IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

True, DuggarsTheEndIsNear. I just wish that Boob and Mullet would actually think before they do stuff. They seem to have a problem with that. Unless it's about sex, or precious J'22.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will Jessa do when in 5 or 10 years she meets a man who really butters her biscuit, so to speak? Stay tuned...

However, on the other hand, I think Boob thinks of all of this as a joke. Kind of like, let's see how much I can torture these young guys before they take off screaming for the hills. I feel that Boob is turning his daughter's courtships into an extended prank, where as the Bates are at least 'trying' to do it the right way.

This! I get such a gross vibe from Boob, like he's an obnoxious 12 year old boy who won't leave his older sister and her boyfriend along until his parents chase him off. He's mugging for the camera and his own amusement when his children's futures are on the line. Don't most parents really want what's best for their children, even if it's at the expense of their own comfort and ego?

I think Jim Bob is a douche. He was going out of his way to think of things to make Ben feel awkward.

I kind of like Jessa's attitude, it was like she was saying shut up mom, Ben knows I don't like to cook and it's no big deal. lol

Jordyn is STILL my favorite. :)

FREE JORDYN

As if Michelle cooks! :lol:

I've always thought that JD isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I am also willing to believe that he really is trying to prevent his sisters from getting married very young and having Eleventy children.

JD remembers a time when there wasn't a tour bus full of siblings. Perhaps he doesn't want that life, and knows some of his sisters don't want that either.

Please don't say "just nursing or education." Both are honorable professions.

Agree, perhaps the most honorable, underpaid, undervalued, and most important in our modern world - educate our children and tend to the sick and suffering - what is more noble?

I've always thought that JD isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I am also willing to believe that he really is trying to prevent his sisters from getting married very young and having Eleventy children.

JD remembers a time when there wasn't a tour bus full of siblings. Perhaps he doesn't want that life, and knows some of his sisters don't want that either.

How sad would it be if JD intends on remaining a bachelor because he really does not want children, but believes that birth control = hell.

How sad would it be if JD intends on remaining a bachelor because he really does not want children, but believes that birth control = hell.

or is really gay?

Anyone could be a serial killer. Even if you meet them in person.

Lots of people meet and fall in love with people they meet on the internet or have long distance relationships through Skype/email. I don't think think there is anything weird or strange about that. If she had had went to Nepal by herself then I would have been worried that she didn't know him well but, JB was with her and I'm sure never gave them anytime alone anyway.

Lots of people meet and fall in love with people they meet on the internet or have long distance relationships through Skype/email. I don't think think there is anything weird or strange about that. If she had had went to Nepal by herself then I would have been worried that she didn't know him well but, JB was with her and I'm sure never gave them anytime alone anyway.

I agree. Plus, they're in the limelight. It's not like they don't know about the potentially crazed people in this world. And, JB did talk to Derick for 1.5-2 years before getting Jill involved. I'm sure JB has a very good idea of what kind of man Derick is.

John-David didn't say that he wants to remain a bachelor. I feel like this has the potential to blow up into some crazy rumour. What he said was something along the lines of, "Oh yeah. Me and Joseph both really want to be bachelors for life and never find a wife." Then they both started laughing, and JD said, "NOT!"

John-David didn't say that he wants to remain a bachelor. I feel like this has the potential to blow up into some crazy rumour. What he said was something along the lines of, "Oh yeah. Me and Joseph both really want to be bachelors for life and never find a wife." Then they both started laughing, and JD said, "NOT!"

I'll have to watch again, because I didn't hear "not." But even in your response, you admit he did say he wants to remain a bachelor.

I'll have to watch again, because I didn't hear "not." But even in your response, you admit he did say he wants to remain a bachelor.

He said it as a joke and he very clearly said NOT at the end. He actually did it very well, completely straight faced until the " not" and laugh at the end.

:lol: Yes! I 'admit' that he said he wanted to be a bachelor, but he ended the sentence with 'NOT'! If I 'admit' on Free Jinger that I think Steve Maxwell is sexy, and then I immediately say 'NOT!', what do you think I actually mean?

Well, yes, that's a possibility. But I'm not saying that there aren't risks involved with online relationships, I'm just saying that people do fall in love online, and I know several people who are now married to someone they met online. No reason to judge.

My husband and I met on-line! Though, I didn't fall in love with him till I actually got to spend time with him and get to know him. That means Jill shouldn't love him till they get married. Sounds normal. :cray-cray:

I thought they were in a pickup truck. So the choice was for Jessa to sit in the middle and be squished against Ben (NO WAY! That could stir up desires that can't righteously be fulfilled and defraud someone!) or for Michelle to be squished against him. They chose the latter, and saved themselves from any unrighteous desires.

On another note, I also really, really cannot see Jessa having kids in the double digits. I just can't even imagine it. I don't know what's going to happen... I know they don't believe in birth control... somehow I feel like she might be able to overcome all the indoctrination if she gets fed up enough and tell Ben that they have to use birth control, or NFP, or something. I hope so, for her sake, unless she really does want eleventy children... but I can't see it.

What I don't get is why that wouldn't cause desires with Michelle that cant be righteously fulfilled. She seems to like Ben, and then she's all pressed up against him.... *shudders*

:lol: Yes! I 'admit' that he said he wanted to be a bachelor, but he ended the sentence with 'NOT'! If I 'admit' on Free Jinger that I think Steve Maxwell is sexy, and then I immediately say 'NOT!', what do you think I actually mean?

I can't link to youtube from work, but if I could, I would insert the Borat "not!" joke lesson here.

Turns out that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Who'da thunk it?

I like Ben much more after watching this episode than I did before (you know, from judging his personality by his pictures, lol). First impressions are telling me that he's a good kid, shy, a little quiet, and that he is in WAY over his head with this one.

I've always liked Jessa, and hearing her described in such terms as she was, it gives me much hope for her future. However, I'm not thinking that her future is going to be with this particular young man.

Perhaps courtship would be an easier pill to swallow if the two people involved didn't meet-court-getengaged-andgetmarried all within a 6 month time frame. I hope that these two take their time and actually get to know one another. I hope that they tell their parents to screw off, and go out on a date together, just the two of them. Ben specifically said that he enjoys his time with Jessa the most when it's just the two of them (plus the chaperone, of course). Well, then be a frigging man, step up, and tell her parents that you need some one-on-one time. Even Kelly Bates made a comment on her blog about the 'courters' being able to tell their parents if they needed more alone time and space. I think that she and Gil "get it" - that in their culture, these young adults are seriously considering marriage and should be allowed to be alone for a few minutes at a time (John and Alyssa were alone in his car after the engagement, he drove her to a restaurant or something. Notice how Kelly was not squished in between the couple). However, on the other hand, I think Boob thinks of all of this as a joke. Kind of like, let's see how much I can torture these young guys before they take off screaming for the hills. I feel that Boob is turning his daughter's courtships into an extended prank, where as the Bates are at least 'trying' to do it the right way.

I think TLC did a MAGICAL editing job on Ben. Lets not forget his "I survived Roe v. Wade" t shirts, his obnoxious, preachy FB posts... all the things that HE did HIMSELF that led us to believe he was a douche. TLC makes the Duggars palatable, they're doing the same thing for Ben. I hold onto my opinion that he's a self righteous ass.

Michelle in the pickup: They have been on packed subways and "hugged" fans. You can touch someone without jumping their bones! Is the desire the sin or is acting on it? I'm confused... If Ben thinks about Jessa and gets a little blood flowing does he need to hobble off to the prayer closet until things "settle?"

The previews showed Boobles and Michelle getting a phone call waiting for "results." there was also a preview shot of someone getting bloodwork done. Either someone is prego, in menopause, or has an illness. Thats the surprise phone call. I will not rule out a call from Davilla that they're prego, though.

JD "vetting" suitors. :naughty: Your job is NOT to make sure your sister is a perpetual slave to you and your household. Your job is to love and protect your sister. His statement implies other men have been brought around and they scared them off. Not cool.

The star of david on the luggage... :wtf: You want to wear it on your neck.... I'll tolerate... but sewing that on your luggage that you toss around in a pickup truck is not cool in my book. Its not just something we put on flags, it has religious significance - depending on interpretation either the connection of God, Torah, and Israel to the human soul, or the seven spiritual building blocks. Its not a decoration.

I agree that they said kiss and not kids. I tried to replay it but there was no closed caption. Regardless, how would they know they dont like to kiss?

As for Jill being in love with someone she's never met... thats age and immaturity. In an online relationship you get to TALK to the person about whatever you want. YOu can actually get to know someone. In her case, she was monitored and god forbid she discussed actually feelings and thoughts. Bible study is not getting to know someone and someone's theology tells you little about whether they can be a potential husband.

I cant wait to hear smuggles "interview" Ben about Jessa. Even better, I cant wait for Anna to tell Jessa and Jill all about the birds and the bees... :popcorn2:

What I'd love to know is when these people decided to go from the ideal of guarding your heart and not getting too emotionally attached during courtship, to overblown expressions of romance and love straight from the get go. It's like they went from one extreme to the other.

I was out of town yesterday, so I'm just now joining the conversation after watching the ep today. I have many thoughts, and I apologize if I rehash something that's been said many times upthread:

- I revise my opinion of Ben. He comes across as very shy and not that used to stressful situations, hence his lack of well-spokenness. Sounds like Boob picked him because he's easy to intimidate. Another comment about this below.

- John David is thinking exactly what all of us are: "Do you think you'll be able to support Jessa just repairing windshields?"

- Holy cow, Jessa blushed through the ENTIRE episode.

- Jim Bob is a complete ass for saying he's glad that Ben is intimidated by him.

- Ben's dad is also an ass for asking Jessa so soon into the relationship if she thinks it is going to go somewhere. Give the girl some time, she barely knows Ben!

- I really liked that we finally got a glimpse into what Jessa's personality is. Michelle spoke of her as an individual in a way she never has before. It's sad it took a courtship for it to happen.

- Whoah is Jinger jealous and upset. I also think Ben is the kind of guy she likes and has a bit of a crush on him.

- What the hell is with Ben's sisters wearing frumpers? Thought they wore pants? Guess TLC made them for the show.

- The eyebrows on Ben's dark-haired sister (forgot her name)!

- Boob insisting Josie's curly hair be made straight- that's a first!

- Jenny and Josie not wanting to get married- you go girls!!!!! :lol:

- Why does Mullet insist that Jessa say more than thank-you to the compliments Ben pays her? Thank-you is a perfectly acceptable reply. It's not like the couple can eat each other's faces off like Boob and Mullet, yet.

- LMAO at Johannah giving her brother the stink eye for saying she should marry a guy like Jim Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :cracking-up:

- Sad that the couple likes the cameras being around just so they can get some "alone" time.

- Boob making a comment about Tontitown being a great place to repair windshields- UGH.

What I don't get is why that wouldn't cause desires with Michelle that cant be righteously fulfilled. She seems to like Ben, and then she's all pressed up against him.... *shudders*

Michelle could go all fundie cougar on Ben. :rawr:

I could really feel Jinger's sadness in this episode. She looked so defeated. That scene with all the older girls might be of the realest things I've seen on this show. Jinger will now have even more J'slave work. Even if she went to Clown College, she'd still be a J'slave. I don't think she sees a way out right now.

Michelle could go all fundie cougar on Ben. :rawr:

Who knows. Maybe all their PDAs are because JB isn't doing the do with Michelle anymore. She could have talked JB into letting the girls court so she could have alone time with some guys.

And with that I'm going to go burn my brain. Bleach isn't gonna help this time.

I think TLC did a MAGICAL editing job on Ben. Lets not forget his "I survived Roe v. Wade" t shirts, his obnoxious, preachy FB posts... all the things that HE did HIMSELF that led us to believe he was a douche. TLC makes the Duggars palatable, they're doing the same thing for Ben. I hold onto my opinion that he's a self righteous ass.

Michelle in the pickup: They have been on packed subways and "hugged" fans. You can touch someone without jumping their bones! Is the desire the sin or is acting on it? I'm confused... If Ben thinks about Jessa and gets a little blood flowing does he need to hobble off to the prayer closet until things "settle?"

The previews showed Boobles and Michelle getting a phone call waiting for "results." there was also a preview shot of someone getting bloodwork done. Either someone is prego, in menopause, or has an illness. Thats the surprise phone call. I will not rule out a call from Davilla that they're prego, though.

JD "vetting" suitors. :naughty: Your job is NOT to make sure your sister is a perpetual slave to you and your household. Your job is to love and protect your sister. His statement implies other men have been brought around and they scared them off. Not cool.

The star of david on the luggage... :wtf: You want to wear it on your neck.... I'll tolerate... but sewing that on your luggage that you toss around in a pickup truck is not cool in my book. Its not just something we put on flags, it has religious significance - depending on interpretation either the connection of God, Torah, and Israel to the human soul, or the seven spiritual building blocks. Its not a decoration.

I agree that they said kiss and not kids. I tried to replay it but there was no closed caption. Regardless, how would they know they dont like to kiss?

As for Jill being in love with someone she's never met... thats age and immaturity. In an online relationship you get to TALK to the person about whatever you want. YOu can actually get to know someone. In her case, she was monitored and god forbid she discussed actually feelings and thoughts. Bible study is not getting to know someone and someone's theology tells you little about whether they can be a potential husband.

I cant wait to hear smuggles "interview" Ben about Jessa. Even better, I cant wait for Anna to tell Jessa and Jill all about the birds and the bees... :popcorn2:

I noticed the Star of David too, but it looked like the Israeli flag to me. I remember (I didn't DVR the episode so this is just from seeing it once) there being some other stickers on the luggage, like maybe she buys one for each country they visit and that is the luggage sticker she bought during their trip to Israel of the country's flag? I can still see someone finding its placement inappropriate, but if the stickers are being sold in the Tel Aviv airport as luggage labels, I don't think Jessa/Duggars can be blamed all that much for using it for that purpose.

I could really feel Jinger's sadness in this episode. She looked so defeated. That scene with all the older girls might be of the realest things I've seen on this show. Jinger will now have even more J'slave work. Even if she went to Clown College, she'd still be a J'slave. I don't think she sees a way out right now.

I don't know if it's "no way out" (the courting prospects are a lot better than I expected based on Derick and Ben) so much as she's losing her best friend. And I imagine in a house like that you need someone to share your misery with. Jana and Jinger aren't super close, from what I've gathered over the years. And Joy definitely isn't that close with her.

She and Jessa have been together since birth. And now Jessa is going on and having a life without her. To add insult to injury, Jinger doesn't really have any friends in the area, nor has she lived a life where she's had to say goodbye to close friends. When your life revolves around your family and taking care of your siblings, you don't have much of a chance to experience these types of changes in a less crushing situation.

Archived