IGNORED

Will There Ever be a Duggar-Bates Wedding?

roddma

1. I think Kelly and Michelle do not really like each other that much, but they have no one else with comparable sized families who can understand what their life is like. I doubt though that they can be too "real" with each other because of JB and Gil being "Leaders" in the Gothard-world. Keep sweet. But let's be honest--how fun is it to try to have "grown up" conversation with 30+ kids in the house, no matter what size the house is!

2. I believe the Duggars "have" to pay it forward by helping the Bates--probably some edict from the cult to make it more "likeable." Remember a group of businessmen just "gave" Gil a bucket truck when he started his business.....Jim-Bob has owned at least one of those..... I DO think that Jim-Bob IS sincere in wanting to help though--I really do. Same in El Salvador. He's plays the dumb American very well, but I think he really does want to help.

3. As to a marriage.....what if they all decide to be contrary and say no! After they threw Zack under the bus with his obviously not appreciated courtship/marriage proposal, I wonder.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the sense that the kids from the families like each other. As far as the parents, I don't think Kelly is keen on JB because of the kidnapping incident. That was mean to do and really can you blame her for not particularly liking him after that. Kelly and Michelle are of different personalities but if it weren't for the common ground of ATI and big families, plus the smaller world they both live and operate in, they probably wouldn't be close friends. Gil and JB look to get along though I hope Gil reamed him out big time for the kidnapping incident offscreen.

Yeah, I thought the kidnapping incident was particularly mean.

I don't see any pairing of the older still single Bates/Duggar kids. If there were any interest, there would have been courtships / marriages by now. Maybe with the younger ones in the future.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been shared anywhere else (I didn't see it), but Erin Paine said in an interview that she thinks a courtship between one of her siblings and a Duggar is bound to happen:

ETonline: Do you think it's possible that one of your siblings would grow up and marry one of the Duggars?

Erin: I personally think, hey you have 19 kids on each side, I think it's almost inevitable somewhere down the line. As much as we see each other, I think there's going to be an attraction somewhere. I don't know where yet, but I think it's gonna happen.

Here's the whole interview: http://www.etonline.com/tv/159657_erin_ ... nevitable/

Not sure if this has been shared anywhere else (I didn't see it), but Erin Paine said in an interview that she thinks a courtship between one of her siblings and a Duggar is bound to happen:

Here's the whole interview: http://www.etonline.com/tv/159657_erin_ ... nevitable/

It would deliciously hilariously ironic if there was indeed a Bates-Duggar attraction - between same sexes. Erin would still be correct in her fortune-telling skill, it would generate a HUGE amount of publicity, and it would absolutely stick in the craw of both sets of parents.

It would deliciously hilariously ironic if there was indeed a Bates-Duggar attraction - between same sexes. Erin would still be correct in her fortune-telling skill, it would generate a HUGE amount of publicity, and it would absolutely stick in the craw of both sets of parents.

It wouldn't ever be discovered. IF there are two kids of the same sex who are attracted to each other, it won't matter. They won't admit it to each other, let alone their families. And it would DEFINITELY never reach the press. Ever.

These are the types of families that would cause a LGBTQIAAP child to internalize homophobia. None of those children are close to anyone who could help them break out of that mindset, accept themselves, come out to their family, and then pursue their love interest. And even if the first 3 things happened, they would never pursue a same sex love interest who came from the same type of family. Not only would they stand the possibility of rejection, but they'd be met with homophobia, lose their friendships, and cause an avalanche of people within their community either shunning them or trying to save them.

The Duggar-Bates kids have been spending alot of time together lately. I think its gonna happen sooner than later

I get the sense that the kids from the families like each other. As far as the parents, I don't think Kelly is keen on JB because of the kidnapping incident. That was mean to do and really can you blame her for not particularly liking him after that. Kelly and Michelle are of different personalities but if it weren't for the common ground of ATI and big families, plus the smaller world they both live and operate in, they probably wouldn't be close friends. Gil and JB look to get along though I hope Gil reamed him out big time for the kidnapping incident offscreen.

Yeah, I thought the kidnapping incident was particularly mean.

I don't see any pairing of the older still single Bates/Duggar kids. If there were any interest, there would have been courtships / marriages by now. Maybe with the younger ones in the future.

I agree that the kidnapping incident was especially mean, and I don't blame Kelly for not really liking JB after that incident. Still, I do think the kids get along, but if there is a Duggar/Bates marriage, it might happen with the younger ones, as the older ones are having courtships with and marrying other fundies.

I'm thinking there might be a courtship between Joseph and Tori happening in the near future.

I always figured there was tension between Michelle and Kelly even if it only existed in Michelle's mind. I got the feeling Michelle was NOT happy when Kelly got pregnant with baby 19. Michelle knew her status would stay high if she could just manage number 20 but she couldn't so now has to settle for a "tie" in the baby race.

Kelly does come across as more warm and welcoming than Michelle. Michelle seems strained, constantly searching for her talking points, trying to find the right words and well, fragile. She reminds me of people I have known on heavy psychotropic drugs for things like bi-polar... not fully connected to the world around her. I have no clue if Michelle struggles with such issues but she doesn't seem comfortable in her own skin and it shows.

If I were Kelly I would be cautious joining my family to the Duggars, she could get a mini-Michelle as a daughter-in-law or a Jim Bob clone as a son-in-law. Why risk that? I think Kelly has higher standards for her children then the Duggars. :popcorn2:

We haven't seen the Bateses as long as we have the Duggars. If "Bringing Up Bates" lasts for a few seasons, I have a feeling the Bates clan's likeability factor will go down.

I'm thinking there might be a courtship between Joseph and Tori happening in the near future.

We've been speculating about this as well. He's in the neighborhood a lot going to Crown college and we've seen LOTS of pics of him with the Bates kids lately

I'm gonna call courtship with Carlin and Joe

Nah. I think Carlin's too young. She's only just 16. I think Kelly and Gil have made it pretty clear that they don't support underage marriages and that they want their kids to be at least 18 when they get married.

I'm gonna call courtship with Carlin and Joe

If Joe is living on campus, it's possible he's courting Tori (not Carlin), but I doubt it. If he's living with the Bateses, he can't court any of the girls. However, Josiah might have gone along to be his accountability partner. And I know a lot of people have been predicting a Josiah/Tori courtship, which I could see happening.

Why not ? Ben was almost living with the Duggars.. If Joe is leaving with the Bateses he is probably sleeping in a garage or a guest house or something, not in the boys room

Why not ? Ben was almost living with the Duggars.. If Joe is living with the Bateses he is probably sleeping in a garage or a guest house or something, not in the boys room

Why not ? Ben was almost living with the Duggars.. If Joe is leaving with the Bateses he is probably sleeping in a garage or a guest house or something, not in the boys room

Is because some crazy norm of clown college. I remember a link being posted somewhere, but don't remember exactly where

With JB's money, Gil's IBLP BoD position, and their ties to. IBLP/ATI, I think an exception can be made.

I think any Duggar/Bates match will be a Duggar man to a Bates woman. It's obvious that JB wants yes men for his daughters, and it seems that Gil wants fundie royalty with money for his daughters.

Because that's the rule at Crown College

If there would be a Duggar/Bates Courtship/Wedding. Which show would get the right to air it first. Quite soon it would become a problem. The show (and family) which can air it first will get more money.

If there would be a Duggar/Bates Courtship/Wedding. Which show would get the right to air it first. Quite soon it would become a problem. The show (and family) which can air it first will get more money.

The production companies would probably do a collaboration or focus on two separate aspect.

Honestly, I think both of the production companies and channels realize that there would be a lot to gain ratings and money wise from the union of the two families. They'd make it work.

The bride's family.

If you look at Duggar wedding planning (for the two weddings that aired), Anna got one planning episode and 1 wedding VSE. Jill got a whole season of planning and a VSE. We already know that Jessa gets at least a dress shopping episode (which Anna did not). (I'm very aware it was a new show when Josh/Anna got married, and there was some distance too.)

I don't know why but people just don't care as much about the groom. IIRC of the 3 Bates weddings, Erin's was aired on 19K, Alyssa's on ABC, and Zach's not at all.

The bride's family.

If you look at Duggar wedding planning (for the two weddings that aired), Anna got one planning episode and 1 wedding VSE. Jill got a whole season of planning and a VSE. We already know that Jessa gets at least a dress shopping episode (which Anna did not). (I'm very aware it was a new show when Josh/Anna got married, and there was some distance too.)

I don't know why but people just don't care as much about the groom. IIRC of the 3 Bates weddings, Erin's was aired on 19K, Alyssa's on ABC, and Zach's not at all.

Because the brides are the ones who get to make the majority of the decisions and (typically) women are more interested in the event (and from a significantly younger age) than men.

It seems that Gil wants fundie royalty with money for his daughters.

Yep - someone has to pay for the weddings that he can't afford?

Or does that not happen anymore?

Edited to fix quote tag.

Archived