IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

They are allowed to use the internet and they socialize with their peers(and Amy Duggar). I think most fundies know about pop culture. The Morton's, who are way more fundie than the Duggars, watch "Downton Abbey". I agree that the Duggars have changed, but they are still fundies.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who thought Ben looked blazed as hell? His eyes were glazed/ red looking.

He's super awkward in camera. Jessa is hilarious. I don't see her having a billion kids.

Sorry, I don't get the east coast feed any longer so I go on what y'all say. Although I don't know if anyone can really discern what this kid means after hearing him speak for about two minutes. Who knows what he really means? These fundies are not very forthcoming with non-likeminded people, and although we're very good at fundiespeak, I don't think we can ever have all the lingo down.

I don't think that's what he meant. It was after they had some long theological conversation, and it was that he liked that she was intelligent and thought about things like that.

I think Jim Bob is a douche. He was going out of his way to think of things to make Ben feel awkward.

I kind of like Jessa's attitude, it was like she was saying shut up mom, Ben knows I don't like to cook and it's no big deal. lol

Jordyn is STILL my favorite. :)

FREE JORDYN

Hannie was quite taken with the lad, but I thought it was Jackson who thought he smelled nice and was "cute". It's no wonder the younger boys have never let poor Jackson play in any Howler games.

I'd like to hear more from Joy and Jeremiah, although I suspect there's a reason we don't. She's clearly not drunk too much of the purple punch and he's always had a sort of snarky charm about him.

Aside from that, an incredibly awkward and dull episode. Maybe Jill's courtship is Boob's backup in case things fall apart with Jessa's. It really hard to imagine strong-willed Jessa (was Boob implying she was a bit bitchy with his "harsh" and "rough around the edges" comment?) married to such an awkward, immature boy with no apparent career prospects beyond what Jim Bob decides to create for him. Once the afterglow of her first puppy love fades, she'll tire of him in short order.

I think she's the type of young woman who will make sure he's successful at whatever he does, and get him to do something else if he's not. I liked how they all described her as strong willed and harsh and seeing everything in black -and- white. She comes across as no - nonsense and like she takes charge and gets things done.

He could be a good balance to her, like they said. I know a few couples like this and they actually have done very well.

LEGOS!!!

But Legos fit together back to front. Donks, you dirty bird!

The level of awkwardness was off the charts on this show. Ben is ONLY 18 yrs old, Jenna is 20 yet they can only side hug their first courtmates. (I think I made that up)

When did they take hand holding off the table?

Hand holding is only for the engaged.

I hate the way Boob kind of giggles after he says something dumb.

I'm confused. How can you be in love with someone if you never met them? :roll: and doesn't love come after marriage? Don't wanna get pieces of your heart away. And michelle and Jim are ousted that she can't get pregnant.

I'm confused. How can you be in love with someone if you never met them? :roll: and doesn't love come after marriage? Don't wanna get pieces of your heart away.

Plenty of people fall in love online, nothing particularly eye-roll-worthy about that :) But I do agree that being in love and telling people you love them (which apparently both Jessa and Jill do) really seems more like "giving away pieces of your heart" than, say, holding hands. Weird. But why would love come after marriage? That doesn't really make any sense unless you're a proponent of arranged marriages, people tend to want to marry someone they love.

Plenty of people fall in love online, nothing particularly eye-roll-worthy about that :)

One word: Catfish...

It's not that I think that Jill can't be in love (although, lets face it, it's the blissful instalove of high school romances, it's not deep affection that is created over time). If either girl was dumped I think there would be very hurt emotions. I don't think the emotional damage is less because there was no physical relationship. I get how having sex, or very intimate phtsical interaction could be an emotional struggle if you only want to share that with only one person. I'll even give a nod to kissing, but I do not understand how sitting next to each other, holding hands, or front hugging will lessen the emotional trauma of a break up. Both girls seemed very smitten with there guy and would be quite heartbroken if they weren't the one to end it. Courtship logic doesn't make sense.

One word: Catfish...

Well, yes, that's a possibility. But I'm not saying that there aren't risks involved with online relationships, I'm just saying that people do fall in love online, and I know several people who are now married to someone they met online. No reason to judge.

Was anybody else not very unhappy to hear JD admit he likes being a bachelor?! I just can't see him with a parcel of kids...:

To me, he sounds developmentally disabled. Or, maybe he's just an oaf.

I think he's inherited the Duggar "smugness" gene.

Was anybody else not very unhappy to hear JD admit he likes being a bachelor?! I just can't see him with a parcel of kids...:

He was joking. At the end of that clip he says "not". :(

JD: "What are you going to do to support my sister if installing windshields doesn't work out or isn't enough?" (or words to that effect)

Ben: "I'll do whatever it takes."

OH, were it that easy!

I'm kind of surprised that JB is allowing this to proceed, given Ben's dismal financial/job prospects. Really, I am.

Besides: He is a BOY. A CHILD.

I never viewed Michelle as an outright beyotch until I heard her sing songingly say "You can't do this yeeeeeet."

I never viewed Michelle as an outright beyotch until I heard her sing songingly say "You can't do this yeeeeeet."

What was Jessa and Ben's reactions to that?

The level of awkwardness was off the charts on this show. Ben is ONLY 18 yrs old, Jenna is 20 yet they can only side hug their first courtmates. (I think I made that up)

When did they take hand holding off the table?

Jessa is 21. It doesn't always have to be, but in my experience there is very often a big difference in maturity level between an 18 year old and a 21 year old, particularly if the 18 year old is a guy and the 21 year old is a girl. Ben might be nice, but he's not really in Jessa's league.

Yay! Jessa gets to have personality traits beyond those of a good fundie daughter!

Ahem. That was painful to type.

Back to the snark:

Thank you, Buzzard! I don't have cable, and am too embarrassed to let my roommate know I watch this. (I deleted it off our joint Netflix account before she saw it).

Perhaps this episode was especially boring because we knew what was coming? That leaves the only interesting parts being what the unscripted children would say.

Why would Jessa need to practice cooking? She's been on the kitchen shift as a J'slave for years, right? Fundie meals, she can make. Healthy, small meals, though, maybe she wants to improve on those?

'You are my sunshine' is plenty sad for a Maxwell. They could even make it about being alone without Jesus. Or is it the music is too cheerful?

What I don't get is they are grown adults, yet live under some authority of their parents. I get they were raised religious etc, but it is like there is no trust in the family. I mean if you raised your kids right having them date would mean you trust them. For a 21 year old to have to have no hand holding seems just... I don't know. This whole thing makes my brain wonky.

Jim Bob and Michelle are sooo obsessed with sex it drives me crazy. I know people who have held hands, hugged normally and kissed and yet never had sex until in their 30s. One guy I knew decided he just wanted to be a priest. I just think this extreme awkwardness really showed yesterday.

I keep waiting for the episode that says, "haha we were kidding the last 9 years. We are not fundie and this is all for show" :)

Jessa is 21. It doesn't always have to be, but in my experience there is very often a big difference in maturity level between an 18 year old and a 21 year old, particularly if the 18 year olhttp://aboardtheworld.comd is a guy and the 21 year old is a girl. Ben might be nice, but he's not really in Jessa's league.

Everyone keeps talking about different maturity levels but were talking about a girl who is treated like a child at the age of 21. It's quite difficult to become mature without the ability to make your own decisions and mistakes. So I doubt there's too much of a difference between the two maturity wise.

:lol: I'm beginning to wonder if I watched a different show!

I thought JD was joking. He said he and Joseph were going to remain bachelors forever and then stopped, big smile, and said NOT! I came away from it thinking he has something going on or is seriously wife hunting.

JD: "What are you going to do to support my sister if installing windshields doesn't work out or isn't enough?" (or words to that effect)

Ben: "I'll do whatever it takes."

OH, were it that easy!

I'm kind of surprised that JB is allowing this to proceed, given Ben's dismal financial/job prospects. Really, I am.

Besides: He is a BOY. A CHILD.

JB was married when he was 19, and worked a number of super-menial jobs, so maybe he thinks that Ben can work his way up like he did. Early marriage is extolled among quiverfull people, and JB probably thinks Ben's youth will make him more malleable.

Archived