IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

Dude. The JSlaves said in their book that their parents spent much more time with them individually than most parents do with one or two kids

LIES!!!!

This comes from the combination of a few facts with faulty logic

Fact # 1: The Duggars "homeschool" their children

Fact # 2: Most American parents send their kids to school

Fact # 3: Most American parents have 3 or less kids

FAct # 4: Moms who homeschool their children are with their kids all day everyday

Ergo, Michelle spends more time with them, because all that one on one schooling time adds up. :roll:

This is the myth they have been taught, because they don't know how non-fundies families actually live. I think they are under the impression that heathens ignore their kids, never eat dinner with them, never talk to their kids, and the family exists around the TV/ebil technology.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to me. I totally understand. Interdisciplinary learning is the best way to teach and enforce a subject because it makes the knowledge have context and often uses more than one area of the brain. That's why unit studies are so popular among homeschoolers and why thematic units used to be big in traditional schools (before NCLB and CC became standards for teaching and stole the ability to use a lot of those units).

This is the way I homeschooled my kids through jr. high, it also allows you to let a child to really explore their interests and develop their strengths. It can also be a less threatening way for a student to be taught something that they don't like as much or struggle with. My daughter is working on her masters in art education, and has a class in integrated arts. She is learning how to use art to teach other subjects. She is getting to do some really amazing projects. Her first project was a claymation video. A few of the Duggar boys enjoy videos, it would be great to use that interest in some of their school work, but I doubt that happens.

FAct # 4: Moms who homeschool their children are with their kids all day everyday

Ergo, Michelle spends more time with them, because all that one on one schooling time adds up. :roll:

This is the myth they have been taught, because they don't know how non-fundies families actually live. I think they are under the impression that heathens ignore their kids, never eat dinner with them, never talk to their kids, and the family exists around the TV/ebil technology.

Yup, so true. Seems like they even get judgy of those with hobbies. "JB's hobby is his family." Anything that isn't strictly fundie or gothardish is considered worldly and probably pagan.

I bet the only way Michelle and Jimbob's kids haven't realised they are neglected is that they tell them that it is normal to stop interacting with your kid when they are a baby, schedule time with them, and have them raise eachother, and they should be thankful for that because every other parent in the world sends their kids to school all day, then when they get home they sit them in front of the TV and ignore them, and never spends any time with them at all, not even the tiny amounts their parents do.

If the kids were able to stay over at the house of a normal family (obviously not all of them at once, two at the most at a time), they would have 19 annoyed kids to answer to, who have suddenly realised that their parents are neglectful.

I bet the only way Michelle and Jimbob's kids haven't realised they are neglected is that they tell them that it is normal to stop interacting with your kid when they are a baby, schedule time with them, and have them raise eachother, and they should be thankful for that because every other parent in the world sends their kids to school all day, then when they get home they sit them in front of the TV and ignore them, and never spends any time with them at all, not even the tiny amounts their parents do.

If the kids were able to stay over at the house of a normal family (obviously not all of them at once, two at the most at a time), they would have 19 annoyed kids to answer to, who have suddenly realised that their parents are neglectful.

Yup, which is why it would never happen! :angry-banghead:

Don't forget the time Jill said that non-fundie families kick their kids out of the house when they turn 18.

Don't forget the time Jill said that non-fundie families kick their kids out of the house when they turn 18.

This! Compared to the flip side of not allowing your 18 year old adult children leave the house without an accountability partner!

I heard this on the radio and couldn't help but think of Jill.

If I ever get out of hereee...

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

How come ?

We had a child doing Geometry proofs at age 13. She loves math and was able to learn as quickly as she chose.

Who ever said geometry kicked their butt, I feel for you. I have a child doing geometry proofs right now and math does not come as easily to this child. It really works the brain!

Our state has made algebra and geometry required subjects before graduation. Our state has no requirements except that the child is kept up to the standards and requirements of the grade they belong in. Being involved in the homeschooling community for a long time, I see many families are very lax. Homeschooling can and does work when done properly but it has to be a full time job for a parent to do it properly. The Duggars cannot be spending enough time to do it justice with all the traveling, let alone the chaotic environment their house appears to have.

Is homeschooling still Michelle's jurisdiction? I thought Jessa had taken over at some point and they're using computers for a lot of it anyway. I guess the Wisdom Booklets probably require a "teacher" though.

Is homeschooling still Michelle's jurisdiction? I thought Jessa had taken over at some point and they're using computers for a lot of it anyway. I guess the Wisdom Booklets probably require a "teacher" though.

I'm pretty sure it's Jessa or Jinger running the show... Or running Switched on Schoolhouse.

I am impressed that any of the children would want to play chess. Its not an easy thing to pick up and it must be hard to focus with the chaos in the house.

I know very few people who were "kicked out" at 18. In fact, most of my friends still live at home and we're in our mid to late twenties.

I'm pretty sure it's Jessa or Jinger running the show... Or running Switched on Schoolhouse.

The first episode this season said that Jessa took over homeschooling when Josie was in the NICU

I am impressed that any of the children would want to play chess. Its not an easy thing to pick up and it must be hard to focus with the chaos in the house.

Grandpa Duggar taught Jeremiah to play chess. He did not learn that from his parents. I'm glad Jer was able to spend that special time with his grandfather.

Michelle doesnt actually homeschool, hence the quotes. But homeschooling families often toot that they spend more time with their kids, this is logistically true but there's a saying about quantity and quality.

'I'm not knocking homeschooling families, just how the duggars have chosen to homeschool)

Michelle doesnt actually homeschool, hence the quotes. But homeschooling families often toot that they spend more time with their kids, this is logistically true but there's a saying about quantity and quality.

'I'm not knocking homeschooling families, just how the duggars have chosen to homeschool)

I have a degree in education. Nothing about Michelle's homeschooling impresses me. Granted, we don't see much of it on the show. But when we do see the kids at "school" they are not actively engaged in learning. The older ones are plugged into computers, which is OK for a little while or for certain lessons. But they shouldn't be receiving the majority of their education this way. Meanwhile, the younger kids are around the dining room table not-doing workbooks while Michelle is constantly distracted. The few glimpses we get of the actual lessons make me suspect that some of the kids (especially James and Jackson) are working below their age/grade level. Then there was that scene in the first Duggar special where the kids were all around the dining room table doing a workbook lesson on bankruptcy, of all things.

I suppose the paid-by-TLC trips could be considered educational. But the kids don't seem to learn anything about the places they're going beforehand, other than Jim Bob saying, "We're gonna do something really exciting! We're going to a petting farm!" Or the Creation Museum. Or Silver Dollar City. Or Japan. If there are any follow-up lessons after these trips, I have yet to see them.

Homeschooling can and does work when done properly but it has to be a full time job for a parent to do it properly. The Duggars cannot be spending enough time to do it justice with all the traveling, let alone the chaotic environment their house appears to have.

Totally agree. There's no way Michelle can be properly educating that many kids. I'm pretty new at homeschooling, so I think some of our time spent will be lessened once we're adjusted to the schedule, but it takes time and focus. Not just from the student, either.

My son requires more focused attention. That's the main reason I am homeschooling him, and in a short time he has thrived with individual help. I hope none of the Duggar kids have needs beyond "normal," because there's just no way they can get it regularly with so many other kids in their "classroom."

But the kids don't seem to learn anything about the places they're going beforehand, other than Jim Bob saying, "We're gonna do something really exciting! We're going to a petting farm!" Or the Creation Museum. Or Silver Dollar City. Or Japan. If there are any follow-up lessons after these trips, I have yet to see them.

That just kills me. They've had so many amazing opportunities, and it seems like they're far more concerned about spreading their message about how awesome quiverfull families are and how great they are for having 19 kids and being late all the time. Wouldn't you just love to have paid-for trips all over the country or world to learn about other people and cultures and landmarks? I would homeschool the hell out of that!

My 8-year-old can tell you all about aquifers, prohibition, and some types of limestone formations from the cretaceous period and that was just based on places we saw on a 4-day spring break trip in our state and one other.

Totally agree. There's no way Michelle can be properly educating that many kids. I'm pretty new at homeschooling, so I think some of our time spent will be lessened once we're adjusted to the schedule, but it takes time and focus. Not just from the student, either.

My son requires more focused attention. That's the main reason I am homeschooling him, and in a short time he has thrived with individual help. I hope none of the Duggar kids have needs beyond "normal," because there's just no way they can get it regularly with so many other kids in their "classroom."

Well Michelle claims several of the howlers have dyslexia ...

Kids with Dyslexia need a lot of extra time and attention. Of course, when Michelle says something like that you are left wondering whether that is just her explanation for why they can't read/write. I doubt she even knows about or understands the different types of dyslexia.

Sure, dyslexia.. Even if some of them had dyslexia, Michelle wouldn't be the one to notice it.

I remember one staged lesson she gave Hannie, in a classroom in some closet I think, and you could just tell they chose a child that could at least read, write and sit still for a few minutes. Given that Hannie is a child who seems to pick up on things very quickly, I'm not sure I want to know the level of "education" Jackson or James are at.

I have a degree in education. Nothing about Michelle's homeschooling impresses me. Granted, we don't see much of it on the show. But when we do see the kids at "school" they are not actively engaged in learning. The older ones are plugged into computers, which is OK for a little while or for certain lessons. But they shouldn't be receiving the majority of their education this way. Meanwhile, the younger kids are around the dining room table not-doing workbooks while Michelle is constantly distracted. The few glimpses we get of the actual lessons make me suspect that some of the kids (especially James and Jackson) are working below their age/grade level. Then there was that scene in the first Duggar special where the kids were all around the dining room table doing a workbook lesson on bankruptcy, of all things.

I suppose the paid-by-TLC trips could be considered educational. But the kids don't seem to learn anything about the places they're going beforehand, other than Jim Bob saying, "We're gonna do something really exciting! We're going to a petting farm!" Or the Creation Museum. Or Silver Dollar City. Or Japan. If there are any follow-up lessons after these trips, I have yet to see them.[/b/

JB and Michelle actually prevent the kids from learning anything when they go on trips, like when they went to the Huntsville Space Center and he told them to ignore all of the exhibits that said that the Earth was billions of years old or by being disrespectful of non-Gothardites who are going out of their way to accomodate them. They do their best to keep their children in a state of perpetual ignorance.

JB and Michelle actually prevent the kids from learning anything when they go on trips, like when they went to the Huntsville Space Center and he told them to ignore all of the exhibits that said that the Earth was billions of years old or by being disrespectful of non-Gothardites who are going out of their way to accomodate them. They do their best to keep their children in a state of perpetual ignorance.

^^^^^ And this is what gets me with them. As pointed out upthread, the kids have had learning opportunities that some of us would have just died for (at least I know I would). My parents couldn't travel internationally due to $$$ but we did travel the country and those trips become opportunities for additional learning even it was the more "fun" type of learning compared to sitting in a classroom. But the J'parents actually discourage learning when it doesn't suit their beliefs. In addition, rather than encouraging the kids to develop an open mind about other people/cultures in the world, the opportunities are to show how the heathen "others" live. It's like "look at us interacting with the heathens!"

It's really sad that all of the kids are being subjected to the same education when they each obviously have different levels of intelligence. J'chelle called Jer her "little problem solver." I get the feeling he should be in some sort of accelerated program like he would be if he went to a public school. I don't have any problem with homeschooling, but if you realize one of your kids has special talents then they should be given something more challenging to work with.

The every kid in one box approach was taken in my public schools as well. They finally gave me an "individualized program" in 6th grade which consisted of handing me a binder with all the work for a month so I could "work at my own pace". I ended up doing everything except the math in the first week, and was both bored and stuck doing stuff I didn't understand and wasn't getting proper help in for the other three weeks. No wonder I ended up misbehaving!

Archived