washington Post a couple of days ago:

washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/03/12/how-a-teenagers-viral-campaign-to-prove-her-citizenship-is-inspiring-a-new-texas-bill/

Still rooting for you, Faith! :)

ETA: Spiritual Sounding Board also links to the WP article. Many good comments in both places.

Nice update in the Washington Post a couple of days ago:

washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/03/12/how-a-teenagers-viral-campaign-to-prove-her-citizenship-is-inspiring-a-new-texas-bill/

Still rooting for you, Faith! :)

thanks for posting the link to this excellent article. To me, this was the crux part:

In an e-mail to the Daily Beast, James Pennington reiterated that “to the best of our knowledge, the midwife applied for a birth certificate.†But, he added, he and his wife have “religious objection to obtaining Social Security numbers for our children.†James has publicly offered to help sign any paperwork Alecia needs to obtain documentation of her citizenship, something Alecia later confirmed on Facebook.

so here's the deal. All the eleventy kids are still at home (sans Faith), three of whom are older than Faith, is that correct? Or is it four? No SSN? You have a religious objection to getting an SSN? Where in the bible is that discussed? No SSN? Well then, no possibility of going out to work in the world, no way to support yourself, no way to accrue capital to establish a separate family out in the world. The perfect way to keep your children home bound, dependent and infantilized. Lisa and James are further down the rabbit hole than I first realized and that is saying something. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of Faith's mental/emotional journey in deciding to move away from her family and it would be fascinating to know what experiences led her to think differently.

I'm sure this is all working itself out behind the scenes, but James is a LAWYER. He's perfectly capable of researching and getting the paperwork/affidavit required to prove Faith's citizenship, instead of claiming that they haven't received anything to sign. [Just noting that this was about a month ago, but using it as an example of how they might be saying they are ready to help but really aren't putting themselves out to do it.] Also, shouldn't it be the MOTHER who confirms she is a citizen and actually, you know, gave birth to the child?

Really thrilled that Rep Farney is moving forward with this bill. Also perfect timing in that the Texas lege (which meets alternate years) is in session and the deadline to submit bills for consideration in this session was Friday at 6 pm. It is also critically important to those who were born here but whose parents do not have US citizenship. I can't imagine being born in the US, having no way to prove it AND perhaps being departed to Mexico, and have no Mexican citizenship status.

Anyway, wonder if there will be a legal hearing involved over this? Hell yes, I'd go!

Also, Sorry to go caps on y'all's collective a**es, but DARN, this is a crazy situation.

Oh, and I'd also love to get the midwife's take on the situation; however, if they knew she didn't file a birth certificate or she was illegally acting as a midwife, they might be covering up for her.

I may have posted this before, but these are the CURRENT laws on filing for a birth certificate in Texas:

Does every child born in Texas have to have a birth record?

Yes. According to the Health and Safety Code, the birth of each child born in this state shall be registered. [HSC §192.001]

How long does the person required the file the birth record have to file the birth certificate?

The person required to file a birth certificate shall file the certificate not later than the fifth day after the date of the birth. [HSC §192.003(d)]

Who is responsible for filing the birth certificate?

The physician, midwife, or person acting as a midwife in attendance at a birth shall file the birth certificate with the local registrar of the registration district in which the birth occurs. If a birth occurs in a hospital or birthing center, the hospital administrator, the birthing center administrator, or a designee of the appropriate administrator may file the birth certificate in lieu of the physician, midwife, or person acting as a midwife in attendance of the birth.

from the Texas State Department of Health Services

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/faq/birth.shtm#1

If there is no physician, midwife, or person acting as a midwife in attendance at a birth and if the birth does not occur in a hospital or birthing center, the following in the order listed shall report the birth to the local registrar:

The father or mother of the child; or

The owner or householder of the premises where the birth occurs.

[HSC §193.003]

I've been curious all along about the midwife's role in this. She was required by law to file the info for a birth certificate, but she just didn't do it. Disobeying the law is a great way to lose her license. Or is she an unlicensed midwife? Maybe she shares the same philosophies as the Pennington parents?

Thank you Marian the Librarian for finding the WP article. Some of the comments were great. I especially liked lostinmiddle's response to an unhelpful commenter - "Have you ever asked yourself, 'am I a sociopath'?"

I'm confident that Faith will be successful in getting her documentation. My guess is that many universities will be eager to give her scholarships to continue her education. She would be a credit to any school she chooses. :D

I've been curious all along about the midwife's role in this. She was required by law to file the info for a birth certificate, but she just didn't do it. Disobeying the law is a great way to lose her license. Or is she an unlicensed midwife? Maybe she shares the same philosophies as the Pennington parents?

Thank you Marian the Librarian for finding the WP article. Some of the comments were great. I especially liked lostinmiddle's response to an unhelpful commenter - "Have you ever asked yourself, 'am I a sociopath'?"

I'm confident that Faith will be successful in getting her documentation. My guess is that many universities will be eager to give her scholarships to continue her education. She would be a credit to any school she chooses. :D

I have high hopes of a full ride to a university being donated at some point. I'm glad that things seam to be going somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Alecia Faith will be on the local Austin news tonight at 10 pm! Saw a little teaser footage a few minutes ago while looking at the weather.

Here's the text from the Fox 7 Web page, which is mostly a recap of what we already know. Representatives Farney and Senfronia Thompson are trying to move a bill forward in the Texas legislature that will hold responsible and penalize those who don't register a birth.

Birth certificate

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 6:45 PM CST

Updated: Apr 21, 2015 8:46 PM CST

By Elizabeth Saab

How do you go through life without a birth certificate? One Texan is finding out.

Not filing for one after a birth is illegal, but there's no penalty. “I was born at home and was home schooled. I've never been to a hospital,†says Faith Pennington. Pennington might be real but without a birth certificate she can't prove it. “I have no records of my existence,†she said.

When she decided to venture out on her own, she couldn't do the things that would seem normal to us. â€It's been a huge impact on me. It's handicapped me from getting anywhere as an adult. Six of Faith's other siblings don't have birth certificates.

In early February the 19-year-old posted a YouTube video, it's had almost one and a half million views.

Pennington, who was born in Harris County [Houston area], tried getting a delayed birth certificate but couldn't because she was missing critical information. “It has taken hours and hours. Thousands of hours of work trying to get documentation that's just not in existence,†says her grandmother, Lee Southworth.

“One of the problems is that even some people who have gotten this delayed birth certificate can't get a social security number or passport because the government won't accept the proof behind the order from the court,†explained Bill Morris, Pennington's attorney.

Her video campaign has drawn international attention. Legislators in Texas are taking notice too. Pennington and her grandmother took their fight to the State Capitol.

A plan proposed by Georgetown Representative Marsha Farney and Houston Representative Senfronia Thompson aims to not only make it easier for people like Faith to prove they exist but also hold the ones who don't file accountable.

The bill was left in the committee as there are a couple of changes that will be made to it.

As far as Faith Pennington's legal fight goes, they still have several hurdles to cross in the courts before she can get her birth certificate.

The essential oils are flowing at the Pennington house today. I thought the newscast was good. It's obvious the grandparents are totally in Faith's camp. And it should be obvious to her parents that Faith hasn't become some wild child now that she has left the safety of their prison, I mean home. :o

Such a pretty dress! And James Pennington reminds me of my own mom when she's trying to do damage control. What a jerk (sorry Faith!)

• 3 weeks later...

Lisa is not looking forward to Mother's Day, since her daughter "ran away" (or was she an adult who moved out) and has pushed her away "as if she doesn't matter"

Since I shared last fall about my teenage daughter running away, I have gotten hundreds (maybe thousands) of emails and messages from other moms suffering the same pain.

Lost children, broken relationships, rejection and/or hate can all make this a hard weekend for many of us.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow and would kind of rather just take a long nap and wake up after it's over. But it doesn't work like that, huh?

So I will get up, find joy in Christ's love for me and peace in His grace and mercy. Oh, how thankful I am that there is a place I can go where I will never be pushed away as if I don't matter!

Moms, whatever what you're dealing with this Mother's Day, there is a love that washes all of that pain away. Look to Christ for your joy and He will comfort you as you go through the day tomorrow.

If you need prayer, please leave a comment below and I would love to pray for you!

I would have sent you all a card that says that, but the Hallmark store didn't have anything that really fit.

facebook.com/thepenningtonpoint?fref=ts

Lisa is not looking forward to Mother's Day, since her daughter "ran away" (or was she an adult who moved out) and has pushed her away "as if she doesn't matter"

facebook.com/thepenningtonpoint?fref=ts

I posted twice that her daughter wasn't missing,that she knows where she is, namely with her parents, and that she is an adult who is free to live where she chooses. Lisa didn't like the truth so now I cannot post anymore.

• 3 months later...

Wow, this story is crazy!

I could see my mom trying to do something like this. Luckily for me, she never thought of it. :?

Did you guys see this little blurb on her "Hardest Post I Ever Wrote" post?

Thank you for reading and praying. I would appreciate your sensitivity if you choose to leave a comment since we are grieving. Please refrain from offering your thoughts on 18 year olds and their rights or what you think of our parenting choices. Believe me, we do not want to keep anyone in our home that doesn't want to be here. This is not about whether she should be here or not. It's about treating the people you love with honesty, honor, respect, and dignity. Any comments condemning our beliefs or criticizing our daughter will be deleted.

Horrible person. I wonder how far back her online presence goes? It sounds like Alecia doesn't need it now, but I'm really curious if someone could use old blog posts going back to childhood to help establish identity? I wonder if anyone has tried something like that?

thepenningtonpoint.com/2012/04/intentionally-parenting-your-toddler-part-2/

IKR? "Pinched the fat on his leg" ??? Wow. Just....wow.

Wow, this story is crazy!

I could see my mom trying to do something like this. Luckily for me, she never thought of it. :?

Did you guys see this little blurb on her "Hardest Post I Ever Wrote" post?

Bloody hell.

The last line also caught my eye - who's criticised the daughter? Most people are very supportive of Faith's decision, which is why the mother wants the comments censored.

perhaps some leghumpers of hers started slinging mud and she didn't want that to reflect badly on her. just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read through both of these threads in entirety after someone who posted on a Facebook page of mine had linked to Faith's story. It clicked that I'd seen her name around FJ, so I went down the rabbit hole. Holy moses, there's a lot there. A few of the linked posts have been scrubbed, but I still got a pretty good idea of Lisa just from hopping around. And yes, I absolutely found the unabomber post weird as well.

She recently posted an image of the "Joy" essential oil with the quote "I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart!" transposed on it. It struck me that to most conservatives in my circles, it would be considered almost somewhat heretical to consider those oils as providing things like joy or serenity...spiritual aspects that should be coming from God and through faith. It's interesting to me that so many of our fundies don't see it that way but are so legalistic about other things.

Archived