IGNORED

Jacksons Handwriting

MandyLaLa

This doesn't send up any red flags for me. Sure, there are some things I might mark down if this was an assigned piece but they are informal little notes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this note is recent, it does raise red flags for me. IMHO it's not about "pretty" handwriting. I strongly believe that not everyone is cut out for nice handwriting. But I do feel very strongly that a ten y/o should know better than to put a capital letter in the middle of a word. And his penmanship just overall looks VERY child-like, not advanced at all. More like first grade. Like he has to actively think about what every letter looks like. But, we don't know if the note is current or not. Could easily be three or four years old. I do like the message!

It's better than mine and I'm an adult. I was always jealous of those that had beautiful handwriting come so naturally. I tried and tried and mine always looked horrendous. I can't draw to save my life either.

I thought we once saw some drawings from a howler that were deemed babyish compared to the age level. Can't remember which one.

Got to love Catholic school. My 8 and 11 year old write beautifully - both print and cursive. They still teach handwriting and practice up until 5th grade. Plus, each child gets a laptop for other classes.

Got to love Catholic school. My 8 and 11 year old write beautifully - both print and cursive. They still teach handwriting and practice up until 5th grade. Plus, each child gets a laptop for other classes.

My sotdrt education included penmanship, too. Even though it was frustrating and felt like a waste of time, i'm glad, because it turned into a love of calligraphy - maybe one of these days it'll be a skill for formal invites. Easy way to make some $ perhaps, for your kids. :D

I am a substitute teacher and I've seen writing that is just as a bad at the middle and high school levels and I work in MD which is one of the better states for education.

Honestly, I wrote like that when I was ten unless it was for school. I knew capital letters didn't to in the middle of words, but quite honestly, there were some lower case letters I just didn't LIKE. So in informal writing, I would write capital Gs, and especially Ds and Bs because lower case those get confusing really fast.

Heck, even as an adult I do not use a lower case q. Unless I'm typing. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that I was a Spanish major in college...

But we type most formal essays on computers so not a huge deal.

If this was formal writing it would raise flags, but it's not, so meh.

Also, I know I'm I the minority but I'm THRILLED to see cursive going the way of the dodo bird. That stuff was TORTURE in school and the minute they stopped requiring it (about 5th grade or so, I think.) I stopped usin it.

Cursive should be an elective, but I'm glad students will no longer be tortured with that awful way of writing that doesn't make any sense and just takes longer than print (for me and lot of others I knew.)

Maybe they were just old "letters" that were stored from like maybe when they were younger and had bad handwriting? :think:

I also went to Catholic school as a child, and we did have to spend several years learning cursive. I'm glad I learned it because I can take notes with it far more quickly than I could print, but I also have naturally messy handwriting and have to struggle to make pretty letters. My son is the exact same way.

Personally, I'd love to have handwriting like Ben Seewald's.

About half my family has really, really nice handwriting.

The other half is barely, barely legible ( and in some cases " barely" is being very nice) . Some of them, adults in good jobs, have handwriting that makes that note look like it was penned by a professional calligraphy artist :lol: . All perfectly intelligent people, some of whom even have paperwork heavy careers - and excel at them.

The talk about computers though makes me really wonder if they would have even reached the " barely" legible mark if they went through school now. Or if it even matter anymore? They are all helped immeasurably by computers - not just for how their writing looks, but also for spelling. It's kind of an interesting question, to me.

From what I've seen, good handwriting isn't emphasized all that much anymore in my son's schooling. The only thing they ask when the kids turn in the in-class writing assignments is that it be legible enough to read, which is kind of sad. :(

I personally wouldn't be able to make it through my college classes without cursive. I consider it a blessing. My notes look like chicken scratch when I take them, but in an hour and fifteen minute class, I can take 5 pages of notes that I can (barely) read compared to the one page that my 18-year-old neighbor takes that is neatly printed.

(I realize I might be in the minority here, I admire the many people who can print well and quickly - I just can't do it without awful hand cramps!) :lol:

I'm also an adult who has had barely legible handwriting, in fact I got low grades for handwriting in elementary school, especially when we started to use cursive, and had to use only cursive from about the 3rd grade onward. In the end, I'm still glad I learned cursive because it helped me in college when it came to taking notes as I was able to keep up with the lecture faster than I would have without it. Others might not have been able to read my notes, but I could which was important.

In their 20's my ex still couldn't write well.

I'm thinking it's old handwriting of Jackson's, surely if he was writing like that at 10 his parents would DO something about it... although we are talking about the Duggars.

However we can't base their lives on their handwriting, the ex is now a savvy property developer. So you never know!

I'm also an adult who has had barely legible handwriting, in fact I got low grades for handwriting in elementary school, especially when we started to use cursive, and had to use only cursive from about the 3rd grade onward. In the end, I'm still glad I learned cursive because it helped me in college when it came to taking notes as I was able to keep up with the lecture faster than I would have without it. Others might not have been able to read my notes, but I could which was important.

I watched a special about the current state of higher education on CNN the other day ( it's called Ivory Tower - highly recommend it) ....and I noticed that virtually all of the students in the University courses were taking notes on their laptops or tablets. I'm wondering if in 20 years young kids will just learn basic block letter printing for the very rare incidences when there are no electronics available, but being able to use a pen and paper will be largely obsolete.

I watched a special about the current state of higher education on CNN the other day ( it's called Ivory Tower - highly recommend it) ....and I noticed that virtually all of the students in the University courses were taking notes on their laptops or tablets. I'm wondering if in 20 years young kids will just learn basic block letter printing for the very rare incidences when there are no electronics available, but being able to use a pen and paper will be largely obsolete.

I also am thankful for writing cursive when taking notes for college classes BUT.. a very very BIG BUT...

Two years ago I was taking grad classes in accounting. One of my professors banned laptops and refused to allow students to take notes on anything but paper. The clicking drives him bananas.

Wow. The reaction was huge. Students were PISSED. Seems they are already very heavily dependent on using laptops to take notes. Or be on the internetz. Whichever.

I also am thankful for writing cursive when taking notes for college classes BUT.. a very very BIG BUT...

Two years ago I was taking grad classes in accounting. One of my professors banned laptops and refused to allow students to take notes on anything but paper. The clicking drives him bananas.

Wow. The reaction was huge. Students were PISSED. Seems they are already very heavily dependent on using laptops to take notes. Or be on the internetz. Whichever.

Interesting. I hadn't thought about the clicking. OMG, the clicking in one of those huge seminar courses with hundreds of students? :shock: I would lose my mind.

I had horrible handwriting until I had to teach Preschool. Now I make the most beautiful lower case e's know to mankind....

They are sweet notes... but why does Jessa have them? You would think they'd be stashed in Hanne's memory box.

2014-11-21-11-16-09_zpsvgitv6ln.png

Saw this on my ig this am. I'm not terribly familiar with handwriting milestones and what it should look like at what age. So pleas correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this look more like a 5yr olds handwriting than a 10 yr old?

*Totally not surprised about this, sadly.

My 17 year old's handwriting looks like a 5 year old's. There was very little time spent on handwriting in our public school.

i really hope so. sad that we can't tell if it's recent or not due to the quality (or rather, lack thereof) that we know about the duggars' schooling :pull-hair:

I think it is recent and this is his 10-year-old handwriting. Here's why: the "I love you" on the left looks squiggly like it was written in a rush, and small children's writing is usually pretty careful and slow (even though it's shaky) since they're still learning. The curves of the letters are smooth, indicating they were written by an older child with better fine motor control. He also crossed out his spelling mistakes twice, and young children will just leave theirs, usually.

That being said, it's still a really sweet note and he's always struck me as a really kind-hearted kid!

All 3 of my sons of writing age have fine motor issues. I guess it's likely the 4th will have issues too. I hate to say Jackson's writing is better than all of them, even the 13 year old. I've been getting them to write more and they have improved somewhat, but dh has terrible writing too, so I doubt they'll ever have "good" handwriting.

Was your professor older? I've noticed in general that whenever I get a professor who is 55+, they tend to discourage the use of electronics in class, even when students depend on them for note-taking. I had a history professor who was around 60 (he told us his age) who refused to let any student use a laptop for notes. He was convinced that we would all play games on our computers instead of paying attention to his lectures. I was fine because I had my cursive, but a number of my fellow classmates were also outraged. When roughly half the class complained to him and promised they would type lecture notes the whole time, he finally relented.

There is software now too that will record and transcribe a lecture for you, then you have the entire thing. I'd rather do that than rely on my notes LOL. (no matter if they are written or typed out. (I would not want it tape recorded either)

Was your professor older? I've noticed in general that whenever I get a professor who is 55+, they tend to discourage the use of electronics in class, even when students depend on them for note-taking. I had a history professor who was around 60 (he told us his age) who refused to let any student use a laptop for notes. He was convinced that we would all play games on our computers instead of paying attention to his lectures. I was fine because I had my cursive, but a number of my fellow classmates were also outraged. When roughly half the class complained to him and promised they would type lecture notes the whole time, he finally relented.

Yes, I'd say he's 60-65. He also had a 3B rule - no exposed boobs, butts or bellies. This was a small class in a small classroom, I can see where if he wasn't used to it, the clicking would make him crazy.

It's probably not so much an issue for younger professors/lecturers/teachers.

• 2 months later...
If this note is recent, it does raise red flags for me. IMHO it's not about "pretty" handwriting. I strongly believe that not everyone is cut out for nice handwriting. But I do feel very strongly that a ten y/o should know better than to put a capital letter in the middle of a word. And his penmanship just overall looks VERY child-like, not advanced at all. More like first grade. Like he has to actively think about what every letter looks like. But, we don't know if the note is current or not. Could easily be three or four years old. I do like the message!

Yes, that it. The reason that would send up red flags for a ten year old is how unpractised it looks rather that how messy it is.

My boyfriend and I both have terrible handwriting, but it is fluent, fast, and doesn't look like we have to think about how letters are formed. And that's neater than something like typical "doctors handwriting", but looks so stilted, and you can see that it wasn't done fast.

I do know one adult who has handwriting like that, my sister, and that's definitely a developmental disability issue resulting from some dyslexia/fine motor control issues.

So, if he still writes like that at 10, something is up.

Archived