IGNORED

Radaronline: Jana said no to courting Zach

Letgo

Zach Bates is supposed to have asked to court Jana prior to meeting his wife, Whitney. I'm guessing this was after his first courtship ended. Radar says Jana and Zach went on some chaperoned outings and he asked JB for permission to court Jana. Jana, however, was not interested in Zach and told her father no. Zach must have met Whitney soon after this.

Jana still has not found a man who interests her. I keep wondering if she actually does want to marry, or if she really is fine with staying single. Remaining single means her days of rearing children are numbered. Josie is five now, so in another few years Jana will be done. I recall JB and Michelle saying that by age 12 their children should be "finished" and able to act responsibly on their own. Of course, that still doesn't mean any of the children are ever treated as adults, no matter their ages, but by 12 the work of instilling values in the children should be done.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, now they're dredging up rumours from like 3 years ago. Are they paying people to sift through the archives here? Pathetic... hey Radar, why don't you do your own reporting, there's a lot of actual information out there on the Duggars' links to Bill Gothard, the Pearls, etc. Trust me it's a lot more salacious than fluff about Jana and Zach Bates that was already old years ago.

Zach and Whitney seem to be a very good match. Zach and Jana: nah, wouldn´t have worked imho.

I think this constant Bates/Duggars pairing up is quite a bit kitschy. Why they MUST be friends and marry into each others family, just because both are large families? The parents obviously can´t stand each other anyway.

Zach and Whitney seem to be a very good match. Zach and Jana: nah, wouldn´t have worked imho.

I think this constant Bates/Duggars pairing up is quite a bit kitschy. Why they MUST be friends and marry into each others family, just because both are large families? The parents obviously can´t stand each other anyway.

I think it's likely to happen at some point. With 19 kids in each family, and with them being generally the same age, there's a high probability for a courtship to happen between the two families. The soonest I could see it happening would be Josiah with Tori or Carlin. But it'll probably happen with the younger kids.

But I wonder if they see each other more like cousins, since they grew up pretty close. Close family friends of mine would never cross my mind as potential spouses, simply because I grew up with them.

I don't see this Bates/Duggar dislike at all. How do they show this? I am really curious about this idea that they don't like each other. I have seen others post the same. Or that the men like each other but the women don't, or vice versa. The families make trips to see each other-why do that if you can't stand the people you are going to visit? The Duggars could simply never have had the Bates family on the show. What evidence is there that they can't stand each other? I could see a rivalry to have Child #20, but not dislike or enmity. And thankfully, I doubt either family will reach #20.

But I wonder if they see each other more like cousins, since they grew up pretty close. Close family friends of mine would never cross my mind as potential spouses, simply because I grew up with them.

But they didn't really grow up with each other. They had met at an ATI conference, but the first time the Bateses were on the show they hadn't seen each other in several years. Admittedly they do see more of each other now but it still seems to be every couple of months.

I would not be surprised if there wasn't at least one Duggar/Bates marriage eventually. Joseph/Tori or Josiah/Carlin are both matches that I could see working much better than Jana/Zach (which never would have seemed "right," IMO, even if it was true - and I doubt it is).

I still wouldn't be shocked if Lawson went for Jinger. Lawson strikes me as the most attention-hungry Bates kid. I think he would be an enthusiastic participant in the whole circus that goes along with a Duggar wedding. He'd probably use it as a walking talking commercial for his "music career."

ETA: I do hope Jinger and Lawson never do get matched up, though. There's something about Lawson I really don't like and I can't quite put a finger on it. He's got a bit of an obnoxious attitude IMO. I hope Jinger can find someone better, preferably a non-fundie living in the city.

I don't see this Bates/Duggar dislike at all. How do they show this? I am really curious about this idea that they don't like each other. I have seen others post the same. Or that the men like each other but the women don't, or vice versa. The families make trips to see each other-why do that if you can't stand the people you are going to visit? The Duggars could simply never have had the Bates family on the show. What evidence is there that they can't stand each other? I could see a rivalry to have Child #20, but not dislike or enmity. And thankfully, I doubt either family will reach #20.

I think Kelly thinks JimBob is a fool. Her reaction to him pretending to kidnap her kids without telling her was pretty livid. When he tried to blame it on Grandma Duggar, Kelly defended her. But it was all being filmed so she threw Amy under the bus to put JimBob's ego back into place.

@Coco, yes this event I think it was -for me, imho - really visible that there is some tension. I just get this "vibes" the Bates and Duggars are just not good friends. Their visits seem to be entirely staged for the show.

@Coco, yes this event I think it was -for me, imho - really visible that there is some tension. I just get this "vibes" the Bates and Duggars are just not good friends. Their visits seem to be entirely staged for the show.

I think they are friends in the way that you become friends with the families of people you work with sometimes, you know? They're similar, constantly compared, and both are IBLP poster families.

It's obvious that despite all their theological similarities that they have very different personalities, and very different atmospheres at home. IBLP seems big on supporting the poster families in a "their success is everyone's success" kind of way. Gil is on the board at IBLP and knows how important the Duggars are for IBLP. It's probably a business relationship even more than a personal one.

I don't think they necessarily DISLIKE each other, but I do think they probably exaggerate how close they are, or at least how close they were before TV shows made it easier for them to see each other more often.

And I agree that Kelly is probably the smartest of the four. I've especially noticed it in her replies on her blog posts. They are much more intelligent and logical than anything Michelle could write. She can actually write a coherent sentence that has a rational train of thought without starting every sentence with "God says..." "Jesus said..." :roll:

I wonder if either family will comment on it.

If they commented on every dumbass thing Radar Online published, they'd never do anything else.

Most of their visits haven't been featured on the show. I remember seeing Lawson in the background of an episode. Zach has said that John David is one of his best friends. If there was some tension between the two families, would the Bates have allowed the some of the kids to celebrate Christmas with the Duggars?

An former housemate of mine worked for a gossip magazine. And yeah they just made shit up. Sometime they where right though ;)

I doubt they are in this case!

If they commented on every dumbass thing Radar Online published, they'd never do anything else.

It would give them something to do. Seems collectively they do not get much accomplished.

Ha! When I read that I thought maybe it was possible, only because I haven't seen that rumor/speculation here. And it turns out it had been discussed here--that explains that.

As far as the Duggar/Bates overall relationship, I agree that Kelly is definitely the smartest of the four, no question, and I wouldn't be surprised if she disliked Jim Bob, though I missed the episode where she appeared mad at his antics. Jim Bob's sense of humor is juvenile, and--not to diminish his successes before the show, because I think there's a lot to respect there--he's not at all bright. Remember when he was campaigning for someone, and during an interview he kept stuttering and mispronouncing a candidate's name? He just kept starting over, honestly believing that the news program would just cut out his flubs. That, to me, said so much about him--he must be so irritating to be around, because there's no one more annoying than a talkative idiot, and anyone reasonably intelligent and not obligated to kiss his ass because he's their authority would get tired of him really quickly.

I think that the Duggar and Bates kids are friends. I've seen through their (both families) social media that the kids spend a lot of time together. Didn't 5 Bates kids spend Christmas at the Duggar compound? Now Joseph is going to the same college that the Bates kids (if they go) attend.

I can see an eventual Duggar/Bates courtship down the road. Lawson/Jinger (Lawson seems to spend a lot of time with the Duggars), Nathan/Jinger, Joseph/Tori, Trace/Joy, etc (I can't speak for any of the younger kids). There also might be an unexpected one too (age gap) since the Bates marriages so far have a 4-5 year age gap (with him being older)

I guess I am in the minority here and I don't see tension between them either. Jim Bob was one of the main reasons they were able to get their house re-done and the kids are obviously very fond of each other and stay with one another quite a bit based on photos. And I think there have been some nice moments with Kelly and Michelle, though Michelle's demeanor was more superficial, but I think that is just her.

They may have rekindled their friendship just for those early episodes of the show, but I do think it is genuine. At least as genuine as Michelle and Jim Bob can be.

Is there competition? Perhaps, as we all know JB is competitive and Gil seems like he is too. I could see some tension developing if the Duggars perceived that the Bates Family was stealing their thunder. So far they all seem to support one another's endeavors. I am also certain that the reason Joseph is going to Crown, is the proximity to the Bates Family. So the clearly trust one another with their kids, even after the miscalculated "Kidnap" situation. I watched that episode recently and I really think that describing Kelly's reaction as "livid" is a bit hyperbolic. In fact when I watched it a second time, I almost felt like the situation was somewhat scripted and she knew or assumed JB was behind it the whole time, but TLC played it up a bit to show what a "character" that Jim Bob is.

If she had truly believed her kids were kidnapped, Camera's rolling or not, I think Kelly is enough of a Mother Bear that she would have torn JB a new one. Kelly may have the whole "Submissive" wife theme going, but I think it is pretty clear that she is a force to be reckoned with and I imagine she is the Neck that control's Gil's head most of the time, on matters that matter to her.

Zach Bates is supposed to have asked to court Jana prior to meeting his wife, Whitney. I'm guessing this was after his first courtship ended. Radar says Jana and Zach went on some chaperoned outings and he asked JB for permission to court Jana. Jana, however, was not interested in Zach and told her father no. Zach must have met Whitney soon after this.

Jana still has not found a man who interests her. I keep wondering if she actually does want to marry, or if she really is fine with staying single. Remaining single means her days of rearing children are numbered. Josie is five now, so in another few years Jana will be done. I recall JB and Michelle saying that by age 12 their children should be "finished" and able to act responsibly on their own. Of course, that still doesn't mean any of the children are ever treated as adults, no matter their ages, but by 12 the work of instilling values in the children should be done.

If that were the case they wouldn't need to have chaperones to keep them accountable.

At what age would a 'child' be allowed to go on an unchaperoned outing?

There were rumors that post Sarah Reith and as Zach was getting to know Whitney that Kelly was aggressively searching for a more traditional Fundie girl to court Zach. I don't remember the source on these, but they came up around the time of Zach's engagement and wedding.

I can see someone like Jana agreeing to attend some "events" with Zach, who she probably likes well enough as a friend/acquaintance, out of sympathy or because of the pressure. I'm sure she felt bad for Zach with his broken courtship, and Jana is the kind of person I can see caving to pressure like this in an attempt to please people.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I don't think this is very far fetched. But I also don't think it is newsworthy. I'm sure this is not the only person the girls have gotten to know better and then decided against.

Archived