IGNORED

Ken Alexander: Sports medicine expert extrodinaire

I've twice in my life soldiered on with a badly sprained ankle, same ankle both times, because I was far, far away from medical care. The first time was 22 years ago, when I had to make do with homemade splints and over-the-counter pain relief for three weeks. I wasn't even in a pace where there was ice. The second time was in 1997, and that injured left me liming so badly for so long that I threw out my back.

Today, decidedly in middle age, this ankle is chronically painful. 24/7 I am reminded its there every time I move the darned thing. I have to have orthopedic everything when it comes to footwear, and I a regular feature at my podiatrist's office, where there has been talk of a referral to an orthopedist for possible surgery.

Not that I would anyway, but no one should force a child to use an injured limb. I've 'played through the pain' and can attest to the misery it can cause as one ages. A parent who would deliberately do this to a child is beyond cruel and irresponsible.

Well that pretty much describes both Lori and Ken.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get so sick of fundies (and others) talking about the next great food cure that solves all the world's problems.

I cook with fresh food because I like it better and because I presume it's healthier. But we don't discuss the food ad nauseum, and I never brag about what I served as though it's a badge of honor. jeez. there are so mamy more interesting things to talk about.

I'm nearly Lori's age but I have somehow learned that everyone's situation is different. I can cook more because I am a SAHM. I can also afford to buy fresher and better foods. But I could easily be in a different situation, and people with less time or money deserve my respect, not my criticism.

Basicially, my feeling is, STFU about what you ate. It all turns into the same stuff, anyway.

I'd like to add a few things about Lori:

If your food is so goddamned life-giving and healthy, how come you and so many of your familiy memebers are alway sick?

No one seems to like your "big salads." How many fights have you had in your family, trying to get people to eat them? Was it worth it?

Why would you spend so much time and effort trying to control what your middle-aged husband put into his mouth? I don't pay any attention to what my husband eats--he's a grown man! I'd never dream of telling him what to eat.

Regarding that question about whether husbands should to 50% of the houeswork upon retirement, I would respond that Lori thinks her housecleaner should do 50% of the housework. Her female housecleaner, of course, because cleaning is a feminine trait.

Here's an expletive rant filled rant for you. Lori Alexander is an hateful super bitch and fucking monster. Ken Alexander is a misogynistic, abusive bastard, MRA, fucking asshole and a monster.

I feel much better now!

Signed, me too.

I like his claims that men handle "external pain" better while women deal with "internal pain" better. This guy pulls way more than just statistics out of his ignorant ass.

I get so sick of fundies (and others) talking about the next great food cure that solves all the world's problems.

I cook with fresh food because I like it better and because I presume it's healthier. But we don't discuss the food ad nauseum, and I never brag about what I served as though it's a badge of honor. jeez. there are so mamy more interesting things to talk about.

I'm nearly Lori's age but I have somehow learned that everyone's situation is different. I can cook more because I am a SAHM. I can also afford to buy fresher and better foods. But I could easily be in a different situation, and people with less time or money deserve my respect, not my criticism.

Basicially, my feeling is, STFU about what you ate. It all turns into the same stuff, anyway.

I'd like to add a few things about Lori:

If your food is so goddamned life-giving and healthy, how come you and so many of your familiy memebers are alway sick?

No one seems to like your "big salads." How many fights have you had in your family, trying to get people to eat them? Was it worth it?

Why would you spend so much time and effort trying to control what your middle-aged husband put into his mouth? I don't pay any attention to what my husband eats--he's a grown man! I'd never dream of telling him what to eat.

Regarding that question about whether husbands should to 50% of the houeswork upon retirement, I would respond that Lori thinks her housecleaner should do 50% of the housework. Her female housecleaner, of course, because cleaning is a feminine trait.

And healthy food is no guarantee. My idiot sister-in-law is going to find my foot in her damn face soon because every time I see her now, she gives me a lecture about how my father has cancer because of "bad nutrition" and how she personally will never ever experience any illness because she eats healthy.

The reality is that she has the most inconsistent diet of anyone I know that is vegan one week and involves binges of 6-8 cheeseburgers from Burger King the next. My father on the other hand was the most consistently healthy eater I will ever know before cancer. He was healthy all around actually and had not a single risk factor for the type of cancer he has.

No one seems to like your "big salads."

Am I the only one that thinks of Elaine on Seinfield when Lori writes about her 'big salads'?

Doing housework isn't a feminine thing. Its a not wanting to be featured on a TV show about hoarders thing. Or a not getting rats and cockroaches thing. Or living in your house like a responsible human being who can look after themselves thing.

Cooking its a feminine thing either. You need to eat to live, and its important to learn to cook instead of live off microwave meals. Even if you live with someone who can cook, what if they are in an accident and end up in hospital and leave you home alone. Or if they break both their arms? Or if they break up with you and move out.

I guess Ken is a big fan of George Carlin's football-baseball routine:

This has always been one of my favorite Carlin routines:

"In football, you receive a penalty. In baseball, you make an error. Whoops!" :lol:

Don't Lori and Ken believe there are no hungry people in America? You know, those homeless people just don't know where to look for their big salads.

I was a stay at home mom and I fed my kids what I could afford to feed them. I did the best I could with what we had. In the early years, their fresh produce consisted of apples, bananas and carrots because that's what we could afford. My little girl always asked for grapes but I couldn't always buy grapes because they were usually $4 a pound. When we became a little more financially comfortable, I made a point to fill the fridge with lots of fresh fruits and veggies and, yes, my kid loved them. There were always grapes in our fridge once we had the money. :)

That's what Lori doesn't seem to understand - that with one income, there are things that a family just cannot afford. Yet, she doesn't think moms should work in order to buy the more expensive and healthier foods. :angry-banghead:

Yeah, Lori is the poster child for rich, white privilege.

Thank you! Of course, Lori's BFF Helen from the UK jumped my shit about it. I rebutted, but it never saw the light of day.

Lori a despicable person. She's weak (but that's okay, because the Bible tells her that's the way she should be) so all women should be weak. She was a shrew for half her life (but that's okay, because now she's changed) so all women are evil, controlling bitches. She hates her husband (but that's okay because she restricts herself to only showing it in passive-aggressive ways) so all wives are the same and it's up to her to change our ways.

I hate her.

Lori is speaking of a wife's fears, many of which are unreal. If a husband has to live by his wife's fears he cannot live a full life, nor can he help teach his boys to be manly. If you allow your kids to play hockey they are learning all these lessons as they can's stay in the game long without pain. Too many Moms are helicopter Moms and overprotective, not letting Dads play their role in training. There are very few injuries that if one continues to play will make things worse. Head and neck injuries are the exception and then the child should sit out.

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, even from Lori and Ken :shock: Yeah, kids don't need to sit out for every bump and scratch, but I can't think of a single sports injury that couldn't potentially be worsened by continuing to play on it. Seriously, how could anyone actually be this stupid?

I developed tendonitis last month, which was causing me a fair bit of pain in my foot. Tendonitis is not all that serious, not as bad as a break or something like plantar fasciitis, but the doctor sure as hell didn't tell me to just keep running on it like nothing happened.

Is it OK to post a link to a post by Lori's daughter about body image? I have one, but I don't want to post it if it breaks our rules.

I can't think of why that would break a rule, as long as the blog is public.

This has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, even from Lori and Ken :shock: Yeah, kids don't need to sit out for every bump and scratch, but I can't think of a single sports injury that couldn't potentially be worsened by continuing to play on it. Seriously, how could anyone actually be this stupid?

I developed tendonitis last month, which was causing me a fair bit of pain in my foot. Tendonitis is not all that serious, not as bad as a break or something like plantar fasciitis, but the doctor sure as hell didn't tell me to just keep running on it like nothing happened.

I sprained my MCL in late March. That aggravated scar tissue from when I actually fractured my kneecap as a teenager. The prescription was certainly not "go do stuff like nothing is wrong". Until the swelling went down, it was RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), now because of the pain under the knee cap, I am doing physical therapy. The rule at therapy is that pain beyond a 1 or 2 on a 10 point scale means you either stop or do something differently.

I can't think of why that would break a rule, as long as the blog is public.

OK, Curious, thanks!

Here is Alyssa, Lori's oldest, on her problems with body image and food. She's about 31 now. I applaud her courage in posting this to help young ballerina.

beyondballerinas.com/2013/06/13/lets-get-real/

Here's a quote, but there's more:

My greatest struggle was my body image. My obsession with body started before I even developed curves. My friends and I would watch our teacher pull the older girls aside and tell them that they needed to lose weight in order to fit into their Nutcracker costume from the previous year. Although I was only an observer, this fed the already developing insecurities within myself. Not many years later, it was my turn to receive the “weight lose talkâ€. In middle school, I would throw my lunches away and try to starve myself until after ballet. This lead to unhealthy eating and thinking patterns. Bad eating habits lead to sluggishness, depression, injuries, foggy thinking, and sleepless nights. I felt awful all the time and I was still never satisfied with what I saw in the mirror.

My body image became my idol, the one thing I placed before everything else. I continued to worship the idol of my body even into my professional dancing years. Looking back, I have much regret for the time that was wasted dwelling on myself and for neglecting to feed and nourish my body in a way that was healthy and life-giving. Consuming myself with unhealthy thought patterns hindered me from truly enjoying life.

From the comments:

Lori Alexander

Women began leaving their homes before the 50s. " “From 1940-1945, the female labor force grew by 50% and female employment in defense industries grew by 462%†The source is from below and it explains all the causes and consequences of women leaving the home which are many and tragic. So if there was a mass exodus of women from the home in the early 40s, it makes sense that fast food would have began in the 50s to accommodate all the stressed out, exhausted women.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaquast/2011/02/14/...

What mysterious event could possibly explain women working out side of the home en masse, especially in the defense industry, in 1940-1945? Hmmm . . .

170px-We_Can_Do_It%21.jpg

I guess Lori would have been ok with the Nazis winning as long as women remained "keepers of the home."

This is the (public) blog post by her other daughter:

I have also struggled with unhealthy relationships with food from overeating and gaining weight to under-eating and losing the weight. It never got too extreme, but I can honestly admit that at one point I was on the verge of anorexia. By the grace of God, He saved me from that. Not to say that I am completely free from all of that, but I am starting to gain a healthy perspective of food.

Anyways, I had zero energy. It was taking every ounce of strength to do anything, even with sleeping over ten hours a night. I was gaining weight even though I was exercising {probably too much} everyday and eating three small meals a day. My natural tendency was to start cutting/counting calories to start losing weight, but I was so fed up with all my health problems and the fluctuation of my weight/dieting, I realized this was not the solution. Instead, I made a decision right there and then that I wanted to gain a healthy perspective on food and weight in order to be free from this continual, dreadful cycle. I wanted to start striving for health, not the perfect figure, and that my dear readers is when Live Right Be Healthy was born.

Between the milk allergy, stomach problems, low energy, prone to fainting/face-planting, anemia, and my mom forcing me to eat my salad when I was young {stubbornly, I would sit at the the table for over two hours a night refusing to eat my salad}, I am where I am at today.

liverightbehealthy.blogspot.com/p/an-abridged-version-of-my-health.html

OK, Curious, thanks!

Here is Alyssa, Lori's oldest, on her problems with body image and food. She's about 31 now. I applaud her courage in posting this to help young ballerina.

beyondballerinas.com/2013/06/13/lets-get-real/

Here's a quote, but there's more:

I *may* be wrong, but this is either a different post or she has edited it.

Here is the one we had talked about previously:

My biggest struggle as a dancer was my body image. I never was happy with what I saw in the mirror. Unlike artists who paint a portrait and marvel how their different paints created a beautiful painting; we are the paint. We use our bodies to create the art. Not only do we have to look at them (in class & rehearsals) but so does the audience (in performance).

In my early years of dance, my body became my obsession. I had not even hit puberty and I was worried that I was too curvy or not skinny enough. Not only did my image disorder cause insecurity, but it gave rise to a host of other issues: bad eating habits, depression, injuries, foggy thinking, sleepless nights, and more. Idolizing the way I looked never helped me. It did not improve my appearance or my performance.

***Side note*** I would be uncomfortable posting these myself were it not for the fact that Lori is continually advising mothers on how to "deal with a daughter's weight", while conveniently leaving out the part where her own daughters ended up with serious body image issues. It's dangerous, wreckless, and people need to know the end result of Lori's food obsession.

Lori's constant harping on "keepers of the home" makes me think that she's actually not very happy at being at home under Ken's thumb. She protests WAY too much.

Ken is an asshat. Lori on the other hand, I think has a good case of self-hate going on. She hates that she chose to be dependent on such a misogynist asshole who probably does treat her like shit. She hates that she had the kids to weasel out of working (remember the hole in the diaphragm story) and she did the bare minimum to interact with said children...and now gets off on trying to make her fan girls feel guilty if they think anything other than what Lori's spewing.

To Ken and Lori...FUCK OFF AND SHUT YOUR GAPING HOLES!

Many years ago, I was the manager for my then husband's softball team. During a game, he tagged someone on the back and immediately complained about hurting his hand. I gave him an "are you serious" kind of look, looked at his hand and figured he had maybe jammed his finger or something, but that he'd live and put him back at 3rd base. The guy he tagged didn't seem any worse for wear, like he'd been tagged exceptionally hard or anything like that.

After a couple plays where my husband made errors because he kept pulling his hand in rather than catching the ball, I pulled him out of the game and I was none too pleased about it.

The next morning, when we got up he said "oh I guess my finger is ok, it's not swollen." I took one look at it and my stomach fell. It didn't look swollen to him because his ENTIRE hand was swollen. So off to the dr. we went and he had a broken hand. I felt AWFUL, of course, and spent much time apologizing profusely.

It was just a freak thing. You don't really expect to have an injury tagging someone unless it's a slide. It's not like this was the MLB ;) The thing is sports are dangerous and people get hurt, sometimes even when it doesn't look like a serious injury. I wouldn't want to be making that call with other people's children if I didn't have training.

Back in grad school, my husband played on an intramural softball team. At one game, he slid into home and twisted his ankle up under him. All of our friends were doing the typical "you're OK, walk it off" routine but I wouldn't let him put any weight on it and insisted we go get an x-ray. He was not happy with me about that, but was a little less upset when the ER informed us he had broken 2 bones. :whistle: Fortunately, as the doctor told him, he hadn't walked on it so the bones were only broken and not displaced. 6 weeks in a walking cast and he was all better.

Ironically enough, a friend of ours did almost the same thing a couple of weeks later with a different softball team. He kept playing although it was hurting worse and worse. Let me tell you about the silent, but epic, "I told you so" I gave to my husband when it turned out our friend had to have pins put in his leg and spent many more weeks in a cast. (Yes, I'm petty that way. :lol: )

Ken and Lori are two of the dumbest people, I swear. "A wife's fears are unreal" WTH.

I want to believe that he's just a poor writer and he means something completely different. Like, if my kids fall down on the basketball court, I encourage them to continue to play, unless they are injured. Because, IMO, it IS important for kids to learn the difference between being "hurt" and being injured. I know I had a hard time pushing through normal soreness and confusing it with pain. I know far too many adults who confuse natural muscle soreness and DOMS with being injured.

It's also really easy for people who are used to a lot of physical activity to assume that someone less adept is not trying very hard. Ken, as a coach, needs to work harder at finding that line between pushing kids to do their best and forcing kids to hurt themselves.

Who can forget Lori's advice about ice dipping?

Me.

Because after the 'black salve cures cancer' the ice-dipping went right out of my head! :shock:

Me.

Because after the 'black salve cures cancer' the ice-dipping went right out of my head! :shock:

Okay, enlighten me on the unmitigated bullshit that Lori calls "ice-dipping." I am clearly a glutton for punishment.

Okay, enlighten me on the unmitigated bullshit that Lori calls "ice-dipping." I am clearly a glutton for punishment.

According to the gospel of Lori, you can heal broken bones with ice water. Apparently she claims to have broken her foot or ankle or a toe, can't recall exactly which, when she tried to kick her cat and it jumped out of the way and she kicked the wall instead. She believes she cured this 'break' via dipping it in ice water.

Please don't ask me why I felt the need to search for these little gems; but here are a few little tidbits on ice dipping - pulled right off her blog.

*P.S. My large container of coconut oil fell on my toe yesterday and broke it! It was SO painful but I spent two hours ice dipping this morning and it feels so much better.

*I didn't go to the doctor...but I'm sure it was broken. I didn't want a cast on it because I knew ice dipping it would heal it much faster. {We did have an x-ray taken and no bones were out of place.} Within a week of ice dipping, it was so much better. (this was after tripping over a friend's dog)

*One early morning, I came downstairs and my cat was nipping at my feet. This wasn't a good cat. Actually, he was a mean cat so I went to kick him so he'd stop biting me. Well, he ran away and I kicked the wall instead. Oh, I was in pain. After a week of ice dipping, it was all better.

*Cassi recently had tendinitis in her thumb. She finally ice dipped one night and it felt so much better. It is great for any kind of tendinitis including tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. Any inflammation or injury responds well to it. It is so easy!

*If it is for an arm or hand, fill the kitchen sink with water and lots of ice. I freeze empty plastic juice bottles and use them. For two hours, dunk your injured part into the water for five to ten seconds then wait five to ten minutes. Continue doing that for two hours. Do that every day and within a week, you will feel so much better.

Are these people serious?? They actually believe they have a broken bone and choose to heal it with ice water?!?

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Archived