IGNORED

Gay marriage for Alabama

RosyDaisy

I was just about to post that. So fuck you Mr. Strange, Judge Moore, and Gov. Bentley.

My fiancée and I are looking for an engagement announcement from his sister and her partner very soon.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RosyDaisy- are they issuing licenses in your county? Here in Jefferson it's a go! :romance-heartsfade::romance-heartsfade::romance-heartsfade:

I have a facebook friend from Riverside who was one of the first couples to get married in Jefferson. He has been with his partner for 7 years. I am so happy for them.

My conservative friend from Alabama is angry about this. She said the government is brainwashing our children to accept sin. It makes me so happy that people are pissed :lol: :cracking-up:

My husband and I have been watching this over the last two-ish days. State news sources are saying that only nine counties are issuing same-sex licenses currently. Gov. Bentley graciously announced that he will not seek action against those counties which do issue same sex licenses.

My county, sadly, is amongst the very long list of counties simply issuing NO marriage licenses whatsoever. At least such counties are not discriminating per se, even if they are 100% wrong in what they are doing.

My husband posted on FB that he's pretty sure Gov. Wallace tried this exact same argument that states rights trump federal laws in 1963.

My father, who remembers 1963 though he hadn't made it to this state yet, answered that he did, and the federal government wins every single time.

How can ANYONE not see how fundamentally this is a civil rights issue when this state hauls put the identical words and actions against the ebil gays today that they used on the blacks in 1963?

Honestly, the only good I see in this is that perhaps AL will demonstrate the fundamental problem once and for all and SCOTUS will now fix this problem across the entire nation so we can move on.

What can happen if clerks refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples in this instance? Can the Feds put people in jail? Just wondering.

RosyDaisy- are they issuing licenses in your county? Here in Jefferson it's a go! :romance-heartsfade::romance-heartsfade::romance-heartsfade:

Nope. They are abiding by Judge Roy Moore's order that it is against Alabama law. Screw that fundie, incompetent, asshole of a judge!

On a bright note, my future SIL and her partner announced their engagement.

Oh, and my ministers have made it known they will marry gay couples and use our church for ceremonies.

Yes, Judge Moore has flat out stated that no same sex marriage licenses are authorized to be issued until the confusion on whether the state courts can be ordered to comply with Federal rulings which violate state laws. It is ALL about states' rights versus federal rights in his entire claim.

Wallace made the National Guard forcibly carry out federal orders. I'm not sure what action Obama intends to take of Judge Moore continues to disregard a federal court order. I don't know whether judges can be removed, or the federal government would have to step in some other way. It's stupid. No President and Federal court system is going to let a state thumb their nose and declare they are not obligated to abide by the U.S. Constitution and laws of the nation, but that is precisely what Judge Moore is currently doing and trying to pressure every other judge in the state to do.

Personally, I say charge him with treason. But I don't see his 1963 argument holding much water long term.

Well, Judge Moore is obviously an idiot because federal law usually, always trumps STATE law! Federal law is the highest in the land and, unless he tries to secede (which wouldn't surprise me) I'm pretty sure he will, eventually, be forced to comply and issue marriage licenses to ALL humans in the state no matter who they wish to marry!

Cheers and congrats from another red state that just passed marriage equality not long ago! :)

My county started issuing marriage licenses today. But, I don't think this battle is over. Judge Roy Moore won't let this go. Fuck him!

Nope. They are abiding by Judge Roy Moore's order that it is against Alabama law. Screw that fundie, incompetent, asshole of a judge!

On a bright note, my future SIL and her partner announced their engagement.

Oh, and my ministers have made it known they will marry gay couples and use our church for ceremonies.

Congratulations to your future SIL! I wish her and her partner much happiness together.

Why does Alabama make it so difficult for themselves. It's always the damn south. Gay marriage is a right. A right that you can't and shouldn't take away. That judge can shove it. Jesus isn't happy that people have so much hate in their hearts.

People should be free to get married for whatever reason tickles them. In love? Get married! In Vegas? Get married too, fuck it!

I don't get what harm other people's marriage, whether they're gay, straight, white, non-white, causes. I'm morally opposed to a lot of things. Doesn't mean I'm going to go campaign for those things to be removed. (Decaf coffee is an abomination!)

I just can't with people sometimes.

(Decaf coffee is an abomination!)

i can't agree with this statement more. in fact, i'm disappointed i can only like the post once. that is so insufficient for decaffeinated coffee!

I just found this little gem:

http://www.waff.com/story/28014981/splc-enters-new-ethics-complaint-against-al-chief-justice

The SPLC has entered an ethics complaint against Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore

The SPLC's original complaint describes how Moore has committed numerous ethics violations, noting that he is encouraging lawlessness by attempting to assemble state officials and judges to oppose the federal court system.

The Judicial Inquiry Commission of Alabama could recommend that Moore face ethics charges in the Alabama Court of the Judiciary. 

That court removed Moore from the office of chief justice 12 years ago after he refused to comply with a federal court order to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the state judicial building.

I hope his ass gets handed to him. Moore is a self-righteous, fundie asshole of the highest order and needs to be removed from office. He seems to think federal law doesn't apply to Alabama.

I just found this little gem:

http://www.waff.com/story/28014981/splc-enters-new-ethics-complaint-against-al-chief-justice

The SPLC has entered an ethics complaint against Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore

I hope his ass gets handed to him. Moore is a self-righteous, fundie asshole of the highest order and needs to be removed from office. He seems to think federal law doesn't apply to Alabama.

YES! go get em, fellas!

Oh, and here is President Obama's thoughts:

President Barack Obama, in an interview with BuzzFeed News, was asked about Moore's resistance and the comparisons some have made to Alabama Gov. George Wallace's efforts to fight integration 50 years ago.

"I won't say it's a perfect analogy, but there's a core principle here that's at stake, which is we have a supremacy clause in our Constitution," Obama said.

"My recollection is that Judge Moore had a similar problem with a federal court ruling that you couldn't put a huge ... Ten Commandments statue in the middle of your courthouse and, ultimately, federal law was obeyed and I think that the same thing will end up happening here," Obama said.

http://www.myfoxal.com/myfoxal/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:To9jKdqO

Judge Moore's comments can be found here:

http://m.waff.com/waff/db/330702/content/B4qaIZ1T

Too much to quote, but to summarize Judge Moore proves just how big of a fundie asshole he is.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/does_gay_marriage_ruling_threa.html

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?????? Justice Glenn Murdock is threatening to ban all marriage in Alabama!

Buried amid the extensive legal wrangling over same-sex marriage this week came an interesting side question raised by an Alabama Supreme Court justice: Does last month's federal ruling threaten the constitutionality of all marriages?

Justice Glenn Murdock raised the possibility in a concurring opinion when the full court declined to issue a "clarification" of Chief Justice Roy Moore's order instructing probate judges to ignore U.S. District Judge Callie V.S. "Ginny" Granade's ruling striking down the state's same-sex marriage ban.

That don't make no damn sense (excuse my redneck grammar), assholes! So, Alabama is going to keep fighting this tooth and nail. I look for them to defy the Supreme Court ruling when it's handed down in June. This isn't over...not by a long shot.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/a ... 15375.html

Gov. Bentley is saying he will obey the federal order (SHOCKER), but Chief Justice Roy Moore is still saying the federal order violates the Alabama Constitution.

I want the Supreme Court to rule in favor of gay marriage. I hope this ends Judge Moore and Judge Murdoch's careers, and they get their asses handed to them.

I want the Supreme Court to rule in favor of gay marriage.

Texas is going through the same thing. Lawsuits and counter suits. Ditto on the Supreme Court ruling in favor of gay marriage.

Some people love and want to spend the rest of their lives with another person with the same plumbing. It is just that simple.

Archived