IGNORED

Jessa & BinBob's registries: Asking for over $30,000

Paperplate

Hey, her handwriting is better than my (almost 30-year-old, with a bachelor's degree, currently working on a master's degree) husband's! :lol: You can actually... GASP... READ WHAT SHE WROTE!!!

That is probably because your husband's handwriting worsened in college, if he wrote notes by hand.

Also might be why no Duggars wear glasses. People with a lot of education tend to end up with glasses.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is probably because your husband's handwriting worsened in college, if he wrote notes by hand.

Also might be why no Duggars wear glasses. People with a lot of education tend to end up with glasses.

Actually both Jill and Jenny wear glasses sometimes.

His handwriting went kaput in 1st grade when he wanted to write stories and the teacher wanted him to write spelling words over and over again, so he did it as fast as he could and stopped caring about writing neatly. :P

It is really weird that no one is buying her towels - maybe she can have some of Jills truckload! Also no vacuum or iron has been bought. I guess inviting 200 less people makes a big difference with gifts.

It is really weird that no one is buying her towels - maybe she can have some of Jills truckload! Also no vacuum or iron has been bought. I guess inviting 200 less people makes a big difference with gifts.

Do we know how many people they invited? Does "simple" wedding mean it's less than 1.000?

Do we know how many people they invited? Does "simple" wedding mean it's less than 1.000?

from the people magazine article it stated 800 were invited

so it's going to be smaller than Jill's

someone bought her KitchenAid® Artisan® 5 qt. Stand Mixer in Aqua

for $349

did someone from here buy it - ?

that thing is so nice

Yes I brought it for myself

Reading makes you nearsighted. I kid you not. Studies on Eskimos after they were taught to read showed this.

Also why some lasik people suggest getting lasik after finishing up degrees (esp reading intense degrees like Law School-my cousin was told to wait till she finished).

Reading makes you nearsighted. I kid you not. Studies on Eskimos after they were taught to read showed this.

Also why some lasik people suggest getting lasik after finishing up degrees (esp reading intense degrees like Law School-my cousin was told to wait till she finished).

My mom tells us we all need glasses because we watch too much TV. :naughty: I'll have to make sure to let her know it's because we were all book nerds

My mom tells us we all need glasses because we watch too much TV. :naughty: I'll have to make sure to let her know it's because we were all book nerds

Pretty much everyone in my family wears glasses. Three of my daughters do, yet the librarian daughter does not. I've worn glasses since I was about 7 or 8, but my PhD husband didn't wear glasses until he was about 35 or 40. (My younger brother has me beat; he was wearing glasses at 6 months old.) My daughters' husbands all wear glasses and one of my granddaughters does too. She just got a new prescription which I hope should be much, much better. The pedi ophthalmologist that she saw this time spent a couple of hours with her, testing her thoroughly, and diagnosed her as farsighted. The pedi ophthalmologist that my granddaughter saw before said she was nearsighted. You might think so, but no. No wonder dgd did't like her glasses. They were the wrong prescription! She's 4, btw.

We are all avid readers, btw.

I still can't decide whether the general consensus is greedy or not greedy regarding putting a Kitchen Aid on the wedding registry. I had one on mine and so did all my friends. Though I definitely didn't have $30,000 worth of gifts. My fiance and I had both lived in our own separate apartments before we were to be married and we had a lot of things but still needed things like new dishes (I had my grandmother's hand me down Corningware and he had some cheap target plates) and towels, bedding for the new king sized bed etc. Even with all that we ended up with an oddly small registry and being bullied by BBB and Macy's to "add more things", so of course you end up with some fun items.

I'm not really all that surprised at Ben and Jessa's registry though. It looks exactly like what I'd expect the registry of a 19 year old boy and a sheltered 21 year old girl to look like.

I still can't decide whether the general consensus is greedy or not greedy regarding putting a Kitchen Aid on the wedding registry. I had one on mine and so did all my friends. Though I definitely didn't have $30,000 worth of gifts. My fiance and I had both lived in our own separate apartments before we were to be married and we had a lot of things but still needed things like new dishes (I had my grandmother's hand me down Corningware and he had some cheap target plates) and towels, bedding for the new king sized bed etc. Even with all that we ended up with an oddly small registry and being bullied by BBB and Macy's to "add more things", so of course you end up with some fun items.

I'm not really all that surprised at Ben and Jessa's registry though. It looks exactly like what I'd expect the registry of a 19 year old boy and a sheltered 21 year old girl to look like.

I don't think it's necessarily greedy to have a few expensive items on a registry. At least in my family, sometimes a few aunts & uncles will join up and buy a more expensive, quality gift. :)

There's a line though. :lol: Don't be like my BIL & SIL who thought it was acceptable to put two $1200 and $1000 televisions on their registry along with a washer and dryer set and over $2000 in fine china and glassware. Of course these are the people who had business cards made up with their registry info and were passing them out to everyone, even at an office picnic a good 10 months before the wedding, no matter if the person was going to actually be invited to the wedding or not. :angry-banghead:

FWIW, they got 3 of their fancy glasses and none of the rest of any of their $$$ items. :shrug:

There's nothing wrong with expensive items. But don't be greedy. If someone wanted one $400 mixer fine, but if they wanted 5, $400 mixers that's greedy

My Artisan with its plastic gears is still running strong...12 years old, I use it 3-4 times a week, every week.

The only people I know who didn't register for a Kitchen Aid mixer are the ones who already owned one. At least in my circle, that is standard wedding registry stuff.

At least I feel better about the Kitchen Aid. For a second I thought I missed something in wedding gift etiquette lol Our keurig was on our registry too but it was small and not fancy.

My best friend ran into an issue with her registry because her every day dishes were extremely expensive per place setting (she registered at Bloomingdales). She ended up returning her turkey platter and exchanging it for more place settings since after all was said and done she only had two! But even her upscale, Kate Spade registry items weren't like Jessa's greedy guts crazy list.

I remember a scientist saying something like, "What's natural about staring at and interpreting tiny symbols for hours on end?" He wasn't knocking reading, obviously, but just making the point that it does have consequences.

Someone else told me (I haven't looked it up in the scientific literature yet) that birth order and maternal age is also a significant factor in whether one is nearsighted. That actually holds up in my family--growing up I was the only one in my family among my generation who wore glasses, and most of the mothers gave birth in their 20s. The current generation of children--most born to mothers well over 30, almost all wear glasses.

The only people I know who didn't register for a Kitchen Aid mixer are the ones who already owned one. At least in my circle, that is standard wedding registry stuff.

I didnt register for a kitchenaid stand mixer because they are nothing compared to the amazing Breville Stand Mixers. Lower cost with better construction. Those Aussies know what they are doing. BTW Breville makes the best blenders :)

Wow! I just looked at Jessa's registry and they really did register for an overwhelming boatload of things! do you think some of those items may have been for the TTH??? Or JB is providing them with one his mega house specials!

Archived