IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

LOL! Did anyone else see Chelsea Handler's monologue just now on the "Duggars and their 19 sexually repressed children"? She did a bit on the dangers of hugging (both side and front!) and showed how it was important to always use protection while hugging.

:lol:

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little off-topic, but I had a friend who had an ectopic pregnancy. She began bleeding heavily after she had an argument with her then-fiance. Apparently, he was still so pissed at her that he refused to drive her to the hospital, in spite of the fact that she was bleeding all over their apartment. She had to call her mother to drive her to the emergency room. The fiance stayed home.

She recovered, and they later married and had two children. Why she ever decided to marry him after he put her through that, I'll never know.

That jackass should be in jail. She could've died.

Ben on the other hand...seems like a lovesick puppy who will follow Jessa and do what she says and be controlled by her demands out of pure fear of losing her to someone better. He reminds me of Jim Bob in that respect!

I agree completely.

I was raised to say ma'am and sir, so it's definitely a southern thing. It's just good manners, and in no way means old lady or old man. Anyway, saying that to your kids here in Alabama wouldn't strike anybody as strange. It predates the Pearls, and nobody would make that connection.

Midwesterner, and I agree. It wouldn't sound strange or bring any sort of Pearl connotation here, either. I say "no ma'am" or "no sir" to my kids to let them know I'm not impressed with whatever they're doing.

A two-fer:[attachment=1]golf.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]golf2.jpg[/attachment]

:brain-bleach: :brain-bleach: :brain-bleach: :brain-bleach: :brain-bleach:

I just watched the part of this weeks episode where Michelle attempts to play chess with Jeremiah, and well....

First of all, she pretty much admits that she's been too busy to be involved with her kids after they are babies.

Second, no matter what, these kids aren't learning anything at the SOTDRT! Yes, chess is complicated, but so is science and math. She just doesn't seem to have too much going on up there. And she definitely is not giving her kids the idea that learning new things is a good and rewarding thing to do. (Which for me was a major goal of mine as a homeschooler-instilling in my kids a love of lifelong learning).

I just watched the part of this weeks episode where Michelle attempts to play chess with Jeremiah, and well....

First of all, she pretty much admits that she's been too busy to be involved with her kids after they are babies.

Second, no matter what, these kids aren't learning anything at the SOTDRT! Yes, chess is complicated, but so is science and math. She just doesn't seem to have too much going on up there. And she definitely is not giving her kids the idea that learning new things is a good and rewarding thing to do. (Which for me was a major goal of mine as a homeschooler-instilling in my kids a love of lifelong learning).

I agree that that should be the goal of any education system (and why I plan on homeschooling myself), but Michelle and JB aren't the type to actually value education (when was the last time they went on a trip that was for school, not for a talk show or visiting with people? They don't even throw an educational experience in when they travel.) or learning (every time they are faced with something new and different, JB and Michelle end up mocking it the entire time).

I fully believe working at State Farm has something to do with his degree plan. Or maybe this is giving him the money he needs to be with Jessa. Maybe he is getting experience in realty to do up rent houses or flip them. There's a decent market here for that.

State Farm is an insurance company. They sell mainly property and casualty coverage (auto and homeowner's policies). Working for a State Farm agent has absolutely nothing to do with the real estate industry.

I agree that that should be the goal of any education system (and why I plan on homeschooling myself), but Michelle and JB aren't the type to actually value education (when was the last time they went on a trip that was for school, not for a talk show or visiting with people? They don't even throw an educational experience in when they travel.) or learning (every time they are faced with something new and different, JB and Michelle end up mocking it the entire time).

This is probably the thing that bothers me the most about the fundies and the Duggars, how much they rob their children but not valuing education. They are keeping their children from being what they could be. It really shows that it's not just that they don't value education, but that they don't value their children as individuals.

State Farm is an insurance company. They sell mainly property and casualty coverage (auto and homeowner's policies). Working for a State Farm agent has absolutely nothing to do with the real estate industry.

Oops. I got it mixed up. Crye-Leike is right next to State Farm so I think I mixed them up.

This is probably the thing that bothers me the most about the fundies and the Duggars, how much they rob their children but not valuing education. They are keeping their children from being what they could be. It really shows that it's not just that they don't value education, but that they don't value their children as individuals.

Unfortunately, that's not just a fundie problem. That's seen throughout the educational system. Schools for produce life learners, and most people don't think that that's a necessity for life. For most people, education is just something you need to get what you want, or to comply with laws. Look how many adults will argue that there was no reason for them to learn math, history, science, etc cause "it has nothing to do with their lives now."

I'm sure that's the same way Michelle and JB see education. "Why do my kids need to know ___ when they're not going to use that skilll."

Of course, with their homeschooling method, it means that the Duggars don't have to teach those subjects (or go beyond some predetermined minimum) if they don't think it's important. So the kids miss out on something that they could really love, or would actually need later in life.

Unfortunately, that's not just a fundie problem. That's seen throughout the educational system. Schools for produce life learners, and most people don't think that that's a necessity for life. For most people, education is just something you need to get what you want, or to comply with laws. Look how many adults will argue that there was no reason for them to learn math, history, science, etc cause "it has nothing to do with their lives now."

I'm sure that's the same way Michelle and JB see education. "Why do my kids need to know ___ when they're not going to use that skilll."

Of course, with their homeschooling method, it means that the Duggars don't have to teach those subjects (or go beyond some predetermined minimum) if they don't think it's important. So the kids miss out on something that they could really love, or would actually need later in life.

I couldn't agree with you more, and this is one of the greatest benefits of homeschooling. The Duggars give it a bad name I believe. Now that I am done homeschooling, I tutor upper level math, and I don't know how many adults I have coming to me that math is keeping them back from pursuing more education, and they just don't always understand why they need it. I spend quite a bit of time showing my students the why's and the application, this is usually when the light bulb goes one and understanding follows.

[attachment=1]buddy.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]pizza.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]jessa.jpg[/attachment]

Dang! Jill raised three kids already. Smh

Certain things are still useful to learn. You do use some of the stuff you learn in school in real life. Fundies do give homeschoolers a bad name. Their curriculum is based around their beliefs and cut out a lot of important subjects. You can't homeschool based only around the bible. I do know many religious homeschoolers but they still teach their children subjects that they would need to know or has interest in I don't know why Jim Bob and Michelle won't give their kids a real education. Why deprive them? They both got real educations. This is what I don't get about fundies. What benefit is it to make your kids dumb and behind their peers

A friend of mine has lamented lately that he wished he had played more attention to Math. Hr never realized before how much you needed it. I am taking math next semester, so I told him I would go over it with him if he wanted so he could learn as I was learning, and teaching him would reinforce what I learned.

Certain things are still useful to learn. You do use some of the stuff you learn in school in real life. Fundies do give homeschoolers a bad name. Their curriculum is based around their beliefs and cut out a lot of important subjects. You can't homeschool based only around the bible. I do know many religious homeschoolers but they still teach their children subjects that they would need to know or has interest in I don't know why Jim Bob and Michelle won't give their kids a real education. Why deprive them? They both got real educations. This is what I don't get about fundies. What benefit is it to make your kids dumb and behind their peers

As a kid, I thought learning was just something you had to do because well, you have to go to school and them's the rules, just get through it. However, my attitude changed as I moved through high school and college. and there's really no such thing as learning something that's useless. You never know when you may need to call upon something that you learned earlier. Also, learning is lifelong and I wonder in addition to not learning important subjects, the Duggar kids are also thinking that their education is enough and there's no need to learn anymore. A factor that could be a real obstacle to furthering any education or rectifying their educational deficits.

I don't think I would have lasted 10 minutes in the SOTDRT. Math was my only passion through school and if I had been homeschooled at a SOTDRT instead of being able to pursue my academic interests, I doubt I would have amounted to anything. And I agree with several of you that the Duggars (and fundies) give a TERRIBLE name to homeschooling.

I did feel sorry for Jana. It's Jessa I feel for now. I think the other three girls will get married before her. Ben needs job. We all know that Jimbob loves money and NO man is going to married his daughters without any. :penguin-no:

I think it is significant that math is highly connected to logic and rhetoric. Those that grok math, find it easier, I suspect, to grok rhetoric/logic, and thus to apply critical thinking, thus being unlikely to end up with fundie beliefs in the first place. Those that insist on fundie beliefs might shun all math beyond, say, geometry, since once you get into algebra, trigonometry, etc, the logic aspects become much more of a factor.

Personal note: I took plenty of math in school, all the way up to calculus, which was fortunate, because the job I ended up getting, which followed from my university degree, required calculus to be eligible for the job, even though the actual execution of the job did not (and I wouldn't have remembered my calculus in any case, although I could have given myself a refresher course fairly easily if it had been needed). In fact I remember one time on the job when I had need to figure out the volume of a cylinder. I remember joking "woo hoo, finally, geometry class becomes relevant to adult life!"

But I find all sorts of situations in daily life that seem fundamentally (pardon the pun, lol) connected to a basic understanding of mathematics. Building a house, a bookshelf, anything? Mathematics, geometry, physics. Gardening/composting? Math, chemistry, algebra. Off-grid or home power? (one of my interests) Math. Physics. Chemistry (of the batteries). Cooking? Math, physics, chemistry.

And as I said, logic and rhetoric work on essentially mathematical concepts. Learning how to assess validity and soundness is a key aspect of deciding what one believes. Understanding statistics is a big one -- something happening once is proof that it's possible, but not any indication of its frequency or overall significance. What does it take for something to be statistically significant? Understanding that is key to putting things in context and knowing what is real. Oh, haven't even mentioned music, which (written music, at least) is highly mathematical. Photography is highly mathematical. Sports and exercise can be highly mathematical. Understanding the weather, ffs! All about statistics and probability, not to mention physics and thermodynamics. Once you start looking around, math seems like an essential component of almost every aspect of life, if you want to understand things in any depth.

edited for clarity

Personal note: I took plenty of math in school, all the way up to calculus, which was fortunate, because the job I ended up getting, which followed from my university degree, required calculus, even though the actual execution of the job did not (and I wouldn't have remembered my calculus in any case, although I could have given myself a refresher course fairly easily if it had been needed). In fact I remember one time on the job when I had need to figure out the volume of a cylinder. I remember joking "woo hoo, finally, geometry class becomes relevant to adult life!"

I needed to draft a pattern from a scratch and all of a sudden my high geometry class became a lot more relevant!

I think it is significant that math is highly connected to logic and rhetoric. Those that grok math, find it easier, I suspect, to grok rhetoric/logic, and thus to apply critical thinking, thus being unlikely to end up with fundie beliefs in the first place. Those that insist on fundie beliefs might shun all math beyond, say, geometry, since once you get into algebra, trigonometry, etc, the logic aspects become much more of a factor.

Personal note: I took plenty of math in school, all the way up to calculus, which was fortunate, because the job I ended up getting, which followed from my university degree, required calculus to be eligible for the job, even though the actual execution of the job did not (and I wouldn't have remembered my calculus in any case, although I could have given myself a refresher course fairly easily if it had been needed). In fact I remember one time on the job when I had need to figure out the volume of a cylinder. I remember joking "woo hoo, finally, geometry class becomes relevant to adult life!"

But I find all sorts of situations in daily life that seem fundamentally (pardon the pun, lol) connected to a basic understanding of mathematics. Building a house, a bookshelf, anything? Mathematics, geometry, physics. Gardening/composting? Math, chemistry, algebra. Off-grid or home power? (one of my interests) Math. Physics. Chemistry (of the batteries). Cooking? Math, physics, chemistry.

And as I said, logic and rhetoric work on essentially mathematical concepts. Learning how to assess validity and soundness is a key aspect of deciding what one believes. Understanding statistics is a big one -- something happening once is proof that it's possible, but not any indication of its frequency or overall significance. What does it take for something to be statistically significant? Understanding that is key to putting things in context and knowing what is real. Oh, haven't even mentioned music, which (written music, at least) is highly mathematical. Photography is highly mathematical. Sports and exercise can be highly mathematical. Understanding the weather, ffs! All about statistics and probability, not to mention physics and thermodynamics. Once you start looking around, math seems like an essential component of almost every aspect of life, if you want to understand things in any depth.

edited for clarity

I couldn't agree more. One reason higher math is required in fields that don't seem to use it is because of the thinking processes involved. Geometry is one area that homeschoolers seem to neglect often, many curriculums do not teach proofs, which is learning to make a logical argument .

Archived