IReallyAmHopewell

"Zach and Michaella both attended a small local community college for a semester last year, then did the next semester with that same college on-line."

So how come the Bates kids can attend a community college and a local Christian College without becoming tube-top wearing sluts or green haired guys, but the Duggars are stuck with College Plus??

I'm disappointed in the Bates for taking advantage of Lawson's bank account, but I still have more respect for them--they are letting their kids grow up a little bit and are letting them have a tiny, tiny bit of freedom. I imagine both Michaella and Zach either had to take the same classes or take a sibling, but still! If it's like our very rural, very small community college there's still an impressive cross section of humanity!

This confirming my belief that the Bates are relatively sane and balanced compared to some of the other people. They actually seem to like their kids, and want them to do what will make them happy.

They actually seem to like their kids, and want them to do what will make them happy.

And perhaps sane enough to see that they didn't become all "worldly" from going to Conservative Christian colleges before they married!

Not so fast. Remember the remarks Erin made about sitting next to a green-haired freak. They're allowed to go to very conservative Christian colleges, but a girl can't go alone and a brother has to go with her. They also don't seem to be studying anything particularly useful for a career. I think the college that Erin has gone to is mostly a diploma mill and doesn't carry much weight in the real world. It's really just a different version of the online crap the Duggars do.

This confirming my belief that the Bates are relatively sane and balanced compared to some of the other people. They actually seem to like their kids, and want them to do what will make them happy.

Unless the kids make money, in which case they make sure that kid will be "happy" by "lending" it to the family.

Didn't Kelly say something about CollegePlus on either their blog or in that newspaper article? I know they've got a link for College Plus on their website.

Not so fast. Remember the remarks Erin made about sitting next to a green-haired freak. They're allowed to go to very conservative Christian colleges, but a girl can't go alone and a brother has to go with her. They also don't seem to be studying anything particularly useful for a career. I think the college that Erin has gone to is mostly a diploma mill and doesn't carry much weight in the real world. It's really just a different version of the online crap the Duggars do.

Gil and Kelly probably picked that out for Erin. I agree it is just a different version of CollegePlus.

CollegePlus requires some on-campus classes, depending on the major, that can be taken at a local college and transferred to whatever online diploma mill will eventually issue the "degree." One of my family members recently "graduated" from homeschool college this way.

Gil and Kelly probably picked that out for Erin. I agree it is just a different version of CollegePlus.

Erin attends Crown College in Knoxville, a very strict and highly legalistic college. Boys go there to be preachers. Girls go there to find a mate. They have no accreditation so their degrees are basically only good at any Fundamentalist Churches that are in the loop with the school.

Kelly said, as I quoted, a community college. I stand by what I said--it's still exposure to a wider world and it's still an in-class experience where everyone doesn't believe exactly like their family does. I know Erin has attended Crown--I think that's still a step up from CLEP tests. Even there she will meet some dissenters who have gone there because Mom and Dad have said "if we're paying, this is where you are going." It's a lot harder to face dissent in person than in an online class.

Hey, who wants to learn about Crown College? issuu.com/thecrowncollege/docs/13219_cc_catalog_4c?mode=embed&layout=http://skin.issuu.com/v/dark/layout.xml Check out the back which has the course catalog. It's pretty much all biblical studies all the time, whether you are a business major, divinity major, education major or music major.

It's pretty much a college the way that Bible camp is a college. Chapel every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Weekly "soul-winning" ministries. There's also the stringent rule that all graduate students seeking admission must have received at least a 2.0 in undergrad.

From the student handbook:

All Crown College students (both dormitory and commuter students) are required to attend the services of Temple Baptist Church. This includes the following: Sunday School, Sunday morning service, Sunday evening service, Wednesday evening service,

special meetings, and organized soul-winning... When traveling out of town, students are required to attend church services at a church of like faith on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. Every student is required to submit an activity report online each Monday... On the activity report, students will indicate their church attendance and participation in a soul-winning

ministry during the preceding week.

Students may not accept a job which requires them to work on Sunday... Students may not work at a restaurant where

alcoholic beverages are served...Two students of the opposite sex cannot travel alone in a car to and/or from their place employment unless they are siblings. Dormitory students may not be employed at a hotel or motel. Dormitory students may not housesit. Dormitory ladies may not work at a mall or fast-food restaurant.

All students (on-campus and off-campus) are required to serve in a soul-winning ministry every week and are encouraged to serve in a church ministry each semester... Only non-transfer students of at least junior standing are eligible to receive permission to serve in a local church ministry outside of Temple Baptist Church (The church associated with the 'college').

This is my favorite:

Dating is defined as being with or talking to a member of the opposite sex other than a brief, casual encounter. This includes sitting with a member of the opposite sex at a meal, in chapel, or in church... There will be no physical contact between members of

the opposite sex. Dating couples are not to be in any room, patio, stairway, or hallway without a third person present. Dating couples are not permitted to walk around campus after dark without a third person present.

Ladies are not permitted to ride in a car with men unless permission has been granted by the

Administration. Couples are not to be together without prior administrative approval on Saturdays before lunch or on Sunday afternoons.

OOO! OOOO! THIS ONE IS THE BEST EVER!/sarcasm:

Interracial dating must be approved in writing and verbally by the parents of both students.

Dating couples may not stay in the same home overnight. This rule is in effect throughout the semester, including during any scheduled breaks.

All students have the responsibility to encourage others to respect and obey the rules. Students who encourage others to criticism or improper conduct will be subject to discipline.

There's also the part where they say that you can't say bad things about the college online. They are also not permitted to go to tanning salons, co-ed beauty salons, movie theaters, co-ed gyms, etc. There's also daily dorm inspections for those who life on campus. Students must not get up before 5 AM, but they also must not get up after 7:30 AM. Dorm students may not have TVs, DVDs, Videos or DVD players or play secular music.

This is good too:

Students may only visit the soup/salad bar and the beverage station once per meal time.

Here's a place to look at it: thecrowncollege.com/media/college/files/09-10studenthandbook.pdf

I mean, I guess this qualifies as a "real college" under some definitions, but it doesn't under mine. If anything, in some ways Erin Bates would have LESS freedom there than she does at home.

I don't understand why so many people seem eager to defend the Bateses or to prove that they are less bad than the Duggars. They don't have health insurance and they refuse to accept money they need out of some twisted sense of pride, and their children are the ones who suffer. Their grown-ass son isn't allowed to hold hands with a girl lest it make him impure. They make their teenage daughters wear dresses that would be most appropriate at a circus. Letting their kids take a course at a community college doesn't make up for all the bad stuff, if they even actually meant a secular community college and weren't just referring to Crown College.

Hey, who wants to learn about Crown College? issuu.com/thecrowncollege/docs/13219_cc_catalog_4c?mode=embed&layout=http://skin.issuu.com/v/dark/layout.xml Check out the back which has the course catalog. It's pretty much all biblical studies all the time, whether you are a business major, divinity major, education major or music major.

It's pretty much a college the way that Bible camp is a college. Chapel every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Weekly "soul-winning" ministries. There's also the stringent rule that all graduate students seeking admission must have received at least a 2.0 in undergrad.

From the student handbook:

This is my favorite:

OOO! OOOO! THIS ONE IS THE BEST EVER!/sarcasm:

There's also the part where they say that you can't say bad things about the college online. They are also not permitted to go to tanning salons, co-ed beauty salons, movie theaters, co-ed gyms, etc. There's also daily dorm inspections for those who life on campus. Students must not get up before 5 AM, but they also must not get up after 7:30 AM. Dorm students may not have TVs, DVDs, Videos or DVD players or play secular music.

This is good too:

Here's a place to look at it: thecrowncollege.com/media/college/files/09-10studenthandbook.pdf

I mean, I guess this qualifies as a "real college" under some definitions, but it doesn't under mine. If anything, in some ways Erin Bates would have LESS freedom there than she does at home.

Ugh. My SiL and her sisters went here. It explains so much...

Dating is defined as being with or talking to a member of the opposite sex other than a brief, casual encounter. This includes sitting with a member of the opposite sex at a meal, in chapel, or in church..

~~~~~~~~~~~

I laugh because at my SBC college, this kind of thing starts the rumor mill.

The conversation goes something like this: "I saw Dick and Jane walking across campus sorta closely together...are they dating?"

I gave a guy a ride to work once, and we were engaged by the time I got back- according to rumor. lol

Imagine all the strangers we have just dated after each bus ride.

If that is the case, then I have totes gone gay. I always pick a woman to sit next to if there isn't an empty seat to chose!

I love the dress code rules as well.

For women:

Class dress is considered an appropriate dress or coordinate top and skirt (nodenim), shoes (no sneakers), and hosiery.

Casual dress is considered an appropriate skirt and top, including denim skirts anddresses (not faded) and casual shoes (no flip-flops). Hosiery is not required.

Hairstyles should be neat, orderly, and feminine. Cutting-edge fads should be avoided along with cuts so short that they have a masculine look.

And for men:

Hair must not extend over the top of the ears or over the collar. Sideburns may not extend below the middle of the ear or be cut above the top of the ear.

Men’s hair must be cut in a traditional style. Faddish haircuts or hairstyles are not permitted (such asshaved, spiked, or tangled). Hair may not be colored or highlighted. Students notified of their need of a haircut must receive approval from the Dean of Students before they can attend class the next day

I can't even.

Men’s hair must be cut in a traditional style. Faddish haircuts or hairstyles are not permitted (such asshaved, spiked, or tangled). Hair may not be colored or highlighted. Students notified of their need of a haircut must receive approval from the Dean of Students before they can attend class the next day

I read this as their asses must be shaved. Methinks this would necessitate a buddy system...

No flip flops for casual wear.... uh oh the Dugger girls can't go then !!

No flip flops for casual wear.... uh oh the Dugger girls can't go then !!

That one I can actually kind of see the point of. When I was in academy many MANY girls insisted on wearing them in the middle of dead winter, then complained about how cold they were. Then they'd get sick. Next thing you'd know, half the school would be on sick leave. (It was a small school.)

That said, this is the most wack school I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some completely whack schools. This one takes the cake.

That one I can actually kind of see the point of. When I was in academy many MANY girls insisted on wearing them in the middle of dead winter, then complained about how cold they were. Then they'd get sick. Next thing you'd know, half the school would be on sick leave. (It was a small school.)

That said, this is the most wack school I've ever heard of, and I've heard of some completely whack schools. This one takes the cake.

Whatever. These kids are in COLLEGE. College is not your mom. Get sick, fail a couple classes, you'll start thinking that wwearing socks is a good idea again.

What's crazy is the Crown College is only one of many fundy schools that operate basically the same way. You can check out others at

http://www.fundamentalforums.com/

Archived