IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

I don't understand why Ben's prospects are bad.

He's 18 of course he's not rolling in it now. He is going to college and getting some experience at the insurance agency.

I do think that he will move to Tonitown and live in the Smuggar house until he finishes school. By age 25 or so, he should be able to have a decent job and that's fairly normal. With the income from the tv show, they should be fine until he finishes school. It just isn't that expensive to support two adults in a free house.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why Ben's prospects are bad.

He's 18 of course he's not rolling in it now. He is going to college and getting some experience at the insurance agency.

I do think that he will move to Tonitown and live in the Smuggar house until he finishes school. By age 25 or so, he should be able to have a decent job and that's fairly normal. With the income from the tv show, they should be fine until he finishes school. It just isn't that expensive to support two adults in a free house.

I think you're forgetting about the slew of kids they'll have before he finishes school.

I agree with you, Kelsey. Ben's prospects aren't bad. He's got that windshield repair buisness (if he's still operating it, not sure) and he's working for a real estate business. He seems ready and willing to work hard instead of just mooching off people. What is he studying? Business and ministry, something like that? The area he lives in has relatively low cost of living and housing prices. They both have families who would help them out in a pinch, and then yeah, the money from TLC. I have a feeling they'll be fine. Even if they get married when he's 19 and start having kids right away, you don't have 20 kids at once. By the time he was 25 they'd only have 3-4 at most.

I hope it was the camera's or the staging scenes, but I didn't think Jessa was into Ben at all. Even her side hugs weren't that into it. It seemed so awkward and forced, and I started to wonder if she was embarrassed, or smug, or ungrateful. But they said that's just her personality, which is fine, but show a little enthusiasm. He seemed WAY more into her than she is into him. For all the bad things I've read about him on here with his super anti abortion stuff, he seemed like a nice kid. One who I have to wonder if he didn't see a famous girl and think, that's in driving distance of me, and got lucky that he snagged her.

I thought the kid was cute who said he wants to buy some of Ben's cologne. I also felt the older girls had genuine reactions to Ben asking for courtship, which leads me to think that wasn't something done just for the cameras.

I think you're forgetting about the slew of kids they'll have before he finishes school.

I really don't think that Jessa is going to give into the broodmare status. Being the oldest boy and only married child of JB and Michelle, pressure was on Josh to pop out babies and he didn't really understand the ramifications (I don't know if he does yet, though I'm sure being so far from built in babysitters helps). Jessa, on the other hand, has 2 others to share the pressure with and knows exactly what it's like to care for babies and young children. I will honestly be surprised if they have more than 4-6 kids. And she will likely space it. There are plenty of ways to space babies without using commercial birth control methods.

To be honest I see a lot of myself in Jessa. And I know that if I were super into a guy, and he came to ask me to be in a serious relationship, and there was a camera crew filming it, and my family was all around, I would look and act exactly like her. When you're nervous and not very romantic and not given to displays or emotion or public affection, you can end up seeming cold and unenthused, but it doesn't mean that you actually are. And I hope for both their sakes that she really is into him, and just isn't great at expressing it in front of their parents and siblings and all the cameras.

I never viewed Michelle as an outright beyotch until I heard her sing songingly say "You can't do this yeeeeeet."

+1

WTH was up with her shoehorning herself into the front seat of the car, between Ben and Jessa? WTF? He had trouble using the shift because she was in the way.

The front passenger seat, particularly in a car with a stick shift, is hardly close to the driver's seat. Not at all.

Was that just for show?

I really don't think that Jessa is going to give into the broodmare status. Being the oldest boy and only married child of JB and Michelle, pressure was on Josh to pop out babies and he didn't really understand the ramifications (I don't know if he does yet, though I'm sure being so far from built in babysitters helps). Jessa, on the other hand, has 2 others to share the pressure with and knows exactly what it's like to care for babies and young children. I will honestly be surprised if they have more than 4-6 kids. And she will likely space it. There are plenty of ways to space babies without using commercial birth control methods.

She could absolutely choose NFP if Ben allows it. But it will most certainly be questioned a few years down the road when she isn't popping 'em out at the speed of light.

It will be interesting to see if the J&A "leaving our family up to God" is included in these weddings.

ETA: I can't spell

Not really. I mean we don't know how much income they'll get from the show and he does already work. Babies in their younger years just aren't that expensive especially Duggar style. All they'll need is some cloth diapers and a vibrator :lol:

What mostly makes babies expensive is our insistence on having lots of unnecessary items (Diaper genies, themed nursery, bottle warmers, etc) The basics are pretty inexpensive clothes and blankets can be bought used for like $1 or even brand new somewhere like Kohl's for under $5.

I'm assuming they'd choose to breastfeed (if able) so there probably wouldn't be much expense there.

As far as medical care, that's hard to say because you could have a homebirth for cheap or an expensive hospital birth depending on what's necessary to keep Mom/Baby safe. If medically able, I'm sure all births will be free in the form of Jill.

I thought they were in a pickup truck. So the choice was for Jessa to sit in the middle and be squished against Ben (NO WAY! That could stir up desires that can't righteously be fulfilled and defraud someone!) or for Michelle to be squished against him. They chose the latter, and saved themselves from any unrighteous desires.

On another note, I also really, really cannot see Jessa having kids in the double digits. I just can't even imagine it. I don't know what's going to happen... I know they don't believe in birth control... somehow I feel like she might be able to overcome all the indoctrination if she gets fed up enough and tell Ben that they have to use birth control, or NFP, or something. I hope so, for her sake, unless she really does want eleventy children... but I can't see it.

Jim Bob and Michelle are going to hand this to their girls on their wedding day. larrytemple.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/actual-1955-good-housekeeping-article/

'Graduation & a Surprise' episode description:

Josiah is graduating and the family cleans up before welcoming 400 friends to celebrate. An unexpected phone call with a big surprise.

OK, so what is the unexpected surprise phone call? Derick calling Jill to invite her to visit him in Nepal?

Observations

-JB suggests they put off marriage for 4 or 5 years

-JB suggests Ben join the military (I thought they were opposed)

-Ben fixes windshields for a living

-Ben isn't as arrogant as I thought he be, and he was very nervous in front of the cameras/family, so much stuttering!

- John David comes off as arrogant as Josh in the head shots where he talks about their role in their sisters courtships. The Jana's 24 comment rubbed me the wrong way

- Jessa is described as seeing the world in black and white. So much for critical thinking.

Same here, also! Also from Germany and would really like to see it. :D

Ooh I'm also in Germany!

I think some people from Toronto, Canada had a meetup (I used to live there and I remember some people talking about the possibility of talking offline) It would be fun if we had a European Free Jinger meetup :D

To be honest I see a lot of myself in Jessa. And I know that if I were super into a guy, and he came to ask me to be in a serious relationship, and there was a camera crew filming it, and my family was all around, I would look and act exactly like her. When you're nervous and not very romantic and not given to displays or emotion or public affection, you can end up seeming cold and unenthused, but it doesn't mean that you actually are. And I hope for both their sakes that she really is into him, and just isn't great at expressing it in front of their parents and siblings and all the cameras.

I think part of it is that she sees how ridiculous her parents look on camera mooning all over each other. She never was really allowed to grow out of that stage where EVERTYHING is embarrassing. And now everyone is watching her.

Ok this recap is too syrupy sweet.

hollywoodlife.com/2014/04/01/19-kids-and-counting-recap-season-8-premiere-jessa-courts-ben/comment-page-1/#comment-3249248

Also, this may be Ben's first COURTSHIP, but that doesnt mean he hasnt DATED anyone before lol.

Was anybody else not very unhappy to hear JD admit he likes being a bachelor?! I just can't see him with a parcel of kids...:

His comment that he (and Joseph) may never get married sounded like something that would come out of Jackson's mouth.

Jackson: I'm never going to get married. Right Hannie. It'll be just you and me. We'll live together when we grow up.

Hannie: [eye-roll]

Turns out that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Who'da thunk it?

I like Ben much more after watching this episode than I did before (you know, from judging his personality by his pictures, lol). First impressions are telling me that he's a good kid, shy, a little quiet, and that he is in WAY over his head with this one.

I've always liked Jessa, and hearing her described in such terms as she was, it gives me much hope for her future. However, I'm not thinking that her future is going to be with this particular young man.

Perhaps courtship would be an easier pill to swallow if the two people involved didn't meet-court-getengaged-andgetmarried all within a 6 month time frame. I hope that these two take their time and actually get to know one another. I hope that they tell their parents to screw off, and go out on a date together, just the two of them. Ben specifically said that he enjoys his time with Jessa the most when it's just the two of them (plus the chaperone, of course). Well, then be a frigging man, step up, and tell her parents that you need some one-on-one time. Even Kelly Bates made a comment on her blog about the 'courters' being able to tell their parents if they needed more alone time and space. I think that she and Gil "get it" - that in their culture, these young adults are seriously considering marriage and should be allowed to be alone for a few minutes at a time (John and Alyssa were alone in his car after the engagement, he drove her to a restaurant or something. Notice how Kelly was not squished in between the couple). However, on the other hand, I think Boob thinks of all of this as a joke. Kind of like, let's see how much I can torture these young guys before they take off screaming for the hills. I feel that Boob is turning his daughter's courtships into an extended prank, where as the Bates are at least 'trying' to do it the right way.

What I don't get is they are grown adults, yet live under some authority of their parents. I get they were raised religious etc, but it is like there is no trust in the family. I mean if you raised your kids right having them date would mean you trust them. For a 21 year old to have to have no hand holding seems just... I don't know. This whole thing makes my brain wonky.

Jim Bob and Michelle are sooo obsessed with sex it drives me crazy. I know people who have held hands, hugged normally and kissed and yet never had sex until in their 30s. One guy I knew decided he just wanted to be a priest. I just think this extreme awkwardness really showed yesterday.

I keep waiting for the episode that says, "haha we were kidding the last 9 years. We are not fundie and this is all for show" :)

Scene: JB & Michelle's bedroom

JB: [wakes up, rubs his eyes, and shakes Michelle to awaken her) Michelle, I just had the strangest dream

Michelle: Leave me alone, I'm sleeping.

JB: (shakes Michelle again) Sweetie, my dream was crazy. We were fundy Christians. We didn't practice birth control and had 19 kids. Half of them were adults but still lived at home. They weren't allowed to date or even have private conversations with members of the opposite sex. They practiced this weird ritual called courtship, which was like pre-engagement, and the young adults still weren't allowed to hold hands. My head is spinning.

Michelle: Leave me alone! I want to sleep.

Caleb: (comes running into the room with Josh) Hey! What's going on? Dad, are you okay?

Michelle: Dad had a weird dream that we were crazy fundies and you two had 17 brothers and sisters.

Josh: Nope. It's just Caleb, me, and the two of you. Since we are all up, let's go pack the (VW) bus and leave early for Bonnaroo (http://www.bonnaroo.com)

I mean, I understand that by dating Jessa, you're pretty much dating the Duggars.

But in reality, Ben just wants Jessa! Can you imagine having to put up with Jim Bob Duggar for the rest of your life? His childishness, his competitiveness, his ridiculous pranks and jokes... ugh, no Duggar would be worth having Jim Bob in my life! Not even on the fringes.

This episode was awkward. Is Boob going to become more of a jerk because Jessa is courting?

Count on both Boob and Mullet to make the courtships about them. Becoming a bigger jerk (JB) or a courtship expert (Michelle) goes with the territory.

And then Jill proclaiming that she's in love with someone she's never met. WTF? He could be a serial killer for all they know. These people are stupid when it comes to their kids.

And then Jill proclaiming that she's in love with someone she's never met. WTF? He could be a serial killer for all they know. These people are stupid when it comes to their kids.

Anyone could be a serial killer. Even if you meet them in person.

Archived