IGNORED

Alyssa & John - light dessert reception.

Justme

According to their web site, the wedding will be held at the Salem Baptist Church in Knoxville. A "light dessert" reception will follow.

What the heck is a light dessert reception? Wedding cake and cookies? I thought since she was marring into a political family, they might have a little nicer reception. Even Erin had baloney on a stick. :roll:

Is this the same church where Erin was married?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see a problem with a dessert reception as long as they make it clear to guests from the beginning and have the reception outside of regular meal times.

A friend of mine is about to have a light dessert reception for all invited (she works at a church, so they'll be plenty of not-close-friends guests) and then is doing a small, family only dinner afterwards. I think it's a good solution for when you have to decide between inviting all the people you want to invite vs. limiting guests solely on budget.

I'm glad a politician can let his son get married and not have it be all about him/his family.

Desert receptions seem to be the new thing in my area of young LDS church receptions. They usually have a chocolate fountain as the centerpiece, then some various cookies, cake bars and other small desert plates on the main table and then on the sides there are candy stations.

I like them better then they old tiny finger sandwiches and punch they was the norm for years.

It's a different church from Erin and Chad. There were married at Second Baptist in Clinton.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light dessert wedding reception so long as you let people know upfront. Weddings have gone totally out of control in extravagance, IM not so humble O, of course. Gah! it is about getting married not throwing the party of the decade! Disclaimer, I would much rather have eloped but was pressured into a bigger wedding than I wanted 33 years ago. I'm still sore about that.

The Bateses probably blew several years' food budget on Erin's extravagant nuptuals even as they defrayed the cost by letting TLC film it. Perhaps this Bates kid doesn't want an extravaganza like Erin's or to be filmed. I'd be willing to bet that Michael doesn't either but the Bateses have to plan for her wedding too.

A light dessert reception consists of non-alcoholic punch (usually sweet enough to make you want to hurl), wedding cake, many cup cakes and lots of cookies, optional mixed nuts, and non-optional mints.

Woe betide you if you forget the mints!

rather OT but the church name automatically made me think of the Salem Witch Trials :lol:

awful, sad and funny at the same time

maybe it's just my weird sense of humor

I never understood the big role mints play in receptions where savory food is not going to be served. I always associate them as needed after a rich meal to freshen your breath.

I do like the idea of a dessert reception, but then again I am a sucker for chocolate fountains and cutesy cupcakes. :D I can take or leave most wedding cakes. Mostly leave.

According to their web site, the wedding will be held at the Salem Baptist Church in Knoxville. A "light dessert" reception will follow.

What the heck is a light dessert reception? Wedding cake and cookies? I thought since she was marring into a political family, they might have a little nicer reception. Even Erin had baloney on a stick. :roll:

Is this the same church where Erin was married?

I actually think a dessert reception seems classier than baloney on a stick. It seems classier than the hand-mixed-by-church-ladies chicken salad that Smuggar had at his reception, for that matter. I could be wrong...it might end up being tacky, though. I guess it will depend on Alyssa's budget.

I actually think a dessert reception seems classier than baloney on a stick. It seems classier than the hand-mixed-by-church-ladies chicken salad that Smuggar had at his reception, for that matter. I could be wrong...it might end up being tacky, though. I guess it will depend on Alyssa's budget.

No matter the budget, it'll probably end up being slightly tacky.

In my hometown we call them Cake and Punch Receptions, typically a 2 or 3pm Wedding with little appetizer-sized desserts and wedding cake. The reception typically ends around 6pm and the bridal party and family have dinner together at another location.

For me, simple receptions are the norm and extremely classy - whether it be cake and punch or 9am wedding and brunch. These build your own mashed potato bar, roll your own cigar, Photo Booth, theme weddings are just odd to me.

I checked out their wedding registries--bright pink sheets and a fuchsia comforter, along with rose colored rugs and hot pink throws! Looks like someone is getting bedroom decorating tips from her sister!

I think it's nicer to do a simpler reception that you can afford to do right rather than a big reception/full meal where you have to cut corners. I honestly think this is cute, unique, and a great idea....especially if John and Alyssa are known for having a sweet tooth!

I wont snark on their registry, though the big sister in me wants to sit her down and say "No, honey. No. You'll regret this. You need neutrals so they'll last." I mean, I'm no Maxwell, but I've learned through trial and error that pops of color are best left to small things like throw blankets and pillows, and that big things like rugs, bedding, etc should be neutral (especially if you might not have the money to switch it out when your tastes change). That being said, I learned that the hard way by decorating my first house in a way that made it look like a Middle Eastern acid trip, so I really can't judge someone else for making the same mistakes I made.

Sounds like a good idea, especially if they're trying to save money!

I haven't been to a huge number of weddings, but a few, well, I kinda wish they put the money toward desserts instead of the meal served. If I get married, its gonna happen in my backyard, and the money is going toward 'stuff you BBQ' and 'you are not on a diet today desserts and candy'.

What does the Hobby Lobby sell? Last I checked she was asking for hobby lobby giftcards. I googled that and saw some religious lawsuit of Hobby Lobby, but not much else. Im guessing its a craft store?

Is it normal for people who have gifts mailed to open before the wedding? Comments were made on Bates site to the fact that Erin had opened her gifts as they arrived in the mail. Then again, if Alyssa preopens her gifts, she could get those gift cards to decorate the wedding...

Dare I ask what baloney on a stick is?

Folded coldcuts...daintily presented with an olive and toothpick. I thought it was actually ham?

Archived