IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

Where did I miss Jinger's depression? I know she said she'd been crying, but other than that she seemed completely normal to me, even kind of excited about the courtship.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely heard JD's "not!" and kind of liked it. To me it was like they were actually acting like typical gross teen-aged boys (a la beavis and butthead). I realize they're grown men, but at least it's a step up from an adult-child. Maybe in a few years they're actually mature beyond adolescent maturity, and hopefully, before they get married.

The way John David said and laughed and smiled it made it seem like getting married was something he was looking forward to doing. It left me with the impression that he was looking around to find the right woman.

ATI/Fundie girls are raised to be so homogeneous. Same look, same style, same manner, (basically) same hobbies, same goals in life....

What if that doesn't attract you? I can imagine it would be hard to find someone if you're just not into the ATI cookie-cutter girl.

Boys are at least allowed a LITTLE diversity. Not much, but a little.

I have not watched the duggars in years (seasons?) but I have been lurking on the fj forums so I watched last night. I do not think Ben's parents seemed "creepy". They seemed uncomfortable and were obviously trying to play to the cameras and the duggars way of thinking. I noticed that most of their relatives were obviously not fundie (or at least full fledged). I think it may be good that Ben and Jessa are marrying early. Ben may be gun ho about abortion, etc but I think once he and Jessa are on their own they will break free (at least from extremism).

I noticed the Star of David too, but it looked like the Israeli flag to me. I remember (I didn't DVR the episode so this is just from seeing it once) there being some other stickers on the luggage, like maybe she buys one for each country they visit and that is the luggage sticker she bought during their trip to Israel of the country's flag?

I just watched the episode on Amazon and had read this thread before that, so I was on special lookout for it. Although it was blue and white (the colors of the Israeli flag), it was in fact just the Star of David, not the Star of David on a white rectangle.

Two other notes: It's weird that Michelle 'side-hugs' her own kids. When I announced my engagement I got a full-on hug. I was under the impression that that's pretty normal between you know, a mother and a daughter who are expressing completely non-sexual affection. But then, I'm not a Duggar...

Also, I am damn glad that my father didn't pick my husband (well, period) but in particular, on my desires of what a proper husband should be at 12. If that were the case, it would have been something such as 'Must like horses...must like Whitney Houston...favorite color must be red...must drive a cool car, must like the beach'. We don't let 12-year-olds pick husbands for a reason, is what I'm getting at.

Oh, and if someone could die of second-hand awkwardness, this episode would have been the death of me.

Ooh I'm also in Germany!

I think some people from Toronto, Canada had a meetup (I used to live there and I remember some people talking about the possibility of talking offline) It would be fun if we had a European Free Jinger meetup :D

That would be pretty cool! Where in Germany do you all live? I'm from the greater Frankfurt area. :D

Re: JD I found his "not" comment immature and IMO he only wants to get married to have sex. My brother is 36 years old and living a happy bachelor life and has no desire for anything else. He has been able to have sex though so he was able to make a decision about his bachelorhood. He realizes he may not make/has no desire to be the best husband or father. If he had been raised in extreme fundie land there is NO WAY his wife or children would have been happy.

Where did I miss Jinger's depression? I know she said she'd been crying, but other than that she seemed completely normal to me, even kind of excited about the courtship.

It seemed, to me, that Jinger had no spark. Admittedly I have not watched the show in a long time so maybe it was more stark to me.

It seemed, to me, that Jinger had no spark. Admittedly I have not watched the show in a long time so maybe it was more stark to me.

Oh dear...I hope she isn't sent on a 'Journey to the Heart...' :(

I hope not! I think the Duggars might be (don't throw tomatoes at me) on their way to fundie lite. There is NO WAY their children will all follow this lifestyle so it is time to loosen up a bit.

My goodness! Some of you are pretty harsh on poor JD! (And he's is one of my favorites.) He and Joseph were joking when they talked about Jana not being married at 24! I just watched it again and they were definitely joking. JD and Joseph sounded brother-ish to me, giving their sisters and any potential boy friends a hard time.

JD was also joking about not wanting to get married. I also heard his "NOT" added. I keep hoping that John David and Jana will find great people, get married, and go fundie lite. No Gothardism and/or quiverfull.

Joseph was the brother who asked Ben how he planned to support Jessa, not John David. Ben should probably be a senior in high school now, not an 18 year old heading toward marriage. How many 18 year olds can support wives and children well? Since Jessa won't be allowed to have a job, Ben will need to work on lots of windshields. Does he work for someone or have his own business?

I think nearly everything about Ben was staged for this episode, including the visit with his family. I didn't see much chemistry between Ben and Jessa, but they had to be nervous about filming together. And this was most likely Ben's first time on TLC's camera. (It took Anna a while to relax in front of the cameras.) The lack of chemistry and their awkwardness together probably disappears when they are in normal life. At least I hope so. It is kind of concerning that one of the boys mentioned that Ben was really funny when Jessa wasn't around, but was quiet when she was there. I sure hope that each does get to know the true Ben and Jessa, not just know the "proper" versions of each other. They do look much more normal and very happy together in photos that have been posted previously.

The best part of this episode was Jill's guy, Derick. He is not ATI and attended college. That bodes well for any children she and Derick might have.

That would be pretty cool! Where in Germany do you all live? I'm from the greater Frankfurt area. :D

Another German here! I live close to Würzburg. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

So I sat throught the awkwardness that was a majority of the show last night. A couple things I thought the whole oh Ben why don't you go ask her to court after it was a done deal with the parents seemed so odd. Then again it is a more extreme version of men asking for premission to marry someones daughter. Then the whole uh 30 seconds guys, was a WTH moment for me. I thought it was odd JD was the one asking about his ability to provide. Then I had to chuckle thinking, gee JD are you going to be able to support a wife and gaggle of kids with your fledgling towing company. Jana in the few shots as usual had this depressed look, especially when Jessa was picking out outfits. I wonder what her thoughts are and found it really interesting they keep avoiding her for talking head segments. The segment with Joy and Grandma during the talking heads kind of cracked me up. Joy had this look of really could I just leave. Ben's parents seemed intense and I thought it was strange they basically seem to live in the woods. Seems like most fundies prefer to have a very isolated existence. Should be interesting to see how the strangness of the courtship process is highlighted this season.

What I don't get is why that wouldn't cause desires with Michelle that cant be righteously fulfilled. She seems to like Ben, and then she's all pressed up against him.... *shudders*

Somehow I suspect that it's only the desires of the men/boys that they are worried about. Either because only the boys' desire matters, or because they think it's only the boys that become too tempted.

Isn't Journey to the Heart where they send girls to extinguish their spark?

Re: JD I found his "not" comment immature and IMO he only wants to get married to have sex. My brother is 36 years old and living a happy bachelor life and has no desire for anything else. He has been able to have sex though so he was able to make a decision about his bachelorhood. He realizes he may not make/has no desire to be the best husband or father. If he had been raised in extreme fundie land there is NO WAY his wife or children would have been happy.

I think judging someone's desires in life off of ONE "not" joke is ridiculous. We don't know anything about JD. I can count the number of times he's spoken on the show on one hand. We also have no idea what kind of husband/father he will be.

I noticed the Star of David too, but it looked like the Israeli flag to me. I remember (I didn't DVR the episode so this is just from seeing it once) there being some other stickers on the luggage, like maybe she buys one for each country they visit and that is the luggage sticker she bought during their trip to Israel of the country's flag? I can still see someone finding its placement inappropriate, but if the stickers are being sold in the Tel Aviv airport as luggage labels, I don't think Jessa/Duggars can be blamed all that much for using it for that purpose.

I did DVR the episode and paused it on that part to see. They looked to be luggage stickers. There was defiantly the Star of David and one that said Ireland with the Irish flag. The other two I couldn't really tell but I was thinking they were England and Scotland side those were the other 2 countries they went to on that trip.

My goodness! Some of you are pretty harsh on poor JD! (And he's is one of my favorites.) He and Joseph were joking when they talked about Jana not being married at 24! I just watched it again and they were definitely joking. JD and Joseph sounded brother-ish to me, giving their sisters and any potential boy friends a hard time.

JD was also joking about not wanting to get married. I also heard his "NOT" added. I keep hoping that John David and Jana will find great people, get married, and go fundie lite. No Gothardism and/or quiverfull.

Joseph was the brother who asked Ben how he planned to support Jessa, not John David. Ben should probably be a senior in high school now, not an 18 year old heading toward marriage. How many 18 year olds can support wives and children well? Since Jessa won't be allowed to have a job, Ben will need to work on lots of windshields. Does he work for someone or have his own business?

I think nearly everything about Ben was staged for this episode, including the visit with his family. I didn't see much chemistry between Ben and Jessa, but they had to be nervous about filming together. And this was most likely Ben's first time on TLC's camera. (It took Anna a while to relax in front of the cameras.) The lack of chemistry and their awkwardness together probably disappears when they are in normal life. At least I hope so. It is kind of concerning that one of the boys mentioned that Ben was really funny when Jessa wasn't around, but was quiet when she was there. I sure hope that each does get to know the true Ben and Jessa, not just know the "proper" versions of each other. They do look much more normal and very happy together in photos that have been posted previously.

The best part of this episode was Jill's guy, Derick. He is not ATI and attended college. That bodes well for any children she and Derick might have.

JD may be a red-blooded, sexually-repressed, 100% 'Merican, fundy guy, but I still think he is a dullard. I have never heard him say anything interesting or intelligent. The comments he made last night sounded like they were coming from a middle-schooler. She's still not married because I chase away all the boys who are interested in her. ha! ha! ha! (not a direct quote).

JD is a 24-year-old MAN who lives under the control of his parents and sleeps in the same room with 7 of his brothers. I commend him for clearing the property and getting title to the bank-owned house. That was hard work. But how on earth can he be operating and growing his towing company if he is constantly traveling with his parents and siblings, and asking "how high" when JB says jump. If not for the TLC money, he would have to work his ass off towing cars and/or doing menial labor to afford a house, wife and kids.

JD is just a dorky man-child, likely with below-average to average intelligence. If he works hard he may be an acceptable catch for some poor fundy girl, but he's certainly not a great catch. Awkward Ben may be a better catch: he's better looking, attends community college, and he's allowed to go out to play unchaperoned.

Anyone could be a serial killer. Even if you meet them in person.

Lol, I read this as "even if you meet them in prison". It put a much more interesting spin on things.

And JD's comment about wanting to remain a bachelor was definitely, 100%, a joke.

Also, was the extended Seewald family gathering on the show the same one we saw pictures of from Facebook a while back? Or did they have more than one party time of fellowship.

Well said Ralar. I'm actually glad to hear JD talk a little. I feel he has been quiet long enough. Really want to know how he feels. I think that was a shitty thing he said about Jana, not sure if he meant to be offensive. And I just thought about the fact that he is his own boss...so he can take as many days off as he wants because TLC is paying more than that towing business at the moment. At least it's something to fall back on, but I don't think it will help support 20 kids :lol:

I feel so so so sorry for Joy--2 sisters will most certainly be gone by the end of the year and she will have to do double, nay, triple duty in the kitchen and in the "schoolroom."

Michelle loves to carry on about her babies are "growing up and leaving the nest"-- she fails to mention that she still has ELEVEN children (everyone below Josiah who apparently just "graduated") to "Educate." ELEVEN is still a whole F**king bunch.

JD may be a red-blooded, sexually-repressed, 100% 'Merican, fundy guy, but I still think he is a dullard. I have never heard him say anything interesting or intelligent. The comments he made last night sounded like they were coming from a middle-schooler. She's still not married because I chase away all the boys who are interested in her. ha! ha! ha! (not a direct quote).

JD is a 24-year-old MAN who lives under the control of his parents and sleeps in the same room with 7 of his brothers. I commend him for clearing the property and getting title to the bank-owned house. That was hard work. But how on earth can he be operating and growing his towing company if he is constantly traveling with his parents and siblings, and asking "how high" when JB says jump. If not for the TLC money, he would have to work his ass off towing cars and/or doing menial labor to afford a house, wife and kids.

JD is just a dorky man-child, likely with below-average to average intelligence. If he works hard he may be an acceptable catch for some poor fundy girl, but he's certainly not a great catch. Awkward Ben may be a better catch: he's better looking, attends community college, and he's allowed to go out to play unchaperoned.

You know, it seems really difficult for some people to comprehend, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong or less than or undesirable about people who hold jobs towing cars, or working in construction, or landscaping, or building pools or any of the other many regular jobs that millions of people hold.

Believe it or not, getting a college degree does not guarantee that someone is intelligent, caring, responsible or in any other way a good person or potential partner.

I agree that the Duggar's discouraging higher education will be a drawback for many of their kids who might want careers that require it. Or even just enjoy academics in general. But not everyone wants or needs to pursue a degree or have a professional level career in order to live a happy, fulfilling life. Not every young man ( or woman) wants to be the center of attention and is comfortable in front of a camera. There are many decent, hard working, quiet people who just live there lives, what in the world is wrong with that? The guy made a couple of joking remarks about his sisters and about his own prospects, that hardly makes him a dullard.

The courting scenes all reminded me of first crushes in junior high. I can't IMAGINE what life would be life if I had married my first crush. Jessa is a beautiful woman with some spunk; it's not hard to imagine her getting tired of this guy after a few years and looking around for other options. I have always liked Jill, but the whole "in LOVE with someone I have never met" thing? Jr. high. Otherwise, I'm beginning to think that both John David and Jana are a bit slow.

Archived