IGNORED

Let's celebrate Jill's wedding!/Jill Married MERGE

Ella

It was interesting that in those pics, Jessa wasn't wearing her heart <3 necklace. Also, are her bangs growing out already? Because, no bangs in the pic.

I noticed the other day that Ben and Jessa's Instagrams have simmered down with the selfies. Trouble in courtship-land? :doh:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing really about the wedding but Alyssa Bates Webster put on her Instagram that she and John were not able to attend Jill and Derick's wedding today.

I find this a bit odd, since this would have been a good occasion for Alyssa and the Bateses to visit. They probably miss each other a lot. Maybe Alyssa and John made other plans before the wedding date was announced.

I find this a bit odd, since this would have been a good occasion for Alyssa and the Bateses to visit. They probably miss each other a lot. Maybe Alyssa and John made other plans before the wedding date was announced.

On the Bates website Kelly said that Alyssa and John had looked but plane tickets were too expensive right now. Not surprising since they just got back from spending a bunch of money on their own honeymoon and would be traveling alone not splitting the cost with a bunch of other people.

Do you think Jessa will be asking Jill about the wedding night so she knows what to expect? (I remember my best friend and I sharing tips/tricks when we were both with our first sexual partners.) Or do fundies not talk about it?

Her parents have given the impression that sex within marriage is a very good thing - their constant TMI affection is one of the main things they are snarked on for

Except it is based on shame and trying to uphold an image. If you want to wait, fine, but it isn't true for over 90% of the US. Elizabeth Smart talked how shame based purity made her feel ashamed after her ordeal.Every young person should have knowledge of birth control and their body to prevent unwanted pregnancy and STD regardless if they wait until marriage. As I say, the odds are they won't.They also need to know what sexual abuse is and not just basic mechanics.

Its reality though. Alyssa and John moved to Florida. Plane tickets to and from Florida are pricey. When you leave the house, you can't always travel with your parents anymore.

Do you think Jessa will be asking Jill about the wedding night so she knows what to expect? (I remember my best friend and I sharing tips/tricks when we were both with our first sexual partners.) Or do fundies not talk about it?

Me and my girlfriends talk very openly about our sex lives and we ask each other for advices all the time. But for some reasons, I can't imagine fundies ever doing that. The whole accent on purity is so strong, Jill can't be defrauding poor Jessa's pure and innocent heart with some dirty married women talk.

To talk about the wedding itself: I truly hope JillandDill enjoyed their day. I really have not much to snark about. I thought Jill's dress looked very pretty and the lace suits her a lot. It seems way more original than the generic satin t-shirt dress. I agree with people who commented about the hair. It's not very formal for a wedding but it's her wedding. She can do whatever she wants.

I do hope the next 19KAC season won't be about all the wedding preparation, shower, rehearsal, etc. This would mean the wedding itself would only be on the finale. :angry-banghead:

Jill was such a gorgeous bride! I really wasn't expecting her to radiate so much - it caught me off guard (in a good way). Those girls have to stay so covered all the time and Jill is usually wearing three layers so it was lovely to see her in something both modern and beautiful. I do wonder why they bothered to alter the dress at all (was it so they could say they needed to have it altered?) because the original Allure neckline is fairly high. I'm super impressed with Jill though; she definitely showed more arm/shoulder and collarbone than I've seen on previous fundy brides. I like her dress the most too and Alyssa Bates set a high standard!

Now down to the details:

1) I think Jill may be enjoying the fact that she doesn't have to have insanely curly hair all the time now. Maybe it's because of Gothard or maybe Derick told Jim Bob to back off ... either way it's "hair freedom" for Jill. Although I would probably have a "fancy up-do" of some kind if I were to get married, it would be because that was special for me. Jill has had to do her hair and that of 18 others for her whole life so maybe on her wedding day, she just didn't want to put it up with a bow again. The back of her gown looks stunning and maybe she wanted her hair to radiate down her dress. Whatever it may be, I'm calling that Jill's officially lost her hair virginity. :lol:

2) The tone of this wedding with the mature color palate, makeup, flowers, and dress all seem to show that Jill knew what she wanted and went for it when she had the chance. It strikes me as being far more adult than the Erin/Zach/Alyssa weddings and marriages. I'm not sure exactly why, but

a) Erin seems to be over the top needy with the whole day long of engagement stuff (which she wanted to know about in advance) and now she sleeps in a pink bedroom with her husband.

b) Zach I was hopeful for, but now I wonder if both he and Whit were really wanting to find someone to love and kinda bumped into each other. The whole world watched Zach's courtship fail and Whit's life sounds as if it has been hard. I thought they were going to get out, but getting married in December and having a baby in October is crazy fast. I understand Zach not wanting to live at home and Whit wanting a family of her own (and them being in love), but it doesn't seem to be thought-out. They don't appear to have a plan or a way to make enough money to keep up with one baby a year. I hope I'm wrong, but I put them in the puppy love category.

c) Then there's Alyssa and I have so much positive stuff to say about her wedding (and I did), but she's in the teeneybooper/giddy cheerleader/time to decorate for prom stage.

I don't intend to sound mean towards any couple and do wish them all the very best, but the married Bates children seem to be exactly that - all still children, but stuck in different phases.

Then, there's Jill. If she is "stuck" anywhere, it's stuck in being an adult/parenting. That was never her choice, but Jill seems to love children so much that perhaps she doesn't feel as if she missed out on too much? Of course, it's all speculation, but the muted tones and "pounding party" just gave me a picture of Jill actually being very practical and mature in her choices. I can see her reasonably yet artfully decorating a house and being content as a wife, mother, midwife, nurse, and/or missionary etc. She's proven she can make anything work (in that she smiled, got out, and didn't follow all of Dim Bulb's rules) and is able to create happiness despite people, places, and circumstances, which shows great flexibility. And, it's that ability to adapt that will allow her to live a happy life, have a prospering career (if she wants), get a degree(!), travel around the world, and be an actual mother to her real children.

Well, here's to hoping, right?

After all, this is a new season of life! :dance:

Here's something to snark about...

The sign by their decorated getaway truck? It says "throw a buck in the truck for the newlyweds". :cry: So there was at least some element of tackiness, despite the lovely pics so far.

On Instagram, you'll see the pic if you go to #jillandderickwedding2014

I feel very creepy speculating on this couples wedding night, but just from looking at them all season they seem very happy, affectionate and attracted to each other.

Her parents have given the impression that sex within marriage is a very good thing - their constant TMI affection is one of the main things they are snarked on for. It certainly seems like she has been taught that sex outside of marriage is wrong, but that once you are married it's not only for making babies, but also to show affection and fulfillment. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but when Jim Bob and Michelle go on and on about how they need to not touch because it can stir up desires- they always seem to include that both young men AND women have those desires. So I don't think it's a case of a young girl being raised to believe that sex is some nightmare to only be used for procreation and to fulfil her duty to her husband.and of course Jill has the advantage of having very detailed information about her own body due to studying to become a midwife. She won't be hampered by the squeamishness some of these girls would have about anything " down there",

So I don't see why it would be scary or difficult or negative. Sure they will probably be a little shy, but the vast majority of humanity manages to find sex enjoyable if it is with someone they are attracted to and they aren't feeling bad or guilty about doing it. Hell, I managed to enjoy my first time and it was with a boyfriend of a few weeks and I was only 13. Not the love of my life who I had just committed to spend eternity with and the belief that sex together was a sacred act.

I don't believe that Jill has been taught that sex is negative or a nightmare. But the harsh reality is "some" women experience pain and discomfort when having sex for the 1st time. After how she reacted to getting her wisdom teeth pulled, I'm just wondering if she was maybe "dreading" and excited at the same time about loosing her virginity. Glad you enjoyed your 1st time, can't say the same for me. Hey maybe Derick bought some KY jelly from Walmart :dance: But to be serious, I realize loosing your virginity won't kill ya. We all know it gets better. That wisdom tooth episode was a few years ago and maybe she has matured emotionally by now. Just can't stop picturing her a crying and nervous mess. Oh and since we are still up drinking, I want to give a toast for Pistol Pete and his bride and hoping she isn't too sore to go to church in the morning :wink-penguin:

Jill looked lovely and the dress very much suited her but I still think Alyssa had the best dress of the Duggar/Bates women so far. It was just more fitted while Jill's top is cut a bit loose, either because she wanted it that way as it made her feel more comfortable (which is fair) or because the sample size could only be altered that way. With such a quick engagement period getting a better fitted dress or more complicated alterations probably wasn't possible. It was still miles above Anna's and Erin's satin t-shirt monstrosity dresses, though!

The bittersweet thing is we now know the most likely reason they got married so fast. Derick's mother may not have much time left. I know it's none of our business but I wish they had mentioned what type of cancer she's fighting so there would be more to go on as far as prognosis goes. Cathy Dillard seems like a very nice lady just based on the few minutes she's been featured on the show and I think she could be a very good influential MIL to Jill, showing her that you can still be a good Jesus loving Christian but NOT a member of the Gothard cult. The fact that Cathy had to be in a wheelchair for the wedding when not even three months ago (the engagement episode was filmed on March 29th) she looked healthy and was mobile is not a good sign at all. So sad and unfair.

I do wish we had seen more social media pictures from today, but damn TLC locked things down tight. But I don't think we'll have to wait until the fall for more pictures. Full pictures of the wedding party will be in the next issue of People, most likely, so they should appear online around Wednesday I believe. Maybe the Wednesday after next if the wedding will be featured in the magazine in two weeks. But it won't be a months long wait. I'm sure after that there will be a lift on the embargo on still images (we won't see video of TEH KISS) after People gets their exclusives in first. Then guests will be able to start sharing their own pictures from the day and whatever professional photographer they used will put their wedding pictures (at least some) up on their own site. We just have to be patient, which is hard. I want to see those bridesmaid's dresses too!

I wish the Dills a long and happy life together!

People has a pic of the dress ! http://www.people.com/article/jill-dugg ... d-counting

link not broken because I doubt they care...

ETA : pity we can't see the skirt too :/

Okay, I do gotta say something about something in this article that has nothing to do with Derick and Jill.

"The couple first met in Nepal after communicating with one another via email and Skype, and began courting. The Duggar family adheres to strong Christian beliefs, and both Duggar girls in relationships – Jill's sister Jessa, 20, is in a courtship with Ben Seewald, 19 – chose to wait to hold hands until their engagement and save their first kisses until their wedding days. "

"Jessa, 20". 20! Are you fucking KIDDING me, People? They are STILL downplaying that that woman is 21, has been 21 for over six months, and is currently closer to being 22 than 20 as she's less than six months away from her next birthday right now. WHY are they trying to hide the fact that she's, yes, THAT much older than her BOYfriend (emphasis on boy)? Is this something Jim Boob is asking them to do because he knows the general public won't be so approving of a 19 year old boy marring a woman that much older? Or a 19 year old boy marring in general, having to support a family on his own with no financial support from her, having kids when he's still a kid himself, etc.

Of course Ben is technically an adult and I've stated before there is no issue with their age difference - in the real world. Just in their world, where *very* young Ben will be the soul breadwinner once the show ends and will be a dad again every 18-24 months until Jessa hits menopause. He is just *too* young and even many of the brown nosing fans agree (based on Instagram comments). They should wait at least one more year but I don't think Ben's blue balls can take another year of nothing but side hugs and cheek smushing for selfies.

The Facebook 19KaC page wedding congrats post is a huge snarkfest. For us, anyway. I have already told off several ignorant and offensive leghumpers. A conservative FB friend of mine always posts Duggar-related tripe, and every time she does, I make it a point to snark on it at least twice- once more than she's posted. If the universe hangs in the balance, I intend to tip it back in the correct direction.

Not only did they get Jessa's age wrong, but in the rehearsal dinner article they got Michael and Marcus's ages wrong too. (They said Michael is 2 and Marcus is 8 months.) So maybe it's just bad journalism. If they are going to add the ages in the article then at least get them right !

Not only did they get Jessa's age wrong, but in the rehearsal dinner article they got Michael and Marcus's ages wrong too. (They said Michael is 2 and Marcus is 8 months.) So maybe it's just bad journalism. If they are going to add the ages in the article then at least get them right !

There was also an article that said JimBob was Jill's stepfather. I guess he doesn't have time to proof all the press this time.

Haha did you see Joshies latest IG post??? Smugs, u so funny!!!

Oh no, you're not.

Josh is a self-important, entitled twat. I bet he's had that little gem up his sleeve for months.

1st post :dance:

Heh heh heh

I think that picture needs "Fundie vs. Fundie lite" underneath it. I have high hopes for Jill, I think she's on her way out to a content, fulfilled life with 4-6 kids, a career and a loving husband.

Poor Derek looks shattered in the pictures, it's got to have been a really intense time for him with his Mother being ill and all the circus around him. I hope they have a really relaxing honeymoon with no cameras.

The rehearsal one got Josh's age wrong as well. I know this because josh and I are the same age, to the day. I am 26, not 25.

Found this on FB the smuggars and pris and Dave at the reception

Anna has to be pregnant. Nice try wearing black so that it's less conspicuous. She looks about the same size as Pris too, maybe these babies will be even closer in age than Paul and Marcus.

Her makeup is a lot better than usual and her hair is looking good too.

Edit because apparently I can't keep my spelling or the Mkids straight.

RE: the hair down thing.

Historically having your long hair down as a woman is to symbolise your virginity. Such as Queens Elizabeth I and Victoria had their hair down for their coronations (both unmarried when crowned) to show they were untouched by man.

Given how much the fundies place on virginity I should imagine this is why Jill's hair was down. An updo might suggest she had be deflowered pre-wedding.

Now that I look closer, she really has to be pregnant..

Smugs looks like a hobbit in a pink shirt, waiting for 5th breakfast

Anna is (as always) so pretty, she's out of Smugs league

All the Keller girls are so good looking but what bugs me is the matchy stuff with David, they still almost always match

wow wow wow the hair-down-thing... really??? omg...

I hate all that purity/virginity crap. It's something I can NEVER get behind..

It's certainly very symbolic over here in the UK, I don't know about the US but it would make sense. The idea of how you are a girl until you are married/lose virginity then you are a woman.

Archived