IGNORED

The "food stamp fridge"

Three and Done

Smartphones are also very cheap, often free, with a contract or even from prepaid services.

And fwiw, the free goverment programs don't offer smart phones with them. So if you see someone with a non flip phone, odds are very good they might have a government phone. I have a friend who volunteered at an after school program for needy families, she often helped people fill out foodstamps/medicaid/wic paperwork... most of the people who wanted to sign up were older people, as the younger ones often already had a phone plan (with a "nice" phone) that would be just too much to get rid of.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I first saw the "food stamp" picture (the one I saw says "no job + welfare" on one side and "hardworking taxpayer" on the other), the first thing that popped into my head was "that's a Mexican [family's] fridge!" That's what our fridge looked like when we had another family living with us, and that's what my aunts' fridges look like when other aunts/uncles + family are living with them. There are two cartons of eggs on two separate shelves, and there's a jar of 'La Costeña' jalapeños. Mexican fridge [emoji6] It's quite possible that two (or more) families share that fridge.

Does the WIC program have a higher income cutoff than other assistance programs? Last year I saw a woman paying with WIC coupons while sporting a $500 Michael Kors purse/satchel thing. I couldn't help but be a judgy bitch about it. I didn't say anything but I did make a WTF face. I try not to judge people on food stamps or WIC because we used to be on both of those but that day I couldn't help myself. I'm not saying that people don't deserve to have "nice" things, but I can't reconcile how someone who doesn't make much (they qualify for assistance--I assume they don't make much) can afford an expensive-ass purse. [Feel free to rip me a new one about this (hopefully in a nice way) -- I still feel judgy about it even though I don't know this woman's life and/or circumstances and I'd really like to climb out of this small ignorant hole I dug.]

First, would you prefer she starved? Would you feel in any way worse about life or unhappier or ashamed if people were dying of hunger all around you? Quite possibly you would, wouldn't you? So yes, you benefit from these programs, bcause they make your life easier and more comfortable. You don't have to know starving people are out there, you don't have to see the emaciated children, you don't have to worry about a desperate mother jumping you for your groceries as you go to the car late at night.

If you lost all forms of income tomorrow, would you sell all your clothes, furniture, electronics, accessories, etc before applying for food stamps, even knowing you'd get a fraction of their value, and you'd have to repurchase them at full price as soon as you had income again?

Have you ever donated anything nice to goodwill? Someone bought that thing for $5.

Ever been given a nice gift by your mother that you could never have afforded otherwise? I have.

First, would you prefer she starved? Would you feel in any way worse about life or unhappier or ashamed if people were dying of hunger all around you? Quite possibly you would, wouldn't you? So yes, you benefit from these programs, bcause they make your life easier and more comfortable. You don't have to know starving people are out there, you don't have to see the emaciated children, you don't have to worry about a desperate mother jumping you for your groceries as you go to the car late at night.

If you lost all forms of income tomorrow, would you sell all your clothes, furniture, electronics, accessories, etc before applying for food stamps, even knowing you'd get a fraction of their value, and you'd have to repurchase them at full price as soon as you had income again?

Have you ever donated anything nice to goodwill? Someone bought that thing for $5.

Ever been given a nice gift by your mother that you could never have afforded otherwise? I have.

No, I don't want anybody to starve. I'm not sure what part of my post you took as me even remotely insinuating that. I think the story I shared was a case of "I never received anything expensive from anyone when I was poor so the thought of others receiving expensive gifts when they're down on their luck didn't cross my mind." I've never been given a nice gift by my mom that I could never have afforded otherwise, as she can't afford such things for herself or her children.

When we were on food stamps, we still lived in a nice house, I still drove my Mustang. I have lots of nice clothes but most of them came from the Goodwill in Paradise Valley AZ. I had a smart phone, an ipad, all that stuff...that was bought and paid for when I was making somewhere north of 60K a year. We were on foodstamps for about 6 months until our financial situation improved a bit.

People want to look sideways at me...let them. I don't need to spill my life story to them. I have a husband that served his country for 24 years, and who damn near died. If it wasn't for food stamps and the ACA, he would have. Anybody wants to talk smack to me, I don't care.

When we were on food stamps, we still lived in a nice house, I still drove my Mustang. I have lots of nice clothes but most of them came from the Goodwill in Paradise Valley AZ. I had a smart phone, an ipad, all that stuff...that was bought and paid for when I was making somewhere north of 60K a year. We were on foodstamps for about 6 months until our financial situation improved a bit.

People want to look sideways at me...let them. I don't need to spill my life story to them. I have a husband that served his country for 24 years, and who damn near died. If it wasn't for food stamps and the ACA, he would have. Anybody wants to talk smack to me, I don't care.

I think stories like these, and the other examples on this thread, help some of us understand what may be going and help avoid jumping to conclusions. I've never been on food stamps, WIC, etc. as an adult. I could try to picture myself in that situation, but if I've never actually been through it, it's difficult. (I'm not excusing the behavior I exhibited, nor other people's jumping to conclusions.) I think of myself as generally open-minded, but there are times where my inner Republican comes out and thinks disgusting crap (like the story I shared). Hopefully one day I won't even notice when someone is paying with WIC Coupons, let alone what they're wearing, sporting, or driving. Not saying I'll be ignorant to people's plights, though.

Also, I'm not saying it's anybody's job to educate the ignorant, so I hope nobody takes my post that way. I do feel like it's my job, though, to 'educate' my family in such matters, or at least open their minds to different possibilities. I try to but sometimes I'm not very good at it -- I just failed miserably last week at trying to explain to someone why abuse victims stay with their abuser and why it's not okay to automatically assume a woman (e.g., Janay Palmer) stayed because she's a 'gold digger' (but that's another story for another thread).

No, I don't want anybody to starve. I'm not sure what part of my post you took as me even remotely insinuating that. I think the story I shared was a case of "I never received anything expensive from anyone when I was poor so the thought of others receiving expensive gifts when they're down on their luck didn't cross my mind." I've never been given a nice gift by my mom that I could never have afforded otherwise, as she can't afford such things for herself or her children.

I was criticized recently by a relative that our financial situation must actually be really good since I went to a Paul McCartney concert and my husband and I had a getaway including Major League Baseball tickets on Labor Day weekend. The concert ticket, the baseball tickets, and the hotel room for the weekend getaway were all gifts from my father as a gratitude for the time I spend caring for my parents that has prevented me from finishing my degree or getting a regular job. He gave those things instead of cash because he felt like we needed the break and some fun times, too. And he is so right about that. (And my parents routinely give us cash, anyway--it buys almost all of our food).

I'm going to another pretty expensive concert next month. My best friend bought the ticket for me because I can't go otherwise and she doesn't want to go with someone else.

We all need to remember that we just never know why people have what they have or where those things came from. Some of us are lucky enough to have generous people in our lives in bad times.

I think stories like these, and the other examples on this thread, help some of us understand what may be going and help avoid jumping to conclusions. I've never been on food stamps, WIC, etc. as an adult. I could try to picture myself in that situation, but if I've never actually been through it, it's difficult. (I'm not excusing the behavior I exhibited, nor other people's jumping to conclusions.) I think of myself as generally open-minded, but there are times where my inner Republican comes out and thinks disgusting crap (like the story I shared). Hopefully one day I won't even notice when someone is paying with WIC Coupons, let alone what they're wearing, sporting, or driving. Not saying I'll be ignorant to people's plights, though.

Also, I'm not saying it's anybody's job to educate the ignorant, so I hope nobody takes my post that way. I do feel like it's my job, though, to 'educate' my family in such matters, or at least open their minds to different possibilities. I try to but sometimes I'm not very good at it -- I just failed miserably last week at trying to explain to someone why abuse victims stay with their abuser and why it's not okay to automatically assume a woman (e.g., Janay Palmer) stayed because she's a 'gold digger' (but that's another story for another thread).

I grew up nicely middle class, never wanted for anything. I never expected that I'd be homeless with 3 kids at the age of 33. I never expected that I'd be fighting for my husband's life and panicking when we lost our insurance. Shit happens and sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm not a professional moocher...Hell, I've paid more in taxes in one year than I've ever gotten in benefits. When I'm working I make damn good money. But, I got laid off, and things got scary.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't judge. You don't know the circumstances. Most of us are one illness or one layoff away from welfare. Some of us are shitting bricks if we lose our medical coverage because it means that a loved one with a serious but manageable illness could die w/o the necessary medications (my husband has no pancreas and is a brittle type 1 diabetic). When we are making good money, we live WAY below our means...I like nice things, but for example...my mustang is 10 years old. I have Coach and Michael Kors and Fossil bags and shoes. I know where the outlets are, and have picked up some almost brand new stuff from Goodwill. My smart phone was paid for with a bonus a year ago. So, if I pull out that Quest card...don't look at me and make assumptions. You don't know.

I grew up nicely middle class, never wanted for anything. I never expected that I'd be homeless with 3 kids at the age of 33. I never expected that I'd be fighting for my husband's life and panicking when we lost our insurance. Shit happens and sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm not a professional moocher...Hell, I've paid more in taxes in one year than I've ever gotten in benefits. When I'm working I make damn good money. But, I got laid off, and things got scary.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't judge. You don't know the circumstances. Most of us are one illness or one layoff away from welfare. Some of us are shitting bricks if we lose our medical coverage because it means that a loved one with a serious but manageable illness could die w/o the necessary medications (my husband has no pancreas and is a brittle type 1 diabetic). When we are making good money, we live WAY below our means...I like nice things, but for example...my mustang is 10 years old. I have Coach and Michael Kors and Fossil bags and shoes. I know where the outlets are, and have picked up some almost brand new stuff from Goodwill. My smart phone was paid for with a bonus a year ago. So, if I pull out that Quest card...don't look at me and make assumptions. You don't know.

What is awful is that all of the judgement and people like my aunt who regard getting benefits as "theft" from taxpayers lead some people to believe that they need to avoid getting benefits that would help them through difficulties like yours. I have a friend from college whose husband was severely injured in a car accident four years ago. He is wheel chair bound and unable to work. But somewhere along the way, the family went from being average Catholics to fundagelicals (I suspect a long ago move to the South had something to do with that) and instead of accessing benefits available to them to survive in their circumstances (with three kids at home), they have decided they are "morally obligated" to avoid "taking money from the government" and have tried to make it with help from church and family. She regularly posts on FB about problems with bill collectors or running out of food. :angry-banghead:

I wish I could find the break down of who receives food stamps, I used them a couple years ago. If I remember correctly that 65% of the people who use SNAP and WIC are employed, 10% or more are people on Social Security,and 8% are families that are in the military. I am glad that my taxes are going to support these programs.

...The point I'm trying to make is, don't judge. ...

That's a good point and that's exactly what I'm trying not to do. And if I'm in the store and someone with me makes the same judgment I made, I can reply with the same: you and I don't know their story, so we shouldn't make conclusions just by what little we see.

It's not that hard to dress nicely while being poor. It's called shopping at thrift and dollar stores. Dollar General doen't make clothe in my size but they do have cheap clothes, purses, earrings cosmetics, DIY fake nails, and baby stuff. Also flea markets are a good place to find costume jewelry and purses.

I wonder how many of those who think assistance should come from churches and charities would actually donate to them. NOT A SINGLE FUCKING ONE! Those people believe if your poor and homeless it's your own fault. A lot of the also believe in giving based on how good of a Christian you are. Well, newsflash! Life happens! All it takes is one illness, injury, or natural disaster to wipe you out financially. As for the Christian part. I suggest the high and mighty re-read their Bibles and play close attention to the words in red to see what Jesus had to say.

These ignorant, holier-than-thou assholes who are against public assistance disgust me. They are cold-hearted, mean, greedy, hateful people, and need to be taken down a couple of notches. Fuck the....just fuck them!

When you judge people receiving assistance that is the judgement you're making. You, maybe subconsciously, are choosing that you'd prefer people go without and be appropriately punished than just given the cash when they need it.

Just like fundies wanting no birth control so women can be appropriately punished for sex, stigmatising people on public assistance is your way to punish people for 'bad choices'. It's an attitude which is common in Russia, so I wonder if it's more common in areas where there were Russian immigrants way back when? It's very ingrained in many people, this attitude that cutting off your nose will show that darn face it can't get away with things!

When you judge people receiving assistance that is the judgement you're making. You, maybe subconsciously, are choosing that you'd prefer people go without and be appropriately punished than just given the cash when they need it.

Just like fundies wanting no birth control so women can be appropriately punished for sex, stigmatising people on public assistance is your way to punish people for 'bad choices'. It's an attitude which is common in Russia, so I wonder if it's more common in areas where there were Russian immigrants way back when? It's very ingrained in many people, this attitude that cutting off your nose will show that darn face it can't get away with things!

We'll agree to the disagree. Additionally, I don't think people on assistance are on it due to 'bad choices.' It is true for some, but that's not true for all. And while it may sound like I want people 'punished' (whatever that means), that certainly wasn't my thought process. I don't wish 'punishment' or starvation for anyone and it's a bit unsettling that you think that. If people make a bad judgment, that doesn't necessarily make them monsters. I'm not out there actively seeking cuts to welfare programs, or asking my congress people to implement mandatory drug testing, or requesting that the food stamp program have a cut off time. Yes, what I thought that day was pretty disgusting, but your generalization that everyone thinks that way ALL that time and wants ALL people on assistance to starve or live in a dump or whatever is not warranted.

In my state, as an "able bodied", childless adult not taking care of an elderly or disabled person, I qualify for medicaid (which has the slowest enrollment process in the universe) and foodstamps only. One must have a child to qualify for cash assistance, and there is a time limit on that. There is no time limit on medicaid and foodstamps.

People just won't let go of the idea that people on assistance are lazy moochers.

i haven't finished reading the rest of the thread, but in pa, i was able to get medicaid, food stamps, and cash assistance as a childless, single person who was technically homeless. they called it "temporary disability" and i had to have my psychologist fill out forms for me every so often to renew it.

in ohio, same circumstances, i couldn't get anything unless i was pregnant or already had disability (which means i would have to go through the whole disability process, which can take forever and i didn't want to go through because i didn't want to because i knew i didn't need it! i just needed help! i guess for others, they're sol until they're approved). funny thing, they kept all my information of course...and after some new regulations came in, i was - months and months later - approved for "family planning" medicaid, which means reproductive stuff is covered and that's it, no other medical stuff. of course, by that point, i was working and almost done with school :D and had insurance of my own through my job. whatever lol i just laughed and laughed when i opened that letter.

Does the WIC program have a higher income cutoff than other assistance programs? Last year I saw a woman paying with WIC coupons while sporting a $500 Michael Kors purse/satchel thing. I couldn't help but be a judgy bitch about it. I didn't say anything but I did make a WTF face. I try not to judge people on food stamps or WIC because we used to be on both of those but that day I couldn't help myself. I'm not saying that people don't deserve to have "nice" things, but I can't reconcile how someone who doesn't make much (they qualify for assistance--I assume they don't make much) can afford an expensive-ass purse. [Feel free to rip me a new one about this (hopefully in a nice way) -- I still feel judgy about it even though I don't know this woman's life and/or circumstances and I'd really like to climb out of this small ignorant hole I dug.]

To answer the question, I think that WIC generally does have a higher income cutoff than food stamps. My sister's family qualifies for quite a bit of assistance through WIC (actually, they often end up with more than they need of certain foods), but they don't qualify for food stamps.

They do spend some money on non-essentials. They have cable (mostly for her husband [sports], but they also use it to record shows), and what my sister says about it is that it is one of the only things they splurge on (true!) and that it's just not worth it to get rid of one of the only luxuries they have... and that one of the few relaxing, every day things they do together is watch a few TV shows after the kids are in bed.

It's very difficult these days to get anything but a smart phone. I don't have one (yet) because I don't particularly care about phones and I'm a SAHM, so my internet access is available through our wifi. I will need to get a new phone soon, tho (my dinosaur isn't working that well any more), and I have looked at the options - 97% of the phones are smartphones.

still not done with the whole thread yet...but, back when i was still on assistance (but while i was finally in a duplex trailor, thanks to now ex-fiance's meager job), my current cell phone (a free one) was going to pot. it would drop calls and turn off randomly, it would lock up and freeze and i'd have to take the battery out to get it to work. thing is, i didn't have a car at the time, so if there was an emergency, i needed to be able to contact somebody.

it was around that time the iphone 4s came out, so the 3gs dropped down to free with an upgrade (and later only climbed to $1.99 w/upgrade). we had an upgrade available, and since i needed a new one, why not get a phone i knew was going to be good and reliable instead of one that might go on the fritz within months?

when i moved to ohio, i ended up with roommates, one of them having gone through a cosmetology school (didn't get certified, her mother discouraged her from doing anything with her knowledge cuz it was "dead end" according to her). so i was able to indulge in having my nails done for the occassional cost of getting the supplies.

when you're poor, you don't want to LOOK poor. it sucks. it doesn't feel good. why would you want to?

okay, finished now :) and just a few more things to add...

i think there are some serious problems with priorities in this country. my dad (the only person financially able to do this) refused to pay for college for me. BUT i couldn't fill out a fafsa application and not list my parents income until i was 24. i tried before (and only listed my mum's, since they were divorced and she made far less) and i was declined help. i hadn't lived with my parents since right before i turned 20. they didn't support me in any way. so i often wondered why did i have to list them that long? it was ridiculous, i didn't WANT to keep drawing assistance, as it often wasn't enough anyway, but i felt that i was forced to in order to get by until i could get into school (which didn't help my depression and anxiety issues). while a degree or certificate isn't always a guarantee of a good job (as right now, i'm barely making it work from paycheck to paycheck and actually barely technically working in what i was trained for lol) but i think it's a good stepping stone, and completing something does make you feel much better about yourself (i know it was a great confidence booster to know i'd completed something...especially when my dad said i never would, which is why he didn't want to "waste his money").

imo, good education is an investment for the future, an investment america needs to make for its children, teens, and adults. there will always be those who abuse the system, but why deny others advantages and benefits because of the few who will abuse it? that benefits no one.

okay, finished now :) and just a few more things to add...

i think there are some serious problems with priorities in this country. my dad (the only person financially able to do this) refused to pay for college for me. BUT i couldn't fill out a fafsa application and not list my parents income until i was 24. i tried before (and only listed my mum's, since they were divorced and she made far less) and i was declined help. i hadn't lived with my parents since right before i turned 20. they didn't support me in any way. so i often wondered why did i have to list them that long? it was ridiculous, i didn't WANT to keep drawing assistance, as it often wasn't enough anyway, but i felt that i was forced to in order to get by until i could get into school (which didn't help my depression and anxiety issues). while a degree or certificate isn't always a guarantee of a good job (as right now, i'm barely making it work from paycheck to paycheck and actually barely technically working in what i was trained for lol) but i think it's a good stepping stone, and completing something does make you feel much better about yourself (i know it was a great confidence booster to know i'd completed something...especially when my dad said i never would, which is why he didn't want to "waste his money").

imo, good education is an investment for the future, an investment america needs to make for its children, teens, and adults. there will always be those who abuse the system, but why deny others advantages and benefits because of the few who will abuse it? that benefits no one.

The financial aid regulations are so ridiculous. Right now, the only ways someone can be considered independent are based on age, military service, or emancipation (possibly another option or two). If someone's from a family that can't (or won't) help but aren't in the low-income bracket, they're screwed. And this is part of the reason so many people don't have a chance; they can't pay for college on their own, their parents can't/won't help, and scholarships are few, far between, and VERY competitive.

I was declared independent due to age and military service, and I've STILL had to take out ridiculous amounts of loans. I'm not thinking about how much money I'm going to pay back and how long it will take.

The financial aid regulations are so ridiculous. Right now, the only ways someone can be considered independent are based on age, military service, or emancipation (possibly another option or two). If someone's from a family that can't (or won't) help but aren't in the low-income bracket, they're screwed. And this is part of the reason so many people don't have a chance; they can't pay for college on their own, their parents can't/won't help, and scholarships are few, far between, and VERY competitive.

I was declared independent due to age and military service, and I've STILL had to take out ridiculous amounts of loans. I'm not thinking about how much money I'm going to pay back and how long it will take.

even with fafsa and another grant, i still had to get gov't subsidised loans, which i can't afford to pay back right now with the bills i have and the money i make. it's deferred until next year. i'm hoping i can get enough back in taxes to to pay off my car by that point, so i can drop down my insurance to bare bones instead of the required full-coverage and then i can start paying (interest is still building, but i can't do anything about that).

I haven't seen the food stamp meme in awhile, but when I first saw it, I couldn't believe anyone would get angry over that. I wish every single person on food stamps could have a fridge that looked like that, chock-full of food, and mostly good stuff too...milk, juice, fresh meat, fresh fruit/veg. I can't believe anyone could call themselves a decent human being and be mad that some poor kids had access to food like that.

Meanwhile, the "hard working taxpayer" fridge looked like one belonging to someone who eats all their meals out. And there is nothing wrong with that if it suits you and you can afford it, but it's certainly not worth feeling angry/entitled over.

10450898_10152433335938432_2324501815348540662_n.jpg?oh=ff278cd278b4ce26a922837eba6b3ad4&oe=54CDD659&__gda__=1422779196_b6c88b96a382e833483406358863c017

This is the version of the meme I saw. The food stamps person just has a ton of crap/unhealthy food because of course poor people never buy or eat anything other than store bought cookies and chips!

even with fafsa and another grant, i still had to get gov't subsidised loans, which i can't afford to pay back right now with the bills i have and the money i make. it's deferred until next year. i'm hoping i can get enough back in taxes to to pay off my car by that point, so i can drop down my insurance to bare bones instead of the required full-coverage and then i can start paying (interest is still building, but i can't do anything about that).

I'm right there with y'all. My mother's alcholism and mental illness drove me out of the house at 17. I earned a full ride to a state school only to find I had to forfeit because my mother refused to submit a fafsa. It didn't matter that I worked 2 jobs during high school to pay for my own apartment, or that I could prove I was financially independent of her. I was advised to only to become independent was to marry, have a child, become emancipated, or join the military. It was a horrible blow to do everything "right", yet get punished anyway. So I married a year later in order to go to school on my own dime. I've met so many people in similar circumstances. There must be changes to this system. It's a crippling roadblock.

You know, the "food stamp fridge" looks like my fridge when I was using food stamps...And had two roommates. And MOST of what was in the fridge was theirs! (I went with non-perishables or pre-cooked and then froze soup and things; only one serving of that was in the fridge at a time). One of the "crisper" drawers was mine, and that bottom shelf in the freezer.

I had the better part of a bookshelf in my room full of canned/boxed items, though, because they were cheap and didn't expire.

YUCK! The "food stamp" fridge would drive me CRAZY! I hate hate hate hate hate overstuffed spaces. Especially food. And it's disorganized! Put the eggs together! Put the bottles in the door! I'd take the middle class fridge any day, over a fridge with whatever that is on the bottom shelf that appears to be uncovered and growing mold.

I was on food stamps once. It wasn't bad and I never experienced any shame. Probably because everyone who shopped in my grocery store was also on assistance. I think there needs to be reform (not cuts), because I honestly received more money than I knew what to do with. I also think it's stupid that I can buy $250 of ice cream if I wanted, but couldn't pick up a precooked chicken.

Archived