IGNORED

Gay marriage for Alabama

RosyDaisy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is wonderful!!!

Well done Alabama - may many more states and countries such as my own follow your example.

Woo hoo! How wonderful for the couples who've been hoping for this day. And, because it's never just about judges, kudos to all the Alabama residents who worked toward making marriage equality happen in their home state. I fling biodegradable confetti in your general direction!

I swear the south is slow. They're always the last ones to pass things like this. Good for Alabama

My thoughts exactly, some states have a lot of catching up to do, no offense. Go Alabama!

Now my future SIL and her partner can get married in the state they were both born and live in! I'm so happy and excited and happy for them!

Oh, and Gov. Robert Bentley and Attorney General Luther Strange can kiss my ass. Oh, and this ruling came down while Mike Huckabee was in my neck of the woods today. I find that hilarious!

My thoughts exactly, some states have a lot of catching up to do, no offense. Go Alabama!

No kidding. I thought my state (Georgia) would legalize way sooner, as we have the lgbtq capital of the South. I have been sorely disappointed. We are right on track to be dead last, along with North Dakota and Nebraska. I never in a million years thought we'd come behind Alabama and Mississippi. Words cannot express how embarrassed and horrified I am.

I'm really pleased for Alabama, because my family takes vacation near Mobile each year- now, if I wanted to, I could go without worrying about my non-recognized marriage stopping my wife from seeing me if I got hurt and had to go to the hospital. (car accident, shark attack, jellyfish, sudden huge illness).

That's the problem with delaying these rights. In even the time of a short stay, healthcare decisions will need to be made, people could be dying or in comas, or one partner needs listed as "spouse" on the death cert so they can be buried together.

Also, I'm very happy for people who can have recognition and get married, but I never thought I'd see it happen where in over half the states with marriage equality, if you marry your partner on Saturday, your boss can legally fire you for doing so, or refuse to cover your partner for insurance purposes, on Monday.

All I'm saying is, you can't eat love.

I really was surprised at Alabama, in a good way, and yes, you said it first so I will just chime in 16strong and say that I was expecting much more of Georgia. Rooting for you guys though.

I'm thrilled that it's Alabama who did it, since they're generally viewed so negatively in terms of social progress. It just feels like a really giant step somehow.

Here's a current map of same-sex marriage laws in the US, btw. Just look at all that navy blue. Ten years ago it was ONE state, you guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m ... in_USA.svg

I'm in South Carolina, and we are in the midst of some sort of glorious dream currently. As of November, same-sex marriage is technically legal (though there are several cases challenging it), and there is a strong push in the works to legalize medical marijuana in the very near future.

It's... it's like we are living in the latter half of the 20th century! FINALLY!

No offense taken. I have lived in Alabama all my life, and I know how things are here. I'm shocked we aren't the last state standing on this issue.

The company I worked for had a strict nondiscrimination rule and offered health insurance for domestic partners of employees (hetero and homosexual). But my employer was part of a bigger nationwide company.

I just hope that someday it can just be "marriage". (between two humans.)

I just hope that someday it can just be "marriage". (between two humans.)

I know! I was talking to a friend soon after I got married, but before it became legal in her state and many others (IIRC, 13 or 14 states at the time). She said, "Isn't it ridiculous? One day I hope we'll hear "Bob and Bob got married, and it's so awful! By that, I mean the terrible food at the reception." :lol:

I can see LGBT people getting marriage licenses in places like Birmingham, Montgomery, and Huntsville but what about these small rural areas? Will they decide not to comply?

Whoo! I live in Alabama and my friends and I are just so thrilled! I actually have a friend who went and got ordained as a minister online so he can be an officiant for any gay friends that wanted to celebrate with a wedding. Love it!

Probate judges and offices won't have a choice but to issue licenses and marry gay couples. Ministers on the other hand, good luck. Look for progressive churches. Huntsville would be your best bet. There are gay activists groups there according to my future in-laws. And Huntsville is a little oasis of liberal in an other wise ass backwards, ultra conservative state.

princessmahina, I'm glad your friend got ordained.

No kidding. I thought my state (Georgia) would legalize way sooner, as we have the lgbtq capital of the South. I have been sorely disappointed. We are right on track to be dead last, along with North Dakota and Nebraska. I never in a million years thought we'd come behind Alabama and Mississippi. Words cannot express how embarrassed and horrified I am.

When I lived in Georgia, I was completely confused by this contrast, way starker than even Texas, which also has massive LGBT communities and lots of religious haters.

But no worries, Georgia, SCOTUS will fix this for everyone within a year. Coming soon to a Georgia near you!

Fuck you Judge Moore:

http://www.waff.com/waff/db/330702/content/0grZZfdg

So it appears Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore has ordered

"Effective immediately, no Probate Judge of the State of Alabama nor any agent or employee of any Alabama Probate Judge shall issue or recognize a marriage license that is inconsistent with Article 1, Section 36.03, of the Alabama Constitution or § 30-1-19, Ala. Code 1975."

It continues to say that if any probate judge fails to follow the state constitution, "it would be the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer of the State of Alabama, Governor Robert Bentley... to ensure the execution of the law."

http:/www.waff.com/waff/db/330702/content/8jtobwo

HRC and SPLC have blasted Judge Moore and calling him out on his bullshit. Sorry, Moore, but you don't have the power to override a federal court order. But what do you want to bet probate offices defy the federal ruling and side with Moore?

Again, fuck you Judge Moore. You have no respect for authority!

Judge Moore got the big smack down from the Supremes.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to halt same-sex marriages in Alabama, paving the way for the first gay couples to marry in the state on Monday.

In January, Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange had asked a judge to put a stay on the ruling that overturned the state's ban on gay marriage. Roy Moore, chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, sent an order to state probate judges Sunday night telling them not to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, according to the AP.

The Supreme Court justices ruled 7-2 Monday morning that same-sex weddings could start in Alabama, making it the 37th state where gay marriage is allowed.

I'm sure Judge Moore has called god in for a private chat in chambers.

I swear the south is slow. They're always the last ones to pass things like this. Good for Alabama

The Duggars will not be pleased about this. I'm surprised they haven't said anything yet.

Archived