IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

Don't they ever eat fresh veggies?

It doesn't seem like it. Every recipe on their website that calls for vegetables of some kind has the vegetables being mutilated to the point that all their nutritional benefits must be gone.

Like this monstrosity http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/dug ... ese%20Soup

I suppose this recipe http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/dug ... en%20Beans could be worse, but honestly why add all that sauteeing and liquid amino shit? Plain boiled green beans are much easier to make and are delicious.

And this http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/dug ... ed%20Salad is not a salad. Honestly, it's things like this that make me realize that the "Seven Layer Salad" described in How I Met Your Mother complete with gummy bears and potato chips probably isn't as much of a joke as it seems to me.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I went and looked up the layered salad, and this at the bottom of the recipe made me laugh:

NOTE: ™ = Trademark. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Results may vary. All recipes are valid for non-commercial use otherwise written permission must be obtained from the The Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar Family. © Copyright 2011

1. Results may vary, WTF does that mean, there are no results?

2. Do the Duggars think they invented this salad. Pick up any church cookbook from the midwest and your going to find a version of this salad. They probably got this recipe from a cookbook, and just swapped turkey bacon from real bacon. What a bunch of twits.

3. What reputable restaurant would want to make their recipes?

My aunt made it once for a family party where everyone brought something. Only, it was nothing like the cream soup goop most recipes make.

She used a lot of spices and seasonings with the ground beef, several vegetables (onions, green peppers, chopped broccoli, mushrooms) and made a basic cheese sauce to pour over it, then topped it with the tater tots.

It was actually really good. But, aside from the tater tots themselves, it consisted of some pretty basic, generally healthy ingredients - or at least not soup in a can ingredients.

I tried making it once, using cream of chicken and cream of celery soup (no mushroom fan here) and adding leftover peas and carrots. It was meh and the tots were too mushy. I doubt I'll make it again.

I made some the other day. There are no tater tots where I live so I used crumbled hash brown patties. It was ok, a welcome variation from the usual shepherds pie, but I won't make it again. I have chronic migraines so all that sodium and preservatives are a bad idea.

There are no tater tots in Montreal? I want to move there. How will... oh the humanity!

I'm so tempted to make a vegetarian version of tater tot casserole but I'm not sure if I want to make the effort.

There are no tater tots in Montreal? I want to move there. How will... oh the humanity!

I'm so tempted to make a vegetarian version of tater tot casserole but I'm not sure if I want to make the effort.

There are NO Tater Tots in Europe (well, not France anyway). NO Velveeta thingy pseudo-cheese either. And I had to Google what it was because I'd never heard of it until Anna introduced us to the sacred Chicken-etti. I came accross this picture (that's Smuggar sitting in the Velveeta, right? :D ) and have made my final judgement: Velveeta CANNOT be cheese. I refuse to believe so.

velveeta-man.jpg

Basically, I'm doomed. I shall never ever taste the Sodium Wonders of Fundie Cuisine. Sigh. Somebody play a tiny violin for me, please. :violin:

Tater tots are potato gems here. If the U.S. ones are at all similar, they're actually a bit GREASY. (Which is not to say I don't like them :P haven't had them for years, though, so perhaps my tastes have changed)

There are NO Tater Tots in Europe (well, not France anyway). NO Velveeta thingy pseudo-cheese either. And I had to Google what it was because I'd never heard of it until Anna introduced us to the sacred Chicken-etti. I came accross this picture (that's Smuggar sitting in the Velveeta, right? :D ) and have made my final judgement: Velveeta CANNOT be cheese. I refuse to believe so.

Basically, I'm doomed. I shall never ever taste the Sodium Wonders of Fundie Cuisine. Sigh. Somebody play a tiny violin for me, please. :violin:

Whenever I visit my Canadian expat friends in Europe I always have to bring over Kraft Dinner and all sorts of other random foodstuffs. I lived in a dorm in Italy with other Canadians and they complained about the lack of things like french fries, chicken fingers and so on. Dude, it's Italy. You can eat that sodium laced stuff when you get home. You're eating healthier than you are back home!

I should bring all the materials for fundie food goodness and ship them around to Europeans so they can too experience the wonders of foods fundies like.

Oh, I have to say that I seriously doubt that the Duggar's use ground TURKEY in any of their recipes like they promote, I bet they mostly eat red meats.

Yeah I looked through all their recipes yesterday and noticed they always call for ground turkey. Ha!

Tater tots are fatastic, but totally against my Low-Gi diet. So, to answer your original question...salty...and ketchupy...if I had my way.

What? Why? Ugh! I'd like to say it's totally against vegetarian diet, but I know you can make an alternative. Yikes!

As for how you would deal in Mtl, it's called "Yves" meatless meat. Comes in various forms, including, chicken strips!

What? Why? Ugh! I'd like to say it's totally against vegetarian diet, but I know you can make an alternative. Yikes!

As for how you would deal in Mtl, it's called "Yves" meatless meat. Comes in various forms, including, chicken strips!

I eat Yves all the time. :) Well not every day due to the sodium content but that and the Veggie Patch products. I currently have 'veggie sliced turkey' in my fridge. I could probably use tofu in some sort of way as well. Heck, I could probably figure out a way to make it more healthy. But will I try? Nah.

I was talking about the missing Tater Tots part in Montreal. ;) Might just have to make the drive two hours west to Ottawa if I move to Montreal. Although it's not the biggest loss in the world. Now take away my Kraft peanut butter and I will not be a happy camper.

This thread inspired me to make TTC tonight! I am using the Duggar's recipe, but I'm using all organic ingredients. I even found organic tater tots at Meijer! I know, I know...that doesn't make it healthy by any means, but I tend to worry more about chemicals in my food than fat/sodium. It's probably actually a decent meal for me, because I'm supposed to consume extra sodium for my low blood pressure, plus I could stand to gain a couple pounds. I'm excited to see how this version turns out!

A can of Rotel spicy tomatos, half a block of velveeta, ground beef, all mixed and melted.....surrounded by tortilla chips. Something for a football afternoon.

My kids wouldn't eat TTC. They want their tater tots crispy and then covered with ketchup.

We used to make something similar to this for breakfast during snowboarding trips in Canada. We put cooked hashbrowns on the bottom, cooked sausage, scrambled eggs and onions next and put country gravy and cheese on top. It went into the oven for 20 or so minutes until it was hot and the cheese was melted. It was EXTREMELY heavy, but we could eat some in the morning and bring a tupperware dish in our backpack for lunch, so we didn't have to waste precious slope time on coming back to the condo to eat. And it was actually really tasty, the way that we made it.

Michelle's version doesn't sound like something I'd want to cook anytime soon. I can't figure out why there needs to be that much canned soup and evaporated milk, as it's only going to make everything soggy and mushy. If they just made a few substitutions, it'd be a decent wintertime dish, but the overkill on evaporated, condensed crap ruins the whole thing.

What exactly does the evaporated milk do for the food anyway? I never understand their obsession with evaporated milk.

No tater tots in Montreal? Doesn't McCain's make some similar product?

I'll never have TTC- the seasoning on tater tots is deadly to my onion and garlic sensitive husband and kids.

All this talk of Montreal has me craving poutine and St. Hubert BBQ Chicken.

The college I'm going to this fall sent a letter to my parents asking them to sumbit a favorite home recipe for a cookbook that the college publishes (What's Cooking on Campus... Recipes from home).

What shall I submit, Chickenetti or TTC?? :lol:

i think you should make a bastardized abomination and call it tater-tot-chickenetti. forget the pasta and pour the soupy goop over tatertots.

Archived