IGNORED

Gay marriage for Alabama

RosyDaisy

But the outlawing of ALL marriage. That's insane? These assholes are wasting taxpayer dollars fighting like this. So much for the conservative concept of less government.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the outlawing of ALL marriage. That's insane? These assholes are wasting taxpayer dollars fighting like this. So much for the conservative concept of less government.

So, I don't live in Alabama and my ox wouldn't be gored by such a decision. But I bet that a whole bunch of AL residents who are on the fence about marriage equality would start yelling at their elected officials to grow the fuck up, if AL were to outlaw all marriage just so it didn't have to issue licenses to same-sex couples. Paradoxically, I think this decision would drive home just how ridiculous it is for the state to say, "You two consenting non-related adults cannot marry!"

This is Alabama politics. Believe it or not the vast majority of residence will support any means to prevent gay marriage. They are too stupid and ignorant to realize the problems all of that will cause.

NOTE: Vast majority does not mean all.

I agree, RosyDaisy. I just watched Selma, and I'm not saying these things are exactly the same struggle, but in both cases, people in Alabama fought and fought until the feds stepped in. I'm guessing that even with a federal or Supreme Court order, some judges might continue to deny same-sex marriage, or the judges/people might protest or intimidate the people who are going to get married (as literal gay-bashing is a thing in some parts of the rural South). Like with the march, I wouldn't be too surprised if in certain really conservative AL counties now, the feds might need to send someone to watch the clerks, or possibly even protect the couples.

I could be way off, but I just know when I would be with my family in Alabama, even near Mobile where it's less rural, I never felt really safe going there after I came out.

Chief Justice Moore is going to fight this until his last breath. I have heard people agree with Justice Murdock's suggestion of banning all marriage. So far, in my county there hasn't been any violence towards gay couples, just disgusted facial expressions and coldness towards them. I'm really afraid for my future SIL and her same sex fiancée. This could get really ugly.

Toothfairy, I'm assuming you are just joking?

But can't you marry your sibling in Alabama?

No, you cant. I just looked it up, and you cant marry your sibling. Closest youre allowed is first cousins. No more incesty than most of America.

Exactly! Don't they see that they're contradicting themselves?

I'm not a skilled debater; I get tongue-tied, and can't come up with the perfect point until later. Still, I think even I could win an argument against these folks.

I wish State Rep. Todd had made good on her threat to out Alabama politicians and their affairs.

Archived