IGNORED

Baby Dilly is a Boy/It's a Boy for the Dillards MERGED

BeaSnarky

It's sweet of her to take her other children to the gender reveal. :roll:

Yes, it was so sweet of her to take her other children to the jender reveal of her next child!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For once I think people are over analyzing. What Derrick said did not strike me as he sees women as second class citizens-I see it more as him thinking of the stereotypical brother role who will protect his little siblings. Kind of like when my sister said she hopes she has a boy so her son will have someone to roughhouse with. Stereotypical,yes,but offensive,no.

I don't know, I think the way he worded it was weird. If he would've just said that he's excited that it's a boy so that he can look out for and protect his younger siblings, sure, that's not offensive and a stereotypical/normal thing to say. But to say he's going to be the "leader" of his siblings...what are they, a little army? Is he the "headship" of the siblings? Given who Derick and Jill are, it's a pretty patriarchal thing to say, I think.

For once I think people are over analyzing. What Derrick said did not strike me as he sees women as second class citizens-I see it more as him thinking of the stereotypical brother role who will protect his little siblings. Kind of like when my sister said she hopes she has a boy so her son will have someone to roughhouse with. Stereotypical,yes,but offensive,no.

Yeah, I have a big brother and he was like that. Very much a follower of 'I can pick on my younger sisters all I want, but if you do it, I'll kick your ass' lol.

1. She doesn't look very happy in the pic. Maybe she's just tired from being preggo. Or maybe she wanted a girl and is disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted a girl so she'd have a ready made sister mom. Oh well, good thing she'll be able to convince J'Chelle to let Jenny move in and have Jenny raise the kids!

If you have a daughter then have a son, you have a firstborn daughter AND a firstborn son. Or vice versa. I'm my parent's firstborn daughter, even though I have an older brother.

I believe the firstborn is the first child born (the eldest), regardless of gender.

1. She doesn't look very happy in the pic. Maybe she's just tired from being preggo. Or maybe she wanted a girl and is disappointed.

2. I'm glad it's a boy. I hope their next 5 are also boys so she can't pawn the last eleventy off on the first 6 down the road like what was done to her by her idol.

3. Anyone else think it's weird that she still seems to have her buddy group in tact many months after marriage? Shouldn't the buddy groups have been redistributed by now? It's like she has no other siblings she cares about other than the 3 she raised (and Jana who did all her wedding work for her, of course) OR she is still being expected to take her buddies everywhere by J'Chelle.

I can't bold anything on mobile, but about #3, I'm glad. They need their mother. A while back we had a member write about the bond between "buddies" and it brought me to tears. If she just got married and left them behind they would be lost and abandoned even with being paired with another buddy. It makes me believe Jill won't be the pos Jchelle is as a mother.

I believe the firstborn is the first child born (the eldest), regardless of gender.

No, not in fundieland. They talk a lot about how special a firstborn son is. Michael Duggar was referred to as a firstborn son, despite being born second. Andrew Maxwell was referred to as a firstborn son, despite have 4 older sisters.

It comes from the fact that firstborn sons are mentioned a lot in the Bible. They are "special" to God, and fundies consider them meant to be leaders of others, first their siblings, and later other fundies.

It's typical fundie language, and the fact that Derick spewed it says a lot about how deep he's gone down the rabbit hole.

No, not in fundieland. They talk a lot about how special a firstborn son is. Michael Duggar was referred to as a firstborn son, despite being born second. Andrew Maxwell was referred to as a firstborn son, despite have 4 older sisters.

It comes from the fact that firstborn sons are mentioned a lot in the Bible. They are "special" to God, and fundies consider them meant to be leaders of others, first their siblings, and later other fundies.

It's typical fundie language, and the fact that Derick spewed it says a lot about how deep he's gone down the rabbit hole.

Firstborn sons also used to be the child that inherited the land, title, and income of their fathers. Think British monarchy.

There is a difference between "my firstborn is a son" and "he is my firstborn son."

On taking the buddy team everywhere ... I don't think Jill has learnt how to be alone yet. All her life she has had one person or more usually a crowd with her. I have a podcast of her "At home alone with Josie" where she talks about how rare it is to be alone. She is very vague when the crew ask her what she will do while she is alone. Two things surprised me when I saw it (1) that alone can include yourself, your baby sister and a film crew and (2) that she wasn't really sure what she was going to do. She says something like "when Josie wakes up I'll take her down stairs and we might read a bit". At that age, alone, I could have rattled off a huge list of things I wanted to do. I was surprised to see James with her picking up Derrick from work but then realised she probably needs the company while he is away. Michelle may actually not been dumping the kids on Jill at all. (If I am right it still comes back to Michelle's parenting because she made Jill dependant on company.) Somehow, taking the team to the ultrasound is very unsurprising.

Your firstborn son is your firstborn son. Your firstborn daughter is your firstborn daughter. You can only have one 'firstborn' (without any gender qualifier), but you CAN have both a firstborn son and a firstborn daughter.

On taking the buddy team everywhere ... I don't think Jill has learnt how to be alone yet. All her life she has had one person or more usually a crowd with her. I have a podcast of her "At home alone with Josie" where she talks about how rare it is to be alone. She is very vague when the crew ask her what she will do while she is alone. Two things surprised me when I saw it (1) that alone can include yourself, your baby sister and a film crew and (2) that she wasn't really sure what she was going to do. She says something like "when Josie wakes up I'll take her down stairs and we might read a bit". At that age, alone, I could have rattled off a huge list of things I wanted to do. I was surprised to see James with her picking up Derrick from work but then realised she probably needs the company while he is away. Michelle may actually not been dumping the kids on Jill at all. (If I am right it still comes back to Michelle's parenting because she made Jill dependant on company.) Somehow, taking the team to the ultrasound is very unsurprising.

Jill better learn quick that now baby comes first along with Derrick. And why does Jill always pick Derick up from work? Can't he drive himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if another factor was she saw how torn up her buddy team was around the wedding and wants to make sure she isn't forgetting them.

Oh yeah...they are so glad it's a boy. NICE...

You hear that kind of statement even in the most liberal circles. It's not even very subtle, and people are not ashamed to admit it. There is still so much pressure on a family to produce at least one son even if it's a liberal family, even if it's a wealthy family. It's there, and I have the feeling it always will be. If it's a girl, it's just a girl, if it's a boy then suddenly it's so important that the baby IS a boy. IDK...

So now they have produced a son they can relax and every baby that comes afterwards is not so important.

remember when Josh and Anna cut the cake and it was pink which meant their firstborn would be a daughter. Josh looked a little disappointed and then when it was time for Michaels gender announcement and birth everyone was like proud to have a "firstborn grandson" and "nephew". I don't think it would have been such an emphasis on gender if Mackynzie was born second and MIchael first. Then it would have been for Michael: Oh, first born grandson. "we are glad it's a son". And for Kynzie: Oh, second child, just another one in a looong row.

OMG! When my sister had her ultrasounds, there wasn't anybody else in the room except her husband and medical staff. This should be a private moment for the parents (or mother) to be.

Well having her buddies around will give her an idea of what her life will be like if she truly wants to be quiverfull.

Well having her buddies around will give her an idea of what her life will be like if she truly wants to be quiverfull.

Oh I think Jill knows exactly what life will be like with her quiverfull family. She already has the massive house like Michelle. She knows how to create buddy teams. I think she will run her family exactly like Michelle taught her to.

I think the Fundie dream is to basically do what the Duggars did: first kid a boy, then you want 4-5 girls in a row to be the army of sister-moms and then you want a couple of more boys and then the Lord can decide :roll: :roll:

And because Jill is the perfect fundie princess, it will probably work out just how she wants!

Jill better learn quick that now baby comes first along with Derrick. And why does Jill always pick Derick up from work? Can't he drive himself.

I think that is because they only have the one car. So if Jill wants to do something with her buddy group she needs the car and would have to pick up Derick after work.

A lot of the stuff snarked on here isn't snarkworthy in the non-fundie world.

I didn't take Derick's comment too patriarchal, I don't know when his father died and what kind of relationship they had but it could be that he's just anticipating having a father-son relationship this time from the other side of the pond and establishing the relationship the way he'd have wanted it back with his dad?!

Jill bringing her buddies with her? So what. She's not as emotionally stunted as her terrible mother. She cares about them and I think it's nice that she still gives them the attention they don't get from their mother. It has been stressed quite a lot that Jill's buddy-team is especially close. Having Jill being away all day and night probably isn't easy for any of them these days.

A lot of the stuff snarked on here isn't snarkworthy in the non-fundie world.

I didn't take Derick's comment too patriarchal, I don't know when his father died and what kind of relationship they had but it could be that he's just anticipating having a father-son relationship this time from the other side of the pond and establishing the relationship the way he'd have wanted it back with his dad?!

Jill bringing her buddies with her? So what. She's not as emotionally stunted as her terrible mother. She cares about them and I think it's nice that she still gives them the attention they don't get from their mother. It has been stressed quite a lot that Jill's buddy-team is especially close. Having Jill being away all day and night probably isn't easy for any of them these days.

I tend to agree with this - my niece is taking a different family member to her ultrasounds each month...because we want a chance to see the bub (actually, I'm spying...I want to know if it is a boy or a girl...LOL). That's my great niece or nephew in there, and I love it. I'm sure it's the same with Joyanna, and James...Jenny is probably still too little to understand, but Jill is close with them. Josh and Anna took Michelle and Jim Bob to their ultrasounds as well.

What I think would be odd would be taking a camera crew...but that's just me.

I don't honestly understand this myself. The Dillards are making money from TLC and People magazine at this point, why don't they invest in a second vehicle? That way Jill could tool around with her children, err, buddies and not have to worry about being available to pick up Derick from work.

I agree with what everyone is saying about Jill & her Buddy team.

I think this had been a huge change for them to all of a sudden not have her around.

Agree, unless you specify gender. Your first born is your first child. Your firstborn son is the first son that is born. etc. Eh, no biggie.

Archived