IGNORED

Josh Beasley

debrand

Here is a link to the photos of the Beasley family playfully aiming their guns at the camera man

xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/02/foreboding-photos.html

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anna Beasley's statement disturbs me the most.

I have several friends who are fundie lite-maybe evangelical. None of them would make such a statement. Sure, they might comfort someone with the assurance that their loved one is in heaven but to say that someone got their wish by dying? There is no way that statement doesn't come off as arrogant and thoughtless.

I keep trying to (in a twisted way) defend them and end up saying terrible things about them :shifty: but this next one will surely take the cake.

So, and I know I sound mean saying it but Anna has always struck me as emotionally underdeveloped and I got the impression that even her fundie friends don't take her very seriously. I mean, she's EVERYWHERE. There are pics of the Wissmanns performing and she's right along with them. You never see any of her other siblings participating so much or, for that matter, any other nonWissmann girl. There was Kori but she ended up being a Wissmann bride and somehow I don't see Anna turning out the same. I could be wrong of course but she just strikes me as a "sillypippy" aka "different".

He didn't walk free.

I agree with everything you said here. But I think it's a problem of Christianity and superiority and of a spiritually weak society. This case just reflects it, like a lot of other things do.

But the family wanted him to and seem pretty pissed that he didn't. I think that is what makes people snark on them; he is not only so stupid and careless that he pointed a gun at his wife, pulled the trigger and killed her, he and the whole damn family thinks that he should have just walked away from it all without suffering any consequences for his actions.

But the family wanted him to and seem pretty pissed that he didn't. I think that is what makes people snark on them; he is not only so stupid and careless that he pointed a gun at his wife, pulled the trigger and killed her, he and the whole damn family thinks that he should have just walked away from it all without suffering any consequences for his actions.

Which is why they are fundie in the first place. There are no fundies without self entitlement, without them being above us heathens and our common, godless laws.

To repeat a pic I already posted

IMG_1118.jpg

He didn't walk free.

I agree with everything you said here. But I think it's a problem of Christianity and superiority and of a spiritually weak society. This case just reflects it, like a lot of other things do.

He served less time than a lot of people who get busted with drugs do. Whats striking to me is that they still insisted on the felony - albeit the "lowest" felony. He still cant vote or (more importantly) have a gun. I guess making it a misdemeanor would have cheapened her life? I dont know... I think he did pretty much walk.

The media hasnt twisted anything. We have a great snapshot of his psyche through his own words. He's upset that he got prison time and doesnt have his wife. I'm quite sure that he's upset that she died but not because she died - because of the impact it has had on HIS life. I dont see anything about his poor wife and her life cut short. I see "poor me - no wife, prison and internet snarkers"...

He can vote once his parole is done, I believe. (Which I actually support -- I think it's wrong to disenfranchise felons, but that's a different story.)Some states also allow felons to own firearms after a period of time has passed. Frightening, isn't it? The idea of Josh Beasley having a gun again is shudder-worthy -- he obviously at the least has no appreciation for basic gun safety. That I definitely do NOT support.

Aren't those two basically the same thing?

Usually the closest relatives of a deceased person are given some slack due to circumstances. As much as the Beasley attitude doesn't make me comfortable, the fact is that they don't make me comfortable at all regardless of Alaina's death. It makes me a bit hesitant to snark in this thread. On any other Beasley subject I would be more inclined to rip them to shreds.

Yes, he did kill her, which makes things much more complicated. But I think it comes down to either-or. Either you believe that he did it as a product of a twisted society, reclusive upbringing and self absorbed foolishness, in which case it's still terrible but in a "f... it, that's the way things turn out sometimes" way. Or you don't believe it, which makes it A WHOLE lot different.

Uh, "any ole' person" presumably didn't kill the person who is dead, so no, I really don't think it is the same thing. At all.

And while he may have been brought up in a twisted religion, that does not make him any less responsible for his actions. Lots of people grow up in damaging religious traditions and they don't kill other people volitionally.

If you don't feel comfortable snarking, fine. No one is making you do so. But since I think this guy is a total scumbag, I guess we're just going to disagree.

edited for riffle

My gun-nut boyfriend's head would explode upon reading this.

1. You never, ever, store a gun loaded. You unload it before you put it away.

2. You do not ever point it at another human being except in very, very extreme circumstances. A "game" does not count.

3. You do not play "games" with loaded guns.

Three to five years for taking someone's life? Even if he'd killed his wife in a car accident, purely on accident, he would have had a much harsher sentence. He pointed a loaded gun at his wife, either out of malice or stupidity, and wound up killing her. "Playing a game" my ass.

WTF is wrong with this judge?

It's not really the judge -- he was convicted of 2nd degree assault. Three to Five years probably falls within Nebraska's sentencing guidelines fairly neatly.

Guest Anonymous

The wife's parents worked with the family to agree a lesser charge. The 3 year sentence actually came as a shock to the Beasley family who were expecting probation.

I agree with Demgirl, the judgement was appropriate for the conviction. He was just very very lucky to get the lesser charge in the first place.

• 8 months later...

This came up in the Rehm family topic today so here's a news video clip for ophelia. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhnetr ... ports_news

Attorney Sean Brennan, Joshua Beasley's lawyer, is recorded at about 50 seconds into the news report. He gives his reason why the killing of Alaina shouldn't be worth anything more than a probationary period for his client:

I don't see how saying 'we have to send a message to other people' really serves any purpose.

Josh's brother, Caleb Beasley, reacts unfavorably to the judge's sentence of 3-5 years in prison. (Abby Grady of Grady Family Archives blog is Caleb's wife.) Starting at about 1:35 into the news report, he says:

There's a place for mercy and especially when the person affected by the breaking of the law was himself, first of all, I don't see how this [sentencing] helps anything.

A few of Josh's friends were interviewed as well.

Josh did not serve 3-5 years however. He was released by early April 2011. So the value of Alaina's life was just 18 months in prison for the killer, and the Beasleys and their crowd thought even that much was unmerciful to Josh and didn't really serve any purpose.

Josh wasn't officially "out" until March 20, 2012 (as per Facebook posts). It appears the past year was on a probation or parole status.

One troubling thing, which I alluded to in another thread, is the seemingly pervasive gun culture among his family and church. Seems there's an overall issue there of being too casual with weaponry. (Thread where I described his church in more detail: http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?p=271818#p271818)

Josh wasn't officially "out" until March 20, 2012 (as per Facebook posts). It appears the past year was on a probation or parole status.
So, two and one half years of inconvenience for Josh. Did that satisfy the Moores? It wouldn't satisfy me but I hope it satisfied their own sense of justice, for their sake.

First rule of gun safety: Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot that person. He either intended to shoot his wife (murder), or didn't (has no business owning a gun due to his complete disregard for gun safety).

I am usually entertained by threads on FJ, but This thread is disgraceful. I don't even know who he is, but after reading the articles and the letters posted here, I feel deeply sorry for him. The man lost his wife. You people are heartless to criticize someone like this. We don't know him personally, and I for one, cannot even imagine losing my husband especially like that. Whether it was an accident or not, which my guess was it was NOT intentional, we have no right to talk about this guy like this. You all should be ashamed. This is wrong.

I. can't. even.

The wife doesn't have to "imagine losing her husband like that" because SHE IS DEAD. HE KILLED HER (accidentally, volitionally, or premeditatedly, whatever, he stilled killed her).

You are either a troll or and idiot. Try reading a while before you post.

Who has the carpet cleaner?

She hasn't been back since she was called out on that, back last November. :)

Sorry - I didn't even look at the dates. :oops:

Caleb Beasley: "There's a place for mercy [...] especially when the person affected by the breaking of the law was himself [Josh], first of all...."
The person affected first of all by the breaking of the law, which Josh himself broke, was Alaina - and then the entire Moore family. I found Caleb's statement to be grossly shameful and representative of the Beasley family's outlook (and their church's outlook) on the matter.

I. can't. even.

The wife doesn't have to "imagine losing her husband like that" because SHE IS DEAD. HE KILLED HER (accidentally, volitionally, or premeditatedly, whatever, he stilled killed her).

You are either a troll or and idiot. Try reading a while before you post.

Who has the carpet cleaner?

Sorry - I didn't even look at the dates. :oops:
Please don't feel bad, apple. It was suspected that both Sarahisawesome and Haterblocker (who also wrote on this thread) are members of families related to the Beasleys and/or to the Millard Alliance Church (MAC) social group. Haterblocker was proved by Lissar in another thread to be Kori and Andrew Wissmann.

Is he out then? Is he going to get married again? Are fundies allowed to do that?

This whole story is so disturbing.

Is he out then? Is he going to get married again? Are fundies allowed to do that?

This whole story is so disturbing.

Yes, yes, apparently, and yes.

This came up in the Rehm family topic today so here's a news video clip for ophelia. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhnetr ... ports_news

Attorney Sean Brennan, Joshua Beasley's lawyer, is recorded at about 50 seconds into the news report. He gives his reason why the killing of Alaina shouldn't be worth anything more than a probationary period for his client:

Josh's brother, Caleb Beasley, reacts unfavorably to the judge's sentence of 3-5 years in prison. (Abby Grady of Grady Family Archives blog is Caleb's wife.) Starting at about 1:35 into the news report, he says:

A few of Josh's friends were interviewed as well.

Josh did not serve 3-5 years however. He was released by early April 2011. So the value of Alaina's life was just 18 months in prison for the killer, and the Beasleys and their crowd thought even that much was unmerciful to Josh and didn't really serve any purpose.

I see the purpose. It reminds people that YOU DO NOT FUCK ABOUT WITH GUNS.

• 10 months later...
"My cellmate is a pagan witch, I am locked up with 500 drug dealers, rapists, and other felons."

I'd have loved to have heard his cellmate's version. "All I did was buy a little weed and they stuck me in jail with some fundy nutjob who's #%@&ing dangerous. He murdered his wife and doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong. All he wants to do is whine about missing Thanksgiving. Can you believe it? And for reasons that make no sense at all, I'm gonna be stuck in here longer than this creep."

Archived