IReallyAmHopewell

You can't even have a meal at college with a boy or you are dating???

By there standards I have probably "dated" over 50 guys, between study groups at IHOP for french and just plain eating in the cafeteria with some of my guy friends.

You have to remember..... the fundie still think it is 1815 and that they are in Victorian Great Britain..... at least it appears they got their male-female socialzing rules from that rulebook..... or at least the rulebook that historical romance authors use.

Hey, who wants to learn about Crown College? issuu.com/thecrowncollege/docs/13219_cc_catalog_4c?mode=embed&layout=http://skin.issuu.com/v/dark/layout.xml Check out the back which has the course catalog. It's pretty much all biblical studies all the time, whether you are a business major, divinity major, education major or music major.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. :shock:

So what happens when four guys and five girls (or however many) all eat lunch together? How do they tell who is dating who?

This was how most people ate at my first college, since most of the tables were of the big, long variety. You would eat in a big group of whichever of your friends, girls and guys, were in the cafeteria at the same time as you. I did know of couples that would have "dates" at one of the smaller tables, but usually it was a big crowd.

Didn't Kelly say something about CollegePlus on either their blog or in that newspaper article? I know they've got a link for College Plus on their website.

This is from the comments on their blog under the "tent" article:

By Gil, August 15, 2011 @ 1:28 am

Dear Sara,

College plus acts as a middle man to help offer counsel, direction, and educational tools to help you obtain your major. They have researched great on-line courses, on campus courses, or CLEP tests and other tests that allow you opportunity to earn college credit.The student actually chooses the college he/she wants to graduate from mo(st students do choose an accredited college). They are well known for helping students obtain degrees at a faster pace through long distance learning.

As for Zach plans, we’re certain he will seek the Lords direction for his life. He usually makes very wise decisions and is quite a thinker! But as with any choices in life, there are always pros and cons to both sides that can make a decision cloudy, so the most important goal is to find God’s will. And we trust that is Zach’s goal! But some added food for thought: it would sure be hard to beat the experience Zach is gaining for family life by hands on involvement in a family where he is constantly working on building relationships, loving children, putting others first, learning to help out in household tasks…. what better husband preparation could you ask for???( Not to mention there’s plenty of plumbing needs he sees and conquers here also). But, we are not opposed to God’s leading in any direction… In fact, is quite exciting!! Love, Kelly

Looks like they drank the kool aid

I love how they put 'college' in inverted commas themselves. It's as if even they know it's a joke.

I don't like the Bates but I still think it's better they have SOME kind of achievements other than raising their own younger siblings. They might actually get a sense of individual self-worth out of it, something I see as lacking in Jana Duggar in particular. Erin might still only be aiming to get married but at least she can support herself somewhat in the meanwhile with all her piano tutoring, rather than depending totally on mum and dad.

One of my good friends went to one of these 'colleges' for a few semesters. It was so funny when we both came home from Christmas break and compared notes. There were SO MANY RULES for her. She got demerits for not making her bed and it was a special event when the boys and girls got to tour each other dorms (supervised, of course).

I looked at schools like PCC when I was in high school and, ya know, broke, but dress codes alone convinced me they were not the schools for me, no need for further thought. Exposed bra straps and jeans and how one dresses in college are not anyone else's business in college.

Ok, so Kelly did say in the comments that Michaela and Zach were going to a local community college. It seemed like she wasn't referring to crown college, since then she would have included Erin in the statement.

This is the closest community college to their house but there are several others that aren't too far away.

http://www.roanestate.edu/

(Immodestly dressed girl on the front page!!!)

I really hope Michaela got to go there, even if it is just for one semester. She deserves a better life and this could be a chance for her to see that people live differently and aren't crazy.

Also, I wonder if they saw anyone there with *gasp* green hair!!

Also from the Crown College student handbook section on dating:

A chaperone may be a student’s parent, a close family member, a church family, or someone on the staff at Temple Baptist Church, Temple Baptist Academy, or Crown College.

• Any married couple serving as chaperones must have been married at least one year.

In other words, student couples can't even go on group dates, or with a group of friends their own age--unless the friends have been married over a year. Dating can only happen in the presence of family or adults affiliated with the "college."

ETA: They constantly refer to female students as "ladies." I don't think they had the word "women" once. It reminds me of an essay I read in a cultural anthropology textbook where the author hypothesized that the word "woman" would be phased out for having too strong of a sexual connotation.

I think the college that Erin has goes to is mostly a diploma mill and doesn't carry much weight in the real world.

I don't even think she's pursuing a full degree. The last I heard, she was just taking one or two classes there; nothing close to a full semester of coursework. She can tell churches that she attended and could possibly impress some preacher who needs a new pianist. And if she is a church pianist now, as was mentioned in the ABC special, is she still allowed to do this once she has even one blessing tugging at her skirts (and mussing her overly coiffed 'do...I can't wait for the trauma that iwll cause).

Will her public piano playing days (other than having kids at her home for lessons) be over once she gets her MRS. degree? Or does being a helpmeet trump all and her ability to give piano lessons, even for free...she's being paid for it now, as I understand it, which leads to the question: why couldn't she pay her OWN fucking tuition with the money she earned?

I'm so confused about fundies, "college" and godly finances.

1815 and that they are in Victorian Great Britain

FYI--1815 was in the Reign of the Prince Regent (for George III) Victoria and the Victorian Era began in 1837.......

I wonder if community college class was related to their Fire Fighting/EMT work??

I know a lot of folks who went to strict colleges and just put up with the silly rules to get a free education--they left campus whenever possible. None of them had the "easy A" classes we had my big 10 school--they had huge Bible assignments, deep theology and stuff like that. No multiple choice tests! ha! Many of them turned out to be totally normal backsliders!

No matter where they go, I think it's GREAT that the Bates kids can get out of the house for a while. The super-sheltering is too much to allow normal development.

why couldn't she pay her OWN fucking tuition with the money she earned?

I one of the videos of Erin playing piano (I think it's called "Erin Bates in Concert") Gil says that she spends all the money she earns from teaching on prizes for her students.

I one of the videos of Erin playing piano (I think it's called "Erin Bates in Concert") Gil says that she spends all the money she earns from teaching on prizes for her students.

My first thought was that she spends all the money on food for her family, and that Gil "borrows" it like he does from Lawson.

which leads to the question: why couldn't she pay her OWN fucking tuition with the money she earned?

I can't believe I'm defending Princess Erin, but I'm pretty sure I heard Lawson say that Erin has already paid him back.

Getting a "degree" from Crown College won't get you anywhere. If anything, it teaches women how to be a better homeschooling teacher for her children and are taught how to be submissive, love God, blah blah blah.

It wouldn't surprise me that Gil and Kelly "convinced" Zach and Michaela to no longer go to local community colleges and choose CollegeMinus! since local schools have so many defrauding men and women. Oh no, the horror of seeing a woman in sweat pants and a hoodie. My eyes, they buuuuurn!

Besides, these schools doesn't teach on how to be independence with all those strict rules they have to abide with. Seriously, if my college was like that, I would be so afraid to handle things on my own, that I'd need my mom or dad to hold my hand every step of the way.

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to attend one of these "colleges" just to see how quickly I'd get expelled. I suspect the thing that would do me in would be the ridiculous waking up times. WTF is up with that? Last time I checked, adults are in charge of their own alarm clocks. :shock:

Last time I checked, adults are in charge of their own alarm clocks.

Think of an extremely conservative Christian College like it was the military. Then it begins to be doable. The USMC tells you when to get up, when to report, what to do, what to wear and no one sees anything wrong with that--or if they do they don't join. These colleges are very much like that! The USMC also indoctrinates (as do the other services) in the history, scared writings and culture of the branch of service.

I can't believe I'm defending Princess Erin, but I'm pretty sure I heard Lawson say that Erin has already paid him back.

My bad. Somehow, I missed that, especially after reading the minutae of Crown College.

I imagine the CC was for official EMT training; I think it's been said that both Zack and Michael-a are certified. I wonder how their certification differs from what the Duggars have, given all they've done is "attend" College Minus-.

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to attend one of these "colleges" just to see how quickly I'd get expelled. I suspect the thing that would do me in would be the ridiculous waking up times. WTF is up with that? Last time I checked, adults are in charge of their own alarm clocks. :shock:

I give myself 6 hours before they decide to expel me. Those rules are so bogus, I would end up breaking most of them the second I would get on campus.

You should read the rules they have for PCC; just as crazy.

Think of an extremely conservative Christian College like it was the military. Then it begins to be doable. The USMC tells you when to get up, when to report, what to do, what to wear and no one sees anything wrong with that--or if they do they don't join. These colleges are very much like that! The USMC also indoctrinates (as do the other services) in the history, scared writings and culture of the branch of service.

That's what I was thinking, except it actually makes sense to have those rules when you're preparing for the military. I mean, my mom and dad (and I, for that matter) live in the real world, and they managed to be well-adjusted without college wake-up calls! :lol:

I think I could actually abide by most of the rules for a while, even at PCC, except I'd need unrestricted access to the Internet, which I know would be an issue.

I can see the comparison between the ultra-strict religious schools and the military schools; however, in the military schools, they're preparing students to function in a highly regimented world where most (all) of their decisions will be made by others. Also, it's a well-known fact that adjusting to civilian life can be quite challenging for folks who leave the military.

With the religious schools, they're not preparing students to function in the real world. Unless every single male graduate goes to to be a well-paid pastor or a well-paid job "in the ministry" (and there aren't many of those), they're going to have to work a regular, secular job where they will have to interact normally with women. The women who go to those schools are going to have to interact with others as well - possibly getting secular jobs themselves, running their own households, etc etc. I just don't see how these ultra-religious colleges are preparing students for anything other than massive confusion and disorientation when they leave school.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I don't have a good reason for not posting before now; I just never felt like I had anything more to add.

Regarding Crown College. If that's the only option the Bates give their children, I'd rather see them there than stuck at the SOTDRT. However, like one poster said, Roane State CC is a viable, local option. I live in the same area as the Bates and have many friends who have attended RSCC prior to continuing to 4-year universities. I think (don't quote me) that RSCC has an EMT program. I know nearby Walters State CC does. I have friends who are graduates. Perhaps this is where the Bates children who have obtained their certification studied?

There's also Pellissippi State. Their main campus is within 30 minutes of the Bates and they also offer online classes. There are even multiple, accredited Christian colleges nearby. Tennessee Wesleyan, Maryville College, etc. These might be too liberal for the Bates family though.

It makes me ill that Gil and Kelly both have degrees, but College Plus and unaccredited "colleges" are as high as they are willing to let their children aim, especially when there are so many options available.

Archived