IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

Could Michelle have been any more like the stereotypical cheerleader bimbo she still is during that phony chess sequence? She might as well have capped it off with, "Math is hard! Girls should just stick with makeup and clothes, tee hee!"

Ftde81QNXDY

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that, unfortunately. But I'm hopeful that maybe they're only saying that to JB so they can court the girls. Then after the wedding perhaps it'll be time for some secret birth control.

I have no doubt that the "having as many children as God will give them" is on JB's suitor checklist. And the only right answer for him is "yes" or it's no go. However, I am of the opinion that any suitor that gets approved by JB is either a) really believes in no birth control or b) is very good at saying all the right things but once the wedding is over, will quietly practice birth control. I am hopeful that option b is the case and the girls realize that as adults they do not need to have their parents all over their business when it comes to family planning.

Somebody mentioned something about Jessa getting a birth control shot after marriage. I honestly don't see that happening unless she does it on the sly. I don't believe in being dishonest about it to one's spouse, but with all his "save the babeez" foolishness on his Facebook page, I think he's gonna want to start having them right away, and would be completely appalled by the idea of birth control in any form.

Even if Jessa or Jill used NFP to prevent, when they aren't churning out babies every 18 months, questions will be asked. Even if that's wildly inappropriate. J'Chelle and JB *will* ask.

How will Ben support Jessa? By having their life filmed while living in Josh/Anna's "Rent" house...... He owns or works for an auto glass company. Last time I had to have a car window replaced it was $150 for a passenger door on a Chevy Avio. I don't know how much profit that generates, but a high school friend's family had a glass company and they lived quite well. Not sure about auto glass.

Not having a college education does not mean you cannot be successful--especially in small business. It does usually mean you earn decent money but won't have benefits. That's why so many small business owners have a spouse who works a traditional job.

I think Ben is your basic 19 year old guy--horny, wants to have some fun, but IS trying to put together a future. His theology may be a bit weird. He really hasn't seemed much different from the 18 and 19 year olds I see all the time with my own kids-other than his beliefs. Is he ready for marriage? Maybe. Some couples do make it. He's not from a culture that says you must go to Yale and be in crew and make a secret society. He's from a world that says work hard at your own business, marry a sweet submissive girl, have babies and let that be your life. Its not that unusual. It's the belief that is unusual. Of course I don't live in NYC or LA. I have a number of friends who have lived a small business life with little or no college and been very happy. Some even married very young and are still married. However, I'm pretty darned sure all like birth control!!! That's the difference. I think with all of this sometimes we need to remember that we only see what the editors show us. Ben may be living the Maxwell's Debt Free House way, too.

Or he could be a pompous little gas bag taking the only route available to sex!!!

With this many kids there's bound to be a few courtships that fall through. I think Benessa will be the first one to be broken. She's not that into him and he's intimidated by the whole damn family. I hope that they are able to end it before they are married. They both seem extremely ambivalent about the whole thing. Seems like as young as they are marriage shouldn't happen unless they are both crazy in love, otherwise they are in for a long and frustrating life.

Ben also just may be super nervous of the cameras. The Duggars are so used to them. It would be intimidating for most people to be filmed like that at first.

But then Michelle and Bob are going to start to question why Jill isn't getting pregnant. I hope when Jill is married she tells her parents to shove it.

Who cares if they question? Derick is her headship now.

I wonder what will happen if Jill breaks off her engagement or Jessa courtship falls through. Isn't it giving away pieces of your heart.

I really hope that Jill and Derrick make their own way and show the other Duggar children that there are alternatives to their parents lifestyle.

And what's the rush with these people? Five months isn't enough time to get to really know someone.

My very agnostic friend met a guy, they were engaged a week later and married after 3 months of knowing each other. They're perfectly happy in their marriage now. It all depends on what you focus on when getting to know each other.

Plus, they've known each other longer than 5 months. They've been COURTING for 5 months, but they talked before that.

does anyone have streaming links for episode two and three? european resident here..

Streaming? I was checking YT quite regularly myself and it doesn't seem like it will come up until perhaps tomorrow. The person who I usually watch episodes from on there uploads a few days after they've aired (last one was 6 days ago)

Just as a point of clarification, Ben Who Survived Roe v Wade Although It Won't Survive Him recently claimed on FB to be working for a (African American and female) State Farm agent in Hot Springs. Perhaps he took Joseph's sage words to heart.

Just as a point of clarification, Ben Who Survived Roe v Wade Although It Won't Survive Him recently claimed on FB to be working for a (African American and female) State Farm agent in Hot Springs. Perhaps he took Joseph's sage words to heart.

Not entirely sure why you pointed out roe v wade and the fact that she's a black woman in that statement. Roe v wade had nothing to do with black people or women in the work force.

But then Michelle and Bob are going to start to question why Jill isn't getting pregnant. I hope when Jill is married she tells her parents to shove it.

Would love to be a fly on that wall if that happens.

Not entirely sure why you pointed out roe v wade and the fact that she's a black woman in that statement. Roe v wade had nothing to do with black people or women in the work force.

I'll be entirely happy to explain.

Ben wears a T-shirt with that exact Roe v Wade comment. There are tons of photos of him in it.

And I mentioned the sex and race of his employer because 1) His bride-to-be is a Gothardite and they don't believe men should work for women. 2) African Americans aren't exactly well-represented in their world. So it's interesting that a potential son-in-law to the Duggars would find himself working for a black woman.

I apologize if combining two entirely different concepts within the same sentence was confusing for you.

I fully believe working at State Farm has something to do with his degree plan. Or maybe this is giving him the money he needs to be with Jessa. Maybe he is getting experience in realty to do up rent houses or flip them. There's a decent market here for that.

I'll be entirely happy to explain.

Ben wears a T-shirt with that exact Roe v Wade comment. There are tons of photos of him in it.

And I mentioned the sex and race of his employer because 1) His bride-to-be is a Gothardite and they don't believe men should work for women. 2) African Americans aren't exactly well-represented in their world. So it's interesting that a potential son-in-law to the Duggars would find himself working for a black woman.

I apologize if combining two entirely different concepts within the same sentence was confusing for you.

I know he wears it, but the way you phrased it seemed like you were trying to point out an irony.

As far as Jessa being a Gothardite, her religion depends on HIS religion under Gothards rules. He's not a Gothardite. Unless he converts (which seems very unlikely to me), she won't be anymore.

He's fundie life. Their branch of fundiedom determines their exposure to women holding jobs and minorities. It's unfair to assume he'd automatically be against those things or unaccustomed to them just because Jessa was raised in ATI.

As far as Jessa being a Gothardite, her religion depends on HIS religion under Gothards rules. He's not a Gothardite. Unless he converts (which seems very unlikely to me), she won't be anymore.

He's fundie life. Their branch of fundiedom determines their exposure to women holding jobs and minorities. It's unfair to assume he'd automatically be against those things or unaccustomed to them just because Jessa was raised in ATI.

The point is that Jim Bob approved him for his daughter so he's probably done a fair amount of due diligence with regard to Ben and his family.

As far as him being "fundie lite", how do you know that? Girls wearing pants in his family does not automatically equate to fundie lite. He's clearly a hardcore - perhaps militant - anti-abortionist, gets to know girls by engaging in "deep theological discussions", believes in courtship and isn't going to kiss the girl he's engaged to until after they are married. Jessa may be hoping she'll have more influence than most fundie women because he's currrently just teen boy, but he's clearly expected to become her headship when Boob transfers her over and we have no reason to believe he won't take that seriously.

Nothing about all this seems too "lite" to me.

Re: "I apologize if combining two entirely different concepts within the same sentence was confusing for you."

For the record, I was also confused by the sentence. Feel free to call me stupid if that is what makes you happy. It only reflects on you, not on me or anyone else in this forum.

Here is Ben's boss in Hot Springs

https://www.statefarm.com/agent/US/AR/H ... ZKGY51ZBAL

From her website:

Meet the team

Benjamin Seewald - Staff Assistant

Alan Spraggins - Multiple Line Representative

David Thompson - Team Leader

Jarreth Rougeau - Office Associate

The point is that Jim Bob approved him for his daughter so he's probably done a fair amount of due diligence with regard to Ben and his family.

As far as him being "fundie lite", how do you know that? Girls wearing pants in his family does not automatically equate to fundie lite. He's clearly a hardcore - perhaps militant - anti-abortionist, gets to know girls by engaging in "deep theological discussions", believes in courtship and isn't going to kiss the girl he's engaged to until after they are married. Jessa may be hoping she'll have more influence than most fundie women because he's currrently just teen boy, but he's clearly expected to become her headship when Boob transfers her over and we have no reason to believe he won't take that seriously.

Nothing about all this seems too "lite" to me.

I enjoy that you're ideas of what makes him fundie are "he is against abortion" (I know a lot of people who aren't fundies or fundie lite who are extremely pro birth) and "he's conforming to JB's rules of dating Jessa." If he didn't conform to those rules, they wouldn't be together. That hardly means he agrees with them on principle. I went along with some really strange rules when I dated boys who lived with their parents, and it had nothing to do with my beliefs. I just wanted to be with the boy and figured following the rules was the best option to both show I respected him and to ensure that we stayed together.

Many religions, even those that believe in QF approach, make exceptions for missionaries because they realize that the situation a missionary may be in may not be safe enough for pregnancy/birth/a child. In those cases, missionaries are (quietly) allowed to practice bc because God is calling them to do something other than being a mother.

Somewhere like Mexico isn't going to cut it as most people wont believe the situation is that dire to warrant bc (though this is incorrect, many places in Mexico are very remote/dangerous), but a place like Nepal might just because of how fundies will see it.

I could see Jill using her missionary work as a reason to use family planning without fully breaking from QF/Gothard.

Many religions, even those that believe in QF approach, make exceptions for missionaries because they realize that the situation a missionary may be in may not be safe enough for pregnancy/birth/a child. In those cases, missionaries are (quietly) allowed to practice bc because God is calling them to do something other than being a mother.

Somewhere like Mexico isn't going to cut it as most people wont believe the situation is that dire to warrant bc (though this is incorrect, many places in Mexico are very remote/dangerous), but a place like Nepal might just because of how fundies will see it.

I could see Jill using her missionary work as a reason to use family planning without fully breaking from QF/Gothard.

Don't you just hate the hypocrasy? They're anti-abortion... until Michelle Duggar activates labor early to save her life. Ummm that's abortion.

And women need to be baby-making machines... unless you're doing God's work, then you don't need to.

All these exceptions to the rules to make it convenient for the elite.

Archived