IGNORED

Josh Beasley

debrand

Lets play a game (because its relevant to this thread and I'm curious what you guys think).

Daddy parks car in driveway with a downward slope and runs inside for a "second", leaving 8 year old junior in the still running car. Junior fucks around with the car, it rolls backwards, crashes into a tree and kills sister (also in the car). Prosecute daddy?

Sleep deprived new mom gets a call from daddy that he's stuck at the train station and the car wont start. Its only a mile away... Baby is still nursing and daddy wants to get home NOW. Mom decides to drive without a seat belt so baby can continue nursing. Falls asleep, crashes, kills baby. Mom has bruises but is healthy. Prosecute mom?

I think that these are examples of "crimes" where people we love are "lost." A married man who knowingly points a gun at his wife (loaded or unloaded), puts his finger on the trigger and PULLS the trigger is a different story. To those of you who have fired guns, you know that the "pull" on a loaded gun feels different than an unloaded one. Someone who knows their gun knows what it feels like loaded - and knows that they damn well better clear the fucking slide before they point it at any living creature.

Do I think he intended to kill her? No. Did his dumbass actions result in her death - absofuckinglutely. Did he deserve to spend time in a "holding tank of felons". Hell yes. That being said, his "pity me" attitude is very common among true criminals. Nothing is ever their fault. There is a joke that says you know your sane if you question your sanity, the same goes for criminals. If you can question your own innocence and accountability you are not criminaly minded.

A true letter of thanksgiving from a rehabilitated or accountable criminal would thank the family and friends for their support DESPITE their heinous actions. They would account their stupidity, noting that they understand the errors of their ways and profess to teach others about gun safetly. They would appologize for how hard this has been on their family and friends, the media... the pain... but no... its all about ME ME ME ME ME

I remember reading the first "silly pippi" post when he got out about how awesome he was riding his bikes and thought "wow, he got over prison fast." Maybe his family never really let him be there because he "lost" his wife and thats punishment enough. Sorry, the law gets a pound of flesh as well.

Truer words never spoken.

I know everyone grieves in their own way, but has this family or Josh even grieved for this young woman that was in the family? I mean he acts like he broke a unwanted toy that Great Aunt Mable bought him and makes him play with everytime she visits but he doesn't act like a person who lost their wife... or even lost by his own hand. He just comes across like "oh well."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

In court, Josh is reported to have said:

In court, he apologized to Alaina Beasley's family.

"From the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry for what happened. If there's anything I could change what happened, I would," he said.

He said he can understand why they might not be able to forgive him.

"Sometimes, I can't forgive myself," he said. "I hope the Moores can move on. I hope they're satisfied. I hope this helps them with their grieving process."

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/21106267/detai ... z1VrFjLvLD

From the things that Josh, Anna and Caleb Beasley have said, they seem to be people entirely caught up in themselves. I mean, WTF? Who in their right mind would tell a the grieving family of the woman you shot down dead, would dare to suggest they 'move on'? Only 'sometimes' he can't forgive himself? And he admits this publicly? Really?

I can't remember who the handslapper of this thread was, but I can't see any words on this thread that could be more offensive than anything the Beasleys themselves have said.

I definately agree that the whole Beasley clan does not sound like people I would want to hang out with AT ALL. I've had a hate/hate (read: fascination) relationship with them for a while now. They are, like most fundies when it comes down to it, self absorbed fools.

But should people, as a principle, judge the way others grieve? I won't go into whether the killing was perhaps intentional. The judge gave his ruling so I go by that since there is no way of knowing otherwise.

Is it more important to just let yourself come through a tough situation in any way you can (and want) or is it more important to mind the other griever's feelings and show compassion where you can? Ideally you do both but when you're already a fool to begin with is it just too much to expect and does that make it OK to judge? I feel comfortable in snarking on Josh's or Anna's personality but that covers it for me. Regardless of the incredibly sad and tragic situation.

Guest Anonymous

My major issue is not so much with how they experience their own grief, but given that Josh was responsible for the killing, not an innocent bystander, then I would have expected him to show greater prudence in how he expresses publicly his feelings about his inlaws, and show a hell of a lot more respect for the Moore family's own grief.

So yeah, I do judge his public behaviour, and if I were close to him, I'd advise him to just stick to saying 'sorry' and stay out of expressing a wish for his FIL to 'move on'. If I were advising young (16 or 17 at the time) Alaina on how best to help things with her blog, I'd suggest whisking off most of the content of the Thanksgiving letter, and all of the post-release biking photos, and just not to do 'memorial' posts unless she is willing to spend the 10 mins or so necessary for researching the facts. And as for Caleb - I'd recommend some gaffer tape over his lips whenever in media company.

You're thinking of Anna, Alaina is the victim.

I get what you're saying. I was just trying to express that it boils down to them being morons, with or without the tragic situation. It's just too much to expect for them to suddenly "show greater prudence in how he expresses publicly his feelings about his inlaws, and show a hell of a lot more respect for the Moore family's own grief".

I'm betting more than half of our favorite fundies would have issues in this area, with either over or under expressing their compassion towards others. It is, after all, what the Lord wanted for to happen.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, sorry, I meant Anna Beasley's blog.

I agree with you that the problem was there long before the shooting.

If we gave a pass to every fundie that was also a moron, there'd be no FJ, really, so I'm not sure what to say to your comment about that. :)

Oh, I don't want to give them a pass at all. I want to snark on them regardless of the situation, just for existing. :D

I guess I'm an equal opportunity snarker.

This is such a tough subject and I don't wanna make light of it. Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I don't expect prudency in my fundies. And pointing a finger at the lack of, in this situation and on this forum, just feels like saying: see, we told you so. I don't perceive it as helpful because the problem goes way beyond the current situation.

Oh, and just to be clear, I don't think anyone here shouldn't have written what they did. I was just talking about myself and my own snark.

Can someone tell me if I have all the connections figured out correctly? Josh Beasley is the brother of Dan Beasley, who is married to Bethany Wissmann, who blogs here: bloggingbeth.blogspot.com/ and is the daughter of the Wissmanns, who blog here: wissmanns.blogspot.com/

Yeah?

It is hard for us to judge how he (and his family) are grieving. Media can misconstrue things and make his attitude seem different that it truly is. I don't doubt he made the statements, but they could have been in a different context that how the media portrays it.

I would agree that his actions were stupid, and he never should have pointed a gun, loaded or unloaded, at her. And I am sure he would agree that his actions were incredibly stupid and he is having to pay the price by serving jail time and living the rest of his life without his wife. I would guess that he is probably harder on himself than any of us could ever be. This is such a horrible, heart breaking situation.

It is hard for us to judge how he (and his family) are grieving. Media can misconstrue things and make his attitude seem different that it truly is. I don't doubt he made the statements, but they could have been in a different context that how the media portrays it.

Normally, I totally agree with this. Anything the media says is usually suspect in my mind, especially as far as quoting people out of context. But this isn't just from media reports. It's on their blogs. The stuff about Josh being sad to miss Thanksgiving and all of that came from actual letters he wrote to his family that were posted on their blogs. And frankly, Anna Beasley seems to have a way of making the tragedy either All About Herself or All About Josh and was insensitive enough on her blog to say that Alaina's dream came true b/c she went to Heaven. The worst stuff isn't even what they said in the media. It's what comes straight from them, with no intermediary.

Normally, I totally agree with this. Anything the media says is usually suspect in my mind, especially as far as quoting people out of context. But this isn't just from media reports. It's on their blogs. The stuff about Josh being sad to miss Thanksgiving and all of that came from actual letters he wrote to his family that were posted on their blogs. And frankly, Anna Beasley seems to have a way of making the tragedy either All About Herself or All About Josh and was insensitive enough on her blog to say that Alaina's dream came true b/c she went to Heaven. The worst stuff isn't even what they said in the media. It's what comes straight from them, with no intermediary.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. Maybe I just want to give them the benefit of the doubt (I have no idea why) But that could also be how they grieve. Anna is looking at the more positive side of the situation, or so it would appear to the public. Fundys tend to do that.

I can't imagine spending a holiday that is centered around being thankful, and things we have to be thankful for, in jail. For him, I can see how that would be miserable. Especially after losing his wife, then having to spend holidays alone. So for him to say the things he said in his letter doesn't surprise me. I'm sure it sucked balls to be in there alone, knowing the the love of his life was dead because of his stupid judgement.

I don't know. I'm feeling rather optimistic this morning, so maybe that is why I feel for them. haha ;)

I'd agree that I too couldn't live with myself if I'd killed another human being. The problem that we're snarking on is that what Josh Beasley said was that he was struggling to live without was his Thanksgiving Dinner. Anna Beasley (his sister) wrote a post days after the killing, praising God that all Alaina's dreams had come true because her shooting had transported her to heaven. And Caleb Beasley (his brother) said on Josh's release something like "What is he expected to do - sit in a corner and cry for a year?".

This.

Also, his use of the idea of an afterlife chills me.

I'm no expert on Christianity. But, just like the difference in how people interpret the idea that humans are born in sin (the contrast between "but you are saved by grace" and the Pearls' "it then follows that you must beat that sin out of your children), I see a difference in the way some folks interpret the idea of an afterlife.

For some, it seems to be a lovely possibility, a bonus, if it's true. For some, it's a strong belief, but only to be had after enjoying a long life here on earth, doing the best they can. For some, it's a way to give themselves strength when life is hard.

But for Josh, it seems to be an excuse to shrug off the fact that he killed someone.

To say "this life matters not -- I look forward to meeting my loved ones in Heaven" when one is referring to one's own hardships is one thing. To say it when one has killed someone else is entirely different. It almost implies he did her a big favor.

I don't think we're talking about judging any ole' person on how they grieve. We are judging how the guy that killed this young woman seems to be processing his actions. Mostly, I see him talk about himself and I see his family talk about how this affects him/them. If there was no intention in the shooting, I'm sure he regrets his actions, and beyond that, no one can really say what he feels. I personally think it's irrelevant, but it does make him look like a douchebag to complain about his living situation and his thanksgiving dinner. Yeah, dude, when you shoot someone and kill them, lodging and meals are probably not going to be up to par for awhile. Booza-hooza.

He and his whole family seem supremely self-absorbed.

I would guess that he is probably harder on himself than any of us could ever be.

The evidence on his family's blogs does not support this.

ummm last time I checked, when someone dies.. the people they love lose them... not matter HOW the person dies... faggot. Have a heart.

Oh, dear, and we JUST had the rugs cleaned. It never fails.

And a derogatory name to boot! Ladies and gents, we've hit the rug-shitting jackpot today. Thank heavens for that regular-use discount FJ got from Stanley Steamer. :roll:

And a derogatory name to boot! Ladies and gents, we've hit the rug-shitting jackpot today. Thank heavens for that regular-use discount FJ got from Stanley Steamer. :roll:

I think it might be cheaper in the long run to buy our own rug steamer. As often as we have to use it and all but this last job really did call for the pros to come in and clean. What a mess.

I wouldn't wish the cleaning job on anyone, even the person who shat in the first place. I'll chip in for the pros. :mrgreen:

"My cellmate is a pagan witch, I am locked up with 500 drug dealers, rapists, and other felons."

SO SAYS THE MURDERER WHO KILLED HIS OWN WIFE!!!

Alaina's family said:

"We struggle every day to understand why Josh decided to pick up a loaded shotgun, safety off, without checking it, and point that weapon at the one he vowed to love and protect; but then to pull the trigger -- we find those actions absolutely inexcusable...We requested (prosecutors) reduce the original charge to the lowest possible felony charge. None of our actions have been in pursuit of revenge, but out of a desire for justice for Alaina."

http://www.ketv.com/r/21106267/detail.html

I don't think we're talking about judging any ole' person on how they grieve. We are judging how the guy that killed this young woman seems to be processing his actions.

Aren't those two basically the same thing?

Usually the closest relatives of a deceased person are given some slack due to circumstances. As much as the Beasley attitude doesn't make me comfortable, the fact is that they don't make me comfortable at all regardless of Alaina's death. It makes me a bit hesitant to snark in this thread. On any other Beasley subject I would be more inclined to rip them to shreds.

Yes, he did kill her, which makes things much more complicated. But I think it comes down to either-or. Either you believe that he did it as a product of a twisted society, reclusive upbringing and self absorbed foolishness, in which case it's still terrible but in a "f... it, that's the way things turn out sometimes" way. Or you don't believe it, which makes it A WHOLE lot different.

Aren't those two basically the same thing?

Usually the closest relatives of a deceased person are given some slack due to circumstances. As much as the Beasley attitude doesn't make me comfortable, the fact is that they don't make me comfortable at all regardless of Alaina's death. It makes me a bit hesitant to snark in this thread. On any other Beasley subject I would be more inclined to rip them to shreds.

Yes, he did kill her, which makes things much more complicated. But I think it comes down to either-or. Either you believe that he did it as a product of a twisted society, reclusive upbringing and self absorbed foolishness, in which case it's still terrible but in a "f... it, that's the way things turn out sometimes" way. Or you don't believe it, which makes it A WHOLE lot different.

I don't think it is either/or. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like murder, but you can't just point a gun at someone and pull the trigger and walk free by saying "It was an accident". Only someone with a great sense of entitlement thinks that.

His letter from prison is also odious. Not really a christ-like attitude is it, to hold yourself superior to the other poor sinners? He could have learned some humility and some compassion for fellow humans, but chose to feel sorry for himself instead.

So, I think there was nothing purposeful about the shooting, but I still think he is a little shit. An example of how christianity in America is becoming increasingly spiritually shallow and producing shallow people. It's like a gated community where everyone inside feels superior, but it is a whited sepulchre.

I don't think it is either/or. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like murder, but you can't just point a gun at someone and pull the trigger and walk free by saying "It was an accident". Only someone with a great sense of entitlement thinks that.

He didn't walk free.

So, I think there was nothing purposeful about the shooting, but I still think he is a little shit. An example of how christianity in America is becoming increasingly spiritually shallow and producing shallow people. It's like a gated community where everyone inside feels superior, but it is a whited sepulchre

I agree with everything you said here. But I think it's a problem of Christianity and superiority and of a spiritually weak society. This case just reflects it, like a lot of other things do.

I know he didn't walk free, but he and his family members didn't think he deserved to go to prison.

America locks up more of its population than the Soviet Union ever did. A lot of these are non-violent offenders. A lot of the offenders he was locked up with didn't have the advantages Beasley had, a supportive family and stable upbringing.

Being in prison or having a relative in prison is not that uncommon, Beasley could have learned something about how the other half lives, but instead insisted on being a special snowflake.

Like the man said, experience is inevitable, growth is optional.

Anna Beasley's statement disturbs me the most.

I have several friends who are fundie lite-maybe evangelical. None of them would make such a statement. Sure, they might comfort someone with the assurance that their loved one is in heaven but to say that someone got their wish by dying? There is no way that statement doesn't come off as arrogant and thoughtless.

Actually, the entire family appears to have a problem with arrogance. There are photos of them pointing guns at the camera as if they were going to shoot the camera man. Despite having a gun safety course, Josh still played a game with a loaded gun and pointed it at his wife.

I'm torn as to whether this was an accident or not but Josh and his entire family aren't just stupid. They seem to believe that they are so self important that normal rules don't apply to them. And as far as I can tell, Josh doesn't seem to have learned anything from his experience.

Archived