IGNORED

Josh Beasley

debrand

Guest Anonymous
it is not any different that being called a TWAT, or a troll, or whatever other names I've been called on this thread. Just because I said the word faggot does not make me a homophobe.

Ja sure :violin:

If it looks like a twat and smells like a twat it is a twat. If you talk and walk like a fundy homophobe you are one. Your use of a homophobic pejorative ensures that you are in fact a homophobe. Now that I've settled that distinction lets move forward.

Now about that eye for an eye business, why is Josh exempt?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because I said the word faggot does not make me a homophobe.

You called Austin a faggot as an insult. This implies that being a faggot is not a good thing. Since I'm assuming you weren't referring to a dish made from pork offal or a bundle of sticks, you were saying that being gay is wrong. Therefore, you are a homophobe.

Were the above sentences short and simple enough for you to understand?

it is not any different that being called a TWAT, or a troll, or whatever other names I've been called on this thread. Just because I said the word faggot does not make me a homophobe.

Do you think that calling someone a f***ot is the same as calling someone a twat or a troll? It'd be just as bad as calling someone a n***er. I don't know how old you are, but mature, tolerant adults know never, ever to use those words. Anyway, that was an interesting choice of insult from someone who claims not to be a homophobe. Wouldn't you assume that someone who calls another person a n***er as an insult is a racist? No one would use it as an insult unless they were racist.

I think it's about time to hear about how this person has a gay friend, and if she has a gay friend, she can't possibily be a homophobe.

I think it's about time to hear about how this person has a gay friend, and if she has a gay friend, she can't possibily be a homophobe.

I think we've got a flouncer. :techie-hiding:

Okay, this is obviously not a popular opinion, but I feel sorry for Joshua Beasley, too. When I read his letter from jail, my immediate thought was that he was desperately grasping onto God's forgiveness because he feels so guilty. I did not take it the way everyone has. Also, I never got any feeling that he was an regretful newlywed (they seemed very happy to me) and I just think he HAS to be consumed with guilt. I know I would be. Living with what he did has to be torture. I am not saying he does not deserve punishment, just that I do feel for him, even though what he did was so, so stupid, careless, foolish, idiotic, dangerous, and indefensible. And I hope that when he does get out of prison he is not allowed to go near a gun. I also think her family is right in that this was no accident, it was preventable. Their anguish and grief is unimaginable. I would probably have wanted a lot more prison time if it had been my daughter. But, whether he deserves it or not, I do feel for Joshua. Maybe it is just because of how bad I would feel if I were him, but I am sorry for him and cannot imagine living with the guilt he has.

Okay, this is obviously not a popular opinion, but I feel sorry for Joshua Beasley, too. When I read his letter from jail, my immediate thought was that he was desperately grasping onto God's forgiveness because he feels so guilty. I did not take it the way everyone has. Also, I never got any feeling that he was an regretful newlywed (they seemed very happy to me) and I just think he HAS to be consumed with guilt. I know I would be. Living with what he did has to be torture. I am not saying he does not deserve punishment, just that I do feel for him, even though what he did was so, so stupid, careless, foolish, idiotic, dangerous, and indefensible. And I hope that when he does get out of prison he is not allowed to go near a gun. I also think her family is right in that this was no accident, it was preventable. Their anguish and grief is unimaginable. I would probably have wanted a lot more prison time if it had been my daughter. But, whether he deserves it or not, I do feel for Joshua. Maybe it is just because of how bad I would feel if I were him, but I am sorry for him and cannot imagine living with the guilt he has.

Yes, it's an unpopular opinion, and while I don't agree with you, I can see where you're coming from. However, I want to thank you for not admonishing everyone who doesn't feel sorry for him and acting like we're all horrible monsters for talking about it. Sarahisahomophobe take note. This is what normal people would do.

Guest Anonymous

There's a huge difference between this and what Sarahisawesome did. I totally get what you're saying even if I don't feel bad for the guy. You didn't come in screaming about how people have no right to have thoughts because you don't agree with them. Stating a well thought out opinion is not likely to get you lambasted even if it's an opinion that's in the minority. On the other hand, telling everyone that they should be ashamed of themselves and tossing out homophobic slurs is not well received.

Guest Anonymous

keeperrox, are you me?

I've been crossposting with you all evening and it's getting a little eerie how much I agree with you.

keeperrox, are you me?

I've been crossposting with you all evening and it's getting a little eerie how much I agree with you.

Heh, I know, I was just thinking the same thing. ;) Plus, the whole art thing. Eerie.

Guest Anonymous

Heh, I know, I was just thinking the same thing. ;)

Oh dear God, we're being assimilated into the Hive Vagina! Nooooooo! Quick, someone start talking about peanut butter or wearing shoes in the house so we can have a brawl.

If you look back through the blogs of some of the other families in their community, you get the impression that Josh and Alaina weren't as fundie as some of the other people we snark on. She went to college, worked at Starbucks, she wore pants. They seemed to had more of a dating relationship where they chose each other, as opposed to the more parent directed process we often see. They did things like swing dancing and tandem bike riding / mountain bike riding together (in skin tight shorts no less) before they were married. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to make the case that this was a case of him wanting out of a marriage he was forced into. There are so many photos of them on various blogs, and they looked besotted with each other in all of them.

Which is why I feel sorry for him. No matter how much his family and community forgives him, he has to live with the fact that the woman he loved is no longer around because of his actions. His wife died in pain, because he acted like a stupid, unthinking little boy. If anything, I blame the culture around him, that infantilises men, and divorces them from many of the consequences of their actions. I think it's just that he served a prison sentence and it probably should have been a bit longer, although if memory serves correctly, Alaina's family didn't want to push for a longer one. Ultimately, I doubt the state can punish him any more than what he'd be going through himself. To echo the sentiment of some other posters, I couldn't live with myself if I'd done that to my husband.

"It just kills him …" said Caleb Beasley

:scared-whoa: What a remark to make!

I personaly live in a society where gun ownership is very restricted and am very thankful about it. You can't get a licence only for personal safety reasons. One has to present the circumstances which the board does or does not deem threatning. The only "easier" way for obtaining a licence is for hunting or sports but even then you have to comply to certain rules and pass the phycological test.

Photos of parents taking their kids practice shooting give me chills.

Guest Anonymous

I'd agree that I too couldn't live with myself if I'd killed another human being. The problem that we're snarking on is that what Josh Beasley said was that he was struggling to live without was his Thanksgiving Dinner. Anna Beasley (his sister) wrote a post days after the killing, praising God that all Alaina's dreams had come true because her shooting had transported her to heaven. And Caleb Beasley (his brother) said on Josh's release something like "What is he expected to do - sit in a corner and cry for a year?".

The entire family has a massive lack of empathy and appropriate mourning behaviour and I think they are damned lucky that Alaina's parents fought for the charge to be reduced from manslaughter. . Alaina's father was absolutely right when he said the shooting was no 'accident' and was entirely preventable.

This year, on the anniversary of Alaina's birthday 'sillypippi' Anna Beasley invited blog readers to drink Alaina's favourite Starbucks drink in honour of her life. Then she invited readers to correct her because she might have forgotten what that drink was. The stupid and disrespectful seems to be unbounded in that family.

I'd agree that I too couldn't live with myself if I'd killed another human being. The problem that we're snarking on is that what Josh Beasley said was that he was struggling to live without was his Thanksgiving Dinner. Anna Beasley (his sister) wrote a post days after the killing, praising God that all Alaina's dreams had come true because her shooting had transported her to heaven. And Caleb Beasley (his brother) said on Josh's release something like "What is he expected to do - sit in a corner and cry for a year?".

The entire family has a massive lack of empathy and appropriate mourning behaviour and I think they are damned lucky that Alaina's parents fought for the charge to be reduced from manslaughter. . Alaina's father was absolutely right when he said the shooting was no 'accident' and was entirely preventable.

This year, on the anniversary of Alaina's birthday 'sillypippi' Anna Beasley invited blog readers to drink Alaina's favourite Starbucks drink in honour of her life. Then she invited readers to correct her because she might have forgotten what that drink was. The stupid and disrespectful seems to be unbounded in that family.

Agree. When I read Anna's "correct me if I'm wrong" line I was stumped. And I'm usually all for remaining yourself in all circumstances but WTF. Was it so difficult to check the flavor of her favorite drink for a post mortem tribute?!

Guest Anonymous

Also, is it common in the States to hold mobile phone conversations while driving? It's illegal over here, anyway so I was shocked by this one... On day after the first anniversary of Alaina's killing, Anna wrote a blog about another brother being taken to hospital after a car accident, which they found out about in real time, because he was talking on his mobile while it happened. Praise the Lord!!!!eleventy!!! that no-one was hurt!!!!

I see what you're saying Austin, and it certainly seems that may have been what happened in Couty Alexander's case. I just don't see the evidence for it with Josh Beasley. I'm certainly not trying to defend his actions, believe me. I think he's reprehensible as a human being. I just don't see any real evidence, much less proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that he acted with any premeditation.

Pointing a gun at his wife and pulling the trigger was certainly volitional, which is different from accidental, like cleaning the gun and having it go off. I view it as about the same level of culpability as a drunk driver who kills someone.

I agree with you. There isn't enough physical evidence to support a case of premeditated murder. Plus, Josh is a white, Christian male with no known history of violence and a large supportive family. He doesn't fit many people's perceptions of a killer so the state would need a much stronger case.

My own opinion is that there is more to the story than Josh has said but my opinion woudn't hold up in court.

What even is an "intruder game"?

Apparently, he carried a gun through the house, pretending to find and kill intruders. When he saw his wife in the kitchen, she pointed an imaginary gun at his head and he took his REAL gun and purposely pointed it at her and shot her.

There are just so many parts of his story that don't make sense.

He said he loaded the gun the night before and 'forgot' it was loaded. Why was his wife playing the part of an intruder? That makes no sesne to me. Wouldn't she be with him if there was an intruder? Why would an adult use a real gun in such a game? If his wife made an imaginary shooting motion at him, than wouldn't that mean that the game was over and she won? Why didn't she have a gun too? He took a gun safety course so he understood that you don't put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot the gun.

Also, is it common in the States to hold mobile phone conversations while driving? It's illegal over here, anyway so I was shocked by this one... On day after the first anniversary of Alaina's killing, Anna wrote a blog about another brother being taken to hospital after a car accident, which they found out about in real time, because he was talking on his mobile while it happened. Praise the Lord!!!!eleventy!!! that no-one was hurt!!!!

It sounds as if the family has a problem with following safety rules. There is an arrogance in assuming that you and other people will always be safe no matter what stupid crap you pull.

Most people would be thankful that no one was hurt but they'd also be mad at themselves for being stupid.

By the way, the second link that I posted in the original article has photos of the family pointing guns at the camera. How stupid can you be? Most gun owners know that you never point any gun at another person. You treat all guns as if they are loaded. You don't play with guns and you never put your finger on the trigger unless you plan on shooting the gun

If I had pointed a gun at somebody I loved, pulled the trigger, and shot them point blank in the chest killing them. I would never forgive myself. I would also not only expect to be sent to jail, I would WANT to do serve time. Going to jail for years is the least I could do to make up for my stupidity. His expectations that he shouldn't have to receive any punishment for killing his wife is what irks me.

I think that's what gets me too. They seem to think that they did her a favor by killing her, because she's in heaven now and that Josh is the real victim, because God meant for this to happen and "called her home."

Yes, he is supposd to sit in a corner and cry for a year. He killed his wife. He's supposed to feel guilt and anguish over it. He's showing more angush over not getting Thanksgiving dinner than he is that he killed his wife.

I agree with you. There isn't enough physical evidence to support a case of premeditated murder. Plus, Josh is a white, Christian male with no known history of violence and a large supportive family. He doesn't fit many people's perceptions of a killer so the state would need a much stronger case.

My own opinion is that there is more to the story than Josh has said but my opinion woudn't hold up in court.

I agree that there's no proof, and certainly not anything that would come close to meeting the prosecutor's burden should they have tried this case as 2nd degree or manslaughter. So I think this was dealt with appropriately within the justice system.

I am not saying that I "know" he killed his wife on purpose. I know no such thing. It just would not surprise me, for the reasons I've already stated, and I think it is a pretty slick way to get away with it, especially if he knew that his wife had mentioned to others or made note of the "intruder game".

I think that everyone who has commented on the culture that facilitated him acting so immaturely is completely correct.

I was always told dont ever point a gun at anything you do not intend to kill but yet, we always as children also seemed to be able to make the connection between - a clearly toy gun, and a clearly-kill you if you get shot-gun. hell, at the same time i was playing cowboys and indians with little cap guns, i was shooting my fathers 22 rifle.

Lets play a game (because its relevant to this thread and I'm curious what you guys think).

Daddy parks car in driveway with a downward slope and runs inside for a "second", leaving 8 year old junior in the still running car. Junior fucks around with the car, it rolls backwards, crashes into a tree and kills sister (also in the car). Prosecute daddy?

Sleep deprived new mom gets a call from daddy that he's stuck at the train station and the car wont start. Its only a mile away... Baby is still nursing and daddy wants to get home NOW. Mom decides to drive without a seat belt so baby can continue nursing. Falls asleep, crashes, kills baby. Mom has bruises but is healthy. Prosecute mom?

I think that these are examples of "crimes" where people we love are "lost." A married man who knowingly points a gun at his wife (loaded or unloaded), puts his finger on the trigger and PULLS the trigger is a different story. To those of you who have fired guns, you know that the "pull" on a loaded gun feels different than an unloaded one. Someone who knows their gun knows what it feels like loaded - and knows that they damn well better clear the fucking slide before they point it at any living creature.

Do I think he intended to kill her? No. Did his dumbass actions result in her death - absofuckinglutely. Did he deserve to spend time in a "holding tank of felons". Hell yes. That being said, his "pity me" attitude is very common among true criminals. Nothing is ever their fault. There is a joke that says you know your sane if you question your sanity, the same goes for criminals. If you can question your own innocence and accountability you are not criminaly minded.

A true letter of thanksgiving from a rehabilitated or accountable criminal would thank the family and friends for their support DESPITE their heinous actions. They would account their stupidity, noting that they understand the errors of their ways and profess to teach others about gun safetly. They would appologize for how hard this has been on their family and friends, the media... the pain... but no... its all about ME ME ME ME ME

I remember reading the first "silly pippi" post when he got out about how awesome he was riding his bikes and thought "wow, he got over prison fast." Maybe his family never really let him be there because he "lost" his wife and thats punishment enough. Sorry, the law gets a pound of flesh as well.

Archived