IGNORED

Let's go for a run with Olivia!

ThatSnark

This post made me go between :shock: and :cry: because of the subtext. Olivia ran a 5K in her community; throughout the year, she's been collecting exercise clothing via ThredUp, which appears to be a sort of online thrift store. All good, right?

Except her post has her running in an odd layered concoction of leggings, running skirt that goes to the knees, and fashion boots with fleece lining-- because her 6-7 year old running shoes aren't fit for running. She goes through some gymnastic explaining of why the boots were a-ok after all, but the subtext is that as a SAHD under Daddysir's thumb, she either can't afford or isn't allowed to have appropriate/new exercise clothing and shoes.

The outfit is a huge WTF until it's decoded, and then it's just sad. freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/12/active-what-i-wore-to-run-5k.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post made me go between :shock: and :cry: because of the subtext. Olivia ran a 5K in her community; throughout the year, she's been collecting exercise clothing via ThredUp, which appears to be a sort of online thrift store. All good, right?

Except her post has her running in an odd layered concoction of leggings, running skirt that goes to the knees, and fashion boots with fleece lining-- because her 6-7 year old running shoes aren't fit for running. She goes through some gymnastic explaining of why the boots were a-ok after all, but the subtext is that as a SAHD under Daddysir's thumb, she either can't afford or isn't allowed to have appropriate/new exercise clothing and shoes.

The outfit is a huge WTF until it's decoded, and then it's just sad. freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/12/active-what-i-wore-to-run-5k.html

I saw that too and went "whaaa?" She and all of her modest fashion cohort always come off as so goddamn clueless about how to dress themselves, for self-proclaimed "fashion gurus." It's such a struggle and a burden to leave the house not wearing a tube top! I work in an office with a professional dress code which means that I don't wear above-the-knee skirts, sleeveless or low-cut shirts, or anything skin-tight. It's not a calling from god, it's just a common expectation. And you know what? It's fucking easy. I mean, every woman has felt frustrated while shopping. But I have never, ever gone into a department store looking for work-appropriate clothing and walked away empty-handed after confronting an unbroken sea of spandex minidresses and stripper shoes. So how come all these fundies are whining about how it's IMPOSSIBLE to dress like a lady nowadays? Maybe it's harder when you lack the basic sense to know that you don't run a 5k in Uggs.

Why even advertise this? She looks like she has no idea how to dress herself. The outfit is meh for a "modest running outfit" I guess, but the boots? Stupid.

with all the random clothes she buys (even if it's for sale or thift store) she could afford some actual running shoes

"how to make jeans modest" wtf??

I used to sell shoes in a department store. Rocket Dog is a cheap crap brand; she is really lucky she didn't injure herself running a 5K in those. Insane.

All of her shoes are cheap. And look cheap. Good shoes can expensive-up an inexpensive outfit. Cheap shoes cheapen an expensive outfit. Just sayin'. If she is injured she is dumber than I thought for running in those awful shoes.

I run.

I wear running skirts when I run.

I usually also wear leggings when I run.

My necklines are high when I run (because who the F makes low cut running shirts?).

I somehow manage to look like a runner and not some confused mall girl who accidentally wandered on to the course.

I will run a 12k on Sunday, and I guarantee you 90% of female runners will be modestly dressed in layers (because December), look cute, and still look like runners.

HOW DID YOU MESS THIS UP?!?

You can get a pair of Nike running shoes on ebay for $25 bucks, almost brand new. She is a fool for running in those boots given that she's already having pain issues with her knees. As with most fundies, it makes me wonder if this is less about actually saving money and more about putting on a big show of how frugal you are.

Also, I found it weird that she mentions finding skirts "actually" long enough for her 5 foot 2 inch frame as if that's really tough. I'm 5'1 and have no issue finding long skirts--in fact, it's an issue finding shorter ones. Because 5'2 and 5'1 is short. It's not hard to find something that's to our knees or below.

Doesn't she also carry a hidden gun? No way am I going out running with someone casually toting a gun regardless of what they are wearing. America's love of guns is not something I can understand.

I run.

I wear running skirts when I run.

I usually also wear leggings when I run.

My necklines are high when I run (because who the F makes low cut running shirts?).

I somehow manage to look like a runner and not some confused mall girl who accidentally wandered on to the course.

I will run a 12k on Sunday, and I guarantee you 90% of female runners will be modestly dressed in layers (because December), look cute, and still look like runners.

HOW DID YOU MESS THIS UP?!?

Good luck, Georgiana! Do well and have fun!

You can get a pair of Nike running shoes on ebay for $25 bucks, almost brand new. She is a fool for running in those boots given that she's already having pain issues with her knees. As with most fundies, it makes me wonder if this is less about actually saving money and more about putting on a big show of how frugal you are.

Also, I found it weird that she mentions finding skirts "actually" long enough for her 5 foot 2 inch frame as if that's really tough. I'm 5'1 and have no issue finding long skirts--in fact, it's an issue finding shorter ones. Because 5'2 and 5'1 is short. It's not hard to find something that's to our knees or below.

WTF? I'm over 6'. Unlike one of the PPs, I frequently walk away from shopping trips empty handed because I can't find clothes that are long enough to be decent. But I'm the first to admit that it has everything to do with my being a size and shape that doesn't fit into 2 standard deviations from the mean (whatever the mean is), and not because the designers want me to go to work looking like I'm going clubbing. This girl needs to grow the hell up and stop trying to find persecution every time something is a little bit frustrating.

I *think* what she meant is that because she is only 5' 2", running skirts are long on her and thus modest enough. Not defending her, though--she looks ridiculous, and I can't imagine how she ran in those boots. She's an adult. If she can't afford even inexpensive running shoes, she needs to find a way to make money. Doesn't she have a sewing business?

I don't think it's a money issue. I read her blog pretty regularly, and she seems to have no issue spending money on things she wants. Usually, it's small change here or there, but not always. There was a $80 ThredUp haul just a couple months ago, and she spent quite a lot of the Summer traveling on her own dime to go to weddings. I think it's just another function of her "LOL SO ADORABLE+RANDOM" online persona. She decided to enter the race, but didn't care enough about it or a pre-existing injury to actually prepare properly. But that's okay, because twirling in 5 layers of stretchy skirts on your back deck is sooooo awkward and funny!

A good pair of running shoes can cost hundreds of dollars. But ANYTHING (besides flip-flops) would be better than running in non-supportive old boots. Particularly if you have a known injury. Thrift shops carry athletic shoes and sneakers regularly. If you're willing to wear a used slip, sports bra or leggings, why not a used pair of sneakers? Furthermore, ThredUp (which is an awesome site and I've used it a few times for work shirts) carries sneakers on the regular. As of right this moment, they have over 325 listings for sneakers, at least half of which are gently-used athletic shoes.

The comments on that post are pretty typical, but one reader called her out on her shaky understanding of her injury. Olivia's family seems to really push the "wellness" angle. She writes a lot about feeling fatigued from Lyme's Disease, and needing to spend the day resting, etc. She and her sister have both sat out of physically demanding chores due to headaches, if memory serves me. I find it kind of surprising that her family encouraged her to participate with a known injury. Either it's not that bad, and she's just hamming it up for attention, or it's as bad as she says, but she was determined to participate in the race anyway.

"I've been slowly collecting various exercise outfits from ThredUP this year."

In a year of acquiring exercise outfits, it never occurred to you to check if your running shoes, which are "6 or 7 years" old, might need to be replaced? If you're taking up running, the first thing that you do is check your shoes.

As for the boots helping her to stay warm: I hike in all sorts of weather. You'd be surprised how warm you can get once you're in motion. Knee-high fur-lined boots are not needed for that.

Ehh, even in motion boots are never warm enough for me. No idea why, but always have cold feet in the winter, and I wear some expensive boots of a very good brand.

As someone who has bunions, I beg her to wear appropriate and quality footwear.

Otherwise she will facing painful and expensive surgery.

My hairdresser wears ballet flats too small for her feet. Her feet look stuffed into the shoes. She is young now but I can only imagine what her feet will look like after a decade of standing all day.

My feet hurt just looking at those boots and imagining running in them or even taking a long walk.

I *think* what she meant is that because she is only 5' 2", running skirts are long on her and thus modest enough. Not defending her, though--she looks ridiculous, and I can't imagine how she ran in those boots. She's an adult. If she can't afford even inexpensive running shoes, she needs to find a way to make money. Doesn't she have a sewing business?

Apparently, "Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!""

I need the verse that says you have to run in boots.

Makes me feet hurt just to think about running in those things. But I have awkwardly sized feet and would do terrible damage trying to run in something that doesn't lace firmly on.

Apparently, "Fresh Modesty is fashion blog which encourages girls to "Dress outside your box, but inside His Book!""

I need the verse that says you have to run in boots.

something about running when no man pursueth? :lol:

#mostguysdontgetturnedonbyrunningshoessojustbecomfyolivia

and hopefully she didn't give herself plantar fasciitis.

What the heck happened to these shoes? freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-workout-outfit.html?m=1

Not that sketchers are super for running, but still...actually, what was wrong with this entire outfit?

To me it sounded like, since she isn't a habitual runner, she just didn't realize her shoes were falling apart until it was too later to replace them in time for the race. Although if it had been me, I would have worn them anyway, instead of the boots, unless they were literally falling apart to the extent that they wouldn't stay on my feet.

Other than the boots I didn't think there was anything wrong with her outfit. My running wardrobe is mostly a mix of old stuff I don't care about anymore and t-shirts from races, plus a few pieces of actual fitness clothing, so I sometimes run in an odd mish-mash of colors and patterns, especially when it's cold and I'm layering.

Archived