IGNORED

Shades of Malibu Blue: Alyssa Bates & John Webster Wedding

freethemall

THIS. If it was outside, it might have been more bearable. But lighting makes a huge distance and those are colors that are so bright they're just asking for a wide open space and natural light.

I looked at a lot of Pintrest boards for blue/pink weddings and a lot of them were lovely but the difference is the colors weren't equally bright -- they either subdued the pink or a blue. Malibu blue and a light pink? Beautiful. HOTHOTHOT Pink and a Robin Egg's blue? Fantastic. But both competing to be the brightest doesn't work.

Definitely more bearable outside. Mbe on a beach with white sand and a white canopy with the blue sea in the background... attendants in sandals or barefoot, the guys in more of a beach look (maybe linen).

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS. If it was outside, it might have been more bearable. But lighting makes a huge distance and those are colors that are so bright they're just asking for a wide open space and natural light.

I looked at a lot of Pintrest boards for blue/pink weddings and a lot of them were lovely but the difference is the colors weren't equally bright -- they either subdued the pink or a blue. Malibu blue and a light pink? Beautiful. HOTHOTHOT Pink and a Robin Egg's blue? Fantastic. But both competing to be the brightest doesn't work.

Yes! Another of my friends had her wedding outside, under this gazebo thing that they colored with multicolored summer flowers and ivy. Her bouquet was light pink. I had just met her at the time, but the pictures on FB were gorgeous.

I would say, with regards to the budget. If I had a limited budget at my wedding I would splurge the most on getting alterations to make sure my dress fit correctly, hair/makeup, and the photographer. Because I think I'd really want the photos to remember it, and the other two things are important in the photos! ;) Though, I do agree it's a little ironic that these supposed "experts" in homemaking don't know how to decorate cakes that well!

No kidding! What do they do all day if not learning the finer arts of homemaking, playing an instrument, painting, sewing, all that fluffy stuff? Guess it's like the Maxwells - just the sheer number of people in the house would be exhausting and take up energy. :lol: I still can't believe the Duggars served Ben a crap supper of pepper and onion stir-fry on styro plates when he came to ask Jessa to court. Everyday life for them is so one-size-fits-all that it seems like they would have put a little effort into making it special just knowing he'd be there, especially on a day they were taping.

Yes, yes yes! I have thought this for a long time. Whenever I try out a fundie recipe I am so surprised and disappointed. The recipes turn out ordinary (at best) and usually they turn out pretty bad.

I think that with a zillion children in the house, and the accompnaying mess and noise, and the lack of money, and the need to feed a lot of people fast, they just don't have the time and energy to create good food.

My wedding colors were raspberry and aqua, so I like them too! lol Though, my flowers were all various shades of pink and I think the only aqua was bridesmaids dresses. Sounds not so pretty but it was lovely. Also we were outside at a vineyard so the bright colors were diffused a lot and the predominant color was probably the green grass and green vines and green trees!

I just went to a wedding that was gray and yellow and it was very adult and lovely, but all so bland to me.

Oh my... well, editing bc I just looked at the actual photos. My wedding was NOTHING like that! That did end up pretty hideous looking.

That's what came to mind too as ugly on the grown-up end of the spectrum, grey and yellow. With CHEVRON!!! :roll:

I question so much about their cooking and homemaking skills. Surely there is a better way. A lot of their recipes seem to be like "quick and easy for 20 using pre-made stuff" but surely you could run several slow cookers at once for homemade stew? You could make, say, six or so frittatas for dinner and have the kids suggest fillings/veggies the same way you do when you call for pizza.

I just do not get it. I'm the around the age of the duggar daughters and I probably couldn't cook for 20 in my personal kitchen, but I can/have/often cook for 10 in there (and that is ONE oven and ONE stovetop and I don't even have a sex of mixing bowls so if I need a big one I have to take the inside portion out of the rice cooker). I've seen my roommate make bacon for ~40 people while drunk. I would think you'd see more Crock pot stews from them and such. Even Michelle making eggs looks like she's bad at it.

Sorry for the rant, but man, it just does not make sense. Surely they could learn a lot from some cooking shows or something -- how defrauding could that be?

Michael seems to have it down though -- it is my understanding the her sewing is good and she does a lot of it. She seems rare in the sense that she has really developed a classic homemaking skill to be way above your average bear.

Yep that is so true. It wouldn't take much to do a once-a-month (or for that herd, once-a-week lol) cooking spree and having great stuff in the freezer to just thaw on the counter. The way Jessa used the knife just kind of proves they really don't have much experience... guess what a mom doesn't know she can't pass on. Sad.

That's what came to mind too as ugly on the grown-up end of the spectrum, grey and yellow. With CHEVRON!!! :roll:

I think there's a high likelihood that we're going to see some chevrons at the Jill/Derick wedding transfer of authori-tah.

Yep that is so true. It wouldn't take much to do a once-a-month (or for that herd, once-a-week lol) cooking spree and having great stuff in the freezer to just thaw on the counter. The way Jessa used the knife just kind of proves they really don't have much experience... guess what a mom doesn't know she can't pass on. Sad.

I love once a month cooking. It is so easy to just pull something out of the freezer after a long day at work. It keeps me from doing take out on a regular basis. There are meal of the month clubs in many cities. You can also get together with a group of friends. Plan menus that use many of the same ingredient (change out spices and meats). Split up the cost of the ingredients between everyone and spend a day at someones house prepping meals for the month.

In the picture where she is posing with John in a hall of the church, it looks like she's wearing thick white hoop earrings, like the ones she's fond with her day to day outfits. It's an odd choice for your wedding day. I do love that veil though.

And yeah, the handle of the bouquet is jacked.

Do we know who makes the cakes for the Bates girls' weddings? They always look very ...homemade.

I noticed the earrings too. The look was close to being so lovely... the veil, dress, and shoes are all very nice. And then she added the cheap looking claire's accessories hoop earrings. bleh.

You know about the cake, I believe Kelly's sister makes them as her gift to the couple. I know she made them for Erin and Zach's weddings, so I would assume she would make one for Alyssa's. I think the quality kind of reflects that it's homemade, and probably by someone that isn't into Gothard. So, I can't snark on the cake so much, knowing that.

I noticed the earrings too. The look was close to being so lovely... the veil, dress, and shoes are all very nice. And then she added the cheap looking claire's accessories hoop earrings. bleh.

The Bates' girls aren't allowed to pierce their ears, so they make due with clip-ons. I'm guessing that's the best she could find.

Though, what in the world is the matter with piereced ears I do not know. :?

I knew a fundie lite family during high school where the daughters were not allowed to pierce their ears until "they got married and asked their husbands for permission."

I knew a fundie lite family during high school where the daughters were not allowed to pierce their ears until "they got married and asked their husbands for permission."

That is scary. Ear lobe submission :lol:

"Nope honey, your whole being is owned by someone you haven't met"

My grandmother and mother don't have pierced ears, so I find myself always on the look out for decent clip-ons, and I'm here to tell you she could have done better in this department--just look on etsy and you can find some simple, elegant clip-ons. In this particular case, she would have done better to have no earrings at all... :?

Aw...screw me, waiting to ask your husband's permission to pierce your ears?? I don't even know where to begin with how messed up that idea is to me.

That is scary. Ear lobe submission :lol:

"Nope honey, your whole being is owned by someone you haven't met"

Don't the Kelly 2-Chicken-Breasts/LIAS family have that rule?

(Note: I forgot her real last name :lol: )

The sad thing is, the daughter who broke the rule (and got punished for it) ended up dying her senior year of meningitis. I always wondered if her parents ever regretted getting angry with her over something so stupid. What a waste of energy.

No kidding! What do they do all day if not learning the finer arts of homemaking, playing an instrument, painting, sewing, all that fluffy stuff? Guess it's like the Maxwells - just the sheer number of people in the house would be exhausting and take up energy. :lol: I still can't believe the Duggars served Ben a crap supper of pepper and onion stir-fry on styro plates when he came to ask Jessa to court. Everyday life for them is so one-size-fits-all that it seems like they would have put a little effort into making it special just knowing he'd be there, especially on a day they were taping.

I remember this episode where a highly renowned radio minister had been invited to their house for dinner. Michelle was a HUGE fan of this guy and had been listening to his sermons via radio since she was young. Dinner was surprisingly casual and I couldn't believe my eyes when the Duggar family served that poor man tater tot casserole for dinner on plastic plates.

I sometimes wonder if it's a cultural thing for people in the South not to be so concerned with being fancy because they show love in other ways. I don't know if it was that or just laziness on their part.

Don't the Kelly 2-Chicken-Breasts/LIAS family have that rule?

(Note: I forgot her real last name :lol: )

The Coghlan family (LIAS) used to. I say used to cause they also used to forbid their daughters from dying or cutting their hair on the grounds that they would have to ask their future husband, but the older girls have been dying their hair and one girl cut and sold her hair.

I don't know what Kelly "two chicken breasts" Crawford demands of her daughters, but it wouldn't surprise me if she banned pre marital body modification/decoration.

The Coghlan family (LIAS) used to. I say used to cause they also used to forbid their daughters from dying or cutting their hair on the grounds that they would have to ask their future husband, but the older girls have been dying their hair and one girl cut and sold her hair.

I don't know what Kelly "two chicken breasts" Crawford demands of her daughters, but it wouldn't surprise me if she banned pre marital body modification/decoration.

Hahaha, why did I think they were the same person? Maybe because of the C names :D Thanks. I knew I saw it mentioned on here before.

I sometimes wonder if it's a cultural thing for people in the South not to be so concerned with being fancy because they show love in other ways. I don't know if it was that or just laziness on their part.

I know I can't speak for all of southern culture, but there's no way that that would pass the bar in any typical southern home to which I've ever been invited. If we want to go casual, we normally go for a barbeque, but people here can spend hours on BBQ if they really want to impress the neighbors.

Many homes go all out with the nice china and fancy crystal--gotta keep up with those Joneses!

I remember this episode where a highly renowned radio minister had been invited to their house for dinner. Michelle was a HUGE fan of this guy and had been listening to his sermons via radio since she was young. Dinner was surprisingly casual and I couldn't believe my eyes when the Duggar family served that poor man tater tot casserole for dinner on plastic plates.

I don't think that is it. When I think South, I kind of think of "Southern Hospitality". My grandmother, very Southern, breaks out the Waterford crystal for guests, kind of expected to be ready to have refreshments for guests (even unexpected). Sure, for family it can be less fancy but in general, Southern Hospitality is kind of a big thing and many people practice it. I have a friend who is the epitome of a Southern Belle and she is fantastic at it (and making pie).

I was raised just on the edge of what might be considered the South. I have less of it cause college ("Welcome to my home, can I get you some ramen?") but I still try to have drinks ready to go. Sugar rims for guests on their mixed drinks, garnish and the like.

I don't think it's a Southern thing. I think it's a low-class and lazy thing.

I don't think that is it. When I think South, I kind of think of "Southern Hospitality". My grandmother, very Southern, breaks out the Waterford crystal for guests, kind of expected to be ready to have refreshments for guests (even unexpected). Sure, for family it can be less fancy but in general, Southern Hospitality is kind of a big thing and many people practice it. I have a friend who is the epitome of a Southern Belle and she is fantastic at it (and making pie).

I was raised just on the edge of what might be considered the South. I have less of it cause college ("Welcome to my home, can I get you some ramen?") but I still try to have drinks ready to go. Sugar rims for guests on their mixed drinks, garnish and the like.

My grandmother did too, bless her heart! She sent me to etiquette classes as a child. So now I know which fork to eat with which to eat the green tomato aspic. :ew:

That's interesting, it might be a way for the Duggars to show love, kind of a humility thing. But with all those older girls (and boys), they'd have plenty of hands to do prep work and setting the table. They're also ATI which is rumored to be picky about staying slim, (not sure where i heard that) so maybe food just has kind of become a non-issue. Sad for the guys the girls marry, though. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

I know I can't speak for all of southern culture, but there's no way that that would pass the bar in any typical southern home to which I've ever been invited. If we want to go casual, we normally go for a barbeque, but people here can spend hours on BBQ if they really want to impress the neighbors. Many homes go all out with the nice china and fancy crystal--gotta keep up with those Joneses!
Seconded! I've even known folks who had totally useless things like a pickle/relish tray at every guest meal. Candied Beets! yum lol

When I think South, I kind of think of "Southern Hospitality". My grandmother, very Southern, breaks out the Waterford crystal for guests, kind of expected to be ready to have refreshments for guests (even unexpected). Sure, for family it can be less fancy but in general, Southern Hospitality is kind of a big thing and many people practice it. I have a friend who is the epitome of a Southern Belle and she is fantastic at it (and making pie).

Haha! Yes. My hubby's brother was staying with us for a while and one day i was so worn out i just made ramen and told him 'welcome to the family.' as a joke. Tho i did make it the way he requested. :D I guess it just depends on the guests but growing up we were taught that people feel special when you put effort into meals... it would be kind of nice not to have to live up to that standard!

I have never been a guest in a southern home that did not take hospitality to the level of religious observance. That always means that a guest gets the best the house has to offer, on the best serving ware the house has. Even in a casual setting like BBQ, proprieties concerning food and presentation are observed. Michelle is just bone ass lazy.

Alyssa's dress and veil were beautiful. I also totally give a pass on the cake because like twinmamma, I hold the taste of a wedding cake above all else. Doubly so if it is an auntie making it for the Bates weddings. Even a less than perfect decorating job takes time and love.

Now those colors and those wedding party outfits are triggering my memories of the many, many, horrible and tacky 80s weddings I either went to or was in. Cotton candy colored panty hose ladies, read it here and weep. The bitch actually had the nerve to divorce 3 years ago. I keep the pictures for future blackmailing purposes. In other weddings, there were the puffy sleeves, the dyed to match pink shoes, the floppy hats, did I mention all the horrid shades of pink human beings are capable of developing? The Bates bridesmaid dresses were probably first worn in the 80s, may that time period in wedding fashion be cursed and blotted out.

I'm really curious as well as to what Michael's wedding will be like. I can't quite picture her having anything like the ones we've seen.

I completely agree. I feel like hers will be very classy and elegant with pastels.. for no particular reason. Lol

Archived