IGNORED

Will There Ever be a Duggar-Bates Wedding?

roddma

Since the Bateses were introduced everyone has been rooting for a Duggar Bates marriage. The chances are now nil for the older kids since the older ones from both sides got married. There's only Jana, John David, and Jinger left for the 20ish Duggars. All the older Bateses are married/courting if I am correct. The greatest chance would be the younger Duggars and Bates long after the show. But then I wouldnt count on it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since these kidults have no other options but to marry I was rooting for Jessa to hook up with Lawson Bates but noooooo she had to be a cradle robbing pervert and go for the child bridegroom that is Ben Seewald (Seawald? Seeweed? whatever). Lawson could still go for Jinger though. Hell, even Jana, because although Jana/Lawson's age difference is about the same as Jessa/Ben's Lawson is 22 and a half, not BARELY legal, like Ben. Plus he seems to have much more going for him with his music and lawn business. Nathan is 21 but, as super mean as this is to say, the Duggar women are leagues above his butterface self. On the flip side the same goes for the adult Duggar men and Tori Bates. She deserves way better in the looks department than those trolls.

It's so weird how these families end up with gorgeous daughters and, for the most part, extremely unattractive sons.

NOT THAT LOOKS SHOULD MATTER, YEAH I'M BEING SHALLOW AND VAIN, ETC. ETC.

Does anyone remember years and years ago, back when the Bates family was first introduced on 17 Kids and Counting how everyone was rooting for an Erin and John David pairing? Ahahaha, she sure dodged that bullet.

Anyway, it almost seems inevitable that there will be a Duggar/Bates pairing someday just because of the sheer number of them. Even if it's in one of the subsequent generations and not any of the original 19 on either side. Or cross generational like Mackenzie Duggar marrying one of the two youngest Bates boys for example. It'll happen someday!

I've always had the feeling that the Bates don't really like the Duggars. Of course they would never admit that, but I guess the friendship between the parents is not too close. I just can't see Kelly being thrilled about a Duggar/Bates wedding.

Fingers crossed for a Lawson/Jinger match. Maybe after they marry,he can move to Nashville full time for his career and Jinger can move to a big city. A big FU to Jilly and her contentment speech.

But someone brought up earlier that Boob would be hesitant to let a J daughter marry someone who would take them away from the compound and therefore away from his influence. So there may be a better chance of Bates daughter/ Duggar son pairing

I've always had the feeling that the Bates don't really like the Duggars. Of course they would never admit that, but I guess the friendship between the parents is not too close. I just can't see Kelly being thrilled about a Duggar/Bates wedding.

This!

Cradle robbing pervert? She's three years older than him and he's an adult. Give me a break. :roll:

I think there is a good possibility of a Duggar/Bates wedding some day. Because although I think the closeness of their relationship is totally overblown by the show, I also think they are friends, do generally like each other, and there isn't this hatred/feud going on that many believe. Just based on sheer numbers and the fact that they know each other and share the same beliefs, I could see it happening one day. There are only so many fundies to choose from, after all.

I'm guessing someday, but given all the speculation about Jana and Zach (created by TLC mind you), I'll believe when an announcement is made.

I think Jinger and Lawson would be a nice match. He likes to see and be involved in the world, which Jinger would like. I'm not sure he's anywhere near marriage, though. He's trying to create a little music career, so he might wait a bit.

Anyone else, I don't know. I don't see Nathan with any of the marriageable Duggar girls. Tori is the oldest unmarried Bates girl, and I don't see her with either John, Joseph or Josiah.

It might happen eventually with the younger kids, but we'll see.

Certainly would be ratings gold, for both of their shows.

I think it could happen with the younger kids. The families have a lot in common and the older/middle kids seem to visit with each other often...though I believe there's tension between the parents (and I wouldn't blame Kelly a bit for having some mixed feelings about Jim Bob).

Ditto. I get that impression as well. Yes, they tolerate and maybe even "like" the Duggars, and they clearly have much in common. BUT...I don't think the Bates' consider the Duggars as "refined" as they are (nor do I). Remember when they were having the auction and JB was trolling for some donations from Gil? I got the sense that Gil was annoyed with JBs pressure to dondate something of big value. Didn't get the sense that Gil was being cheap, so much as he was like, "This guy gets on my last nerve."

I must be dull, because I have never had the impression that they weren't close. There seems to be a lot of pics both family's IG of the kids playing and hanging out. And if the kids are together, then the parents must be together because they do things as families.

Are they best friends? Probably not, but I get the impression that they are really close.

I do have a question though about when the Bates home got remodeled. Did Jim Bob foot the bill for that? Was that really a pay back for all of the help at the Duggar's home after the terrible ice and snow storm?

The parents don't seem to like each other that much, but Michael and Jana, Zach and JD, and Joseph and Lawson seem to be really close friends. The parents allow the kids to stay with each other, so even if they don't like each other, they facilitate the friendship enough letting them stay with them. Of course, allowing your kids to be friends with each other and allowing them to marry are entirely different, but I just don't think they hate each other as much as they are frenamies/super competitive.

I think they'd allow a marriage, even if all the parents don't like each other. To risky not to allow one - the kids could go rogue and go to the media.

Plus, it really would bring in more money for both families, so I don't think they'd look at it so negatively.

could someone share in more detail why they think the parents don't like each other? I really don't get that impression.

I can't say whether they like each other or not, but while the relationship wasn't created by TLC it appears to have been completely fostered by it. And we've never gotten to see much beyond what TLC presents to us. Would the families really have gone out of their way to associate with each other outside of Big Sandy but for the two TV shows?

I did get the strong impression on that fake camping trip the "girls" went on a season or two ago that Michelle wasn't very comfortable around the much more openly affectionate, gregarious Kelly.

I can't say whether they like each other or not, but while the relationship wasn't created by TLC it appears to have been completely fostered by it. And we've never gotten to see much beyond what TLC presents to us. Would the families really have gone out of their way to associate with each other outside of Big Sandy but for the two TV shows?

I did get the strong impression on that fake camping trip the "girls" went on a season or two ago that Michelle wasn't very comfortable around the much more openly affectionate, gregarious Kelly.

I agree. While Kelly was chatting away it seemed that J'chelle did not have much to say other than her constant repeatings of "new season of life".

I do think the kids get along quite well with each other but I never had the feeling between J'chelle/Boob and Kelly/Gil (but I am sure they don't hate each other). I agree that the relationship between the two families was fostered by TLC as I can't imagine they would have visited each other on a regular basis without the TV show. At Big Sandy they might have talked to each other because their kids were the same age and both had more or less the same amount of kids but aside from that they don't seem to have much in common. Promoting those two huge families are best friends was just great for the ratings.

The kids seem to like one another, as they are regularly pictured hitching rides with each other to go to events and trips together. They wouldn't do that if they didn't.

On the other hand, I don't get the vibe that the parents really care for one another. Kelly and J'chelle in particular. I get the impression that J'chelle likes the association with the Bates for fame purposes and the "see, we're not the only family with 19 kids!" but Kelly only puts up with it so that her kids can have people their own age as friends that they can relate to. Given the house remodeling, she also probably feels a bit obligated to continue the relationship.

I always got the feeling that the Bates love the Duggars because of hospitality and that only. Like they like them because they have to. I think the Duggars like the Bates because they see them as competition, and the Duggars are competitive people. The race for babies even in fundieland is hard to match.

I do think Gil and Kelly really do like some of the Duggar kids. Like them handing over a baby to Josiah the moment he got there. I always felt like the Bates cared more about their children's well being. Not like they were going to stop being fundie, but if problems arise rule alteration might be in order.

I don't think there will be a marriage in this 'friendship' because if things go badly, they'll both look bad to the fundies and maybe the general public. Marrying below you in the social circles could keep failure on the down low.

Edited to appear less like an idiot. :roll:

Ditto. I get that impression as well. Yes, they tolerate and maybe even "like" the Duggars, and they clearly have much in common. BUT...I don't think the Bates' consider the Duggars as "refined" as they are (nor do I). Remember when they were having the auction and JB was trolling for some donations from Gil? I got the sense that Gil was annoyed with JBs pressure to dondate something of big value. Didn't get the sense that Gil was being cheap, so much as he was like, "This guy gets on my last nerve."

I like Kelly Bates. I think she is a great mother who has a vested interest in her childrens lives. I also think her interacting with her children is wonderful. She knows who they are and what they are about. She doesn't seem awkward talking with her older girls especially. You could tell Kelly is very refined and educated while Michelle Duggar is lacking in finesse and intelligence. If you look at photos of Kelly at her childrens weddings Kelly looked great in her mother of the bride finery while Michelle Duggar looked like a tacky wanna be in her modified dresses. Gil and Kelly did put on nicer receptions for their daughters weddings than the Duggar Parents put on for their girls. Even Mr. And Mrs. Keller and their church friends put on a wonderful reception for Josh and Anna. I would take Kelly Bates over Michelle Duggar any day.

I think since their manufactured relationship only really began at the point that the Duggars had 17 kids the younger ones are going to be closer then the older ones. My guess is that it's the younger Duggars and Bates who are most likely to marry. It could also restart some media attention at a point when the families have left the limelight.

I also think the suggestion of a marriage between one of Josh's children and a younger Bates child is a possibility. Anna and Kelly have always seemed to get along well. I could see a Callie-Anna/Michael, Judson/Mack or Jeb/future M girl although Anna would need to be expecting another girl now for that to work.

Considering fundie children are only allowed to be friends with other families that the parents approve of, I'm sure the parents get along. Joy and Carlin are very close friends from what I can tell. Plus, it seems that families who visit Big Sandy and other ATI summer camps/indoctrination centers consider each other besties. Maybe its the fact of meeting other families just like them? Some I'm sure, come from areas where there isn't a very big ATI community- severely limiting the social circle. Not to mention, as homeschoolers, the term friends tends to be used more generally.

This!

I think she'd probably be fine with a Duggar girl marrying a son, but I can see Gil & Kelly being less than thrilled if I daughter of theirs wanted to marry a Duggar... I have also always sort of felt that they didn't like the Duggars that much.

I also think Kelly & Gil could have a problem with Jim Bob considering he pretended to kidnap their children years ago (remember Kelly telling the story on 19kac?)

I know people say they like the Bates better. While there are some more likable things. the Bateses are still heavily into ATI. Two son in laws are members. I don't think Derick woudl have made the cut with the Bateses.From what I gather, they didnt really approve of Whitney who now drinks the kool aid.

IMO I say at the most they were causal acquaintances but never besties with each other. I think TLC encouraged the relationship to because it isnt everyday you run into families with 19 bio kids and it looks cute to see them together. And the kids do seem to like each other.

Archived