IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

You know, it seems really difficult for some people to comprehend, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong or less than or undesirable about people who hold jobs towing cars, or working in construction, or landscaping, or building pools or any of the other many regular jobs that millions of people hold.

Believe it or not, getting a college degree does not guarantee that someone is intelligent, caring, responsible or in any other way a good person or potential partner.

I agree that the Duggar's discouraging higher education will be a drawback for many of their kids who might want careers that require it. Or even just enjoy academics in general. But not everyone wants or needs to pursue a degree or have a professional level career in order to live a happy, fulfilling life. Not every young man ( or woman) wants to be the center of attention and is comfortable in front of a camera. There are many decent, hard working, quiet people who just live there lives, what in the world is wrong with that? The guy made a couple of joking remarks about his sisters and about his own prospects, that hardly makes him a dullard.

I second all of this.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, it seems really difficult for some people to comprehend, but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong or less than or undesirable about people who hold jobs towing cars, or working in construction, or landscaping, or building pools or any of the other many regular jobs that millions of people hold.

Believe it or not, getting a college degree does not guarantee that someone is intelligent, caring, responsible or in any other way a good person or potential partner.

I agree that the Duggar's discouraging higher education will be a drawback for many of their kids who might want careers that require it. Or even just enjoy academics in general. But not everyone wants or needs to pursue a degree or have a professional level career in order to live a happy, fulfilling life. Not every young man ( or woman) wants to be the center of attention and is comfortable in front of a camera. There are many decent, hard working, quiet people who just live there lives, what in the world is wrong with that? The guy made a couple of joking remarks about his sisters and about his own prospects, that hardly makes him a dullard.

I agree 100% with your comments about education. But shouldn't a 24-year-old man, who presumably graduated from homeskool/high school 6-8 years ago be somewhat settled into a career/job and an adult life? The Duggar kids are not allowed to pursue an education and are not encouraged to pursue a trade. How is that a good thing?

Unfortunately, the adult children are not allowed to be hard working people who just live their lives.

So Bens dad totally reminds me of Steve Carell! He gets a +1 for that in my book. Also they do (Bens parents) seem very genuine.

:lol: I'm beginning to wonder if I watched a different show!

I thought JD was joking. He said he and Joseph were going to remain bachelors forever and then stopped, big smile, and said NOT! I came away from it thinking he has something going on or is seriously wife hunting.

I lost all respect for JD when he said they should name Jubilee after Jefferson Davis.

I think judging someone's desires in life off of ONE "not" joke is ridiculous. We don't know anything about JD. I can count the number of times he's spoken on the show on one hand. We also have no idea what kind of husband/father he will be.

I did not say what kind of father/husband he will be but I'm pretty sure this whole site is to offer our snark/opinions. Which I will do. Perhaps your judgement is better placed on the comments that said JD is slow?

Ben's parents seemed uncomfortable, and I don't blame them. They probably feel ambivalent about being part of the circus and aren't used to having personal conversations with a film crew hovering. I didn't see any other diners in the restaurant they went to (and I would have liked to get a closer peek at their meals, which looked delicious). The closet scene in the beginning, where Ben asked Jessa to court, and his parents' questions in the restaurant must have been scripted - if they weren't very serious, or already engaged, then I don't think Ben would have his own TLC contract.

ATI/Fundie girls are raised to be so homogeneous. Same look, same style, same manner, (basically) same hobbies, same goals in life....

What if that doesn't attract you? I can imagine it would be hard to find someone if you're just not into the ATI cookie-cutter girl.

Boys are at least allowed a LITTLE diversity. Not much, but a little.

Zach Bates may be able to provide tips on finding a fundie bride who isn't a clone of your sister.

Don't worry about where Bessa will live. I am sure they can move right into Josh and Anna's old place, or another fabulous Jim Bob rental property. Or maybe he will finally start building little houses on their 20 acres, for a Duggar compound.

Ok less back up. What is a dullurd?? Did I spell it right? Everyone seems to forget the Duggar kids have a "job" and their employer is TLC. I mentioned this on another thread and I still believe those adult Duggar kids have money in the bank somewhere. How else would JD be able to start his business in the first place? I don't agree with how JB runs things but I don't think he would cheat his own kids out of well earned money. Besides it looks like Ben and Jessa could really use it to start off. If TLC money wasn't around, I think JB would not have even considered 18 year old Ben to court any daughter of his. This is just my opinion at the moment. It could change by the end of the season :think:

Michelle side hugs Jessa.

This might be the saddest thing. Jessa is all but engaged at that point and her own mother can't even hug her properly!? I could barely peal my mom off me when I got engaged! I know not all families are physically affectionate (my dad and me, lol), and that is completely fine, but if you ARE going to hug someone, make it a nice hug! Is Michelle worried she'll get aroused if she frontally hugs her own daughter?

Re: JD I found his "not" comment immature and IMO he only wants to get married to have sex. My brother is 36 years old and living a happy bachelor life and has no desire for anything else. He has been able to have sex though so he was able to make a decision about his bachelorhood. He realizes he may not make/has no desire to be the best husband or father. If he had been raised in extreme fundie land there is NO WAY his wife or children would have been happy.

Didn't Josh marry for sex?

Ok less back up. What is a dullurd??

dull·ard

ˈdələrd/Submit

noun

a slow or stupid person.

synonyms: idiot, fool, stupid person, simpleton, ignoramus, oaf, dunce, dolt;

JD may be a red-blooded, sexually-repressed, 100% 'Merican, fundy guy, but I still think he is a dullard. I have never heard him say anything interesting or intelligent. The comments he made last night sounded like they were coming from a middle-schooler. She's still not married because I chase away all the boys who are interested in her. ha! ha! ha! (not a direct quote).

JD is a 24-year-old MAN who lives under the control of his parents and sleeps in the same room with 7 of his brothers. I commend him for clearing the property and getting title to the bank-owned house. That was hard work. But how on earth can he be operating and growing his towing company if he is constantly traveling with his parents and siblings, and asking "how high" when JB says jump. If not for the TLC money, he would have to work his ass off towing cars and/or doing menial labor to afford a house, wife and kids.

JD is just a dorky man-child, likely with below-average to average intelligence. If he works hard he may be an acceptable catch for some poor fundy girl, but he's certainly not a great catch. Awkward Ben may be a better catch: he's better looking, attends community college, and he's allowed to go out to play unchaperoned.

I agree that JD is immature and obedient to his father's wishes. However I think the same could be said about Jana or even Jinger. None of the older kids have moved out on their own before marriage. I do agree that JD doesn't come across as that smart and definitely isn't very eloquent but he still is no more of a man-child then the Duggar girls are a woman-child. I also wonder if he doesn't want to marry because he knows that it will require a lot of extra attention on the show and he's more of a private guy.

Didn't Josh marry for sex?

Judging by the prior hand sex, real sex was indeed the main course ordered from the menu.

dull·ard

ˈdələrd/Submit

noun

a slow or stupid person.

synonyms: idiot, fool, stupid person, simpleton, ignoramus, oaf, dunce, dolt;

Thanks Ting! Never heard of it before. JD is smart in the fundie world...just not in the regular world. I believe he has common sense, just no book sense. That's ok because there are people all over the world who have managed very well with just common sense. I just worry for those who have the book sense but no encouragement to move forward with it. JD did get his pilot's license, but I got a feeling he REALLY would rather fly a 747 instead. What do ya'll think? :wink-kitty:

I think Josh was genuinely smitten with Anna, though, beyond just wanting teh secks. Not that Anna isn't a good looking woman, because she is, but especially back then she was definitely not the most attractive or stylish or TLC-ready girl he would have met.

And I think if the only reason John-David wanted to be married was to have sex he would've been married by now.

Don't worry about where Bessa will live. I am sure they can move right into Josh and Anna's old place, or another fabulous Jim Bob rental property. Or maybe he will finally start building little houses on their 20 acres, for a Duggar compound.
I thought we have been shown a lot good 'ol Ben purchased earlier.

JD may be a red-blooded, sexually-repressed, 100% 'Merican, fundy guy, but I still think he is a dullard. I have never heard him say anything interesting or intelligent. The comments he made last night sounded like they were coming from a middle-schooler.

He's a child in a man's body. I cannot even a little bit see him in a relationship with a woman, marriage or otherwise. Josh seemed immature before he married Anna (um, and still seems that way), John seems like a child.

If TLC money wasn't around, I think JB would not have even considered 18 year old Ben to court any daughter of his. This is just my opinion at the moment. It could change by the end of the season :think:

Never mind the money, JB would not have considered Ben but for the TLC show itself. The only way he can keep the show alive is to start new 19 Kids storylines. They've already gone around the world, Josh and Anna are just a boring DC couple now, this year all but one of the Howlers will be in their teens, Jackson and Hannie's shtick is getting tired as they get older, and while the little girls are cute, none seem to have quite the spark and articulation skills Hannie did at their ages.

It seems very possible, if not likely, that Jim Bob okayed Ben because he can obviously control the kid. If Boob wants his daughter to live near (or on) the compound, she'll live near (or on) the compound. If Ben gets appendicitis and Boob wants the surgery filmed, it will be filmed. So if Jill's beau is not quite as malleable and doesn't want his personal life completely exposed or wants some say in where he and his wife live, Boob still has Ben n' Jessa 4 evah.

Aside from his age and over-the-top fetus fanaticism, one thing that would concern me very much about young Ben is the way in which he met Jessa. My understanding is that he was a fan of the show so he starting driving the 400 mile roundtrip to get to know the pretty girl on the reality TV show. Stalker? Fanboy? Someone who likes the idea of being on national TV? All hypothetical questions, but questions I'd nevertheless be thinking about if I were her parent.

Judging by the prior hand sex, real sex was indeed the main course ordered from the menu.

I think anyone denied sex marries for sex!

Did anyone catch the Josh-and-Anna special that was aired this afternoon?

I had seen a similar one, but this appeared to be re-edited to include advice to the courting sisters.

Didn't catch it all as I was running around getting ready to go kayaking, but I did catch an absolute GEM from Anna:

"Well sometimes he might forget to take out the trash, but instead of getting mad I just think 'well I could not even HAVE a husband, and could have to go to a job everyday'"

I paraphrased it, but that is what she said basically. I was FLOORED by that.

Did anyone catch the Josh-and-Anna special that was aired this afternoon?

I had seen a similar one, but this appeared to be re-edited to include advice to the courting sisters.

Didn't catch it all as I was running around getting ready to go kayaking, but I did catch an absolute GEM from Anna:

"Well sometimes he might forget to take out the trash, but instead of getting mad I just think 'well I could not even HAVE a husband, and could have to go to a job everyday'"

I paraphrased it, but that is what she said basically. I was FLOORED by that.

PLEASE tell me you misheard

Never mind the money, JB would not have considered Ben but for the TLC show itself. The only way he can keep the show alive is to start new 19 Kids storylines. They've already gone around the world, Josh and Anna are just a boring DC couple now, this year all but one of the Howlers will be in their teens, Jackson and Hannie's shtick is getting tired as they get older, and while the little girls are cute, none seem to have quite the spark and articulation skills Hannie did at their ages.

It seems very possible, if not likely, that Jim Bob okayed Ben because he can obviously control the kid. If Boob wants his daughter to live near (or on) the compound, she'll live near (or on) the compound. If Ben gets appendicitis and Boob wants the surgery filmed, it will be filmed. So if Jill's beau is not quite as malleable and doesn't want his personal life completely exposed or wants some say in where he and his wife live, Boob still has Ben n' Jessa 4 evah.

Aside from his age and over-the-top fetus fanaticism, one thing that would concern me very much about young Ben is the way in which he met Jessa. My understanding is that he was a fan of the show so he starting driving the 400 mile roundtrip to get to know the pretty girl on the reality TV show. Stalker? Fanboy? Someone who likes the idea of being on national TV? All hypothetical questions, but questions I'd nevertheless be thinking about if I were her parent.

You're worrying for nothing: JB and JD weed out all the creepers!

You're worrying for nothing: JB and JD weed out all the creepers!

And Jackson says he smells good. All boxes ticked!

What..? So why can't SHE take out the trash then? Oh did she mention the toilet seat being left up? Wait a minute, they already live with a bunch of guys so they should be use to that. What about farting in their sleep...wait we do that to. What about morning breathe to deal with when they want sex...wait who cares because you get to have SEX. You all know sex is better than bad breathe, so who cares.

Seriously, what other advice did she give them? She needs to go DEEPER than that, so things won't be a shock to them.

I think Josh was genuinely smitten with Anna, though, beyond just wanting teh secks. Not that Anna isn't a good looking woman, because she is, but especially back then she was definitely not the most attractive or stylish or TLC-ready girl he would have met.

And I think if the only reason John-David wanted to be married was to have sex he would've been married by now.

I watched a few old, random episodes on Netflix last night while insomnia was kicking my butt and OMGz THE HAIR! I had completely forgotten about Anna's super crunchy, horribly fried from home-perms 'do with that one bit always slicked and pinned down across the front of her head. Wowzers, it was bad.

And I had forgotten what a sanctimonious little ass Josiah used to be. Poor kid. I don't blame him because he was obviously asked by producers for his thoughts and was just parroting what he'd been taught, but it makes it hard to get through an episode.

Archived