IGNORED

Penn Jillette - "I don't know"

Kitten

Interesting read by Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller fame)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/16/j ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I especially like this quote:

"... no one is 2 to the 300 millionth power times smarter than me. No one is even 2 to the 300 millionth times smarter than a squirrel."

Even though Penn Jillette is a pretty rabid misogynist, I have to agree with him on this. That's my spiritual "belief" right now; "I don't know!"

Why is he a misogynist? Not arguing with you, but genuinely curious - I don't know much about him. I watched "Bullshit" a few times but, although I'm an atheist and a skeptic myself, I don't like smug dismissiveness in anyone, so the show (and his other ventures) haven't appealed to me.

Why is he a misogynist? Not arguing with you, but genuinely curious

I admit I'm curious about this too. I do know that he and his wife have an open relationship. Not something I would ever want, but at least it's out in the open and no one is sneaking around.

He lives out in the desert not far from me. I've seen his car around town. It's a pink Mini Cooper (obviously modified, he's very tall) with a license plate that says "atheist".

He is very well known in Las Vegas for his charity work. He and Teller are involved in many causes, especially the annual AIDS walk/run.

He always loses me in the delivery. I think, from what I've read and understand, that he and I are on the same page as far as belief, or lack of it and what it means and how to define it.

To me though, he goes 'too' far. He gives too much explanation, too many comparisons and justifications. It's like he doesn't know how to quit while he's ahead and doesn't know that a message is best given without details.

Much like Michael Moore. I agree with his messages more often than not. The delivery loses me, though.

Sometimes, trying too hard does more harm than good.

I always think of the calling in sick thing. Employers don't need reasons, validation or justification. Say you are sick and not coming to work and leave it at that. When you start getting specifics and details, chances are you've rehearsed your message and story to cover all possible bases and employers know that. They can tell.

He's going to be at a writer's roundtable this Thursday in LA. He's going to be interviewed by Kevin Pollack. I wish I could go but I'm too itchy to sit for more than a few minutes.

He's pretty strident in his atheism but that's his business not mine. We are hoping to see the show at the Rio when we go to Vegas the next time.

I like him a lot more since I watched all the episodes of Bullshit on Netflix.

I don't think he over-explains. I think he points out subtleties in arguments in interesting ways, and that takes a lot of words.

Not sure if I can come up with any specific examples but I consider him a Bill Maher type. Lots of talk about his "conquests," he holds a patent for hot-tub jets that are pleasing to a woman, etc. I generally find him condescending to interviewers. I've watched a few BSs on topics of interest to me, but never fell in love with it. :shrug:

Archived