IGNORED

The "food stamp fridge"

Three and Done

So sad. This is what everyone should be reading who posts that stupid meme. $11 for a bag of apples is sadly, pretty accurate. Once when i was using WIC it cost me about $1 over the $6 allowance to put one more apple in the bag. So thankful that we have apple trees now, even if the applesauce does turn out tasting like healthy sour patch candy. :lol:

LOL - once I accidentally grabbed 4 organic apples instead of the regular ones and the total was almost $9! Almost passed out when the cashier scanned them.

I am also ashamed to admit I used to be one of those judgey people. :embarrassed: My wake up moment occurred when I was 22 and right out of college. My starting salary would be considered high in a lot of places, but in the DC area, it barely covered rent (for a tiny studio apartment), gas, and food. I was in the grocery store line one day, with my non-instant oatmeal, store-brand pasta, cheap cuts of chicken and canned veggies. The lady ahead of me was well-dressed with lots of expensive jewelry. She had 2 separate sets of food. The first one was things like cheap cereal, rice, beans, eggs, etc., and she used food stamps. The second was expensive cuts of meat, lots of fresh produce, brand names items, gourmet food, etc., and she paid cash for it

I looked at my meager stuff and got judgey until she told the clerk to use paper for one set and plastic for the other (yes, this was back in day) because one set was for her elderly neighbor and the other set was for her. That was my big wake up call! Just because you're using food stamps doesn't mean they're for you!

I also firmly believe that everyone deserves a treat once in a while so you want to use your food stamps to buy Haagan Daaz ice cream bars? Go for it! And, if you have kids, chances are that they're going to refuse to eat generic bran flakes over Lucky Charms or something more expensive/less nutritious. And when you're rushed in the morning, getting ready for school and work, you have to pick your battles.

Don't even get me started on the whole "it's just as cheap to eat healthily." I've done both and believe me, eating a healthy diet is a lot more expensive. Yes, you can make beans and rice, but there's only so much of that you can take. And even the price of cheaper fruit, like bananas and apples, sky-rocketed. OJ prices are outrageous. And most people who use FS probably work long hours, maybe have kids, have health issues, take care of a sick spouse, etc, and just don't have time to make cheaper meals from scratch. Who's going to buy whole-wheat pasta, cheese, extra milk, etc, to make mac & cheese when you can buy a box of Kraft for $1 and have it ready in 10 mins?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have all had our judgey moments. Many people learn that there are various reasons to why some people are on food stamps or other forms of government assistance. Yes, there have been cases of people abusing the system, but those cases aren't a huge percentage.

I have seen the food stamp fridge thread on my FB feed a few times. The people who have posted are relatives and one of them my cousin's husband has described himself as a Reganite(grew up in the 80s with Republican parents) My cousin's husband has said some pretty hateful things about homeless people in the past and at a family event last year, another relative tried to bring up the fact that many homeless people are suffering from mental illness. He didn't want to listen to it.

As Louisa85 points out citing her aunt, I think many of those who complain about food stampsor gov assistance have never been in that situation. Ironic how Fundies and other conservatives complain but none of them turn down child tax credits, school vouchers, donations from random strangers or help from churches and other sources. I fail to see the difference in applying for assistance and gettign help from other places. GOP had many chances to fix the system before Clinton.

Here is a rundown of the US budget. The percentage spent on safety net programs in 2013 is a whopping 12%. I didnt see a reason to break tis link.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1258

As Louisa85 points out citing her aunt, I think many of those who complain about food stampsor gov assistance have never been in that situation. Ironic how Fundies and other conservatives complain but none of them turn down child tax credits, school vouchers, donations from random strangers or help from churches and other sources. I fail to see the difference in applying for assistance and gettign help from other places. GOP had many chances to fix the system before Clinton.

Here is a rundown of the US budget. The percentage spent on safety net programs in 2013 is a whopping 12%. I didnt see a reason to break tis link.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1258

That is the crux of the problem. Most people complaining about aid programs the loudest don't understand because they've never been in a situation where outside assistance is needed. This is basically the reason that I switched from conservative to liberal. If the GOP wants to have supporters they need to be giving compassionate solutions to these problems. Instead they're letting the tea party and platforms like Fox News holler condescending, inaccurate diatribes. Better solutions to the welfare problems are coming from people on both sides, but liberals make providing help more of a point, and thus win voters who've been in desperate places in their lives at some time.

That is the crux of the problem. Most people complaining about aid programs the loudest don't understand because they've never been in a situation where outside assistance is needed. This is basically the reason that I switched from conservative to liberal. If the GOP wants to have supporters they need to be giving compassionate solutions to these problems. Instead they're letting the tea party and platforms like Fox News holler condescending, inaccurate diatribes. Better solutions to the welfare problems are coming from people on both sides, but liberals make providing help more of a point, and thus win voters who've been in desperate places in their lives at some time.

Bullshit. I've never been in that situation, and I have no trouble seeing that being homeless and/or starving to death would really suck. Anyone who can't is both stupid and a raging asshole and deserves a few years under a bridge eating out of a McDonald's dumpster before washing in the bathroom at their 40 hr a week min wage cleaning job.

Bullshit. I've never been in that situation, and I have no trouble seeing that being homeless and/or starving to death would really suck. Anyone who can't is both stupid and a raging asshole and deserves a few years under a bridge eating out of a McDonald's dumpster before washing in the bathroom at their 40 hr a week min wage cleaning job.

I think some people are too damn stupid to put themselves in someone else's shoes or really think through things that they have no personal experience with. Some people live in their own little bubble of privilege and never think beyond it.

I think some people are too damn stupid to put themselves in someone else's shoes or really think through things that they have no personal experience with. Some people live in their own little bubble of privilege and never think beyond it.

Yes! Bubble of privilege is exactly what i was trying to describe. Thanks for putting it in better terms.

I've gotten food stamps a couple of times in the past. Yes, people get nasty at times over it. This last time, some arrogant broad who was behind me in line said "you're welcome" when I paid w/my food card (they were very recognizable in Arizona). I turned and told her she was welcome for my husband's 24 years of military service and my son's 5 years of service. She visibly shrunk in front of me.

We got just about 300 dollars per month in aid. Thank God I'm a decent cook. That was when I made up a "recipe" for a chicken chili/stew that would feed the two of us for a week at a time.

Now I'm totally broke...and have to wait for my first paycheck from my new job. I'm living for free in corporate housing but it doesn't include food. Thank God for those years of being broke. I can make rice, beans, cheese and tortillas last forever!

I've gotten food stamps a couple of times in the past. Yes, people get nasty at times over it. This last time, some arrogant broad who was behind me in line said "you're welcome" when I paid w/my food card (they were very recognizable in Arizona). I turned and told her she was welcome for my husband's 24 years of military service and my son's 5 years of service. She visibly shrunk in front of me.

Thanks to your family for your service and for possibly the best comeback ever!

I've told this story before but just a quick recap...foster parent here..at one point I had 2 one year olds. Wisconsin pays $285 a month to foster parents per child and WIC if they are under 5. It's our responsibility to cover the rest, diapers, clothes, extra food. WIC checks for us were doubled and under each child's name, so they had to be rung up separately. Big pain in the ass! One day at the store they had lobster on sale...$5.98 each to be precise. And so I bought 4 one for me, my SO, my son and one to split between the toddlers. Why? Because they were on sale and we have enough money to splurge a little. Of course, a judgy woman was behind me as the rung through my 5 orders...glaring and huffing about some people. The cashier asked me how old the littles were...I said well they are 25 days apart, and just over 1. She looked at me a little oddly, I said they are my fosters...very loudly the cashier says omg you are fostering these babies. People who foster are so special. Judgy person behind me had to rethink the lobster issue!

That said, I do think WIC should be changed off of the checks. You can't tell me that with all the advanced technology they could figure out a better system.

One of my best friends is disabled due to HIV. He gets $15 a month in food stamps. Fortunately, gay marriage is illegal in our state so his partner's good income is not counted. Therefore, he can afford to eat while maintaining his Medicaid, Medicare and SSDI. He only keeps the food stamps because his caseworker is afraid it will look weird to refuse them.

I also think stupidity is a factor for many people and their attitudes regarding the issues of food stamps and assistance. My cousin's husband that I previous in a previous post, is someone who I would describe as being intelligent on certain things, but a idiot on other things. My cousin's hubby is computer engineer and as made good money for a long time. I don't think he can picture what other people go through when they are dealing with job loss, medical issues, and other difficult. I know others that are like that. We see this kind of stupid thinking with a lot of these fundie bloggers. Idiots Lori Alexander and NieNie are prime examples of being in bubbles of privilege. Lori and Ken both mentioned not having much money in the beginning which I believe, but I think they had Lori's parents as a safety net.

Many people these days have family members as safety nets and I can't fault them for that because my parents have helped my sister out financially after her son's father left. My sister acknowledges the help my parents give her, but I have seen and heard my sister say some nasty things about women on government assistance. My sister works as a administrator at a outpatient pediatric clinic within a teaching hosptial. A good portion of people who take their kids to that clinic are people on Medicaid. My sister has said that she has seen these women with smart phones and manicures taking their kids into the clinic for minor things. She says that they are on Medicaid and other forms of assistance. My sister has thrown out the "welfare queen" label when describing those women. I have told my sister that maybe those women have had to resort to government assistance because they don't have anyone to help them. My sister never responded to that. I don't get along with my sister for other reasons. Whenever she is around, I don't talk much to her, but I was recently annoyed with her when she ranted against WIC on FB. My sister's ex bf hasn't paid child support in years and she hasn't gone after him for that. That is another complicated story that annoys me.

I have a friend who had her daughter while in college. My friend received child support, but she had trouble making ends meet while working. She and her daughter lived with her parents for a few years. My friend contributed what she could to household expenses and my friend is still very grateful to her parents for helping her out while she finished college. My friend acknowledges that she had help which other people may not have.

When I first saw the "food stamp" picture (the one I saw says "no job + welfare" on one side and "hardworking taxpayer" on the other), the first thing that popped into my head was "that's a Mexican [family's] fridge!" That's what our fridge looked like when we had another family living with us, and that's what my aunts' fridges look like when other aunts/uncles + family are living with them. There are two cartons of eggs on two separate shelves, and there's a jar of 'La Costeña' jalapeños. Mexican fridge [emoji6] It's quite possible that two (or more) families share that fridge.

Does the WIC program have a higher income cutoff than other assistance programs? Last year I saw a woman paying with WIC coupons while sporting a $500 Michael Kors purse/satchel thing. I couldn't help but be a judgy bitch about it. I didn't say anything but I did make a WTF face. I try not to judge people on food stamps or WIC because we used to be on both of those but that day I couldn't help myself. I'm not saying that people don't deserve to have "nice" things, but I can't reconcile how someone who doesn't make much (they qualify for assistance--I assume they don't make much) can afford an expensive-ass purse. [Feel free to rip me a new one about this (hopefully in a nice way) -- I still feel judgy about it even though I don't know this woman's life and/or circumstances and I'd really like to climb out of this small ignorant hole I dug.]

When I first saw the "food stamp" picture (the one I saw says "no job + welfare" on one side and "hardworking taxpayer" on the other), the first thing that popped into my head was "that's a Mexican [family's] fridge!" That's what our fridge looked like when we had another family living with us, and that's what my aunts' fridges look like when other aunts/uncles + family are living with them. There are two cartons of eggs on two separate shelves, and there's a jar of 'La Costeña' jalapeños. Mexican fridge [emoji6] It's quite possible that two (or more) families share that fridge.

Does the WIC program have a higher income cutoff than other assistance programs? Last year I saw a woman paying with WIC coupons while sporting a $500 Michael Kors purse/satchel thing. I couldn't help but be a judgy bitch about it. I didn't say anything but I did make a WTF face. I try not to judge people on food stamps or WIC because we used to be on both of those but that day I couldn't help myself. I'm not saying that people don't deserve to have "nice" things, but I can't reconcile how someone who doesn't make much (they qualify for assistance--I assume they don't make much) can afford an expensive-ass purse. [Feel free to rip me a new one about this (hopefully in a nice way) -- I still feel judgy about it even though I don't know this woman's life and/or circumstances and I'd really like to climb out of this small ignorant hole I dug.]

You don't know how long she had that purse or how she got it. Someone could have handed it down to her. It could have been a gift. It could have been five years old and she lost her job since then. She could have lost her job three months ago after she got that purse. She could have got it at a thrift store or garage sale.

We have no money (but don't qualify for any benefits). I feed two adults on $50 a week. I have a very nice designer purse. I got it at an outlet with Christmas money before my husband's job went away and he got a new one with a 1/3 pay cut. Spending that Christmas cash on a pricey purse was okay when I got it. Now it wouldn't be. But I am still carrying it. I have another pricey designer purse that was handed down to me by a friend who didn't like the color after she had used it for a few months. It was free to me. So, again, you don't know how someone got the things they have.

I am not going to rip you because you are asking for perspective. You don't know that the purse wasn't a $10 fake she bought on the street. I work at a social services agency that serves 25,000 very poor people a year. Tons of our clients have fake Coach, LV, Gucci, etc. Some of it is pretty damn good. I actually bought a $20 D&G fake once that was not only totally current but had incredible double stitching, luxurious lining and details!

Also, she could be recently disabled. The purse could have been from a part of her life when she was more flush with money or a gift from an admirer, the product of good thrifting or a discard from a wealthy friend. There are a million reasons why she might have had it. It may have been the only nice thing in her entire life. She could have saved $5 a month for years in a jar and collected loose change where ever she saw it. You need to let go, walk in her shoes and make me something from your Mexican kitchen. We will all be happier that way. :dance:

I've told this story before but just a quick recap...foster parent here..at one point I had 2 one year olds. Wisconsin pays $285 a month to foster parents per child and WIC if they are under 5. It's our responsibility to cover the rest, diapers, clothes, extra food. WIC checks for us were doubled and under each child's name, so they had to be rung up separately. Big pain in the ass! One day at the store they had lobster on sale...$5.98 each to be precise. And so I bought 4 one for me, my SO, my son and one to split between the toddlers. Why? Because they were on sale and we have enough money to splurge a little. Of course, a judgy woman was behind me as the rung through my 5 orders...glaring and huffing about some people. The cashier asked me how old the littles were...I said well they are 25 days apart, and just over 1. She looked at me a little oddly, I said they are my fosters...very loudly the cashier says omg you are fostering these babies. People who foster are so special. Judgy person behind me had to rethink the lobster issue!

That said, I do think WIC should be changed off of the checks. You can't tell me that with all the advanced technology they could figure out a better system.

In TX it is a card, which is fantastic, because checks will have odd combinations that HAVE to be purchased at the same time. The state we're in now still does the checks. They were going to switch recently and decided not to, because it would mean laying off quite a few of the staff. So they decided to keep going with the system as it is.

I'll resist the urge to rip you a new one here. I often use my WIC checks and then pay for the rest of the money with the debit card I keep in my $250 Coach wallet. I didn't buy it, though...my parents gave it to me for my college graduation. I have a decent amount of name brand clothes, shoes, etc...but I bought those back when I was a college student who could "afford" to blow money on stupid crap rather than budget for diapers.

That being said, WIC does have a higher income limit than other programs. We qualify for WIC and nothing else.

:embarrassed: I hadn't actually thought about saving up for, or buying a fake, purse, or having it gifted or handed down. It's easy to sometimes think "I used to be poor and I never had designer/brand-name stuff, so why do you have it?" A bit of jealousy, I admit.

I apologize if my post about my judgy-ness offended people or pissed people off. That was not my intent. I do appreciate the feedback.

:embarrassed: I hadn't actually thought about saving up for, or buying a fake, purse, or having it gifted or handed down. It's easy to sometimes think "I used to be poor and I never had designer/brand-name stuff, so why do you have it?" A bit of jealousy, I admit.

I apologize if my post about my judgy-ness offended people or pissed people off. That was not my intent. I do appreciate the feedback.

It's ok. Don't feel bad. People often don't think about the reasons people who currently don't have a lot of money might have nice things. It's really common though, particularly since the economic crash. There are a lot of people who used to be very comfortable--until they weren't.

Fwiw, they tend to be the hardest to work with...learning to live poor tends to be really difficult for people who have always had more than enough.

And WIC does have a much higher limit than most programs, so you'll have teachers, store managers, technicians etc. who qualify. Some affordable housing programs also have higher limits,

I also think stupidity is a factor for many people and their attitudes regarding the issues of food stamps and assistance. My cousin's husband that I previous in a previous post, is someone who I would describe as being intelligent on certain things, but a idiot on other things. My cousin's hubby is computer engineer and as made good money for a long time. I don't think he can picture what other people go through when they are dealing with job loss, medical issues, and other difficult. I know others that are like that. We see this kind of stupid thinking with a lot of these fundie bloggers. Idiots Lori Alexander and NieNie are prime examples of being in bubbles of privilege. Lori and Ken both mentioned not having much money in the beginning which I believe, but I think they had Lori's parents as a safety net.

Many people these days have family members as safety nets and I can't fault them for that because my parents have helped my sister out financially after her son's father left. My sister acknowledges the help my parents give her, but I have seen and heard my sister say some nasty things about women on government assistance. My sister works as a administrator at a outpatient pediatric clinic within a teaching hosptial. A good portion of people who take their kids to that clinic are people on Medicaid. My sister has said that she has seen these women with smart phones and manicures taking their kids into the clinic for minor things. She says that they are on Medicaid and other forms of assistance. My sister has thrown out the "welfare queen" label when describing those women. I have told my sister that maybe those women have had to resort to government assistance because they don't have anyone to help them. My sister never responded to that. I don't get along with my sister for other reasons. Whenever she is around, I don't talk much to her, but I was recently annoyed with her when she ranted against WIC on FB. My sister's ex bf hasn't paid child support in years and she hasn't gone after him for that. That is another complicated story that annoys me.

I have a friend who had her daughter while in college. My friend received child support, but she had trouble making ends meet while working. She and her daughter lived with her parents for a few years. My friend contributed what she could to household expenses and my friend is still very grateful to her parents for helping her out while she finished college. My friend acknowledges that she had help which other people may not have.

I didnt mean to apply ALL who have never been in these situations think that way. I guess assumptions can be made both ways.

I have to admit guilt on thinking the same thing about 'the welfare queen' or 'king' thing. Around here, you heard things about kids on assistance wearing name brand sports team jackets and Nike shoes. I have grown up since then and stopped paying attention to GOP.

Cell phones arent luxury items anymore. A Smart Phone could be that persons only worthwhile possession or a gift. The manicure could have been from a friend or relative for free.

I didnt mean to apply ALL who have never been in these situations think that way. I guess assumptions can be made both ways.

I have to admit guilt on thinking the same thing about 'the welfare queen' or 'king' thing. Around here, you heard things about kids on assistance wearing name brand sports team jackets and Nike shoes. I have grown up since then and stopped paying attention to GOP.

Cell phones arent luxury items anymore. A Smart Phone could be that persons only worthwhile possession or a gift. The manicure could have been from a friend or relative for free.

And sometimes - as I've previously mentioned on other topics - people who HAVE been in that situation will judge others regardless. I think it just depends how compassionate someone is. Like, I mentioned the work colleague who talked about going to the Jobcentre in a shirt and tie, whereas everyone else was - shock horror! - in tracksuits. He then threw out the tired old UK stereotype of "girls getting pregnant to keep out of the workplace". I did ask if he'd spoken to every single one of these girls and got official confirmation from them that they even had babies, let alone conceived them so they can stay on the dole. And even if that's the case, it takes two to make a baby, so why don't the babies' dads get equal condemnation??? (Not that I'm suggesting anyone should be condemned). He also tried to use a Daily Mail article he had once read to try and back up his facts, and couldn't understand why I wouldn't take anything he said seriously after that.

But yeah, much as I hate people who don't understand making ignorant comments - at least you know that's precisely why they're ignorant about it. They have never walked a mile in someone else's shoes, although, as you say, at least most people who haven't have the sense and decency to refrain from judgment about things they know nothing about. Whereas the guy I mentioned above is a hypocrite because he will happily take all the help that's available while labelling others as scroungers when he's got no evidence that their circumstances are any less deserving than his. Just because of outward appearance. He may appear an outwardly respectable man, but I think he needs to have more of a heart and accept that we're all different. I asked how he would have liked it if someone had made assumptions about him, and that's when he came out with his shirt and tie comment. The thing is, I'm signing on at the moment and I don't wear a suit for that either. If someone wants to do that, then fine, but I don't think it makes me less worthy or deserving of help if I turn up in casuals! (On Thursday, I signed on wearing my Clash T-shirt, jeans and Converse trainers, aren't I a bad person!) The thing is, most of us have only got the one smart suit and we need to keep it nice and clean for when we've got an actual job interview.

When everything is falling apart in their world sometimes appearance is the only thing they have control over. No wonder they may get a friend to do their hair or nails or try to look as fashionable as possible. I've been on assistance and in our state the hoops to jump through are pretty difficult, they check up on requirements. Imo it's better to see a person who qualifies have pride in their appearance than be so looked down on and depressed that they don't care anymore.

Not to mention that most jobs are advertised and applied for on the internet, and a smartphone might be an individual's best option for making job applications and receiving phone calls from potential employers.

Not to mention that most jobs are advertised and applied for on the internet, and a smartphone might be an individual's best option for making job applications and receiving phone calls from potential employers.

It's very difficult these days to get anything but a smart phone. I don't have one (yet) because I don't particularly care about phones and I'm a SAHM, so my internet access is available through our wifi. I will need to get a new phone soon, tho (my dinosaur isn't working that well any more), and I have looked at the options - 97% of the phones are smartphones.

Archived