IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread about making babies not casseroles. :(

I can't bring myself to do the tater tot casserole. I just can't do all those canned vegetables. =x I suppose I could substitute the canned ones with actual fresh veggies but it seems kind of wrong to me to put fresh produce in a casserole with tater tots.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, I thought this was going to be a thread about making babies not casseroles. :(

I can't bring myself to do the tater tot casserole. I just can't do all those canned vegetables. =x I suppose I could substitute the canned ones with actual fresh veggies but it seems kind of wrong to me to put fresh produce in a casserole with tater tots.

I agree! But I did it for, you know, scientific purposes! :)

Sorry if that came across wrong. I mean to really ask, in case you have a different perspective than what I have personally experienced. And I admitted my queasiness about the word "conviction" is largely based on my personal experience, both with my own pride and the crazy world I used to live in.

Not to pick on you JesusFightClub...

But I have an aversion to the word "conviction".... largely because I used to use it all the time. "I don't listen to rock music because I have a conviction." blah blah. In my high religious days. And it makes me cringe now.

What does a "conviction" mean to you? I don't care if you don't like it or don't wish to eat it or even if you think you have a religious reason not to eat it.

Just in my former ATI ultra conservative circles (way beyond Fundy, fundies were "liberal" to us - eeek). The word was thrown around for everything from wearing skirts, headcoverings, eating certain foods and avoiding others, wearing your hair up or down short or long...etc And was almost always accompanied by a judgemental attitude... I'm better somehow because I have this holy conviction (which really was a "standard". ATI liked to use that word for external conformation to religious things, and often the words conviction and standard were muddled). For example: "I have a conviction not to wear men's clothing, therefore I only wear frumpers." Really it was nothing but a choice based on... not much, mostly pride, sometimes true desire to do what they thought God wanted... but mostly pride, or social pressure to conform. I once had a so called "conviction" against pants... because well it was taught in my ATI church that women wearing pants were an abomination. So of course I was "convicted" to not wear pants.

At the best I can truly believe that some people are truly convicted by God and no one else to do certain things.

More often than not I see it as social and prideful thing. I also see "standards" for lack of a better term as a way people carry out their "convictions" or that it should be. So one might have a conviction to dress modestly and for them that means dresses. I don't really care if that's what they want to do. I also believe in personal modesty... however I'd be considered scandalous for what I wear now.

A conviction to me, would mean - it would be going against my conscience to do something (or not do something). A "standard" (since I have no other idea what the heck to call it) would be how I might choose to abide by my conscience.

And then there are preferences. One might prefer skirts, or prefer to not eat pork, or prefer to not listen to certain styles of music. But please please please can these not be "standards" or worse "convictions". Is God really going to count it against you if you do this or that? I believe He really allows a lot of personal preference. And it's not a sin to choose one over the other as long as you abide by the conscience that God gave you.

Hello, Annon, and apologies! I was definitely trying not to make out I was better than anyone else (that is a laugh, I am far worse). Also, I am an atheist. So I do not think God is involved in this.

I used to work for a slaughterhouse. That is why I do not eat pork. I called it a conviction because I decided (became convicted) based on my knowledge of what went on, I can no longer eat pork.

But if it triggers or sounds annoying to people, I will use a different word. Would that be helpful?

No thanks for explaining - and not being offended. Definitely a different perspective than what I grew up with so thanks again for contributing.

Here's my scratch version for the poster who was curious.

Saute some ground beef with chopped onions; drain well--you could even rinse in a sieve--and season generously with salt and white pepper. Set aside. This step can be done a day or two ahead, no need to reheat.

On the day you plan to serve the casserole, preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 9x13 pan. Grate 3 cups cheese; I used Cheddar, but I bet it would be tasty with a Cheddar-jack blend or even pepperjack (omit the white pepper and thyme if you use pepperjack). Use 2 cups of this to make some cheese sauce (basic recipe in any general cookbook; you will need butter, flour, and milk). Season the cheese sauce with a generous pinch of thyme and set aside just while you prepare the potatoes--you don't want it to set up.

Scrub, trim, and peel any green skin from 6 medium potatoes. Use the thin-slicer side of a box grater, or a mandoline if you have one, to slice the potatoes as thinly as possible. Put half of the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole, cover with the meat mixture, put on the other half of the potatoes, and pour the cheese sauce evenly over them. Cover with foil and bake at least half an hour, until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the potatoes are done. Take off the foil and sprinkle the last cup of cheese evenly over the top. Put back into the oven just until the cheese topping is nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

You might try this with ground turkey or with diced hot dogs or ham (do not add any salt). It could even be stuffed with broccoli instead of meat and onions. Adjust the seasoning to suit the type of filling.

I went to a theme party a few years ago ("White Trash" -- I know that's probably really offensive to some, but it was pretty funny what people came up with for costumes and food). Of course, someone brought TTC and made it with ... yep... SPAM! I actually had some and it really wasn't bad, but very VERY salty!

If you're looking for cheap "kid food" try this:

-Chicken breast or tenders, cut into bite sized pieces

-Shake 'n' Bake, any flavor that you think you might like

Shake the moistened chicken pieces in the crumbs, and bake at 350 until done.

My kids loved these! Instead of deep fried advanced processed McDonald's chicken, or even the store bought nuggets, this was a much healthier option despite the sodium content. We did foster care, and the kids were very picky, and were used to highly processed foods. Fresh veggies and fruits were rare in their homes of origin because of the cost. Food stamps go a lot farther with processed foods.

I did serve it with baked french fries though, which of course come in a bag just like the tots...given the all-fried option at the fast food joints, this was still better.

Some sort of green veggie rounded out the meal...salad, broccoli, etc.

Here's my scratch version for the poster who was curious.

Saute some ground beef with chopped onions; drain well--you could even rinse in a sieve--and season generously with salt and white pepper. Set aside. This step can be done a day or two ahead, no need to reheat.

On the day you plan to serve the casserole, preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 9x13 pan. Grate 3 cups cheese; I used Cheddar, but I bet it would be tasty with a Cheddar-jack blend or even pepperjack (omit the white pepper and thyme if you use pepperjack). Use 2 cups of this to make some cheese sauce (basic recipe in any general cookbook; you will need butter, flour, and milk). Season the cheese sauce with a generous pinch of thyme and set aside just while you prepare the potatoes--you don't want it to set up.

Scrub, trim, and peel any green skin from 6 medium potatoes. Use the thin-slicer side of a box grater, or a mandoline if you have one, to slice the potatoes as thinly as possible. Put half of the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole, cover with the meat mixture, put on the other half of the potatoes, and pour the cheese sauce evenly over them. Cover with foil and bake at least half an hour, until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the potatoes are done. Take off the foil and sprinkle the last cup of cheese evenly over the top. Put back into the oven just until the cheese topping is nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

You might try this with ground turkey or with diced hot dogs or ham (do not add any salt). It could even be stuffed with broccoli instead of meat and onions. Adjust the seasoning to suit the type of filling.

My mom did a potato type casserole similar to this, without all of the cheese. The bottom was seasoned ground beef, with a can of 'cream of your choice" soup. Just salt, pepper, and finely diced onion in the beef besides the soup. Middle layer was two cans of creamed corn. Top layer was thinly sliced potatoes, salt and pepper. Bake until the potatoes are done.

I loved that casserole with a slice of buttered bread. Husband can't stand it and I haven't had it in years :-(

JFC - my dh avoid beef for 15 years for the same reason.

I don't fully understand the Cream of Crap obsession. Once upon a time, I used to eat macaroni tuna casserole, but I knew it was crap and haven't fed it to children. Really, what does it have other than sodium, fat and chemicals?

Canned tomatoes are my instant meal-maker instead.

For anyone who avoid pork, chicken can easily feed a crowd. I laughed while reading a chicken soup recipe that called for boneless skinless breasts, because everyone knows that REAL chicken soup is made from bones. I've got some in a crock pot with onions and carrots right now, and I can then use the meat from the bones in a salad or make it into shawarma. Last weekend, I managed to feel lunch to a Duggar-sized crowd with a small whole chicken which was tossed into the crock pot with a can of chick peas, a can of tomato sauce, 1.5 cups of rice, water and spices. It was insanely good - even willing over my ultra-picky eldest daughter - and pretty cheap.

JFC - my dh avoid beef for 15 years for the same reason.

I don't fully understand the Cream of Crap obsession. Once upon a time, I used to eat macaroni tuna casserole, but I knew it was crap and haven't fed it to children. Really, what does it have other than sodium, fat and chemicals?

I actually have a really good recipe for the old "cream of crap" tuna casserole where you make your own "cream of crap" from a mixture of milk and Neufchatel, using whole wheat pasta, fresh veggies. My kids like it. I think I got it from Cooking Light. So no more Cream of Crap from a can! :)

You have to know that you did a good deed in this. No, srsly!

Tater Tots are made from the scraps of potato that are too small to be chips, fries or even hash. The waste-not-want-not Ore-Ida folks came up with the idea of taking the minutiae, rolling them into little tots and merchandising the heck out of them.

TTC is green! :dance:

Did you know Ore Ida/Simplot is fundy?

Did you know Ore Ida/Simplot is fundy?

Well, his grandkids certainly weren't! Ask me how many parties I went to in high school up at the ole' JR house! LOL! Grew up in Boise and knew them. So interesting...

TTC sounds like a casserole I ate growing up. Sliced potatoes (real ones, not frozen) on the bottom layered with sliced onions, ground beef in the next layer, canned green beans next, Cream of Mush on top of that, and then american cheese slices. So so good. Seriously. But, all that fat can make it a little destabilizing to sensitive digestive systems, and the MSG in the soup gives me a headache, so I don't make it much anymore. I wish I had some right now. My halloween candy lunch was a little lacking.

Guest Anonymous

I must admit that I love hash browns, when the mood strikes me, and I could eat takeaway 3 nights a week if I let myself, but that TCC sounds like a pile of shit. :lol:

Isn't the point of tater tots or hash browns, that they are crispy? Why would you soak them in condensed soup - I mean, who first had that idea? :mrgreen:

We make potato casserole here:

homefries (potatoes cut up real tiny with lots of onions and peppers)

eggs, milk and cheese all mixed up

mix together in pan, bake for forty minutes at 350. We could use tater tots but its hella more expensive and with crappy additives so why bother?

I was surprised to learn how many people don't know that cream-of soup was originally a substitute for white sauce. I've seen recipes for homemade powdered concoctions that are supposed to be substitutes for cream-of soup. Real white sauce is tedious work, but WOW is it good.

Basic chicken rice casserole is rice, cream of mushroom soup, chicken pieces, and some extra seasoning. It's fairly quick and filling and it tastes okay. Make it with homemade white sauce and chopped mushrooms and people rave.

Cream of mushroom: White sauce with or without mushrooms

Cream of celery: Ditto, with celery pieces

Cream of asparagus: Ditto, with asparagus tips

Cream of chicken: Chicken veloute

Cheese: Cheese sauce!

Tomato: Tomato sauce, or sauce aurore (tomato cream sauce)

The thing I don't understand about TTC is that if you (or the Duggars) are trying to be economical, why not just use fresh potatoes? It's cheaper to buy a bag of potatoes than frozen tator tots, and with all those kids around it wouldn't be a big deal to dice them up in big pieces. I would even leave the skin on because I'm lazy, but I use the excuse that there are extra nutrients in the skin (which is true). I just don't understand why a family would make their own laundry detergent to save money, but would then squander so much on frozen tator tots.

I think tater tots are the preferred potato among certain people. Like Spam: it is expensive, unhealthy and imo disgusting, but some people just love it.

What are tatertots anyway?

When Jenny mentioned sliced potatoes, it made me realise that I do something similar this myself. Although my version is cooked from scratch and is probably a damn sight healthier than the duggars version.

When prepared correctly, tater tots are the food of the gods, a type of handheld fried potato treat that is popular in the US. Definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_Tots

Ah, we have something similar then. We call them potato croquets. Vile things they are. Can't imagine them in a casserole.

I was surprised to learn how many people don't know that cream-of soup was originally a substitute for white sauce. I've seen recipes for homemade powdered concoctions that are supposed to be substitutes for cream-of soup. Real white sauce is tedious work, but WOW is it good.

Basic chicken rice casserole is rice, cream of mushroom soup, chicken pieces, and some extra seasoning. It's fairly quick and filling and it tastes okay. Make it with homemade white sauce and chopped mushrooms and people rave.

Cream of mushroom: White sauce with or without mushrooms

Cream of celery: Ditto, with celery pieces

Cream of asparagus: Ditto, with asparagus tips

Cream of chicken: Chicken veloute

Cheese: Cheese sauce!

Tomato: Tomato sauce, or sauce aurore (tomato cream sauce)

I find it hard to believe that people don't know how to make something simple like a white sauce. It is so easy and is a basic in cooking. I don't think it takes any longer to make chicken rice casserole (my daughter calls it Mum's Chicken and Mushroom Surprise and she loves it!) with a proper sauce than it would to make one with a tin of soup. Mine is simply chicken, mushrooms, garlic, mushroom powder, stock, milk, tiny amount of cream and a spoonful of flour. It's a bit of a comfort food meal here with us.

Okay so now I feel trashy, ha ha! :lol:

I was raised on TTC.

It was a fast, easy meal for my parents to make after a 14 hour day. Or to make ahead and freeze and pop in the oven after a 14 hour day. I'd eat it again, won't even lie. :D

What I WON'T touch is SOS. Hamburger patties, bread, gravy... never in my life will I eat it again.

Well Koolmom, my inlaws do the onion & beef thing (they have "only" 10 kids) . I see the Duggars don't include onions an use ground turkey.

yeah basically though it's a layer of tatertots, the cooked beef and onions (or turkey) and a sprinkle of cheese, some more tatertots and then the cream of mushroom soup (and equivalent milk) on top and more cheese.

So how was that salad of yours?

EX-cellent, by the way...Tonight's entrees where the last of my Shrimp, Cod, and Fennel Soup with Tomatoes from (gasp!) Martha Stewart. It was pretty good, and can't wait to make another batch. The fish/shellfish were a bit steep, but worth every bite/drop. I already had the fish stock and most of the veggies, so I didn't have that much of a layout. And the main course was a gluten-free brown rice crusted single serve pizza (with uncured pepperoni), with a thin-sliced mushroom and sprinkle of cheese on top. C'est magnifique!

I will probably break down and try TTC, but with those much healthier versions posted. I like the idea of slicing thin potatoes, can do this by hand, I am very steady with a good knife. and maybe some broccoli thrown in. I'll probably blanch the potatoes and broccoli, maybe even pan-sear the potatoes a bit beforehand so they'll be sure to cook thoroughly. I live alone, so I can indulge my cooking habits. I might even try TTC with some spicy Eye-talian (a nod to Smuggar!) sausage!

As for the discussion of the white sauce dilemma, I used to find a very reliable and generous brand of white/cheese sauces I think Williams might be their brand, came in either flavor, and you had to pre-mix the sauce first, then add cold (or hot, forgot which, now) to the last of the mix. Suffice to say, they were the most flavorful sauces from a mix I've ever tried. I used to find mine at a now-defunct bakery outlet where I'd buy them regularly. Made great mac & cheese, too!

For the homemade white sauce, I used to put flour, salt, and pepper in a jar, along with some proportion of milk, shake it, then stir to a slow simmer, being sure to watch for lumps. When I'd get the formula right, it was superb. If you're real careful, you can adjust it while it's still cooking. I really envy someone who can cook sauces that way.

Lately, I've been on some cooking binge. Last week, I made my crock-pot baked apples, my fall tradition. I need to get some whipped cream to serve on top, too. Last night, after my salad (and another bowl of soup), I made two small packets of marinated boneless chicken thighs, and put them into the fridge to chill. A bit of teriyaki marinade, garlic powder, and a spritz of balsamic vinegar dressing should tenderize those bad-boys real well. Yum! No TTC here! Too bad the Duggars don't know stir-fry! I'll be happy to share those baked apples, if anyone's interested! It's a cinch!

Archived