IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

Specifically, the exact recipe in the Duggar's book. My mom saw it lying around, and was flipping through it and decided she wanted to try the recipe. Cut in half because we're not 16-20 people, but otherwise the same. Is it icky? Delicious? I've never had anything made with that many cans of stuff...and I can't tell if i'd like it. Shall I say I'm not hungry and skip dinner, or look forward to it?

It did make me very happy that when she was looking through the books she said their lifestyle sounded frightening and she was surprised they were still alive with all the sodium they seem to consume :D I think i've got her converted to my fundie obsession, though i'm not one to try recipes.

Here's something funny...She said that for an authentic Duggar experience my 13 year old sister should really make the casserole, but she'll settle for making it since it was her idea and she didn't have enough kids for effective child labour :D

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never tasted it, but it always looked gross on the specials IMO, and I love tator tots. Let us know what you and your family thought about it. I am curious. Good for your mom for seeing thru the Duggar BS. So many can't or won't.

I would eat it once, but then I have never had "fundie food" so it would be like experiencing a new culture!

I've never had fundie food either, so it is kinda exciting:) It does smell better than I thought it would. Though all the cream of whatever soup looks kind of gross. Apparently it's for tommorow's dinner so i'll have to wait to try it.

I grew up in the Midwest, so I've eaten my fair share of casseroles, TTC included. I don't think the Duggar's version was the same as my Mom's as I don't remember hers having cream of chicken or evaporated milk. IIRC, hers was browned hamburger, mushrooms mixed with cream of mushroom soup (sometimes she would put in green beans or peas). That was put in a casserole dish with tator tots on top. It tasted fine, it wasn't my favorite thing in the world, but I didn't dislike it either. Personally though, I would just rather have a hamburger with the tator tots on the side. In the end, it takes about the same amount of time to make.

I liked it - but I have a weakness for fatty fried products - particularly when pms'ing so if you like fresh, non fatty foods - you probably won't like it but if you are craving salt and fat - bring on the second helping

Sodium...I guess. I think I would try it if it were not for the cream(I have weird eating habits) plus I have no idea who to make it from my friends for some reason do not like tots and my parents well I would like for them to eat healthier.

I made some the other day. There are no tater tots where I live so I used crumbled hash brown patties. It was ok, a welcome variation from the usual shepherds pie, but I won't make it again. I have chronic migraines so all that sodium and preservatives are a bad idea.

I ate TTC at a dinner my husband and I were invited to while still dating. It was served with great apologies from the hostess who kept saying she didn't know how to cook anything else; it didn't bother me any because she and her husband were good, fun people. She made it with the mushroom soup like twin2's mom and I remember it as being blah boring and mushy. I think the same texture could be achieved by crushing up tons of crackers into the soup or making shit on a shingle with ground beef and mashed potatoes instead of toast.

I grew up in the Midwest, so I've eaten my fair share of casseroles, TTC included. I don't think the Duggar's version was the same as my Mom's as I don't remember hers having cream of chicken or evaporated milk. IIRC, hers was browned hamburger, mushrooms mixed with cream of mushroom soup (sometimes she would put in green beans or peas). That was put in a casserole dish with tator tots on top. It tasted fine, it wasn't my favorite thing in the world, but I didn't dislike it either. Personally though, I would just rather have a hamburger with the tator tots on the side. In the end, it takes about the same amount of time to make.

I've had your mom's kind before but never Michelle's as it sounds to heavy for me to eat. Blah.

I will take a grilled patty with a side of baked tots though.

Oh, I have to say that I seriously doubt that the Duggar's use ground TURKEY in any of their recipes like they promote, I bet they mostly eat red meats.

I discovered that we do have something resembling tater tots here in Australia and have been kind of tempted a couple of times, but a bit scared. There's only two of us at home so if we didn't like it, there would be a tonne of wastage.

I have made the Pioneer Woman's version of chickenetti (found here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chicken_spaghet/ ) which I found to be less tasty and satisfying than I thought. The canned soup really does make things quite salty!

I also made Jamie Oliver's macaroni & cauliflower cheese the other night, which is a "from scratch" recipe, using creme fraiche, cheddar and parmesan, which was nice but a bit much. I think I'm losing my taste for great big, fatty casseroles as I get older!

But then, I do have a secret love of those horrible McDonalds hash browns, so maybe it could work... Someone want to make one and just give me a small serve? :think:

I discovered that we do have something resembling tater tots here in Australia and have been kind of tempted a couple of times, but a bit scared. There's only two of us at home so if we didn't like it, there would be a tonne of wastage.

I have made the Pioneer Woman's version of chickenetti (found here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chicken_spaghet/ ) which I found to be less tasty and satisfying than I thought. The canned soup really does make things quite salty!

I also made Jamie Oliver's macaroni & cauliflower cheese the other night, which is a "from scratch" recipe, using creme fraiche, cheddar and parmesan, which was nice but a bit much. I think I'm losing my taste for great big, fatty casseroles as I get older!

But then, I do have a secret love of those horrible McDonalds hash browns, so maybe it could work... Someone want to make one and just give me a small serve? :think:

I have leftover hashbrown from dinner tonight! My husband made a giant one with cheddar cheese melted on it, steak with mushrooms and salad while I sat on my ass on the computer. :)

It was delicious! I loved it and had second helpings:) However, it even felt fattening, so it's definately a sometimes food. I'm taking leftovers to work tommorow for lunch:D We had salad as a side dish, so I doubt the duggars do that. My parents and sisters all loved it too. Though next time we will be adding some vegetables so it doesn't feel quite as fattening.

I followed the Duggars' recipe. It was very sickly, especially with the canned cream of chicken soup. And the lack of veggies and seasonings. It almost felt like it's clogging your heart as you eat it.

I love tater tots so I make it occasionally. But these days I substitute the cream of chicken with homemade white sauce and add frozen veggies and oregano.

I made my own version with ground beef, cream of mushroom, and cheese. It was soggy and yucky (but that's probably because the tots were at the bottom). Then luckylassie lost her common sense and left it out overnight. The stench was horrible!

I used to make it when I was first married. DH loved it. Mine was very simple: browned ground beef and diced onion mixed with an envelope of French's onion soup mix. Then you mix all that with a can of cream of mushroom soup and turn it into a greased casserole dish, cover with tater tots and bake. when I think now about all the sodium I consumed eating a serving of that it makes me nausesous, to say nothing of the fat. Ick.

I liked it yesterday...but tater tot casserole the next day is kinda disgusting:) This is a once a year kind of thing for sure. A nice once a year thing, but once a year nonetheless. It made me kind of nauseous after a few bites today.

I finally got those lonely tater tots into a casserole. I spread a pound of ground beef on the bottom, added a can of corn, and then added the soup coated taters. It was okay but really sodium packed. It is definitely not diet food. On top of that I almost scorched it from baking it too long.

Speaking of TTC, has anyone ever tried making Anna's chicken-etti recipe?? I can't imagine what a whole block of Velveeta and all that cheddar tastes like when you swallow it.

I just looked up the Chicken-etti recipe to remind me of the full scope of its grossness. The Duggars recommend it be served with cheese biscuits. How much fat/refined carbs can you pack into a meal? :vomit:

chickenetti= eeeewwww. I think it would be banned from our house.

TTC= we have our own recipe/version of it. It's actually fairly yummy and great for a time where you don't have a lot of time to throw something together. We use baked beans for the bottom, then mix it up with sliced hot dogs, and add the tots on top, and cheese is optional (I add chili powder and sometimes hot sauce for spice). Myself, I hate hot dogs due to an unfortunate event in my childhood, and won't eat the hot dog portion of it, but without the hot dogs, it still is pretty yummy though I feel weird eating that combo sometimes, LOL.

I do prefer burgers with a side of tots. That's how hubby and I used to eat our burgers. Now we either have fries or homemade potato wedges :)

I'm sorry for the imagery, but every time I see the abbreviation "TTC" my first thought is "trying to conceive." Not sure I want to know about recipes for that, especially for the Duggars.

The Duggars' recipes for tater tot casserole and chicken-etti don't appeal to me at all. Don't they ever eat fresh veggies?

Archived