IGNORED

Melanie Maxwell delivered Andrew

Dru

There's a new update on the blog. Drew's oxygen tubes seem to be out (at least some of them), and his bradycardia episodes have ceased for the time being. There are new pictures of Melanie and Nathan holding him.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the most recent comments section - who'da thunk it???

Paul Q says:

July 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Our family is rejoicing in Jesus for you all now! What great news – praise God!

I know (from observation only, from having worked in a NICU) that having a little one in such a big place can be scary. We hope the Lord has blessed you with an excellent neonatologist and caring nurses. Of course, I’ve always thought the NICU nurses were the best (but then since I work there, I’m biased!). We also hope that He gives you peace and encouragement in this time!

—–

Yes, the NICU nurses have been excellent! Thank you for your work in whatever NICU you work in. It is not easy!

From the most recent comments section - who'da thunk it???

Ha! Good for Paul Q kind of forcing a thank you to the NICU staff.

New post. He may go home today, Monday. Pictures of everyone holding him. Joe has this expression on his face that says "hey, this could be my kid if Lizzy hadn't dumped me." It's been what, 3 years now. (or is it 2?) tap, tap, tap.... guess the single ladies aren't beating a path to his door... :whistle:

New post. He may go home today, Monday. Pictures of everyone holding him. Joe has this expression on his face that says "hey, this could be my kid if Lizzy hadn't dumped me." It's been what, 3 years now. (or is it 2?) tap, tap, tap.... guess the single ladies aren't beating a path to his door... :whistle:

Haha!! But I agree he does have that look on his face!

Haha!! But I agree he does have that look on his face!

Man, he's got Nat's crazy eyes and then some. I guess dealing with rejection when you were soclose to marital bliss has to be really freaky.

Somehow, I'm less -- what's the word? -- concerned about Elizabeth's life right now. She's got a vibrant family, a job (IIRC) in the family's pet-grooming business, a couple baby siblings and others for whom to decorate the dining room tree.

Joe's got cabinets to polish, a house to continue to reno, private and family Bible time and family Gospel band practice. Hm, meh, that doesn't sound all that bad, does it? Especially for a young man who's never known anything else.

OK, back to thinking about the Junior JBs' cousin whose spouse just up and left for a new love. Those are the young people I need to be praying for, Joe & Liz have their own support systems. Bad, distractible Junebug :wtf: .

In the 2/13/07 post Nathan wrote "We are also praying the Lord will direct us to the correct (maybe even Christian?) perinatalogist, hospital, neonatalogist, pediatric surgeon, and whomever else gets involved." So being Christian doesn't seem to be their only concern. And it doesn't surprise me at all that Christian parents with a medically fragile baby would hope for medical staff that share their beliefs about when life begins and ends.

Are you suggesting that a non-Christian or pro-choice physician would deliberately not treat their son? How does your belief in when life starts affect your ability to take care of a baby? Every single pro-choice person I've ever met agrees that once a live baby is born, it's alive and a person. As a pro-choice, life begins at viability believing agnostic, I can tell you categorically that I fight hard for all my patients up to point of medical futility if that is what they wish.

Are you suggesting that a non-Christian or pro-choice physician would deliberately not treat their son? How does your belief in when life starts affect your ability to take care of a baby? Every single pro-choice person I've ever met agrees that once a live baby is born, it's alive and a person. As a pro-choice, life begins at viability believing agnostic, I can tell you categorically that I fight hard for all my patients up to point of medical futility if that is what they wish.

I don't think Dru is saying that, but I'm pretty certain the Maxwells are.

Are you suggesting that a non-Christian or pro-choice physician would deliberately not treat their son? How does your belief in when life starts affect your ability to take care of a baby? Every single pro-choice person I've ever met agrees that once a live baby is born, it's alive and a person. As a pro-choice, life begins at viability believing agnostic, I can tell you categorically that I fight hard for all my patients up to point of [i]medical futility if that is what they wish.

Re. the bolded; I do wonder what fundies consider medical futility, though, and how that might differ from the medical community's definition.

I'm thinking of the Terrie Shiavo situation I mentioned above.

Mel and Nath were married over 4 years before she had her first pregnancy. (Which ended in a miscarriage.) She's now given birth to 5 babies and had 1-2 more miscarriages. I find it rather hard to believe her body went from "off" to "on". I don't think it took 4 years for them to figure out that "tab a" goes into "slot b". ;) I'm wondering if she had a procedure such as one to unblock tubes.

thoughts???

Well, in my circle of friends are two couples who were married ten years, could not conceive (these were pre-fertility-treatment times), and adopted a child--then, within two years, the wives gave birth. Honest--not making this up. ( I know another couple in which the wife got pregnant as they were finalizing an international adoption, so now they have two boys in the same grade.)

Mel and Nath were married over 4 years before she had her first pregnancy. (Which ended in a miscarriage.) She's now given birth to 5 babies and had 1-2 more miscarriages. I find it rather hard to believe her body went from "off" to "on". I don't think it took 4 years for them to figure out that "tab a" goes into "slot b". ;) I'm wondering if she had a procedure such as one to unblock tubes.

thoughts???

It happens, we still don't know everything about the human body...

My parents were married five years before conceiving their first child (me) and after that they conceived 3 other children, my 2 brothers and my sister, without the help of science... it was during the 70's/early 80's. My mother have always said that it took time to start but after that it was hard to stop her body from conceiving, she had her hands full with 4 kids !

They may very we'll have sought medical care during the four years they tried to conceive.

We know Melanie was prescribed progesterone during at least one pregnancy, so we know they're not against medical science keeping a pregnancy viable.

I don't see why they wouldn't at least seek some medical care for fertility issues.

Well, in my circle of friends are two couples who were married ten years, could not conceive (these were pre-fertility-treatment times), and adopted a child--then, within two years, the wives gave birth. Honest--not making this up. ( I know another couple in which the wife got pregnant as they were finalizing an international adoption, so now they have two boys in the same grade.)

We have an older couple in our community who could not conceive for almost 7 years, adopted their first child, and were pregnant within 2 months of the adoption. This was also pre fertility procedure years, all three of their kids are my generation.

Mary also looks like "get me the hell out of here!". Her smile just looks sad and pasted on and she's got the creepy Maxwell eyes.

I can't see any expression on Joseph's face. It's likely just me. He looks like the typical posing Maxwell to me.

Mary also looks like "get me the hell out of here!". Her smile just looks sad and pasted on and she's got the creepy Maxwell eyes.

Yeah, I thought her face said, "Dear God, I hope this isn't my future". Free Mary!

I was looking through the most recent photos of Andrew being home and I was thinking how much I really liked the one of the girls on the step with Nathan waving to them. It struck me that this photo was both genuine and joyful- something we rarely see with these people. Perhaps this is why I liked it- it was a stark contrast from the photos usually posted. Any photos they usually post that are genuine are not joyful and any photos they usually post that are joyful are not genuine.

I was looking through the most recent photos of Andrew being home and I was thinking how much I really liked the one of the girls on the step with Nathan waving to them. It struck me that this photo was both genuine and joyful- something we rarely see with these people. Perhaps this is why I liked it- it was a stark contrast from the photos usually posted. Any photos they usually post that are genuine are not joyful and any photos they usually post that are joyful are not genuine.

Agree Ilike that photo also!

I am not suggesting anything of the kind. I do however know people who have a history of children with birth defects that specifically seek pro-life OBGNs so that abortion isn't even suggested. Ditto what kpmom has said about medical futility and things like the Terrie Shiavo case.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived