IGNORED

Ken Alexander: Sports medicine expert extrodinaire

I want to believe that he's just a poor writer and he means something completely different.

I think he's a poor writer and a sloppy thinker. Then, on top of it all, he's not accustomed to having his ideas questioned, especially by women. However, since he thinks of women as fearful, unreasonable, and weak, their questioning never leads him to rethink or refine his views.

So he just keeps getting more stupid, while becoming increasingly confident and comfortable in his stupidity.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question for all you fundie watchers. :D Besides colloidal silver, black salve, and "ice dipping," are there other cure-alls fundies believe in?

Re: the ice dipping. How is it different from just putting an ice pack on an injury? I know ice won't mend broken bones, but I can't figure out why Lori doesn't just say she ices her stubbed toes. Or would saying something that mundane be an admission that she's not one of God's Super Special Snowflakes?

I think he's a poor writer and a sloppy thinker. Then, on top of it all, he's not accustomed to having his ideas questioned, especially by women. However, since he thinks of women as fearful, unreasonable, and weak, their questioning never leads him to rethink or refine his views.

So he just keeps getting more stupid, while becoming increasingly confident and comfortable in his stupidity.

Ken is the reason I dusted off my user name and started commenting on FJ regularly. I cannot stand his brand of Christianity. Men like him sicken me with their complete lack of compassion, humility and tolerance.

A question for all you fundie watchers. :D Besides colloidal silver, black salve, and "ice dipping," are there other cure-alls fundies believe in?

Essential oils. Calorie restriction. Herbs and other plants, including yams.

I'm sure there are more; each family seems to have its own unique combination.

Juicing. My sorta fundie sister is all about juicing. When our grandfather was near death from emphysema she just kept saying "We need to get him a juicer. He needs to be juicing.." :?

Also.....enemas. And that's all I want to say about that. :o :o :o :o

Don't fundies do something called "oil pulling"? I think this is just swishing some kind of oil around in your mouth for a specified amount of time and they claim it cures all sorts of things. Totally wackadoole stuff if you ask me.

The fathers of one current and one former male piano students of mine actually are experts. One is a Physician's Assistant, specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine, and the other is a college professor who teaches others sports medicine and physical therapy.

Both have done lots of coaching, play hard themselves, and have their families very involved in athletics. Nobody could call them wimps.

But, when their kids ( boys or girls) had injuries, the experts who love them made sure they were safe, and didn't let them play until the injury was diagnosed, treated, and healed.

In fact, all of the other parents I know, no matter how sports-loving and competitive they and their children are, played it safe and followed their doctors' advice. There have even been injuries that limited what a kid could do in a piano lesson for a while, and I obeyed the advice I was given and didn't force anything.

It's nice to know that these kids will grow up strong, willing to try hard and compete, but not idiotic about their bodies, or permanently in pain due to the macho strutting of an asshole like Ken.

It doesn't surprise me that exaggerated gender roles trump common sense and the safety of their children, in the unending game of Ken vs. Lori.

That makes me wonder what their stance on medical marijuana is. I know lots of people who use alternative medicines and medical marijuana can be really helpful for a number of conditions. Do fundamentalists use it? I'm sure it varies somewhat by individual, but I wonder if there is a general consensus one way or the other?

OK so my dad was a coach too...and he didn't put injured kids back in games for a very good reason - it would likely make the injury worse, and could lead to the kid never being able to play again.

I understand building mental toughness, but building physical toughness is about working through discomfort and not pain/injury.

I really hope his sons never suffered a concussion...Ken seems like he would have been the type to force his players to continue playing with a grave injury that could have massive effects in later life!

My dad was a coach for many years, and he also never would have put an INJURED kid into a game. Got a blister? Tough. Get back out there. Your muscles ache? Don't whine. Back onto the field. Twisted or sprained ankle? Onto the bench.

Don't fundies do something called "oil pulling"? I think this is just swishing some kind of oil around in your mouth for a specified amount of time and they claim it cures all sorts of things. Totally wackadoole stuff if you ask me.

I think it is supposed to be 20 minutes. Who has the time to swish oil around in their mouth for that long?

I think it is supposed to be 20 minutes. Who has the time to swish oil around in their mouth for that long?

Yup. And I think they insist on coconut oil, which many of them also happen to sell. Weird coincidence.

"Oil pulling" can actually improve problems related to enamel erosion and inflamation in the mouth, but so will swishing anything in your mouth for 20 minutes. Use water, use mouthwash, use vodka, whatever. It does not have any "detoxifying" effects and will not fix serious dental problems or any other medical condition.

That makes me wonder what their stance on medical marijuana is. I know lots of people who use alternative medicines and medical marijuana can be really helpful for a number of conditions. Do fundamentalists use it? I'm sure it varies somewhat by individual, but I wonder if there is a general consensus one way or the other?

Candy Brauer's husband Erik is a big fan of recreational marijuana. He mailed his manifesto to Sarah Palin from an email account called something like 'DoubieJayJay'. It got published with the rest of La Palin's emails.

In my great-great grandmother's journal, she recommended it for sores in the mouth and gargling with it for sore throats. But we're talking 150 years ago. And she was an Appalachian granny (minus the witchcraft and Wiccan aspects that some claim they practiced) and midwife.

Slightly OT: Fifty years ago, our family doctor would not allow his kids to pitch at baseball games until they were in their teens because he was concerned about damage to growing tendons and joints. This was way before t-ball became a thing, so he was far ahead of the times. (One of the boys grew up to be a pro ballplayer.)

From what I've read, oil pulling works because you brush and floss afterwards. The people who are swearing by it are just giving their teeth more attention, and the same results can be achieved by just flossing more.

Archived