IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

Guest Anonymous

A basic roux/white sauce was one of the first things I learned to cook in school, age 11. We had a real chef as a teacher for just one year - she was superb. You just gently melt 1 oz butter in a pan, stir in 1oz plain flour to make a soft ball texture. Stir it round the pan on the lowest heat for 1 minute to cook out the raw taste. Remove pan from heat and v v gradually add 1/2 pint milk. Return to low heat and heat through, stirring, til you get the right thickness. Add seasoning, herbs, whatever and your work is done.

Agreed, it is not what you want to do after a long day at work, but it freezes well if you are making a batch of dishes at once.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EX-cellent, by the way...Tonight's entrees where the last of my Shrimp, Cod, and Fennel Soup with Tomatoes from (gasp!) Martha Stewart. It was pretty good, and can't wait to make another batch. The fish/shellfish were a bit steep, but worth every bite/drop. I already had the fish stock and most of the veggies, so I didn't have that much of a layout. And the main course was a gluten-free brown rice crusted single serve pizza (with uncured pepperoni), with a thin-sliced mushroom and sprinkle of cheese on top. C'est magnifique!

I will probably break down and try TTC, but with those much healthier versions posted. I like the idea of slicing thin potatoes, can do this by hand, I am very steady with a good knife. and maybe some broccoli thrown in. I'll probably blanch the potatoes and broccoli, maybe even pan-sear the potatoes a bit beforehand so they'll be sure to cook thoroughly. I live alone, so I can indulge my cooking habits. I might even try TTC with some spicy Eye-talian (a nod to Smuggar!) sausage!

As for the discussion of the white sauce dilemma, I used to find a very reliable and generous brand of white/cheese sauces I think Williams might be their brand, came in either flavor, and you had to pre-mix the sauce first, then add cold (or hot, forgot which, now) to the last of the mix. Suffice to say, they were the most flavorful sauces from a mix I've ever tried. I used to find mine at a now-defunct bakery outlet where I'd buy them regularly. Made great mac & cheese, too!

For the homemade white sauce, I used to put flour, salt, and pepper in a jar, along with some proportion of milk, shake it, then stir to a slow simmer, being sure to watch for lumps. When I'd get the formula right, it was superb. If you're real careful, you can adjust it while it's still cooking. I really envy someone who can cook sauces that way.

Lately, I've been on some cooking binge. Last week, I made my crock-pot baked apples, my fall tradition. I need to get some whipped cream to serve on top, too. Last night, after my salad (and another bowl of soup), I made two small packets of marinated boneless chicken thighs, and put them into the fridge to chill. A bit of teriyaki marinade, garlic powder, and a spritz of balsamic vinegar dressing should tenderize those bad-boys real well. Yum! No TTC here! Too bad the Duggars don't know stir-fry! I'll be happy to share those baked apples, if anyone's interested! It's a cinch!

That's exactly what I do. I never realised that it was something similar to TTC. I brown the mince, add garlic and mushooms, add a spoonful of flour to make a roux, then add milk, cream and stock. Pour it all into a dish, put blanched fresh veggies in (generally cauli, carrots and broccoli, though we recently had it with french dwarf beans and it was lush), then put thinly sliced potatoes on top and bake.

I don't like baked apples, but I love baked peaches or apricots. Just stone them, sprinkle some brown sugar and cinnamon and then bake. They are to die for when served with thick Greek yoghurt.

Homemade white sauce is easy, just carefully and slowly add the milk to the roux bit by bit, stirring all the time. Take it off the heat while you do this too, otherwise you are more likely to get lumps. When all the milk is in, put it back on the heat and keep stirring.

@anniec

Stir it round the pan on the lowest heat for 1 minute to cook out the raw taste

I don't even bother doing that. I find that if you keep the heat there while stirring in your flour, it dries it out too much and you are more likely to get lumps. Once the butter is melted I take it off the heat to add the flour and then milk and cream. Once it is all mixed in I return to the heat.

If anyone here likes blue cheese sauce, an easy way is to just crumble up some blue cheese into your base white sauce. It's lush and if you allow it to cool it solidifies a little and you can use it for spreading (found that out by accident!)

My fundie sister dropped ham a few years ago. Being that is what we eat and have always eaten on X-mas eve, I guess she just eats side dishes because I see her kids eating the ham which I know she hates. Her family no longer comes to New Years at my parents because we have pork roast,mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. Her reasoning is pork is full if parasites. She is right,but I don't care. I will eat the side of parasites with my ham.

That may have true at one time but really now pork is no more full of parasites than any other meat or fish. Just cook it properly. And just to note: you will have to pry the bacon out of my cold dead hands.

TTC as given by the Duggars sounds ick, but when it comes to trashy food, you will have to pry my mother's hash brown casserole from my cold, dead hands. (Which isn't that hard, if I eat too much of said casserole.)

Hash browns + canned cream of chicken soup + cheese + onion + pepper and a couple other things = Comfort Food Of The Gods.

I have never had a hamburger, turkey, ham, or any other meat, save bacon, because it smells so good, and I am human. I was born with a freak digestive system, which cannot process animal proteins (my twin and our maternal grandmother have this too). I was sick for 2 weeks after the bacon, but it was worth it, and I've done it again, because I don't learn!

I don't deprive the husband and child of meat, but both of them are quite fond of my vegetarian alternatives. Morningstar Farms makes really great "fake" chicken, bacon, and riblets (ribs in sauce). There is a brand of sausage in a tube (I totally use tube meat!, albeit 5 dollar tube meat!) called "Gimme Lean", that makes the most spectacular biscuits and gravy. My pork eatin' father had some, declared they were the best he'd ever had, and I never told him it was vegetable matter. I do cook chicken, and apparently make amazing oyster chowder. I'd never know! My husband cooks the beef, though. For some reason the smell of it makes me ill. Ladybug prefers healthy food, so I am really lucky with her. She is very adamantly opposed to Jello, however. I asked her to explain, and she said it is because "it moves by itself, but it isn't alive."

White sauce is one of the centers of my cooking; it can be made low fat with a different kind of oil and skim milk, one just has to add a little bit more oil/flour.

I make a low fat version of the green bean casserole: low fat white sauce, wild mushrooms, pepper, fresh green beans, and onions dipped in flour/spices, baked in the oven first, then added to the above. It isn't exact, of course, but it is goooood!

I have never had a hamburger, turkey, ham, or any other meat, save bacon, because it smells so good, and I am human. I was born with a freak digestive system, which cannot process animal proteins (my twin and our maternal grandmother have this too). I was sick for 2 weeks after the bacon, but it was worth it, and I've done it again, because I don't learn!

I don't deprive the husband and child of meat, but both of them are quite fond of my vegetarian alternatives. Morningstar Farms makes really great "fake" chicken, bacon, and riblets (ribs in sauce). There is a brand of sausage in a tube (I totally use tube meat!, albeit 5 dollar tube meat!) called "Gimme Lean", that makes the most spectacular biscuits and gravy. My pork eatin' father had some, declared they were the best he'd ever had, and I never told him it was vegetable matter. I do cook chicken, and apparently make amazing oyster chowder. I'd never know! My husband cooks the beef, though. For some reason the smell of it makes me ill. Ladybug prefers healthy food, so I am really lucky with her. She is very adamantly opposed to Jello, however. I asked her to explain, and she said it is because "it moves by itself, but it isn't alive."

White sauce is one of the centers of my cooking; it can be made low fat with a different kind of oil and skim milk, one just has to add a little bit more oil/flour.

I make a low fat version of the green bean casserole: low fat white sauce, wild mushrooms, pepper, fresh green beans, and onions dipped in flour/spices, baked in the oven first, then added to the above. It isn't exact, of course, but it is goooood!

But Jello has gelatin in it, which is an animal product (tallow -- ick!), so maybe she's more of a vegetarian than you think!

• 3 weeks later...

My sister and take turns hosting Tgiving dinner. Each year, in addition to all the good food we bring, we provide one "lame" dish as a joke that we know no one will eat. Last time I brought La Choy chow mein in a can (blech!).

So this year I'm taking TTC! With spam. Cut out in shapes of maple leaves. It will be a classic! BUT, can I put this together tonight and then wait to bake it until tomorrow or will I regret that? Sadly, some of the kids will probably eat it, so I don't want it to be REALLY gross.

The TT will not hold up overnight.....you'll have to assemble it in the morning and bake it. You could bake it a few hours ahead of time and then warm it up in the oven closer to meal time (keeping it in the fridge between time) ...... OR if you're really super brave, go ahead and cook the TTs and then assemble it and bake it the next day.......although eww!

TTC is disgusting, btw. Truly disgusting.

Thanks, snarkbillie! Yes, it is disgusting, but that's why it's funny to take to Tgiving dinner at my sister's! Bwah ha ha!

I'm going to top it by writing my name across the top in spray "cheese". Going to have my kids help do the spam cutouts. Not sure if I'll have to cook that or not, but I guess so. Hmmmm.

I grew up in the south and the proper way to cook spam is to brown it a little on each side in a skillet. You can cut it out with cookie cutters if you have any. That canned cheese would be easy to write a name with and goes great with spam, lmao.

I'm going to top it by writing my name across the top in spray "cheese".

Nice!!! :lol:

According to Michelle Duggar, this can be put together in like 10 minutes or so.

But wasnt the last time she made this HERSELF when she only had six kids? Or did she wait until the girls were old enough, and helped them... and her part of the helping only took 10 minutes?

Thanks, snarkbillie! Yes, it is disgusting, but that's why it's funny to take to Tgiving dinner at my sister's! Bwah ha ha!

I'm going to top it by writing my name across the top in spray "cheese". Going to have my kids help do the spam cutouts. Not sure if I'll have to cook that or not, but I guess so. Hmmmm.

Bad taste is soooo timeless :lol:

We will want to see a photo. 8-)

Tater tot casserole is disgusting, but it is even more disgusting they day after it's made. So leave making it until as late as possible. Then it will at least be edible in small doses. But I love the idea of writing your name on the top in cheese. Do it!

Tater tot casserole is disgusting, but it is even more disgusting they day after it's made. So leave making it until as late as possible. Then it will at least be edible in small doses. But I love the idea of writing your name on the top in cheese. Do it!

Just for shits and giggles, I made one of the disgusting things a couple of weeks ago. My god. WHO had the bright idea that would be good? It's the absolute worst, and I had to throw it out. NO ONE liked it, and I'm a pretty damn good cook, but what can you do with hamburger (what I used), mushroom soup and tater tots? Well, you make a casserole that is inedible, that's what.

I do have a photo on my FB page but don't know how to share photos here!

I opted out of the spray cheese and simply went with a monogram in ketchup. It was beautiful!

If someone can tell me how to share a photo, I'd be happy to! I love to inspire others with my cooking skills! LOL!

And for the record, a 15yo boy ate a couple of the spam leaves, and my dad's wife picked off several of the tater tots. My sister insisted they kept it and had it for brunch the next day, but I think we all know that's not true.... :)

To share a photo, use the full editor. Make just that FB photo available to everyone/global (I don't have one right now, so I can't tell you how to do that part). Click on the photo after you have shared it, and put the link between these tags:

LINK%20GOES%20HERE

Walla Walla! My husband and kid are at grandma's today; I have nothing to do!

Funny stuff! I'd like to see pics of that dinner party too.

I never even knew what tater-tot casserole was before I saw it on "that show". And yeah, it looks yucky; so does the "chickenetti" that Anna made later on... :lol:

The amount of sodium and fat that the Duggars eat in one week must be astronomical. Will we soon see "A very special Duggar: heart-attack 911" ? Because eating like that 24-7 can't be good. Each time that I watch their show and they're in their dining-room I always notice their restaurant-like soft-drink fountains. Do they ever drink water? The eating habits of that family disgusts me, although I'll admit that none of them kids seem overweight yet , except for Josh.

Archived