IGNORED

Alyssa & John - light dessert reception.

Justme

Since we're sharing awful weddings, I wanted to share this gem:

Ceremony Time: 2PM

Reception Start: 6 PM

Guests are encouraged to find something to do, like see a movie or go bowling (I just LOVE to bowl in my fancy wedding clothes!) during the 3 HOURS while the wedding party takes photos. Never mind over half the guests are from out of town, and the location (in Alabama) isn't known for being a "happenin' place".

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The CHEAPEST thing on the registry is a salt and pepper shaker. For $150. Next cheapest? A platter for $250.

Talk about inconsiderate and cash cow weddings.

Wait, A salt and pepper shaker, as in not two, but one? If that's what salt and pepper shakers cost, how much was the waste basket and the kitchen towel set? :lol: .... :?

On another note...eurgh. That's where you politely decline to attend or attend and give them a Wal-mart gift card. Remind them they're in Alabamer and not some fancy-shmancy place like Noo Yerk. :lol:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! I was a bridesmaid in a wedding like this. And SIX (6) of the groomsmen/ring bearer were named various versions of "Anthony" (Tony, Tony, Tony, Antonio, Anthony, Antonio Jr.), which still makes me laugh. A Mariachi band. Lots of tequila. I think the happy couple got almost enough to cover their honeymoon during the dollar dance (because your really getting $20, $50, $100 bills, not actual $1 bills). It was a great wedding :D .

Dang - in all the weddings in my family, everyone gives $1 bills, $5 at most.

I went to a wedding in the Yucatan a few years ago and the mariachi band played "Ode to Joy." It was awesome.

The CHEAPEST thing on the registry is a salt and pepper shaker. For $150. Next cheapest? A platter for $250.

Oh yeah, that is just begging for a $25 gift card to Target or something.

Oh yeah, that is just begging for a $25 gift card to Target or something.

I think they'd get a momma June response for that,when she said "what am I supposed to do w a $5 gift card from walmart?"

same for target and this crowd.

I LOVE bakery cake with their royal frosting and the light soft white cake so I've never minded Southern weddings with cake, punch, cheese straws, and mints. But then, I'm on a killer diet right now and I'm craving bakery cake something fierce.

I think they'd get a momma June response for that,when she said "what am I supposed to do w a $5 gift card from walmart?"

same for target and this crowd.

I'd make a donation to Heifer International or some other charitable group in their name. I'm sure they'd be upset but I doubt it's possible to please anybody with a wedding registry such as that.

I like weddings and have been to weddings in multiple cultures and religions both big wedding extravaganzas and small intimate gatherings.

The ones that had multiple bridesmaids and groomsmen, fancy fancy wedding dresses, a huge number of guests, registration at multiple places for gifts - all the bells and whistles also had a full meals + drinks (and generally, music and entertainment).

The ones that were more simple were the ones with a light dessert reception (I, myself served only strawberries, chocolate and Veuve Cliquot - but our legal wedding was at city hall and our fun wedding was in Vegas and we specifically asked for no gifts and there was no bridal party but my husband and I).

So the thing that bothers me about these fundies is the discrepancy. Alyssa (and John of course) will surely have multiple bridesmaids and there will be multiple groomsmen and a huge number of guests. There will be photo shoots and fancy dresses. Gifts WILL be expected. All the aspects of a wedding extravaganza BUT the meal. I don't know, it just seems greedy to me. They want the gifts but they don't want to "pay back" the guests with a nice meal and party.

I'm going to disagree here. Giving a gift is something you do with no expectation of anything in return. A wedding is a celebration for the couple getting married. It is a day about them. No one is owed anything or needs to be paid back. I also think that no one should be expected to give a gift outside their means however. Still, the whole, "We should at least get a decent meal since we showed up and brought a gift.' reeks of entitlement to me.

I'd make a donation to Heifer International or some other charitable group in their name. I'm sure they'd be upset but I doubt it's possible to please anybody with a wedding registry such as that.

With that kind of wedding registry, I am not sure I would even attend. That just screams gift grab in a major way and I would find it downright offensive.

Since we're sharing awful weddings, I wanted to share this gem:

Ceremony Time: 2PM

Reception Start: 6 PM

Guests are encouraged to find something to do, like see a movie or go bowling (I just LOVE to bowl in my fancy wedding clothes!) during the 3 HOURS while the wedding party takes photos. Never mind over half the guests are from out of town, and the location (in Alabama) isn't known for being a "happenin' place".

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

This reminds me of a wedding I attended a few years ago. It was a potluck reception. I was fine with making a dish as the bride and groom, both single parents, were quite poor.

After the church ceremony we were all supposed to meet at a local school gymnasium. My husband and I arrived with the other guests and waited for 2 HOURS for the groom and bride to show up. We learned afterward that they had decided to take advantage of their limo service by driving all over town and getting some takeout along the way.

All of the guests were bored to death famished and of course, we couldn't eat until the guests of honor arrived. After the potluck meal there was some dancing to country songs about drinking beer and driving pickup trucks and one song in particular about drinking beer with Jesus.

The cake had been made by one of the guests as her potluck contribution and there wasn't enough to go around. Unsurprisingly, we never received a thank you note for the generous gift we chose off the couple's registry.

With that kind of wedding registry, I am not sure I would even attend. That just screams gift grab in a major way and I would find it downright offensive.

I actually fake-registered for some items. I would put things on the registry, even if I had absolutely no interest in them, simply because they were in the appropriate price range. Then, when someone bought the item, I would quickly exchange it or get a store credit toward the things that I really needed. I did this with the baby registry too. Guests love to give cutesy stuff, but I really needed cleaning supplies instead of a hat-shaped chip-and-dip platter, and I really needed a breast pump instead of an expensive diaper bag.

I actually fake-registered for some items. I would put things on the registry, even if I had absolutely no interest in them, simply because they were in the appropriate price range. Then, when someone bought the item, I would quickly exchange it or get a store credit toward the things that I really needed. I did this with the baby registry too. Guests love to give cutesy stuff, but I really needed cleaning supplies instead of a hat-shaped chip-and-dip platter, and I really needed a breast pump instead of an expensive diaper bag.

BABY REGISTRY!!!

Please no!

Indeed we have those now, too.

Hang onto the chair cushions, I was recently introduced to a college registry. I declined to bite on that one.

Indeed we have those now, too.

Hang onto the chair cushions, I was recently introduced to a college registry. I declined to bite on that one.

I really am a dinosaur. Thankfully I have never seen a baby registry. I hope I never do!

College registry!! I send my niece beer money every month does that count? :lol:

I really am a dinosaur. Thankfully I have never seen a baby registry. I hope I never do!

College registry!! I send my niece beer money every month does that count? :lol:

O brave new world!

Baby registries are very common and quite acceptable in the US and Canada for the first child. It is considered a little OTT to have baby showers and registries for second babies but some people push it and have showers for every child!

College registries are new to me though. We usually give a card and cheque if invited to a high school graduation party or to kids we know really well. They can use that for college!

O brave new world!

Baby registries are very common and quite acceptable in the US and Canada for the first child. It is considered a little OTT to have baby showers and registries for second babies but some people push it and have showers for every child!

College registries are new to me though. We usually give a card and cheque if invited to a high school graduation party or to kids we know really well. They can use that for college!

College registries are new to me too but to honest I am not surprised. I also do a card and check for high school graduations and figure they can save that for college if they want.

I knew someone who had a shower for a second child. I had attended the shower for her first but declined the second because I felt that that was going a bit far.

I'm going to disagree here. Giving a gift is something you do with no expectation of anything in return. A wedding is a celebration for the couple getting married. It is a day about them. No one is owed anything or needs to be paid back. I also think that no one should be expected to give a gift outside their means however. Still, the whole, "We should at least get a decent meal since we showed up and brought a gift.' reeks of entitlement to me.

Equally obnoxious is the idea that bride and groom paid X amount of money per plate, therefore guests should bring a gift in kind...

I looooooved the baby registry! I didn't have a shower (no time, kids were early) and the registry was great for anyone who wanted to send the babies something when they came. Especially helpful bc in my experience without a registry, everyone buys a teeny tiny cute newborn outfit. Another plus to the registry was that it was a list of everything we still needed to get for the babies, a great way to stay organized and be less overwhelmed.

I looooooved the baby registry! I didn't have a shower (no time, kids were early) and the registry was great for anyone who wanted to send the babies something when they came. Especially helpful bc in my experience without a registry, everyone buys a teeny tiny cute newborn outfit. Another plus to the registry was that it was a list of everything we still needed to get for the babies, a great way to stay organized and be less overwhelmed.

Again as this whole thread is, this might be cultural. Also twinmama, two babies at once I understand you wanting easy :lol:

Just though what the hell does anybody need for a baby that requires a registry?

Kind of traditional here for the grandparents to get the pram and granted mine was the price of a small car but seriously it is not necessary. Cots can be expensive but again does not have to be. Sterilisers and pumps are not exactly super expensive and everything after that is nice but not exactly necessary? Nappies are a great gift I suppose.

I loved each and every little thing I received. Sure I exchanged some stuff but generally I was just really grateful for the gift and the thought. Including the absolute hideous puff pink hat and matching coat from a great Aunt of the partner. Bless her :lol: Think exploded cotton wool.

ETA. Car seat!! Necessity.

Again as this whole thread is, this might be cultural. Also twinmama, two babies at once I understand you wanting easy :lol:

Just though what the hell does anybody need for a baby that requires a registry?

Kind of traditional here for the grandparents to get the pram and granted mine was the price of a small car but seriously it is not necessary. Cots can be expensive but again does not have to be. Sterilisers and pumps are not exactly super expensive and everything after that is nice but not exactly necessary? Nappies are a great gift I suppose.

I loved each and every little thing I received. Sure I exchanged some stuff but generally I was just really grateful for the gift and the thought. Including the absolute hideous puff pink hat and matching coat from a great Aunt of the partner. Bless her :lol: Think exploded cotton wool.

ETA. Car seat!! Necessity.

I totally agree about a baby registry for a mama of twins or more. Us singleton moms, not so much. You just don't need all that stuff for a baby.

I hope that you had friends that were thoughtful enough to bring over meals for a while so that you didn't have to cook dinner for a while.

O brave new world!

Where I live, it is considered pretty tacky to have a shower for a subsequent baby, unless there is a huge gap in age between children - often second marriages or major "oops" babies. One thing that is common though, and that I like, is a "freezer" shower for moms-to-be who already have children. Every one brings a meal that can be put in the freezer for after the baby comes. It's a nice chance to get together and celebrate a new baby without being a gift grab.

Yet again, must depend where you are. Everyone I know had showers for each baby, and in my kids generation they all seem to have showers for each child. The gifts don't need to be huge or a big deal, it's a party to celebrate each pregnancy and new baby. No one cares if someone picks up a $5 toy as a gift, or is going to notice if someone can't give a gift.

Wait, A salt and pepper shaker, as in not two, but one? If that's what salt and pepper shakers cost, how much was the waste basket and the kitchen towel set? :lol: .... :?

On another note...eurgh. That's where you politely decline to attend or attend and give them a Wal-mart gift card. Remind them they're in Alabamer and not some fancy-shmancy place like Noo Yerk. :lol:

It was a fancy crystal combined salt shaker up top, pepper grinder on the bottom. LUCKILY I didn't have to buy any gifts as it was a wedding my best friend was going to (I was along for the shopping). She didn't have any choice, however, as the wedding was for her fiance's cousin.

It was a fancy crystal combined salt shaker up top, pepper grinder on the bottom. LUCKILY I didn't have to buy any gifts as it was a wedding my best friend was going to (I was along for the shopping). She didn't have any choice, however, as the wedding was for her fiance's cousin.

There are few places on earth where this type of timing is acceptable, and one is Disney World. If you want to have a 1pm wedding and a dinner reception after everyone has spent the afternoon at the parks, then go right ahead. My aunt's wedding was at 1pm in WDW ten years ago noon ceremony, dinner reception, zero complaints.

Was that the cheapest thing remaining on the registry or the cheapest thing they registered for? Regardless, even if it were my fiancé's brother, I would buy them a gift card to one of the stores they registered at and call it a day.

Archived