IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

Ok, so don't get me wrong as I love to chat and read about this crazy family, but it seems a bit intrusive to constantly monitor their gift registries.

Jessa didn't ask to be a part of this fame hungry family. Ben, on the other hand did seek it out, but he is young and stupid. But Jessa didn't. So I think that we need to be careful not to overstep reasonable boundaries on the kids. Jimbo and Michele, fine, they did ask for the fame and put their whole family in the midst of it, so they are completely fair game, IMO. Yes, the kids have profited from more money, along with their parents, but still none of this was their choice. Even if their parents asked them when they were 10 years old, Do you want to be on TV and they said "Yes" it still isn't their choice.

While the registries may have seemed greedy, it could also be a matter of them running out of ideas for 1000+ people, plus they were probably advised to include things that some of the fans could send as well, by TLC or their parents. I kind of doubt they expected to get everything. And some things may have just been added as a WTF? A Kayak? Sure, that sounds fun, and they never expected to actually get a Kayak.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder what Kirk Cameron got them? Maybe he gave them a bunch of Subway cards.

Ok, so don't get me wrong as I love to chat and read about this crazy family, but it seems a bit intrusive to constantly monitor their gift registries.

Jessa didn't ask to be a part of this fame hungry family. Ben, on the other hand did seek it out, but he is young and stupid. But Jessa didn't. So I think that we need to be careful not to overstep reasonable boundaries on the kids. Jimbo and Michele, fine, they did ask for the fame and put their whole family in the midst of it, so they are completely fair game, IMO. Yes, the kids have profited from more money, along with their parents, but still none of this was their choice. Even if their parents asked them when they were 10 years old, Do you want to be on TV and they said "Yes" it still isn't their choice.

While the registries may have seemed greedy, it could also be a matter of them running out of ideas for 1000+ people, plus they were probably advised to include things that some of the fans could send as well, by TLC or their parents. I kind of doubt they expected to get everything. And some things may have just been added as a WTF? A Kayak? Sure, that sounds fun, and they never expected to actually get a Kayak.

I don't think it is intrusive. She put it out there for the whole world to see, therefore I can go and see it out of curiosity as often as I want.

I don't understand how this wasn't her choice? Most people choose what goes on their registry. They did not get bullied into registering for over $35,000 worth of stuff. Not to mention, the absurdity of the registry is astronomical. Did they need up to ten mixing spoons? Up to 30 towels? At least 5 queen size bedspreads? Hundreds of dollars worth of pots and pans? If they were running out of ideas for their 1,000 guests, imagine how they are going to run out of space in the small house they will most likely receive.

For the record, there are hundreds of items waiting to be purchased. I wonder how long you can keep a registry for? Like, for people who now need to get Jessa a birthday present, they can turn to the registry! Christmas? Registry!

While I would never peruse a Duggar gift registry, just not my style, I am also not going to give adults a free pass. These 2 are adult enough to be married and bright enough to open a gift registry. THEY should be also be savy enough to know when to say when...part of the Duggar's belief system involves JOY- greed should be a familiar enough concept IF JOY was actually a foundation in the Duggar home. Ben claims to be religious. He must be familiar with gluttony.

They are adults- sounds like they were pretty greedy when it came to looking for gifts.

Has anyone checked if she received almost everything on her registry? Or how much is left that hasn't been bought?

Because I am watching the most boring-est episode ever of My Five Wives, Here's what's left unpurchased on the BJ Bed Bath Beyond registry:

A couple of pans, pressure cooker (I cook ALL THE DAMN TIME, from scratch, and have NEVER EVER wanted for one of those...), Keurig filters, 2 under-cabinet organizers, flavor injector (never needed one of those, either...), vertical file organizer, pastry brush, 2 jars of salt, jar of peppercorns, salt mill, pepper mill, strainer, apple wedger, egg slicer, some pot holders, avocado slicer/pitter, lid rack, spatula, mini grater, salad tongs, digital thermometer for people, dish brush, Con-tact paper, 2 kitchen trash cans, slow cooker liners (whaaat??), parchment paper, meatloaf pan, all bath towels & washcloths, a beach towel, 1 (out of 3) sheet sets, luggage, neck pillow (but someone got one luggage tag, LOL), knife block set (but rec'd other knives), 5 (out of 7 registered for) quilts/comforters, a few shams & throw pillows, bed skirt, a $40 pillow, $120 mattress pad (!!?!), 2 down comforters, bathroom rugs & fuzzy toilet lid cover, 1 out of 2 shower curtains, shower curtain hooks (2 different sets) & rod, 2 more "fingertip" towels, standing vanity mirror, 2 more bath rugs, more towels, bathroom wastebasket, $30 plunger, ironing board cover, hand soap and refill, lint remover, laundry odor eliminator, dishwashing gloves, sponge, dishwashing wand, jewelry cleaning pen, lambswool duster, 2 matching $90 robes, 1 out of many random colored/patterned kitchen towels, gel mat, hair straightener & curling iron (Uh-oh! How will she get godly Gothard hair?!), car fragrances & many smelly candles, some expensive blankets & throws (one for a TWIN size), rattan "pouf", 1 doormat (of MANY registered for...HOW MANY DOORS DOES THEIR HOUSE HAVE??), a bunch of mismatched picture frames (out of a shitload registered for), 4 padded folding chairs, hall tree, coat tree, 2 non-matching 3-drawer chests (nightstands?), folding cot, couple of storage ottomans, a ridiculously expensive shelving unit & matching ridiculously expensive rolling cart, folding screen, headboard, 6 or 7 standing lamps, some wall art out of many registered for, a whole bunch of drapery and curtains and rods ans tiebacks and drapery sconces, some hangers, storage bins, metal shelf and overdoor hooks, jewelry hanger, vacuum, iron, sewing machine, bunches of silk flowers, table fan, Listerine, Clorox wipes, umbrella, bamboo skewers, stone BBQ cleaner, hammock, fire pit, 10 camping chairs, grill, chaise lounge, candy, makeup wipes, 1 camo melamine plate & cup(out of 1...?), a bunch of sport water bottles, makeup case and cotton pads, popcorn seasonings, more candy, $20 bag of chia seeds, can of nuts, flyswatter, leopard duct tape...

BUT all told, they definitely got the overwhelming majority of what they registered for. Might have issues taking showers without shower curtains and towels, though. And the windows won't have curtains for after-shower privacy... But for the most part, the things they did NOT receive, they had registered for so many different kinds that they got *something* from that category...they have necessities like pots & pans, sheets, comforters, popcorn, soda, candy, :lol: just not ALL of the many they registered for. And this is just the BBB registry.

ALSO...there still exist in this world people who are not good at "doing" registries, so I'm sure BJ will get doubles of things because people did not say they were buying for the registry when they purchased...so BJ can return and get what they still want with the registry discount.

Anyone who opens a wedding registry opens themselves up for others to scrutinize it. When I did my wedding registry, I knew that anyone could look at it, and that's fine. Registries in this day and age are on the Internet, and they're usually public. I don't think there's anything strange about looking at theirs, or about anyone looking at mine. It's public info! It's not like this is a situation like that girl back in the day who visited the Duggars and stole one of the girls' diary, for pete's sake.

Because I am watching the most boring-est episode ever of My Five Wives, Here's what's left unpurchased on the BJ Bed Bath Beyond registry:

A couple of pans, pressure cooker (I cook ALL THE DAMN TIME, from scratch, and have NEVER EVER wanted for one of those...), Keurig filters, 2 under-cabinet organizers, flavor injector (never needed one of those, either...), vertical file organizer, pastry brush, 2 jars of salt, jar of peppercorns, salt mill, pepper mill, strainer, apple wedger, egg slicer, some pot holders, avocado slicer/pitter, lid rack, spatula, mini grater, salad tongs, digital thermometer for people, dish brush, Con-tact paper, 2 kitchen trash cans, slow cooker liners (whaaat??), parchment paper, meatloaf pan, all bath towels & washcloths, a beach towel, 1 (out of 3) sheet sets, luggage, neck pillow (but someone got one luggage tag, LOL), knife block set (but rec'd other knives), 5 (out of 7 registered for) quilts/comforters, a few shams & throw pillows, bed skirt, a $40 pillow, $120 mattress pad (!!?!), 2 down comforters, bathroom rugs & fuzzy toilet lid cover, 1 out of 2 shower curtains, shower curtain hooks (2 different sets) & rod, 2 more "fingertip" towels, standing vanity mirror, 2 more bath rugs, more towels, bathroom wastebasket, $30 plunger, ironing board cover, hand soap and refill, lint remover, laundry odor eliminator, dishwashing gloves, sponge, dishwashing wand, jewelry cleaning pen, lambswool duster, 2 matching $90 robes, 1 out of many random colored/patterned kitchen towels, gel mat, hair straightener & curling iron (Uh-oh! How will she get godly Gothard hair?!), car fragrances & many smelly candles, some expensive blankets & throws (one for a TWIN size), rattan "pouf", 1 doormat (of MANY registered for...HOW MANY DOORS DOES THEIR HOUSE HAVE??), a bunch of mismatched picture frames (out of a shitload registered for), 4 padded folding chairs, hall tree, coat tree, 2 non-matching 3-drawer chests (nightstands?), folding cot, couple of storage ottomans, a ridiculously expensive shelving unit & matching ridiculously expensive rolling cart, folding screen, headboard, 6 or 7 standing lamps, some wall art out of many registered for, a whole bunch of drapery and curtains and rods ans tiebacks and drapery sconces, some hangers, storage bins, metal shelf and overdoor hooks, jewelry hanger, vacuum, iron, sewing machine, bunches of silk flowers, table fan, Listerine, Clorox wipes, umbrella, bamboo skewers, stone BBQ cleaner, hammock, fire pit, 10 camping chairs, grill, chaise lounge, candy, makeup wipes, 1 camo melamine plate & cup(out of 1...?), a bunch of sport water bottles, makeup case and cotton pads, popcorn seasonings, more candy, $20 bag of chia seeds, can of nuts, flyswatter, leopard duct tape...

BUT all told, they definitely got the overwhelming majority of what they registered for. Might have issues taking showers without shower curtains and towels, though. And the windows won't have curtains for after-shower privacy... But for the most part, the things they did NOT receive, they had registered for so many different kinds that they got *something* from that category...they have necessities like pots & pans, sheets, comforters, popcorn, soda, candy, :lol: just not ALL of the many they registered for. And this is just the BBB registry.

ALSO...there still exist in this world people who are not good at "doing" registries, so I'm sure BJ will get doubles of things because people did not say they were buying for the registry when they purchased...so BJ can return and get what they still want with the registry discount.

oh my goodness JHeathen, thank you. i about died :lol: listed like that it's absolutely hilarious.

While I think they went obnoxiously overboard with the registry - it was probably their first opportunity to get to be the focus of gift giving and they did put on a dog and pony show - who knows if TLC pays them or it just goes to a Duggar family trust that JB controls. Maybe they figured they were entitled to some payback for 10+ years of Jessa being on screen etc. and that they better cash in while they can. Do I think this is a mature Christian way to approach a wedding registry? Heck no - but I don't think we can fault them for being immature - their culture forces them to marry while they are still immature if they want to escape the compound.

Also, if Jessa has never been paid for all the tv work she's done - well, a lump sum of $30k probably wouldn't even come close to minimum wage.

I do think it would have super funny if the wedding guests would have been encouraged to buy used and save the difference.

I didnt register for a kitchenaid stand mixer because they are nothing compared to the amazing Breville Stand Mixers. Lower cost with better construction. Those Aussies know what they are doing. BTW Breville makes the best blenders :)

I got my Breville stand mixer here from the "seconds" Breville shop. Never opened or used, just a damaged box. $199. Can't complain.

I think snarking on Benessa's registry is one of the least intrusive things people on here talk about. For God's sake, people on here discuss how long Bin might last during their wedding night sex and whether their first kiss was in private so that Bin's hard-on wouldn't be public.

:o

My theory with the wedding and baby registries is that they are more a marketing tool for the various companies, than an actual list of what they really want and need.

I'm sure everything they put on there is something they would like. But I really think the enormous number and variety of items is purely product placement for TLC advertisers or other sponsors.

It's a big win - win for everyone. The young couples get everything they could possibly desire as gifts. They likely also get some freebies from the companies. The companies who make the products get tons of free exposure and discussion - otherwise known as free advertising. TLC and People and whoever their parent conglomerates are make everyone happy. And the whole thing is virtually free and probably takes everyone involved less than a days work, total, to coordinate.

All the Jill and Jessa have to do is pick through the lists of sponsored products and pick what they like from among the choices. They may " need" to pick 4 among 20 different styles of towels, or a particular brand of car seat, or what color of Kitchen-Aid Mixer , but I'm sure that leaves enough room for personal taste to make them happy.

And most brands are all owned by some other huge umbrella company of brands, so it's not like they would have to be approached and coordinate with 100 different competing sources. I once had a grant that required that agencies didn't accept donations from companies engaged in producing tobacco. So they gave us a list of companies to avoid. I swear there were like three master conglomerates that had subsidiaries that covered virtually every single product you use in everyday life in the U.S.

My theory with the wedding and baby registries is that they are more a marketing tool for the various companies, than an actual list of what they really want and need.

I'm sure everything they put on there is something they would like. But I really think the enormous number and variety of items is purely product placement for TLC advertisers or other sponsors.

It's a big win - win for everyone. The young couples get everything they could possibly desire as gifts. They likely also get some freebies from the companies. The companies who make the products get tons of free exposure and discussion - otherwise known as free advertising. TLC and People and whoever their parent conglomerates are make everyone happy. And the whole thing is virtually free and probably takes everyone involved less than a days work, total, to coordinate.

All the Jill and Jessa have to do is pick through the lists of sponsored products and pick what they like from among the choices. They may " need" to pick 4 among 20 different styles of towels, or a particular brand of car seat, or what color of Kitchen-Aid Mixer , but I'm sure that leaves enough room for personal taste to make them happy.

And most brands are all owned by some other huge umbrella company of brands, so it's not like they would have to be approached and coordinate with 100 different competing sources. I once had a grant that required that agencies didn't accept donations from companies engaged in producing tobacco. So they gave us a list of companies to avoid. I swear there were like three master conglomerates that had subsidiaries that covered virtually every single product you use in everyday life in the U.S.

As true as this may be for real celebrities, I work for one of those big conglomerate companies and we are in no way supporting them or providing freebies for them because they registered for our family of products (this goes for both girl's wedding registries and Jill's baby registry). There was lots of potential for us with how many of our products they registered for, but if they expected freebies from us- they truly are nuts. I can't say this is true for other umbrella companies but I'm not sure how many companies want to be associated with these crazies.

I got the numbers off the BBB registry again and these are the current post-wedding sums:

amount requested: ~$24,000

amount received:~$7,000

As true as this may be for real celebrities, I work for one of those big conglomerate companies and we are in no way supporting them or providing freebies for them because they registered for our family of products (this goes for both girl's wedding registries and Jill's baby registry). There was lots of potential for us with how many of our products they registered for, but if they expected freebies from us- they truly are nuts. I can't say this is true for other umbrella companies but I'm not sure how many companies want to be associated with these crazies.

Plenty of companies seem to want to be. some recent episodes, especially the ones focused on Josh and Anna, appear to be just one big product placement. " Look at the fun I'm having putting together this Step 2 Playhouse, all on my own with two toddlers helping me! They sure are having fun playing in it" or " We love to come shoe shopping at Shoe World ( or wherever it was they went), the girls love new shoes and they have them for the whole family at such an affordable price!"

Although they don't seem to be the worst. Some of the scripted shoes lately -- man, not even subtle!

Plenty of companies seem to want to be. some recent episodes, especially the ones focused on Josh and Anna, appear to be just one big product placement. " Look at the fun I'm having putting together this Step 2 Playhouse, all on my own with two toddlers helping me! They sure are having fun playing in it" or " We love to come shoe shopping at Shoe World ( or wherever it was they went), the girls love new shoes and they have them for the whole family at such an affordable price!"

Although they don't seem to be the worst. Some of the scripted shows lately -- man, not even subtle!

Oh don't forget the OH SO BLATANT toddler formula ad in the show. According to Anna and Smug, it's so convenient to just throw in the diaper bag and take with us to make sure the kids are getting the nutrition they need.

Seven grand in wedding gifts sounds like a LOT to me!

Particularly, if you're 19 and 21 and both without a paycheck.

Oh don't forget the OH SO BLATANT toddler formula ad in the show. According to Anna and Smug, it's so convenient to just throw in the diaper bag and take with us to make sure the kids are getting the nutrition they need.

Very true, there have been a TON of product placements recently on the show and on Jill's instagram. I wonder if they seek out the companies or its TLC, or the companies themselves. I'm just glad my parent company won't hand out our baby/toddler products, kitchen products, or home products for free to these grifters. (think carseats, strollers, cookware, etc).

19 kids and fine china?

What I didn't see on jill or jessas' registries was wedding china. No crystal, no silver, or anything fancy. Would these get broken to bits by the quiver full ? Just wondering why these items were just not there. Seemed odd to me because that's usually high on people' registry lists.

Anna and josh don't eat on paper plates...

19 kids and fine china?

What I didn't see on jill or jessas' registries was wedding china. No crystal, no silver, or anything fancy. Would these get broken to bits by the quiver full ? Just wondering why these items were just not there. Seemed odd to me because that's usually high on people' registry lists.

I feel like I beat a dead horse about this, but that is way out of Duggar's league. They are really just above trailer trash.

JB&M aren't fancy people - at all - I doubt any of their kids know how to set a table, use a place setting, etc.

What I didn't see on jill or jessas' registries was wedding china. No crystal, no silver, or anything fancy.

Good point. Well at the TTH all we see is paper and plastic, they don't even have a china cabinet that I can see. Smuggar and Anna probably either bought their own real dishes if they didn't get them at the wedding.

They are fish out of water when it comes to dining. The etiquette date that JB/MIchelle, JIll/Derrick and Jessa/Ben went to was laughable. Jill and Derrick tried, but Ben was acting like such a 10 year old. I'd say paper plates for him for another 5 years at least.

19 kids and fine china?

If it was anyone but these folks I wouldn't read much into it. I didn't register for any of that either. Not because I'm not classy enough or didn't think about it but I already had it. My parents were into dishware and such when I was little. I had my wedding china, silver, and crystal when I was 9. I love it still to this day.

yes to all that - they seem to be just barely above nailing the plates to the table so they don't get slung all over in the food grab. :lol: (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers has a scene like that, iirc)

Archived