IGNORED

Jacksons Handwriting

MandyLaLa

2014-11-21-11-16-09_zpsvgitv6ln.png

Saw this on my ig this am. I'm not terribly familiar with handwriting milestones and what it should look like at what age. So pleas correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this look more like a 5yr olds handwriting than a 10 yr old?

*Totally not surprised about this, sadly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. It's hard to say since it's a note that could have been written quickly. If that's his best, though, it needs some work. You have incomplete letters and the capital H that should be lower-case. My daughter is right in between Jackson and Hannie in age so I've seen lots of things at school with various children's handwriting at that age to compare, and I'd put that at an average to below-average 1st grader.

I would not be surprised to learn that the Duggars have atrocious handwriting.

I will say tho, my public schooled son, now 16 and in high school, also has atrocious handwriting so I can't cast too much stone at the Duggars.

Also, it really seems to me that handwriting is not valued much as a skill anymore. I've heard of many school districts that no longer teach cursive. Ours does not, my kids only know it because I thought they should still learn to at least read some of it.

i'll freely admit i don't have the neatest handwriting, but mine looked better than that at 10. when i was homeschooling, my mother worked on handwriting extensively with me, teaching me both regular and cursive. i agree, it looks a bit younger...maybe 5-7? sotdrt at its finest.

i'll freely admit i don't have the neatest handwriting, but mine looked better than that at 10. when i was homeschooling, my mother worked on handwriting extensively with me, teaching me both regular and cursive. i agree, it looks a bit younger...maybe 5-7? sotdrt at its finest.

It could have been written when he was 5-7 and she only found it recently.

2014-11-21-11-16-09_zpsvgitv6ln.png

Saw this on my ig this am. I'm not terribly familiar with handwriting milestones and what it should look like at what age. So pleas correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this look more like a 5yr olds handwriting than a 10 yr old?

*Totally not surprised about this, sadly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they do a lot of their work on the computer, don't they? He may just not get much practice. I'd expect a 10 yo's writing to be better, but then again my own 10 yo tends to write in block letters (nicely formed, but still -- block letters! gah). I almost never write anymore, though, so I try not to make a big deal of it and just encourage more practice.

FWIW, my husband also has abysmal writing, and I don't mean cursive but printing. :shock:

As stated, not sure about the age it was written, but that is just the sweetest note. There is nothing like brother/sister love. I hope that Hannie and Jackson can continue to be best friends while growing up and not be separated by the Boob's and Mullet's ridiculous gender rules.

It could have been written when he was 5-7 and she only found it recently.

i really hope so. sad that we can't tell if it's recent or not due to the quality (or rather, lack thereof) that we know about the duggars' schooling :pull-hair:

As stated, not sure about the age it was written, but that is just the sweetest note. There is nothing like brother/sister love. I hope that Hannie and Jackson can continue to be best friends while growing up and not be separated by the Boob's and Mullet's ridiculous gender rules.

You are very right, that is the most important thing, it is a sweet loving tribute.

Plus, he has formed complete sentences with punctuation.

I hope it's old. I too have messy handwriting, but by 10 I knew about capitalization and punctuation.

The computers are a good point, I'll admit I have a terrible signature because the most "practice" I get writing it is on the electronic signature pads so I just don't care. And I wouldn't be surprised if penmanship goes by the wayside.

That looks like my 6 yo's handwriting. My 9 yo writes almost as well as my husband and I. Either it's an old note or he is pretty behind in his writing skills for a 10 yo.

My 12 year old son's handwriting is much worse. If it's a recent one, Jackson may have undiagnosed fine motor control problems (my son's handwriting is a symptom of that. Doesn't help that he's also a lefty). I've tried everything to help my son and his handwriting; even OT didn't do much, although it did help with other stuff. Thank goodness we're moving into a more typed societ, because not only does my son really struggle with writing (it's tiring to him to handwrite, but he's fine with typing), everyone struggles to read it. :lol:

I hope it's old. I too have messy handwriting, but by 10 I knew about capitalization and punctuation.

The computers are a good point, I'll admit I have a terrible signature because the most "practice" I get writing it is on the electronic signature pads so I just don't care. And I wouldn't be surprised if penmanship goes by the wayside.

The district where my dad taught had a pilot program for a few years where they gave all 4th-6th grade students their own laptops. When my dad got the first class of 7th graders that had gone through the program, he was shocked at how bad their handwriting skills were compared to the previous class, not to mention their grammar and spelling.

Yeah, I have tremors in my arms in my hands. So I can't really comment, but I do wonder when it was written, Jessa stated she found it. Doesn't really give a time frame.

2 of my kids have horrible handwriting, especially my middle one. Both worked with tutors when they were small...handwriting never did improve. My husband also had terrible handwriting. All are perfectly intelligent people who simply have bad handwriting. Jackson looks like a leftie to me? 2 of my 3 are left handed, 1 ambidextrous. I am left handed but started out in catholic schools and was forced to switch by nuns who believed at the time left handedness meant "backwards". I write with my right hand and have pretty handwriting but can also write with the left ( not as nice) and do most other tasks with my left hand or I switch off. Schools around here only touch on cursive writing nowadays, the push is computers. I do not think it means much that his handwriting doesn't look age appropriate, it is perfectly readable and like others said maybe he wrote it when he was younger. If not, well...it is readable.

My sons (13 and 10) both have dreadful handwriting. My 10 year old can write neatly in cursive when he's doing his handwriting homework, but it looks like a 5 year old did it the rest of the time. My 13 year old can't even pull it out neatly when he's trying. They're both in the gifted program, go figure....

All of my husband's biological siblings have dysgraphia and their handwriting as adults is similar to Jackson's after many, many years of OT to even get that far. However it wouldn't surprise me if the Duggars didn't even know what dysgraphia is little less get OT for any children with fine motor issues.

In the end though I'm jumping on the hoping it's old. It looks like he started spelling her name with a Ja instead of Jo. Plus the random capitals. It really looks like a young child wrote it. Perhaps Jessa found it while sifting through old papers looking for her own mementos.

Who knows?

My handwriting is shocking and always has been.

My daughter is the same age as Jackson and her writing is similarly awful unless she's being marked for it. She doesn't always capitalise or punctuate properly either. It's not that she can't, just that she can't be bothered.

You are very right, that is the most important thing, it is a sweet loving tribute.

Plus, he has formed complete sentences with punctuation.

:lol:

I'm hoping their friendship lasts to their teenage years and they run away on Hannie's 18th Birthday and start filming 'breaking duggar'.

His handwriting isnt too bad. My 10 year old daughter's is better. My son on the other hand is 8 but has terrible handwriting. I think it depends on the kid although I can't imagine SOTDRT spends a lot of time developing penmanship skills.

I'm hoping their friendship lasts to their teenage years and they run away on Hannie's 18th Birthday and start filming 'breaking duggar'.

^^That was one of the funniest things I've seen all day. Thank you for making me smile, FreeHannie. ;)

My sister's handwriting is worse, & she's in her 50's. :: shrugs ::

Archived